Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Judge Schnoopy
Nov 2, 2005

dont even TRY it, pal
Clearly you're not utilizing your off-hour time to focus on this project, and your lack of dedication is apparent.

And when you refuse to answer questions every day and handhold your coworker (because you're not on the project anymore) you'll be designated "Not a Team Player".

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

pixaal
Jan 8, 2004

All ice cream is now for all beings, no matter how many legs.

Judge Schnoopy posted:

Clearly you're not utilizing your off-hour time to focus on this project, and your lack of dedication is apparent.

"Off hours" work holy gently caress that poo poo pissed me off when I worked for a school system. We were extremely understaffed and way beyond on any tickets, with most being pretty simple stuff like "I need a new mouse" and "computer not turning on" when it was RAM creep on the 10 year old computers we had so it was a quick pop the RAM out put it back in. I could bang out 100 tickets in a day with half my time being travel (while another 300 were opened and the other 2 people would maybe close a combined 80). I was spoken to multiple times for responding to / closing tickets during the day. Teachers went home at 3PM I worked until 5PM what exactly did you want me to do for 2 hours? You want me to just sit around and play WoW like the other 2 clowns did after you left at 3PM with the teachers?

Also gently caress spending an additional hour of my day at home closing tickets I don't work for free.

That job was terrible.

e: close more tickets wasn't the answer as most teachers would open it back up no matter what saying the issue was not resolved without checking, and I'd be spoken to about lack of communication if I attempted to actually do tickets after teachers left.

pixaal fucked around with this message at 20:29 on Jun 22, 2017

Corsair Pool Boy
Dec 17, 2004
College Slice

MF_James posted:

This is now what I do more often than not, but I hate it.

The biggest reason I hate it is because e-mail shouldn't be some sort of dumb conversation where we send each other 1-2 sentences, I should be able to dump info/questions/whatever and then you read it all and respond in kind, if I wanted to converse with you, I would loving call your phone.

I'm almosy incapable of writing emails under 100 words.

Corsair Pool Boy
Dec 17, 2004
College Slice

Technical Analysis posted:

If you can't take the time to answer my questions so I can fix your problems, then they're clearly not that big an impact on the business. I'll get back to you in my own time, as I've got more important issues to deal with.

Seriously, if an end user can't grasp the basic concept of following instructions, or answering all my questions at once, that's not my fault. Unless my job is training these folks in the tech they use, holding their hands is not going to happen.

If you can read, you can follow instructions, if you don't follow instructions and your meeting time wasn't booked, that's on you.

I'm willing to give end users a month grace period when switching over to a new process, but the further away we get from the time of the policy change, the less a priority I put on someone who can't follow policy.

This is less of a valid option when you are trying to drag info out of an AM or PM to fix a customer's problem.

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

PM at sub has ignored my e-mails and phone calls all week and is now on vacation.

All I wanted was to find out if one of her analysts would have been available for a conference call on Monday. "No" would have been an acceptable answer.

Corsair Pool Boy
Dec 17, 2004
College Slice

Judge Schnoopy posted:

One of the most important things I learned early on is to always provide an option that the respondent can say "Yes" to.

What time works best for you on Tuesday? ---> Will Tuesday at 10 AM work?

I need the following 6 answers from you ---> Can you provide me these answers by 5 PM tomorrow?

Once people say Yes they'll be much more inclined to meet your arbitrary deadline.

Part of this sometimes works. I'm not in a position to arbitrarily set deadlines for replies, but laying out either/or options and making clear that we are a 24/7/365 NOC in advance does seem to speed things up.

Also, gently caress people that just flat out don't reply to emails ever. We will get alerts for SQL jobs for companies that dont give us access to their SQL. Which is fine. But we get the alerts, inform the customer, and never hear back. Get one again the next day, no reply sometimes for a week or longer. Eventually when we go through old tickets we find out the alerts have stopped. How loving hard is it to reply saying 'we're looking into it' or 'resolved' ? :mad:

Corsair Pool Boy
Dec 17, 2004
College Slice

The Fool posted:

PM at sub has ignored my e-mails and phone calls all week and is now on vacation.

All I wanted was to find out if one of her analysts would have been available for a conference call on Monday. "No" would have been an acceptable answer.

Good, this is not only me.

milk milk lemonade
Jul 29, 2016
If your email is longer than two paragraphs I'm not reading that and gently caress you for sending it.

Bunni-kat
May 25, 2010

Service Desk B-b-bunny...
How can-ca-caaaaan I
help-p-p-p you?

milk milk lemonade posted:

If your email is longer than two paragraphs I'm not reading that and gently caress you for sending it.

gently caress off. If I'm sending it that long, it's important and you better loving read it or I'm not going to help you when you have a problem related to it.

milk milk lemonade
Jul 29, 2016
get concise

Elizabethan Error
May 18, 2006

learn to read english :rolleyes:

Bunni-kat
May 25, 2010

How can-ca-caaaaan I
help-p-p-p you?

I'm sorry that you feel imparting information is a task to be avoided, so my suggestion to you is to gently caress off completely.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

You should insert screenshots every couple sentences and draw arrows signalling to the reader what you want them to do.

Judge Schnoopy
Nov 2, 2005

dont even TRY it, pal
I kinda see where he's coming from. Not that I would ever disregard an email for being long, but I've seen lovely staff do it all the loving time. "Boy this one's a doozy, I'll circle back and read it this afternoon when I have more time" and then they completely forget.

I've found success in taking long emails, formatting them in a word document with short paragraphs, headers for each paragraph, and then summarizing the document in 4 sentences or less in the actual email body. Then I put any actionable requests in the email body which will have a much higher chance of being read.

NewForumSoftware
Oct 8, 2016

by Lowtax

Avenging_Mikon posted:

gently caress off. If I'm sending it that long, it's important and you better loving read it or I'm not going to help you when you have a problem related to it.

If you have two pages worth of important information chances are the body of an email is a terrible place for it.

Bunni-kat
May 25, 2010

How can-ca-caaaaan I
help-p-p-p you?

NewForumSoftware posted:

If you have two pages worth of important information chances are the body of an email is a terrible place for it.

He said two paragraphs. If your paragraphs are a page long, you're poo poo at communication overall.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

I think the real takeaway is that email is a horrible communication medium.

Too short, might as well chat.

Too long, not going to read it.

anthonypants
May 6, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dinosaur Gum

Avenging_Mikon posted:

I would have had no idea this is such a point of contention, and I can only imagine that the people upset over having to read emails just aren't important enough to care.

Raerlynn
Oct 28, 2007

Sorry I'm late, I'm afraid I got lost on the path of life.

anthonypants posted:

I would have had no idea this is such a point of contention, and I can only imagine that the people upset over having to read emails just aren't important enough to care.

Most of my emails are short and to the point. The few times I've gone long though involved calling out bullshit or burying some fucker who tried to blame me for his mistakes.

anthonypants
May 6, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dinosaur Gum

Raerlynn posted:

Most of my emails are short and to the point. The few times I've gone long though involved calling out bullshit or burying some fucker who tried to blame me for his mistakes.
No one is saying that all of your emails have to be long. No one is even saying that all of your emails are important. People are arguing with someone who said that if they are sending an email, and it is long, then it is important, and if the recipient does not read it then there will be consequences. That should not be controversial or upsetting.

pixaal
Jan 8, 2004

All ice cream is now for all beings, no matter how many legs.

People not reading email is exactly why there are so many meetings, most of the time the people calling the meetings are the people who are ignoring emails that say all the poo poo they are trying to discuss, or at the very least present and being held accountable to browse facebook on their phone in front of people so when they don't know something they can be told it was talked about at the meeting and since it was confusing there is going to be another meeting to clarify it so they can play with this phone again.

Bunni-kat
May 25, 2010

How can-ca-caaaaan I
help-p-p-p you?

anthonypants posted:

No one is saying that all of your emails have to be long. No one is even saying that all of your emails are important. People are arguing with someone who said that if they are sending an email, and it is long, then it is important, and if the recipient does not read it then there will be consequences. That should not be controversial or upsetting.

Thanks, you worded it perfectly

Raerlynn
Oct 28, 2007

Sorry I'm late, I'm afraid I got lost on the path of life.

anthonypants posted:

Yup, meant that as a support, not arguing against.

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

Doing the complete opposite of pissing me off to a huge degree. The HR manager postponed a meeting about benefits I was going to have with her today. Because she's giving me an offer letter tomorrow, so we might as well do both at the same time.

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

There's a reason I went to the HR director's office to have a 5 minute conversation before sending an 8 paragraph e-mail.

The conversation was to make sure we were on the same page, and the e-mail was a summary of the conversation plus additional technical detail.

If I had sent the e-mail without reaching out in any way ahead of time, it would have just been ignored.

It's still going to be ignored, but at least now I can say "Remember that conversation we had? I e-mailed you the details when we were done."

milk milk lemonade
Jul 29, 2016

anthonypants posted:

I have to read and respond to 70+ emails a day about everything from technical issues to managerial decisions/strategy to personnel issues. I'm not going to spend any of my time reading a sperglords CYA manifesto. Get to the god drat point.

Bunni-kat
May 25, 2010

How can-ca-caaaaan I
help-p-p-p you?

I have to read and respond to 70+ emails a day about everything from technical issues to managerial decisions/strategy to personnel issues. I'm not going to spend any of my time reading a sperglords CYA manifesto. Get to the god drat point.

gently caress off.

Elizabethan Error
May 18, 2006

man you're really doubling down on not having a meaningful attention span/ reading comprehension

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

tl;dr

anthonypants
May 6, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dinosaur Gum

Have you tried not posting on the Something Awful forums yet

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

EMAIL... THE INTERNET... SEARCH ENGINES...
This sure is an exciting and entertaining derail!

Peachfart
Jan 21, 2017

I always thought email was exactly meant for longer conversations, chat was for short bullet points and quick questions.
If you really can't read more than 2 paragraphs you are either way way overworked or lazy. Tech is complicated.

milk milk lemonade
Jul 29, 2016

Agreed.

Corsair Pool Boy
Dec 17, 2004
College Slice

Peachfart posted:

I always thought email was exactly meant for longer conversations, chat was for short bullet points and quick questions.
If you really can't read more than 2 paragraphs you are either way way overworked or lazy. Tech is complicated.

A Pinball Wizard
Mar 23, 2005

I know every trick, no freak's gonna beat my hands

College Slice
You know what grinds my gears? Posting in the wrong thread.

JewKiller 3000
Nov 28, 2006

by Lowtax

this makes you a bad manager and i would hate to work under you

milk milk lemonade
Jul 29, 2016
I don't think anyone I work with knows I don't like overly long emails. Or that I vent about it on the internet.

They may sometimes get confused when I only respond to 1/4 of what they wrote in their emails, but as long as their follow up is shorter than War and Peace it all gets figured out.

Edit: and it has nothing to do with being a manager. My volume of emails was just as high when I was consulting.

milk milk lemonade fucked around with this message at 02:12 on Jun 23, 2017

Judge Schnoopy
Nov 2, 2005

dont even TRY it, pal
Reading a long email can't take more than 5 or 10 minutes though. It's a pretty trivial hill to die on. You're not wasting half an hour.

Elizabethan Error
May 18, 2006

I don't think anyone I work with knows I don't like overly long emails. Or that I vent about it on the internet.

They may sometimes get confused when I only respond to 1/4 of what they wrote in their emails, but as long as their follow up is shorter than War and Peace it all gets figured out.

Edit: and it has nothing to do with being a manager. My volume of emails was just as high when I was consulting.
your coworkers probably think you're simple or have unmedicated ADD vov

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

milk milk lemonade
Jul 29, 2016

Elizabethan Error posted:

your coworkers probably think you're simple or have unmedicated ADD vov

My ADD is totally insane actually please quit shaming me for my disability

Judge Schnoopy posted:

Reading a long email can't take more than 5 or 10 minutes though. It's a pretty trivial hill to die on. You're not wasting half an hour.

Unless you're in meetings 5+ hours a day, then it turns into a horrendous slog

I'll stop now you guys are really mean 😭