Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

buttchugging adderall
May 7, 2007

COME GET SOME

ghostinmyshell posted:

I'm not going to quit over this, but work has decided to roll back most of it's WFH policies already now that mostly everyone got their shot.

I've already asked and they still want people to remain in their offices and use chat vs in person discussion and meetings. What is the loving point?

Tax incentives from your state for having asses in seats, and justifying having office space.

Also they won’t be doing the “stay in your office and use chat” thing for long.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Don't forget the part where they like to exert their dominance over the peons.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Just wear the fucking mask, Bob

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

ghostinmyshell posted:

I'm not going to quit over this, but work has decided to roll back most of it's WFH policies already now that mostly everyone got their shot.

I've already asked and they still want people to remain in their offices and use chat vs in person discussion and meetings. What is the loving point?

Don't get the shot and they won't let you back in the office. Problem solved.

i am a moron
Nov 12, 2020

"I think if there’s one thing we can all agree on it’s that Penn State and Michigan both suck and are garbage and it’s hilarious Michigan fans are freaking out thinking this is their natty window when they can’t even beat a B12 team in the playoffs lmao"

Bob Morales posted:

Don't get the shot and they won't let you back in the office. Problem solved.

Haha oh Bob you scamp

Happiness Commando
Feb 1, 2002
$$ joy at gunpoint $$

xzzy posted:

Don't forget the part where they like to exert their dominance over the peons.

It's this

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

i am a moron posted:

Haha oh Bob you scamp

My wife's workplace has been letting people back into the office. They are required to get the shot by June 1st, or else they can't come in, mask or not. They can come in now, without the shot, but they have to wear a mask.

Some people have no intention of coming back to the office, and they are allowed to work from home. There are also quite a few people who do not want to get the shot or come into the office, so this works out perfectly for them.

Hughmoris
Apr 21, 2007
Let's go to the abyss!
Get the shot. Tell them you didn't, work from home. Best of both worlds.

stevewm
May 10, 2005
Got a request to setup a scanner for remote check deposit.

The scanner is supplied by the bank, it uses software that interfaces with the bank's website to upload and deposit checks.

It requires Internet Explorer.... in 2021... something new still requires loving Internet Explorer.

Also, I discovered today one vendor we buy from, still uses Windows server 2003. They have a terminal server you connect to remotely to run their quoting software. You briefly see the Windows 2003 Server login screen flash by.

Raerlynn
Oct 28, 2007

Sorry I'm late, I'm afraid I got lost on the path of life.

Hughmoris posted:

Get the shot. Tell them you didn't, work from home. Best of both worlds.

Unless you're in an at will state and then you get fired.

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009

Raerlynn posted:

Unless you're in an at will state and then you get fired.

HIPPA is one of the few fairly iron-clad things in America. Always refuse to talk about your health in any way to your employer unless it's to quit, request time off for medical (and even then don't be specific,) or request FMLA.

Fart Amplifier
Apr 12, 2003

DoomTrainPhD posted:

HIPPA is one of the few fairly iron-clad things in America. Always refuse to talk about your health in any way to your employer unless it's to quit, request time off for medical (and even then don't be specific,) or request FMLA.

HIPAA doesn't apply to this scenario.

chin up everything sucks
Jan 29, 2012

Not pissing me off: work from home forever has been approved, and I'm moving to Vegas for half the housing costs and no state income tax, with no pay reduction. Yeah, summer will suck but with so much stuff being delivered these days I don't need to actually leave the house unless it's nice outside.

Raerlynn
Oct 28, 2007

Sorry I'm late, I'm afraid I got lost on the path of life.

DoomTrainPhD posted:

Okay, so again, in an at will state, how does HIPPA shield you? You can be dropped for any reason that is not federally protected. Refusing a vaccine is not federally protected.

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Black summer was the best summer.

Fart Amplifier posted:

HIPAA doesn't apply to this scenario.

It does, but not in the way that the poster may expect. Your employer can’t get protected health information from your doctors and/or caregivers because those medical institutions are bound by hipaa.

But like the previous poster said, Atwill states can fire you and simply not declare the reason. Being fired because you refuse to get vaccinated is also not currently protected.

wolrah
May 8, 2006
what?

KozmoNaut posted:

ASRock Socket AM3 mobo with a Phenom II X6 1100T :q:

The mobo is the limiting factor, the cpu can handle 32GB

FYI as long as it has four slots it'll probably work just fine with 4x8GB DIMMs. Most motherboards only officially list support for whatever DIMMs are available for them to test with at the time, so if there's recently been a RAM generation transition as there had been when AM3 was new they may not have been able to test a maxed out config.

I can say for sure that myself and all of my friends who had AM3 systems were able to run 4x8 regardless of what the motherboard officially supported.

Usually it won't overclock the memory as well or even at all in these cases but if you're still running a Phenom II X6 I'd assume you aren't that kind of person.

Raerlynn posted:

Okay, so again, in an at will state, how does HIPPA shield you? You can be dropped for any reason that is not federally protected. Refusing a vaccine is not federally protected.
I think the idea is that you could lie about being unable to get the vaccine and they would not be able to legally obtain the information necessary to challenge that lie.

As noted if you told them you were refusing they could fire you for that in most states, and of course if they discovered you had lied they would probably fire you for that, but in theory as long as you don't tell them or anyone else who could tell them they should not be able to find out.

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

wolrah posted:

FYI as long as it has four slots it'll probably work just fine with 4x8GB DIMMs. Most motherboards only officially list support for whatever DIMMs are available for them to test with at the time, so if there's recently been a RAM generation transition as there had been when AM3 was new they may not have been able to test a maxed out config.

I can say for sure that myself and all of my friends who had AM3 systems were able to run 4x8 regardless of what the motherboard officially supported.

Usually it won't overclock the memory as well or even at all in these cases but if you're still running a Phenom II X6 I'd assume you aren't that kind of person.

I know my Celeron J4105 mini-ITX system officially only supports 8GB, but people have reported that 16GB and 32GB work perfectly fine.

I see 8GB DDR3 1333MHz sticks can be had for ~$55/each. It is kind of tempting, but I'm not really feeling a squeeze that warrants spending $220 on memory for a decade-old PC :v:

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Veteran, Bermuda Triangle Expeditionary Force, 1993-1952

stevewm posted:

It requires Internet Explorer.... in 2021... something new still requires loving Internet Explorer.

We've got a vendor charging us license fees for software implemented as ActiveX controls, so I feel ya.

Actively pissing me to an almost unprecedented degree. We're troubleshooting an issue where a vendor-supplied PC stopped talking to the instrument (machine #1). Machine #2 comes with vendor config and can talk to the instrument. It's a validated system (that will take weeks to re-qualify), so we restore an image of #1 from before it broke. It stops talking to the instrument. We restore an even older image, it won't talk to the instrument. We decide to swap the drive from #2 into #3 (also an identical vendor system) to rule out any weird hardware issues or subtly different system configuration.

The loving SATA cables are epoxied in place. At both ends.

ptier
Jul 2, 2007

Back off man, I'm a scientist.
Pillbug

mllaneza posted:

We've got a vendor charging us license fees for software implemented as ActiveX controls, so I feel ya.

Actively pissing me to an almost unprecedented degree. We're troubleshooting an issue where a vendor-supplied PC stopped talking to the instrument (machine #1). Machine #2 comes with vendor config and can talk to the instrument. It's a validated system (that will take weeks to re-qualify), so we restore an image of #1 from before it broke. It stops talking to the instrument. We restore an even older image, it won't talk to the instrument. We decide to swap the drive from #2 into #3 (also an identical vendor system) to rule out any weird hardware issues or subtly different system configuration.

The loving SATA cables are epoxied in place. At both ends.

When someone thinks the hard drive is the hardware key.

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Veteran, Bermuda Triangle Expeditionary Force, 1993-1952

ptier posted:

When someone thinks the hard drive is the hardware key.

Well it is now, isn't it ?

Impotence
Nov 8, 2010
Lipstick Apathy

mllaneza posted:

Well it is now, isn't it ?

I've seen plenty of stuff licensed via hard drive serial

SyNack Sassimov
May 4, 2006

Let the robot win.
            --Captain James T. Vader

Uggggh.

Finally moving our imaging to AutoPilot. I had held off the past few years figuring it wasn't quite baked yet, and just going by the various walkthrough blog posts made during 2020 I'm glad I did. I applaud all the first adopters fighting all the problems - you make my life easier. That said, it was still tricky because I wanted the same end result as a traditional MDT image - clean install of Windows with the apps/cleanup scripts/branding run on top, as opposed to starting from the lovely factory image. So I set up a task sequence for just the Win10 install, and then was using white-glove, excuse me, "AutoPilot pre-provisioning" so the user won't have to sit through 40 minutes of apps & Windows updates. (OK 15 minutes of apps, 25 minutes of Windows updates - seriously, Microsoft, the code / time bloat of the cumulative updates is getting ridiculous).

Had to set up lots of little things along the way - packaging scripts as Intune apps, incorporating Chocolatey for app deploy, figuring out manual import of devices into AutoPilot (since we haven't yet set up the OEM relationship), etc. But that's the fun bit, getting things to work and learning something along the way. What pisses me off: I finally fixed the last issue we were having this afternoon, and told my onsite tech to whiteglove the four test machines, at which point we discovered that A) Google had just pushed out a new version of Chrome this afternoon, B) Google doesn't have different version names for the installer, it's always named the same thing, and C) Chocolatey checks the file checksum before installing, so when they haven't yet updated the package checksum for the new version, the install fails.

This is a known problem and is even called out in the Chocolatey Chrome package notes (and it's a "core package" that they update "within 6 hours), but what's immensely irritating is Google's impeccable timing in uploading the new version JUST after I'd fixed the final issues and was ready to finalize the machines. Also now I have to decide whether to tell Choco to ignore checksums on Chrome, which could theoretically be a security risk, or just make sure the techs check the Chrome update schedule whenever imaging. Which isn't great.

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

We ran into the exact same thing with Chrome via Chocolatey, and I'm not 100% sure what we are going to end up doing with it yet. I will say that the best part of AutoPilot is not having to unbox and image machines and the White Glove route isn't what I'd suggest for most use cases once you get it down and you get the OEM to register devices to your tenant. We swapped out ~200 laptops without having to unbox any, just shipping them to the end users, and it was real nice.

SlowBloke
Aug 14, 2017

Internet Explorer posted:

We ran into the exact same thing with Chrome via Chocolatey, and I'm not 100% sure what we are going to end up doing with it yet. I will say that the best part of AutoPilot is not having to unbox and image machines and the White Glove route isn't what I'd suggest for most use cases once you get it down and you get the OEM to register devices to your tenant. We swapped out ~200 laptops without having to unbox any, just shipping them to the end users, and it was real nice.

If you have a hybrid AD and little payload in phase 2, whiteglove is the sole way to not have phase 3 crash and burn due to lack of AD objects missing in Azure. Also it's far quicker on the user as it will take far less time to just do phase 3 after providing credentials.

We solved the chrome issue by banning it from the list of supported apps, once we enroll all machines in defender atp we will do rules to mark it as PUA and block it from running.

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

We are hybrid and we were able to get through that issue. I believe the final fix was changing domain replication to using Change Notification.
https://pertorben.wordpress.com/2016/01/12/enable-immediate-replication-between-ad-sites/

[edit: Sorry, it's late and I'm tired. That was necessary due to our AD layout. I believe we were able to use a scheduled task to sync AD Connect every 5 minutes. I know that's not supported and there is supposed to be a throttle mechanism, but we haven't had a problem.]

Internet Explorer fucked around with this message at 06:58 on Apr 15, 2021

SlowBloke
Aug 14, 2017

Internet Explorer posted:

We are hybrid and we were able to get through that issue. I believe the final fix was changing domain replication to using Change Notification.
https://pertorben.wordpress.com/2016/01/12/enable-immediate-replication-between-ad-sites/

[edit: Sorry, it's late and I'm tired. That was necessary due to our AD layout. I believe we were able to use a scheduled task to sync AD Connect every 5 minutes. I know that's not supported and there is supposed to be a throttle mechanism, but we haven't had a problem.]

We have a lot of activity so we get hit by throttling(which slows down sync to worse values than the stock 30mins). Given how quirky is adsync we prefer to whiteglove everything rather than touching the "application formerly known as Forefront Identity Manager" :yaycloud:

SlowBloke fucked around with this message at 12:51 on Apr 15, 2021

i am a moron
Nov 12, 2020

"I think if there’s one thing we can all agree on it’s that Penn State and Michigan both suck and are garbage and it’s hilarious Michigan fans are freaking out thinking this is their natty window when they can’t even beat a B12 team in the playoffs lmao"
Woe be to anyone who uses the ADSync tools and recognizes that they’re using Forefront for the tooling. It means you’ve actually used it before, ask me about setting up bastion forests!

Also - unless you’re syncing some completely insane number of accounts (like hundreds of thousands with constant changes to... I dunno like all of them?) I’ve never seen ADSync do what you’re describing. It’s really not that involved.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Please pull and terminate data cables to the follow locations by EOB tomorrow 4/15.

Leave a good extra 10-20 feet on them in case they need to be moved. Remember if you are penetrating any firewalls that the fire putty is refilled, call maintenance for assistance if needed. Another reminder to make sure they are not run across the ceiling tiles and elevated in the j-hooks or other supports as needed to keep them off the ceiling tiles. If we don’t have enough cable let me know, I know there are a couple boxes floating around in the IDF’s.

Patch them all to the switches on VLAN 50 POE enabled

From IDF-A
2 cables – South Lobby near exit

From IDF-G
2 cables – North Lobby near exit
2 cables – North Lobby middle of lobby (spool extra/enough to moved anywhere in the lobby)

From MDF
1 cable – IT Office outside my office
1 cable – to corridor near entrance to admin (this one may be able be moved, see me for more detail)

Ugh. Call some cabling contractors. The second set aren't a big deal but the first have to go through all the finish work in the ceiling...we couldn't even do that last time.

I have four open tickets and have to work Friday night, don't really feel like pulling cable now.

klosterdev
Oct 10, 2006

Na na na na na na na na Batman!

Bob Morales posted:

Remember if you are penetrating any firewalls that the fire putty is refilled, call maintenance for assistance if needed.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Helpdesk guy isn't here tomorrow either. Boss can help do it tomorrow.

Security company is flying some guys out Monday to adjust the sensors last minute.

I'm going home to put on jeans.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

gently caress pulling cable. There's no way I can do it as well as a professional, and I also hate doing it.

Steakandchips
Apr 30, 2009

Bob, don't pull the cable. You're an IT worker, not an electrician.

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

Steakandchips posted:

Bob, don't pull the cable. You're an IT worker, not an electrician.

2 days ago:

Bob Morales posted:

I hate doing dumb simple poo poo that isn’t my job but I get paid the same either way.

Pickup sandwiches for a meeting because the admin assistant isn’t here today? Sure. I’ll also take a sandwich thanks.

Help the front desk lady put up a Christmas tree? Whatever. She drinks at work, I’ll have a Yeti cup of wine too.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

It’s more the “drop everything you’re doing and run this cable now” that I’m complaining about

Also the fact that the other guy won’t be here tomorrow. Can’t pull it myself. Poorly managed project or else we would have called the regular cable guys in

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Also lol if we have half a box Of cable and then another box with like only y22 feet left

Steakandchips
Apr 30, 2009

I was hoping he'd have osmosed some self respect in that time frame...

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Steakandchips posted:

I was hoping he'd have osmosed some self respect in that time frame...

If I said no I would imagine I would be written up

mattfl
Aug 27, 2004

Bob Morales posted:

Please pull and terminate data cables to the follow locations by EOB tomorrow 4/15.

Leave a good extra 10-20 feet on them in case they need to be moved. Remember if you are penetrating any firewalls that the fire putty is refilled, call maintenance for assistance if needed. Another reminder to make sure they are not run across the ceiling tiles and elevated in the j-hooks or other supports as needed to keep them off the ceiling tiles. If we don’t have enough cable let me know, I know there are a couple boxes floating around in the IDF’s.

Patch them all to the switches on VLAN 50 POE enabled

From IDF-A
2 cables – South Lobby near exit

From IDF-G
2 cables – North Lobby near exit
2 cables – North Lobby middle of lobby (spool extra/enough to moved anywhere in the lobby)

From MDF
1 cable – IT Office outside my office
1 cable – to corridor near entrance to admin (this one may be able be moved, see me for more detail)

Ugh. Call some cabling contractors. The second set aren't a big deal but the first have to go through all the finish work in the ceiling...we couldn't even do that last time.

I have four open tickets and have to work Friday night, don't really feel like pulling cable now.

lol at pulling your own cable, especially in a healthcare setting. Nope, we have a 3rd party vendor for all our cable pulling needs that know all the health related poo poo that has to be done to go thru walls and poo poo.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Also today: uhhh hey hon we are getting 14 iPads that need to be set up for dietary...we want to restrict them but we don’t know exactly to what

They aren’t here yet so wat least I won’t have to say “hey remember i spent Thursday and Friday pulling cable” when I get asked where the iPads are on Monday

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

mattfl posted:

lol at pulling your own cable, especially in a healthcare setting. Nope, we have a 3rd party vendor for all our cable pulling needs that know all the health related poo poo that has to be done to go thru walls and poo poo.

THE PUTTY

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

When I got to my last place, there was a spool of ethernet left over from the installers and I joked with my team that I'd break their fingers if I saw them using it. Very different approaches. :classiclol: