Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Just wear the fucking mask, Bob

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

Instead of using Microsoft Visio, which I've used for years and is kind of the standard diagram/flowchart program, I'm forced to use SmartDraw, which my boss bought because it was $199 instead of $299 for Visio. Cheap gently caress.

Bonus points for having to RDP into a Pentium 4 with 1GB of RAM running Windows XP because he only wants to buy one license and there are like 20 people who use it. UUUGGGGHHH

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

Swink posted:

Smartdraw is terrible. It's just bad software that is terrible to use and even worse to manage.

I swear every loving program we use is the cheap Kmart poo poo version of something that's better.

We have this hilarious Bolden-James address book program to have a company-wide address book in Outlook (because we don't use Exchange...yet)

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Lum posted:

Reminds me of the Win3.1 -> NT4 migration at my first job, only replace "Visio" with "CorelDraw" and "SmartDraw" with "Powerpoint 97".

Oh, he went on for 10 minutes about how great Visio was until MICROSOFT BOUGHT THEM AND RUINED IT

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

The Zebras we had were WASP branded, they did this thing where they wouldn't remember the loving label size to save their life, or would print blank labels, and you had to have the driver from some exact point in time for it to work at all.

Then you had to install this ActiveX print-pipe for this stupid IE-only web app that printed everything using ZPL and that's the only way it could talk directly to the printers.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

gently caress refurbished toner cartridges.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Sirotan posted:

This is all I buy these days, they work great for me and are typically <20% the price of OEM. Every now and then we will get a bad one but the cost savings greatly outweighs the inconvenience.

Maybe you just don't have a good source for them? I use these guys a lot: http://www.suppliesoutlet.com/

Less toner, worse quality, puke all over your printer once in a while. Especially bad with the colors

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

skipdogg posted:

I learned that lesson a long time ago. I don't gently caress with anything but OEM carts anymore. Not worth the hassle. If they don't like how much they cost they can stop loving printing so much.

The other problem where I work is they have given almost every person in the company their own lovely desktop laser printer, instead of doing a big printer for each department like any normal company would do. So you're swapping cartridges out every 3,000 pages and you've got 3-4 models out there, connected via USB so you can't manage them.

Bonus points for continuing to buy the HP Lasers with wifi that you can't disable, so there are 50 HP_00232 SSId's broadcasting in any given area of the building.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

MrMoo posted:

LibreOffice supports Visio files pretty well now too.

Unsurprisingly SmartDraw does not have a book license, the same as Visio, your boss is breaking the license agreement and needs purchase one for every user that accesses the software.

http://www.smartdraw.com/support/smartdraw-perpetual-license.pdf

I know...The worst thing is BSA audited this company about 3 years ago after a disgruntled admin left and they had to pay a kajillion dollars in MS licensing.

This is the same guy who gives me the 3rd degree if I try using any free software (Like Linux etc)

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

MrMoo posted:

So he doesn't want to pay a lot of money for software and doesn't want it free either, what's the foaming at the mouth response to the latter?

"MySQL? You can't just randomly download software from the internet and install it on the network!"

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

ssh tunnel out and point a browser over to the ssh server as a socks proxy, including DNS requests. Then you just have to worry about someone going to your PC while you're not there and looking at your history or whatever.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Ursine Asylum posted:

I tunnel at work out of habit, since the last place I used to work blocked Stack Overflow as a "social site". Owning an external server ended up being handy; I just set up the SSH inbound port as 443 (to get around the SSH-22 block they also had in their firewall) and just flowed my traffic through that all day and bypassed all of the downtime they ended up accruing for themselves because their lovely blocker would default to "block all outgoing web requests" when it wasn't working properly.

A week or two ago our 'internet went down', there's this fuckup where you can still do email and such but no http traffic gets through.

I pulled up Google in Firefox that I have going over my ssh tunnel to look something up and my boss said "How are you getting on the internet still?"

:haw:

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

I posted a short while back about my boss intentionally putting a stupid Netgear switch in every other cube so he didn't have to spend slightly more money (and buy 48 port switches) running everyone back to the closet in each building. Who cares if you're crippling your infrastructure, right?

Anyway, a 16-port netgear hidden in a cubicle partition wall got unplugged. There was a APC powerstrip thing on the floor with just one cable plugged into it, and of course it went to the switch. The cube was empty so someone stole the power strip and took a whole department offline.

Bob: Reason #5 the switches in cubes are a bad idea - someone 'borrowed' the UPS that one of the netegars is plugged into and it kicked CAD and GOVT departments off the network
Bob:
Boss: I still don't agree with you, sorry.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Sirotan posted:

Now I have to think of a suitable counter-prank...

Real spiders.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

I hate how Microsoft's Social TechNet QA site works. It's a lovely rip-off of Stack Exchange. And they always list the 'answer' and then they have 'other replies', which includes the answer. So you get to read the 'answer' twice... So loving annoying.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

diremonk posted:

It really doesn't piss me off too much. I'm actually excited by the opportunity. I just wish I had known that I would be what is basically a chief engineer instead of just a grunt. Plus I wish I was getting paid a bit better too for this, it's still very good but less than what I know other people with the same sort of responsibility get.

Let's double-schedule everything. First in Outlook and then again in Podio or whatever collaboration tool we're using this week. Bonus points if the time/dates/location aren't the same between two identical events.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

GargleBlaster posted:

unpredictable backups-to-tape running on an ancient version of Backup Exec on ancient unpredictable hardware. Will it take 4 hours today or 8? Only way to find out is wait for the results!

We're backing up to WD GREENS.

I'm RMA'ing one today and my boss is giving me a hard time about using his credit card. THEY NEED THE BILLING ADDRESS? How the gently caress does that surprise you have you ever bought anything online?

Uses his personal card for ALL IT purchases at the company. It's a Sony card so he's always buying TV's and poo poo with his precious points.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Lum posted:

WD Greens are fine when used for their intended purpose.

It's just the cheap bastards putting them into RAID controllers that give them a bad reputation.

We have four of these loving things, each with 5 drives.

The hard disk 2 on SouthBackup had an I/O error, but it is working properly now after several retries. It might have been caused by bad sectors. If this error occurs again, please back up your data and run the S.M.A.R.T. test on your hard drive to examine the hard drive status.

Sincerely,
Synology DiskStation

Followed by this message few days later:

System volume (Swap) on NorthBackup1 has entered degraded mode. (Total number of hard drives: 5; number of active hard drives: 4)

Please reboot the system, and it will repair itself automatically on startup.

Sincerely,
Synology DiskStation

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Caged posted:

It appears you have more than one problem.

4 problems. You mean this ain't enterprise backup??

Ask me about how we backup workstations and don't force people to SAVE FILES TO THE FILE SERVER.

You think it's tricky getting 20 servers to all back up every night? Try backing up 200 workstations with any kind of reliability.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Caged posted:

What do you use? CrashPlan PROe is decent enough, but I'm 99% sure that you don't have any money.

Retrospect server. Works as long as you don't want every machine backed up every day and everyone leaves their PC's on and the backup sets don't corrupt

quote:

I bought 6 2tb green drives back around December 2011, and only one of the original 6 is still working. The others all ended up in RMA land. (And no, they weren't in a raid array).

On the plus side, sent me 2.5tb drives for most of the replacements I guess.

Sounds about right. They sent us bigger drives than we had, but some of our eSATA docks (for offsite backups) don't recognize drives over 2.0TB so they don't do us any good.

I told my boss "So just buy another $35 dock. We're eventually going to need to store more than 1.5TB on each drive anyway..."

WELL WHAT USE WILL OUR LEFTOVER 1.5TB DRIVES BE THEN? WE CANT JUST WASTE THEM

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Having a huge argument with my fuddy duddy boss about even getting a QUOTE from Dell for new servers.

"I don't want Dell"

"What makes them special?"

What makes HP special you loving gently caress?

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

evol262 posted:

iLO.

What makes Dell suck? DRAC.

I told him the management tools were the real difference and we don't use them anyway...it's just a 3-node VM cluster

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Bob Morales posted:

Having a huge argument with my fuddy duddy boss about even getting a QUOTE from Dell for new servers.

Why would anyone want to buy new Dell servers when can get these quality refurbished HP units that are old as gently caress! My boss seriously just asked me 'check out the deals they have'.

Here is this week’s mailer with our first batch of DL380 Gen8’s. We also have a fully loaded G6 listed complete with COA!
If you need storage space, check out the MSA60 set up! Let me know what you might be looking for an I will quote.

Mid October Mailer!

HP DL380 Gen8 E5-2420 6core 1.9Ghz Processor, 16GB RAM, 8 Bay SFF, Redundant 460W powersupplies, Rails. Warranty to July 2016!
Price $1855.00 Qty. 2

HP DL380 G6 TWO Quad Core 2.8Ghz, 24GB RAM, 2 x 146GB 6G 10K SAS, 4 x 300GB 10K SAS, P400 Raid w/ 512MB Battery backed cache, Lightscribe DVD/RW, redundant 750W powersupplies, rails, WINDOWS Server 2008 R2 1-4CPU 5 clt COA
Price $1755.00 Qty. 1

HP DL380 G6 Quad Core 2.26Ghz processor, 8GB RAM, 2 x 72GB 10K SAS, RAID, 460W power supply, Rails
Price $395.00 Qty. 2

HP t5745 Thin Client 2GHz, 2GB Flash, 2GB RAM HP REFURBISHED IN HP BOX
Price $175.00 Qty. 20

HP DL360 G6 Quad Core 2.26Ghz Xeon, 12GB RAM, 3 x 146GB 10K SAS, Raid
Price $395.00 Qty. 16

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Let's explore the IT storage room

Gateway Pentium 450. Yes really. We haven't had one chance to throw this thing away in the last ten years. Good thing it has all those HP servers to keep it company. They are Xeons but I don't know if they are P3 or P4.

Old software and books. The next row is all DOS. There are also great books like "Getting to know your Leading Edge computer!" (That used to be a brand name a long time ago)

We have a couple piles of lovely broken laptops. Why don't we throw these away? None of them work. And they're all Pentium M or Core Duo.

Here's a few stacks of 'new' PC's waiting to go out on the office floor. Since we have people that are still using loving Pentium 4's that take a halr hour to boot up and load MS Office. My boss can't pass up a good deal so when he sees a lot of 10 refurbished AMD X2's or A4's on the internet he scoops them up!

He gave one to a developer, with 32-bit Windows and 3GB of RAM. I would have quit on the spot if I were that poor fucker.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

teethgrinder posted:

Looks and sounds a lot like my last job. One of my last tasks there was cleaning out half that kind of poo poo. I got rid of all the P2s & 3s that were in storage. (I think two poor fuckers were still USING P3s though). My boss wouldn't let me throw out the books. I did get rid of all the Win3.11 boxes + related software though.

My boss's excuse is they haven't had time to schedule a disposal pickup. But it's just part of the way he works where he keeps poo poo around for as long as possible because he is such a cheap gently caress. He was using a CRT when I started.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Mac Office crashing is a feature. It's not because of a virus.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

I'm trying to get a replacement CD From some HP software that we seem to have lost. So I sent them copies of the original order and license keys and such that they sent us back in 2004.

HP Outsourced Support posted:

Hi Bob, regarding your concern can you please tell me in what link you are find this item.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Inspector_71 posted:

Typewriters are awesome, and I would totally keep one in my office if I had either an office or a typewriter.

We have antique (aren't they all) typewriters all over our HQ on top of the filing cabinets. I will snap a pic.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

TheQat posted:

yes, i got the email, if i didn't get it you'd get a bounceback error you fuckwit

Could have gotten stuck in a spam filter or Outlook rule or....

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

ALL MY EMAIL IS GONE!

*clicks +, expands all message*

OMG

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Dick Trauma posted:

People keep turning on Outlook's junk mail filter and then wondering where all their critically important emails are going. <PLONK>

Disable that poo poo with a GPO.

People use that instead of the unsubscribe link

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

teethgrinder posted:

poo poo that pisses me off: how expensive Apple adapters are. I'd love to just keep one at home and one at work. I'll make it happen once we're a bit more flush.

Keep the big cord at your desk and then take the adapter+duckhead home with you

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Assuming you are using some other sot of mail filter (Barracuda, hosted service, whatever. And why the heck wouldn't you be using something else?) just disable your users from being able to do that because doing it on the mail client is pointless anyhow.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Have a user who's backup is running at like 10MB/min. Gonna take a while to do 70GB.

User is plugged into a Allied Telesis 100mb switch under her desk, which has a cord running to her cube-mate. Then that goes to a gig netgear stuffed in the cubical wall. There's another orange light on it, so sure enough that switch goes to an Adtran switch in the furnace room, but into a 100mb port. There's only 4 gig ports on that switch :haw:

So basically the whole department isn't backing up because it takes like over a day. gently caress me.

1) Why are we buying any loving devices with 100mb ports in 2013 (Actually they were bought in 2011 but still)
2) Why the gently caress is my boss obsessed with daisy-chaining instead of running EACH PORT STRAIGHT TO A SWITCH IN THE CLOSET
3) Where the gently caress do these 100mb 8 port allied telesis switches keep coming from
4) Why did anyone think it was a good idea to put Netgear switches in random cubical walls
5) Why the gently caress do I still work here after 4 months
6) What would really happen if I kicked my boss in the nuts
7) At least I got to explain to the helpdesk guys why this setup is loving retarded and they should never do anything like that again and our boss is a maroon

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

The worst is a place that wants you to fill out their stupid resume web form, then paste a plaintext, and then allows you to upload a Word .doc

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

evol262 posted:

Don't even apply for those jobs. Think if it like voting with your wallet. Their system is so unreasonable that you refuse to participate.

I didn't. After the second resume I just logged off. They called me anyway.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

skipdogg posted:

It's not 2007 anymore, 400MB is just not an acceptable mailbox limit anymore. gently caress, Microsoft will give you 50GB with O365 for under 10 bucks a month.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

anthonypants posted:

We've also outlawed psts. We haven't actually prevented users from using psts on their own, but we don't support em and the policy is Don't Use PSTs.

What do you do with those emails from 7 years ago that I NEED TO SAVE FOREVAR

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Today is 'talk about how much Windows 8.1 sucks even though nobody has installed it yet'

:words:

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

CatsOnTheInternet posted:

I work primarily in VDI/SaaS stuff, so all the industry blogs I read are semi-constantly singing the praises of BYOD, which means I'm semi-constantly trolling the comments section. It's such a mind-bogglingly horrible idea.

What's a horrible idea, reading the comments or BYOD in general?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

stevewm posted:

So I have to convince the extremely cheap basta... err.. "frugal" owner to go from paying nothing per year, to over $5,000 per year. The CFO and others are on my side, but its still going to be a tough sell.

We're using a iMail install from like 2006. So there's no cost to stay where we are, $-wise. It's just that our current setup sucks. We pay for smartphones and people can't even have their email accounts on there without jumping through hoops like forwarding to personal email or having to connect to the VPN

"It's going to be $3,200 a month to go to hosted Exchange"

What? We get email free now!

"Yea, but it's hosted here, we don't have backups, there's no local mailbox storage, you can't do any Exchange/Outlook features like shared calendars or out of office messages, mobile device support blows..."