Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Just wear the fucking mask, Bob

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

That awkward first hour of the morning when you're the only one there...

If you're not going to come in, email/message/call before your shift starts, or right at that time. Don't wait until an hour after.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sixth and maimed
Mar 20, 2012

Fun Shoe

Bob Morales posted:

What do you need to do?

We use BlackBerry UEM

I'm totally new to MDM, but I want to setup the devices quickly and remotely. I also don't want to setup a google account for each. Remote shutdown/wipe. They don't really need to be closed down much. That's about it. The only experience I have with setting up Android cell phones are my own.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

omg

boss 'renewed' our domain last night

he said you can't go from a yearly to a multi-year without letting it lapse

"They give you a 10 day grace period"

DOMAIN IS GONE THIS MORNING

mattfl
Aug 27, 2004

Bob Morales posted:

omg

Happy Friday!

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

If you have an iPhone, why can't you just use that for your zoom meeting? Why do you have to put in a level 10 I NEED A WAPTOP RIGHT NOWWWW ticket? Or just use your desktop. Nobody wants to see your ugly face.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

mattfl posted:

Happy Friday!

We also have this dumb DNS 'feature' where we can flip our records to point to our secondary ISP because we don't have real failover, and that's causing issues as well. Been trying to get rid of that stupid thing forever.

mattfl
Aug 27, 2004

Bob Morales posted:

If you have an iPhone, why can't you just use that for your zoom meeting? Why do you have to put in a level 10 I NEED A WAPTOP RIGHT NOWWWW ticket? Or just use your desktop. Nobody wants to see your ugly face.

We got requests for web cams during the height of covid when they were sold out everywhere because everyone needed to do teams meetings. Our response was, you have a cell phone, install teams and use the camera on your phone if you absolutely must have video for your teams meeting.

CollegeCop
Jul 11, 2005

You're right. I'm not a real cop. Those are imaginary handcuffs. And in a minute, we'll be going to the make-believe jail.
We recently restructured our call center, and added a bunch of new generalists (who are all outsourced from staffing agencies - a nightmare for another post).

About a month ago, we started getting slammed with calls about people not being able to log into one specific piece of software used by a certain team. These calls come during two distinct time periods of the day - which happen to coincide with the period of overlap between one shift coming on and one shift going off.

Turns out that when you increase the number of people using a piece of software that is licensed per seat without increasing the number of licenses. you run into a problem.

This is a known issue that has been going on for 4. loving. WEEKS.

The solution is to buy more licenses. It's pretty simple.

Instead, we get a notice in Teams chat twice a day - "We are maxed out on licenses for <software package>. Have callers trying to sign in for the start of their shift wait 10-15 minutes. As people sign out for the day, licenses will get freed up."

The Q3 earnings report was just released - the company is by no means hurting for money.

Just. Buy. More. Licenses.

mattfl
Aug 27, 2004

Why are C suite people so quick to send a "I need help send someone now to fix this issue" txt to my management but can't be bothered to send a "hey I fixed it never mind" txt.

tactlessbastard
Feb 4, 2001

Godspeed, post
Fun Shoe

Dick Trauma posted:

By all means notify me at 3pm about an I.T. controls audit questionnaire that needs to be completed by noon tomorrow.

Tuesday, my daytime counterpart was under a pipe carrying vodka that sprung a leak and after he fixed it he was in his office trying to dry off when he got a text that in 10 minutes he was going to lunch with the VP of North America and her visiting Senior VP boss.

mattfl
Aug 27, 2004

tactlessbastard posted:

Tuesday, my daytime counterpart was under a pipe carrying vodka that sprung a leak and after he fixed it he was in his office trying to dry off when he got a text that in 10 minutes he was going to lunch with the VP of North America and her visiting Senior VP boss.

Where do you work that your pipes carry vodka?!

i am a moron
Nov 12, 2020

"I think if there’s one thing we can all agree on it’s that Penn State and Michigan both suck and are garbage and it’s hilarious Michigan fans are freaking out thinking this is their natty window when they can’t even beat a B12 team in the playoffs lmao"
At first I thought this was some kind of euphemism for day drinking. "Ah jeez boss, the vodka pipe sprung a leak and the only way to fix it was by drinking all of it!" Now I don't know what to think.

ptier
Jul 2, 2007

Back off man, I'm a scientist.
Pillbug

tactlessbastard posted:

Perfect time to say “I’m very disinfected! For this amazing meeting”

Polio Vax Scene
Apr 5, 2009

Bob Morales posted:

omg

buy the domain on a personal account and tell him someone else bought it out from under us while it was expired

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Polio Vax Scene posted:

buy the domain on a personal account and tell him someone else bought it out from under us while it was expired

Pretty good scam from the registrar if they actually do require a "lapse" to make plan changes. Put it in their "valuable domain" tier and charge thousands to acquire it again.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Polio Vax Scene posted:

They've re-instated it for another year (1and1)
But the nameservers are pointing to 1and1

POINT THEM TO OUR DNS PROVIDER

"Hey can you xfer that poo poo to namecheap or gandi so we don't have to deal with this bullshit next year?"

"Sure, I'll do that next year"

Just do it now. gently caress.

tactlessbastard
Feb 4, 2001

Godspeed, post
Fun Shoe
I work at a liquor bottling plant

mattfl
Aug 27, 2004

tactlessbastard posted:

I work at a liquor bottling plant

Working IT at a liquor bottling plant must be awesome for your liver!

CPColin
Sep 9, 2003

Big ol' smile.

mattfl posted:

We got requests for web cams during the height of covid when they were sold out everywhere because everyone needed to do teams meetings. Our response was, you have a cell phone, install teams and use the camera on your phone if you absolutely must have video for your teams meeting.

As far as my coworkers know, there isn't a single camera anywhere in my house.

Polio Vax Scene
Apr 5, 2009

CPColin posted:

As far as my coworkers know, there isn't a single camera anywhere in my house.

company issued laptops have them built in :argh:

Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

You try to be happy when everyone is summoning you everywhere to "be their friend".

ahahaha oh boy :allears:

Honestly I'm genuinely shocked you got it back if it's with them. Absolute worst poo poo-tier bargain basement provider I've ever dealt with.

tactlessbastard
Feb 4, 2001

Godspeed, post
Fun Shoe

mattfl posted:

Working IT at a liquor bottling plant must be awesome for your liver!

I have a confession to make, I don't work in IT. But there's no 'poo poo that pisses you off: Manufacturing' thread :shrug:

SubjectVerbObject
Jul 27, 2009

tactlessbastard posted:

I have a confession to make, I don't work in IT. But there's no 'poo poo that pisses you off: Manufacturing' thread :shrug:

I am thinking that anyone who works in a liquor plant is welcome in any IT thread ever.

edit to ask: Do you write code in your spare time as a way to relieve the stress of making alcohol?

mattfl
Aug 27, 2004

tactlessbastard posted:

Fair enough, all are welcome here :)

So....do you get discounts? :)

Paladine_PSoT
Jan 2, 2010

If you have a problem Yo, I'll solve it

If we tour your plant can we get hosed down with vodka too?

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Veteran, Bermuda Triangle Expeditionary Force, 1993-1952

Also try the Corporate thread, there's manufacturing people in there too.

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3295066&userid=0&perpage=40&pagenumber=1

guppy
Sep 21, 2004

sting like a byob

mattfl posted:

Why are C suite people so quick to send a "I need help send someone now to fix this issue" txt to my management but can't be bothered to send a "hey I fixed it never mind" txt.

Is it not obvious? One of these things solves a problem they have. The other solves a problem somebody else has. Guess which one they care about.

tactlessbastard
Feb 4, 2001

Godspeed, post
Fun Shoe

mllaneza posted:

Also try the Corporate thread, there's manufacturing people in there too.

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3295066&userid=0&perpage=40&pagenumber=1

:eyepop:

Paladine_PSoT posted:

If we tour your plant can we get hosed down with vodka too?

In the 4 factories I've worked in it is by far the most restrictive about visitors (because the government has strong opinions about distilled spirits that haven't been taxed yet)

mattfl posted:

Fair enough, all are welcome here :)

So....do you get discounts? :)

They give bottles away and we get an allowance.

SubjectVerbObject posted:

I am thinking that anyone who works in a liquor plant is welcome in any IT thread ever.

edit to ask: Do you write code in your spare time as a way to relieve the stress of making alcohol?

Lol

Schadenboner
Aug 15, 2011

by Shine

tactlessbastard posted:

They give bottles away

Do they still have booze in them when they give you them?

:ohdear:

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Kyrosiris posted:

ahahaha oh boy :allears:

Honestly I'm genuinely shocked you got it back if it's with them. Absolute worst poo poo-tier bargain basement provider I've ever dealt with.

It's also IONOS by 1and1, to make it even better.

After I said we should move it, I got this reply:

Agreed. We should move it to Bigrock.com where we have (our other domain) hosted. They do 10 year renewals.

:colbert:

They are an EIG company

Bob Morales fucked around with this message at 21:07 on Dec 4, 2020

luminalflux
May 27, 2005

poo poo that pisses me off: I'm in the middle of trying to get our ansible and packer images working on arm64 because CircleCI finally added us to the arm64 preview, so we can see if the new Graviton instances will save us money.

ansible_architecture and uname -a report arch as x86_64 / aarch64.
Debian uses amd64 / arm64, as does Go.
And AWS, to be extra special, uses x86_64 / arm64 :psyduck:

Impotence
Nov 8, 2010
Lipstick Apathy
At least you don't have to select based on whether something is armv8l-linux-gnu or armv8l-linux-gnueabi or armv8l-linux-gnugnueabihf

Che Delilas
Nov 23, 2009
FREE TIBET WEED

guppy posted:

Is it not obvious? One of these things solves a problem they have. The other solves a problem somebody else has. Guess which one they care about.

Bingo. Executives are sociopaths more often than not.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Sociopaths that wake up every day resentful they have to pay their slaves.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

tactlessbastard posted:

Does your friend live in a sitcom, by any chance? :munch:

Dunno-Lars
Apr 7, 2011
:norway:

:iiam:

tactlessbastard posted:

Don't stop posting here even if you start posting somewhere else.

ptier
Jul 2, 2007

Pillbug

Dunno-Lars posted:

Don't stop posting here even if you start posting somewhere else.

Not empty quoting. Seriously don’t stop. You fit in here.

Schadenboner
Aug 15, 2011

by Shine
IT is really more of an ethos anyways?

:shrug:

ptier
Jul 2, 2007

Pillbug

Schadenboner posted:

IT is really more of an ethos anyways?

:shrug:

And dealing with assholes who won’t understand reality is universal! :eng101:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wibla
Feb 16, 2011

tactlessbastard posted:

Don't worry - just post :sun:

ptier posted:

And dealing with assholes who won’t understand reality is universal! :eng101:

This pretty much sums it up, anyways.

(I also don't work in IT - but in a related field - and IT doesn't have a monopoly on stupid users and lovely managers)