Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bunni-kat
May 25, 2010

Service Desk B-b-bunny...
How can-ca-caaaaan I
help-p-p-p you?

xzzy posted:

Oh and we also have to submit our home owner's/rental insurance number. :downs:

Okay, all that other poo poo's really bad and dumb, but I have a question about this part: I thought working from home you were covered by your workplace insurance still, since it's still your site of employment? So why would they need your insurance?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

fishmech posted:

Yeah there's no way this wasn't some dumbass manager or executive hearing some advice that you should end work from home because BIG COMPANY X did it and they're doing great. So they told legal to find some way to harass people into not working from home by doing some complex process with the excuse of legal liability.

100% this.

The issue is that I don't want to work from home. I've never wanted to work from home and have never asked for it. But we do have an on-call rotation so there is a non-zero chance that I will get paged to fix something that crashed. This qualifies as "work from home" and thus obligates me to navigate this bullshit bureaucracy.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Avenging_Mikon posted:

Okay, all that other poo poo's really bad and dumb, but I have a question about this part: I thought working from home you were covered by your workplace insurance still, since it's still your site of employment? So why would they need your insurance?

This question has been asked, and not answered. Everyone is pissed about and all we can get for explanation is "sorry legal said so!"

ChubbyThePhat
Dec 22, 2006

Who nico nico needs anyone else

xzzy posted:

This question has been asked, and not answered. Everyone is pissed about and all we can get for explanation is "sorry legal said so!"

This definitely screams "we have to stop people from working from home".

dogstile
May 1, 2012

fucking clocks
how do they work?
poo poo that pisses me off: Users who walk up to my desk to tell me their laptop is loving up.

poo poo that makes me laugh: Said user getting annoyed when I tell her to go pick up her laptop and bring it back with her.

Judge Schnoopy
Nov 2, 2005

dont even TRY it, pal
C-Level: We need cameras at this new site. Probably 8.
Me: OK, we have a site-to-site VPN connection that utilizes our internet bandwidth so we need a separate server and storage on-site. Whole thing with wiring and installation is probably 20k to be on the safe side.

...weeks later...

C-Level: I got the funds approved, we put aside $7500. Let me know when we can start ordering.

I hope you have a magic wallet that can double whatever money you put in, you'll be lucky to get a single camera on that system before the money is gone.

The Cubelodyte
Sep 1, 2006

Practicing Hypnolaw since 1990
Grimey Drawer
The ordering cutoff for poo poo hitting the FY16-17 books closed on Tuesday. One of our supported departments has just flooded me with requests for poo poo they should have ordered in March when I gave them the list of equipment due for a refresh, and the idiot AA is asking if I can fudge things so the purchase hits the closing year's ledger.

No. gently caress you. You pull this poo poo all the time and aren't worth me trying to get favors from our business office. I probably could, even though the purchasers are all hair-on-fire because of fiscal close, because I have a really good relationship with our purchasers, but no. You aren't worth it.

To recap: gently caress you.

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

FUUUUCCCK.

My director hasn't signed off on the offer letter yet and had to leave early. I might be able to go over it with HR today anyway and just talk with him Monday. Goddammit I just want this to be done.

bobfather
Sep 20, 2001

I will analyze your nervous system for beer money

Judge Schnoopy posted:

C-Level: We need cameras at this new site. Probably 8.
Me: OK, we have a site-to-site VPN connection that utilizes our internet bandwidth so we need a separate server and storage on-site. Whole thing with wiring and installation is probably 20k to be on the safe side.

...weeks later...

C-Level: I got the funds approved, we put aside $7500. Let me know when we can start ordering.

I hope you have a magic wallet that can double whatever money you put in, you'll be lucky to get a single camera on that system before the money is gone.

We did 26 cameras at our site. Cost to run cabling and all hardware including the server to run it was less than $6000, but we rolled it in home. Our quote from a "security camera guy" was 10k for 13 cameras with worse specs all around.

All I'm saying is, $20k seems high. Someone is making 3-400% profit on each piece of hardware with that budget.

wolrah
May 8, 2006
what?
Yeah, $7500 for 8 cameras plus storage is easy.

I know UniFi Video isn't the highest end gear but I like it, and they're $150 per camera, so that's $1200 there.

The server end of it is a cross-platform Java application, which is moderately distasteful because Java but it means you can run it on whatever hardware you want. They sell a consumer-grade "NVR" box that you don't want and are about to start selling a branded Supermicro server which you might want depending on price.

If you don't have a server already with disk capacity to spare you could install this with ease on pretty much any of those NAS devices that expose their Linux internals.

Unless you want to go really crazy with the disk space I don't see any trouble keeping it under $2500 in hardware with that. Wiring is obviously situational but the cost for that is pretty much the same no matter what solution you go with.

Judge Schnoopy
Nov 2, 2005

dont even TRY it, pal
$6000 is loving nuts. We use Axis cameras with Milestone software, which runs us $800 a camera with hardware, support, and licensing.

Now that I'm looking at the numbers, if I stuff two 2 TB HDs in the desktop computer I'll use as a server I'll have plenty of storage which saves a bunch. I'll probably end up finishing at $8k if they don't add any cameras, but I know they will.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

The Synology CCTV app is quite good now as well. Synchronized playback of recordings, lots of devices supported etc. If you need to buy hardware anyway to run Milestone on then it's worth a look. That and some 4MP Hikvision cameras should get you a really good setup for not a lot of cash.

I don't have any desire to go back to dealing with that sort of thing, but that's what I'd do if it was part of my job description.

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

Well, gently caress. I got the offer letter. It's on the low end of average for the tier 1 application support I was hired for, let alone the BI report development I have been and will continue to be doing.

Worst case I guess I hang around for another 6 months and jump ship for more money, but I'm going in to negotiate hard on Monday. Sadly I have no BATNA.

Basically the raise won't even be enough to cover having to pay for health insurance.

DigitalMocking
Jun 8, 2010

Wine is constant proof that God loves us and loves to see us happy.
Benjamin Franklin
For years and years, both as a consultant and as a FTE that last few years I've been harping on having data retention policies. All of my requests, suggestions, plans etc have been shot down. We have EVERY email that's been sent for the last 12 years archived. We have tapes of file shares going back about the same length of time.

Guess who just got sued?

SyNack Sassimov
May 4, 2006

Let the robot win.
            --Captain James T. Vader

DigitalMocking posted:

For years and years, both as a consultant and as a FTE that last few years I've been harping on having data retention policies. All of my requests, suggestions, plans etc have been shot down. We have EVERY email that's been sent for the last 12 years archived. We have tapes of file shares going back about the same length of time.

Guess who just got sued?

That's not 100% a patent troll suit but it's getting pretty drat close. Maybe Amazon's Echo department will do an amicae brief? Interesting too that they went after the sound companies and not Amazon/Google who are also using the tech - probably figured that was biting off more than they could chew.

Anyway gently caress them, gently caress your management for being idiots, and as usual the only people who will win are the lawyers billing thousands of hours of ediscovery for trawling through 12 years of emails and files.

Greatbacon
Apr 9, 2012

by Pragmatica
Not strictly internal corporate bullshit, but as someone going through :yotj: shenanigans, when someone in HR asks for your schedule for a phone screen and you reply saying "anytime works but these days", replying with an appointment on one of the days I explicitly asked to not be scheduled on puts me in a position where I'm less than thrilled to continue the interview process.

Moatman
Mar 21, 2014

Because the goof is all mine.
SHSC I need your help. I'm currently unemployed and have a likely job offer from a Koch-funded entity to do helldesk, don't know how long, don't currently know the pay. Should I bite and try to milk some of that sweet sweet conservative cash into my leftist hellmouth? Or should I let this one pass to the wind no matter what, even though I'd just be an IT monkey.

Sheep
Jul 24, 2003
Idealism doesn't pay the bills dude.

Virigoth
Apr 28, 2009

Corona rules everything around me
C.R.E.A.M. get the virus
In the ICU y'all......

Rule #1: Always get the money first.

Moatman
Mar 21, 2014

Because the goof is all mine.
Yeah, I talked to my parents and some friends and I'm deffo more okay with it. Gonna milk them for everything I can get though.

Fil5000
Jun 23, 2003

HOLD ON GUYS I'M POSTING ABOUT INTERNET ROBOTS

Moatman posted:

SHSC I need your help. I'm currently unemployed and have a likely job offer from a Koch-funded entity to do helldesk, don't know how long, don't currently know the pay. Should I bite and try to milk some of that sweet sweet conservative cash into my leftist hellmouth? Or should I let this one pass to the wind no matter what, even though I'd just be an IT monkey.

Hi, I'm thoroughly left wing and my last three employers have been a multinational bank, a multinational credit reference agency and a big energy provider. Take the money and do good with it. Also use it to feed and clothe yourself.

Aunt Beth
Feb 24, 2006

Baby, you're ready!
Grimey Drawer
Do as mediocre of a job as your going self can. Take their money, don't give them much to show for it.

RadicalR
Jan 20, 2008

"Businessmen are the symbol of a free society
---
the symbol of America."

Moatman posted:

Just remember not to touch the poop.

Mr. Fix It
Oct 26, 2000

💀ayyy💀

Moatman posted:

Yeah, I talked to my parents and some friends and I'm deffo more okay with it. Gonna milk them for everything I can get though.

Depending on your tolerance for Stephen Dubner, you might want to listen to the last couple of episodes of Freakonomics Radio. They're about Charles Koch, mostly an interview of him.

DigitalMocking
Jun 8, 2010

Benjamin Franklin

Super Soaker Party! posted:

That's not 100% a patent troll suit but it's getting pretty drat close. Maybe Amazon's Echo department will do an amicae brief? Interesting too that they went after the sound companies and not Amazon/Google who are also using the tech - probably figured that was biting off more than they could chew.

Anyway gently caress them, gently caress your management for being idiots, and as usual the only people who will win are the lawyers billing thousands of hours of ediscovery for trawling through 12 years of emails and files.

I spent almost 4 hours in meetings yesterday discussing how/what our policies will be once this suit is settled.

Basically an employee of ours used to work for someone else, brought IP with him, blah blah from what I understand the scuttlebut is.

As long as I get to nuke every email older than 3 years when this is done, it'll be a good thing<tm>

Methylethylaldehyde
Oct 23, 2004

BAKA BAKA

DigitalMocking posted:

I spent almost 4 hours in meetings yesterday discussing how/what our policies will be once this suit is settled.

Basically an employee of ours used to work for someone else, brought IP with him, blah blah from what I understand the scuttlebut is.

As long as I get to nuke every email older than 3 years when this is done, it'll be a good thing<tm>

Whatever you do, get it all in writing, make it official policy, and make sure that it's automated and that violations require technical steps to defeat. Disable pst files, set archival rules on the server, and have a hard cutoff date.

Corsair Pool Boy
Dec 17, 2004
College Slice

Moatman posted:

Like others have said, you've gotta eat. If you already had a job, that's one thing, but you need to take it.

Just keep looking. If you get a comparable offer from a non-poo poo company in a month, take it. Most companies have something like a 90 day probational period anyway; if they can ditch you on a whim, you can certainly do the same. And I agree, just do the minimum required until you :yotj: again.

In another industry, I was working at a business that got bought by Koch. Fortunately, my boss wanted nothing to do with that too, so our whole department and a really good sales guy walked and started up a competitor, and we brought most of the business with us. I still feel good about that.

DigitalMocking
Jun 8, 2010

Benjamin Franklin

Methylethylaldehyde posted:

Whatever you do, get it all in writing, make it official policy, and make sure that it's automated and that violations require technical steps to defeat. Disable pst files, set archival rules on the server, and have a hard cutoff date.

I've had a couple of run-ins with my director lately. He'll ask about something, start talking something up, and I'll ask him if he's willing to make it a policy in writing.

Unless he does, I'm not loving doing it. I love where I work, but jesus christ we're 100M dollar company acting like a loving garage startup some days.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Just wear the fucking mask, Bob

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

some dipshit manager is putting new employee helpdesk tickets in as I post this (Sunday) - anyone care to guess when they start?

vanity slug
Jul 20, 2010

Bob Morales posted:

some dipshit manager is putting new employee helpdesk tickets in as I post this (Sunday) - anyone care to guess when they start?

last week?

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

I had someone send in a request at 9:45 PM on a Friday, a follow up on Sunday, and then another angry follow-up on Monday about how he hadn't heard anything after multiple contact attempts.

I like how at this job I don't have to kiss the asses of people like that.

Judge Schnoopy
Nov 2, 2005

dont even TRY it, pal
I'll continue to count my blessings that people at my job respect my time and schedule, and if they don't tell me somebody is starting until two days before they show up (rare) they are apologetic and blame themselves if their station isn't set up on time.

I even got a supervisor to fill out an offboarding form detailing who gets access to what and when that access stops!

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

EMAIL... THE INTERNET... SEARCH ENGINES...

Bob Morales posted:

They were already fired

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Just wear the fucking mask, Bob

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

The next town over is having flooding issues so my one helpdesk guy might not be in on Monday and I told my other guy if he can figure any reason to be late in the morning, do it.

These guys work out in the shop for almost their whole first week so they don't really need to know how to do the computers/phone the first day.

Peachfart
Jan 21, 2017

Bob Morales posted:

The next town over is having flooding issues so my one helpdesk guy might not be in on Monday and I told my other guy if he can figure any reason to be late in the morning, do it.

These guys work out in the shop for almost their whole first week so they don't really need to know how to do the computers/phone the first day.

I'd say a better response would be 'Due to the late notice, this request will take a few days to complete. Please notify us earlier next time.'
Passive-aggressiveness at work rarely goes well.

Che Delilas
Nov 23, 2009
FREE TIBET WEED

22 Eargesplitten posted:

I had someone send in a request at 9:45 PM on a Friday, a follow up on Sunday, and then another angry follow-up on Monday about how he hadn't heard anything after multiple contact attempts.

I like how at this job I don't have to kiss the asses of people like that.

My favorite way to respond to this kind of thing is to be completely factual. "Oh, I don't work on evenings or weekends." No apology, no suggestions on how they get their issue handled faster next time, no offer to compromise or give them an off-hours helpdesk number. Just the pure facts of why their ticket was not answered until Monday, with the underlying implication that this poo poo aint gonna change any time soon.

Foxtrot_13
Oct 31, 2013
Ask me about my love of genocide denial!

Peachfart posted:

I'd say a better response would be 'Due to the late notice, this request will take a few days to complete. Please notify us earlier next time.'
Passive-aggressiveness at work rarely goes well.

No no no, passive aggressiveness doesn't work, it shows how your dept is not a team player and is not enabling the money makers to make money.

What you need to say first thing Monday is to apologise for the late response but the helpdesk only runs 8-5 Monday to Friday and that you would be glad to support the managers business plan to turn the help desk 24/7 with the increase in headcount and budget. As it stands this will have to be a rush job so the equipment will need to be same day delivery (with the increased cost) and as the working time for Monday and Tuesday is currently fully allocated this will have to be done as overtime and as it will be a couple of hours evening refeshments will also have to be supplied. Please authorise this additional expenditure and supply your cost center so you can get on this asap. Please bear in mind that some day has to be ordered before noon. In future could you give us the 5 days notice as is SLA so this additional expenditure won't need to be incurred.

In all seriousness by saying no you look like the bad person to these sociopaths who run things. By giving them the only practical solution you turn the tables on them to say yes or no.

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

Che Delilas posted:

My favorite way to respond to this kind of thing is to be completely factual. "Oh, I don't work on evenings or weekends." No apology, no suggestions on how they get their issue handled faster next time, no offer to compromise or give them an off-hours helpdesk number. Just the pure facts of why their ticket was not answered until Monday, with the underlying implication that this poo poo aint gonna change any time soon.

Yep, I said that his first request came in at 9:45 on a Friday, and I only work M-F. Even if we were fully staffed, we haven't set up an on call rotation.

Most of our employees work weekends, but nobody in this office does.

stevewm
May 10, 2005
Re: camera chat..

$800 per camera? Ouch.... We use Vivotek brand cameras and use their free software called VAST (it's really nice and completely free up to 32 cameras, though the free version only works with their cameras). We can do 20 cameras, server with a few TB of space, cabling, and PoE switches for around 7k.

Currently looking at a new branch and putting a camera down every single isle for a total of 39 1080p cameras and 40ish TB of space in a cheap Synology and still just under 10k all in.

Now granted this is a system we have to support ourselves, but in our case that works fine. We have several such systems in use. Most common failure is hard drives.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Judge Schnoopy
Nov 2, 2005

dont even TRY it, pal
I've never shopped cameras before, this is what my predecessor bought so I figured $1000 including installation was normal.

Now that you guys think I'm insane I'm gonna start shopping around some other companies to see how much I'm overpaying.