Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Just wear the fucking mask, Bob

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

CatsOnTheInternet posted:

Talking about cars and their kids
My boss is on the loving phone all day talking about his kids and talking with one of the helpdesk staff about their lovely cars. 1984 Camaro and 1993 Crown Vic.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

QPZIL posted:

Yeah I should have googled first. Apparently SCP is the de-facto secure backup avenue. Oh well!

Does FileZilla server for Windows support SCP? SCP and SFTP are two different things right? SCP = 'ssh cp' and SFTP = a whole different ball of wax?

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Sickening posted:

Talk about overrated. Pretzel buns were never good.

Ruby Tuesday has a good one :(

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

QPZIL posted:

Turns out the hard drive died, and he'll have to wait a day or two more for the new one to come in and get set up since I'm just now calling Panasonic support.

Panasonic laptop? Where the gently caress do you live?

Broken HD = drive over to best Buy, buy a HD/SSD, take a long lunch, come back and re-install Windows.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

demonachizer posted:

I would assume that he is dealing directly with panasonic because it is a warranty case.

One thing nice about where I am is that every laptop purchased must have a 4 year no fault warranty. If there is an issue outside of a warranty period it is time to get a new laptop.

At one of my old gigs I got everyone CompleteCare from Dell + accidental damage because everyone was clumsy and they were usually traveling so it was perfect. No matter what they did or where they were I could usually get it fixed the very next day.

Nativity In Black posted:

Got a call from a headhunter yesterday wanting to put me in a helpdesk position at an area bank. The pay is better and it's less than a mile from my house, but I'd be going from a full time salaried position to a contract. The guy assures me that this thing will be going for a year or so and they hire people all the time but I think I've heard this too many times to trust. I may go to the interview and hear it from the horses mouth before I give up though.

At least go to the interview and see what's up. Worst case you burn a half a vacation day and you tell them you're not interested.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

wintermuteCF posted:

At that point, you're down to $45k annually. Then you have healthcare costs, other incidental benefits, etc.

Remember stuff like going 6 months without 401k contributions and crap like that :(

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

A job-hop could cost you $1,500 in retirement savings if:

You make $50,000 a year
You are putting in say 8% and employer matches 4%
You don't start your new 401k until you're in for 3 months

Job hop 3-4 times and that can add up.

Of course you could fix that buy just chucking the $ in an IRA but it wouldn't be pre-tax or have an employer contribution (free money)

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Man, and I thought our Core Duo-based Xeon VMware servers were slow. P4? Really?

Santa better bring me some servers this year.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

It takes 45 minutes to install something that should take...10? :argh:

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Bob Morales posted:

It takes 45 minutes to install something that should take...10? :argh:

"They are servers they just sit idle most of the time. They are not going to be upgraded."

Okay. I'm never going to upgrade them, ever and refer to that email when people ask why. Ever.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

fivre posted:

Either way, content filtering is usually stupid enough on its own, but content filtering by whitelist rather than blacklist? Are you nuts?
Its more work to do it that way but it's much more secure.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

We have an massive file cabinet full of stuff like USB and VGA cables. I could see keeping around 10, maybe 20 of each. But I bet we have a hundred each.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Powdered Toast Man posted:

OK, I think using a computer to cool off your beef stew is completely new to me. I'm pretty impressed.

The advantage of combination kitchen/server room.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Caged posted:

All I know about old PBXs is that a guy I worked with who dealt with the Avaya stuff we had used to drink heavily.

I kinda miss the old AUDIX box at my old job.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

They're remodeling the other half of our building so my boss (IT Director) is way more concerned with what the drywallers and painters are doing, and right now he's standing outside telling the dumpster guy that he need to put some oil dry down because they just blew hydraulic fluid all over the parking lot.

IT DOES NOT CONCERN YOU GET THE gently caress BACK TO YOUR DESK AND WORK ON SOME PROJECTS

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

gently caress compiling anything on Linux these days when you can just load up a Bitnami appliance all ready to go.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Reminds me of one our helpdesk guys. Makes the users feel so stupid because they aren't nerds.

REALLY? YOU'VE CALLED ME ABOUT THIS TEN TIMES BEFORE!!! JUST HIT CTRL-F, TAB, TAB, F8 AND IT CLEARS YOUR COOKIES. loving MORON11!!!!

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Paladine_PSoT posted:

gently caress trying to make emails look nice on multiple platforms.

Looks nice on Windows RT
Looks nice on iOS
Looks nice on Android

Pick 2 of 3.

Microsoft went from the IE model of HTML email to the Word model. Throws a wrench into anything you want to make look nice in GMail and Outlook. You get to use tables again!

There's a website that has a much bigger list - anyone know what it is?

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Bob Morales posted:

Microsoft went from the IE model of HTML email to the Word model. Throws a wrench into anything you want to make look nice in GMail and Outlook. You get to use tables again!

There's a website that has a much bigger list - anyone know what it is?

Found it - http://www.campaignmonitor.com/css/

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

rolleyes posted:

drat, jacking a laptop from a charity on your way out the door is pretty scummy.

At every place I've worked there's a certain level of employee where you just don't give your laptop back :confused:

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

HalloKitty posted:

I had a sound card fairly late, but I do remember having to change jumpers on various devices to adjust the IRQ. Then again, I enjoyed PC Speaker music. Especially when you had a decent driver, not just a stupid buzzer like today.

PC speaker has always been 'just a buzzer'. And there was never 'PC speaker music'

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

HalloKitty posted:

Tell that to Pinball Fantasies. Or Lotus III. Or Monkey Island. Or Leisure Suit Larry.

I played plenty of DOS games that modulated the basic IBM PC speaker to be something that elevated it far above "beep".

Hell, I even had a Windows programme that could take a proper WAV file and output through PC speaker (albeit mangled to hell because of the inherit limitations).

I knew that you *could* but I just didn't remember any games actually doing it - it was mostly just bleeps and bloops but I remember downloading little one-trick programs that would play a terrible rendition of certain songs or noises through PC speaker.

Once I got my first 8-bit Soundblaster card I was blown away.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Fil5000 posted:

Didn't you also need "T4" or something in there? I'm sure mine used to have it in.

code:
SET BLASTER=A220 I5 D1 T3 P330 H6 E620
 |    |     |    |  |  |  |    |  |
 |    |     |    |  |  |  |    |  |_______ AWE 32 Only Parameter
 |    |     |    |  |  |  |    |__________ "High" DMA Channel
 |    |     |    |  |  |  |_______________ MIDI Port
 |    |     |    |  |  |__________________ Type of Card
 |    |     |    |  |_____________________ DMA Channel
 |    |     |    |________________________ Interrupt
 |    |     |_____________________________ Port Address
 |    |___________________________________ Environment Variable
 |________________________________________ DOS Command

NOTE: There can be no spaces between the word BLASTER and the equal sign (=).
If you have a space in there, your system will read the parameter incorrectly,
and it will not be recognized by our games.

(Some of these parameters (P, H, and E) are dependant on certain types of
cards.  For example, the E is only needed if you have an AWE 32.  The
minimum requirements are to have the A, I, D, & T parameters.  The other
three may or may not be needed depending on what type of card you have.
Please read this entire section to see if you need any of them.  If you
are using a clone card, or some card that's not a "true" Soundblaster,
then you will most likely only need A, I, D, and T.)

Now, these may not (most likely not) be the same for your board, because the
Port Address, Interrupt and DMA Channel can be set by adjusting "jumpers" on
your sound board.  Some newer cards have this information controlled by
software, please consult your card's manual for more information on how to set
these things.  You should also check your manual if you are unclear as to how
to tell what settings your card is set at.  The information *IS* important, so
it's recommended that you know precisely what the settings are.  If you are
using a card that "emulates" the Soundblaster (such as the Gravis UltraSound
through software, or the PAS16), you should check your card's manual on how to
set the card for Soundblaster emulation.

For PORT ADDRESS, it's almost always 220.  That seems to be the default for
most sound cards out there, and unless you know you've switched it away from
220, it's a safe bet it's still there.

The INTERRUPT is something that varies from system to system.  Mystic Towers
and games prior to Raptor require that your IRQ be set at 7 or less.  Apogee
does not recommend using IRQ2, as it causes problems.

The DMA CHANNEL sometimes causes problems if it isn't set to 1, which is the
usual default.  If it is not set correctly, some Apogee games may lock up
when the sound is turned on.

The TYPE OF CARD should be 1 if you have an older Soundblaster, or a Sound
Blaster emulating card.  Use 3 if you have a newer plain Soundblaster.  Use
2 for an older Soundblaster Pro.  Use 4 for a newer Soundblaster Pro.

The MIDI PORT parameter will only be needed if you are using a card that has
MIDI capabilites.  If so, this is where you define what MIDI port you are
using.  330 seems to be the default, so if you have a MIDI card, and you
haven't changed anything from factory defaults, this is probably where it still
is.

The HIGH DMA CHANNEL is something that is used primarily on Soundblaster 16
cards.  This is not the same as the standard DMA channel, this is a different
one.  This is only used if you're using a 16 bit sound card capable of playing
16 bit Soundblaster sounds.  By default, this is usually 5, so unless you know
that it's something else, it's probably still 5.

The E620 parameter is something that is needed _only_ if you have a Creative
Labs AWE 32 sound card.  If you have one of these, this parameter will have
been set up properly assuming you've installed the software that came with the
card.  Check your AWE 32 documentation for a more thorough explanation of what
this parameter is used for.

Note on the Soundblaster AWE64:  The AWE64 will not always correctly set up
its sound drivers for use in Windows 95 in relation to DOS games.  There is
information on how to get around this in the README.TXT file that is installed
on your hard drive in the AWE64 driver directory.

After you have entered the correct SET BLASTER line in your AUTOEXEC.BAT
file, make sure you save the change, delete the game's config file (????.CFG),
and reboot before you try playing the game again.
MSCDEX.EXE /D:MSCD001 /L:D

:haw:

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Paladine_PSoT posted:

AT E1Q0V1X4 &C1 &D2 S0=0 S11=34

Don't forget M0 we don't want to wake up the baby with 100 decibels of modem-dialing. Unless you're a scrub who didn't have an external modem with a volume control.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

My local ISP started with dial-up shell accounts so you could login as 'bobm' and you got a UNIX shell. Then one day they started to offer PPP internet access, so you could use Windows Dial-up Networking, and just change your login to 'bobm@ppp' and after you connected you could start Netscape or whatever.

Once I dialed in from Procomm at a friends house (he was still stuck with DOS) and I used 'bobm@ppp' and was treated to a Matrix screensaver-like explosion of extended ASCII characters all over the screen.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Paladine_PSoT posted:

S0=0 shuts off the modem speaker :colbert:

You sure?

Mn : Speaker Control
Sn : Select a Specific S Register

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Agrikk posted:

Are you nerds really debating the proper command for a technology that no one has used in twenty years?

Awesome!

Maybe you need to go re-live DOS and modems

http://www.masswerk.at/googleBBS/

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

nitrogen posted:

"Here, let me show you, its really easy!" and then rape him in the face with a heavy crescent wrench.

So today we got to go see our new building. It's actually really nice. Id' be VERY nice if it wasnt for the fact that it's an hour away now, vs 35 mins away for the current building.

The BEST thing about the new building is that nobody gets ANY cellphone reception in it.

That's annoying as gently caress when you're troubleshooting some issue with a vendor and you're on a cell phone because you can't get a desk phone in that closet or whatever.

Get one of those cell extender things you plug into a network port.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

TWBalls posted:

Yeah, I've been doing healthcare IT for ~13 years, so this shouldn't surprise me. It's also incredibly annoying when the company is on the opposite coast and only has support techs 8-5 their time. That's some bullshit. If you know you have customers in another time zone, you ought to be able to support them during normal business hours in that time zone as well.

If you're in the USA don't ever, every buy software from a small company in Europe. Ever. That poo poo like 5 or more hours ahead of us.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Sickening posted:

He really is a nice guy. He just doesn't understand infosec and doesn't take it seriously.

Hey boss-that-doesn't-know-jack-poo poo buddy. Our IT director yelled at a user for hitting 'send/receive' too many times. He said "You're flooding the network and causing collisions" by hitting that button over and over.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Agrikk posted:

I remember upgrading a chip, I want to say it was a 386 but I can't be sure, to a 486DX4 running at 100MHz using one of those wonky voltage converters.

That thing was the cat's rear end, man. I remember that was when I realized that PCs were not big boxes but were made out of components that could be changed piecemeal. It was an eye opening experience.

I remember those poo poo 486 upgrade chips for 286's, you'd be stuck with the bus and all your old poo poo components on your 286 :(

Friend of mine had a ultra-lovely 486DLC or something weird with a 256k VGA card and it could barely play Wolfenstein worth a poo poo.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

EAT THE EGGS RICOLA posted:

Adding a couple HP 1022n printers to my print server just exploded the entire thing.

I hate printers so much.

Enjoy all the HP-2382F23 SSID's that are in your building now and will come back every time the printers are power cycled even if you 'disable' wireless. My boss bought, and keeps buying pallets of those loving things because they are seven bucks cheaper than what I would rather order.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

We're remodeling the other side of our building and one of the things we'll have is a new training room so my boss went to ABC Warehouse and bought three 60" plasma televisions.

Aside from the fact that the IT Director who probably makes double what I do has spent the last week deal-hunting to save $50 on a TV, and wasted countless hours discussing televisions and wall mounts with half the people in the company, the remodel isn't going to be done for 3 months.

So I've got this taking up a ton of room in front of me, and now each person who walks by my desk gets to serve up their very own version of:

"Hey Bob looks like Santa came early!"
"Hey Bob my TV's came in!"
"Hey Bob just load one of those up in my car"

Not to mention the helpdesk guy gets to talk LCD vs Plasma and Smart TV vs non-smart TV for hours on end.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Caged posted:

Consumer plasmas for static content :gonk:

Been there done that etc., but it's not like it would have ever gone any differently with your boss the way he is.

"New plasmas don't have that problem"

That room is going to be so loving hot.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

TWBalls posted:

I can download Windows Defender offline and burn it to CD, but as old as this system is I'm not sure if it'll boot from CD, nor am I sure that it will be powerful enough to run it. Looking at the system requirements page, it needs a minimum of 768MB of RAM. This thing only has 256MB.

I don't even know if it would clean out a Windows NT 4.0 machine.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Ynglaur posted:

The bad thing here isn't the up or down search: it's that your minion isn't using a proper text editor with multiple-file search, regular expressions, syntax highlighting, and a billion other useful functions.

PSPad is my favorite, though Notepad++, TextPad, and Sublime Text are quite good as well.

Or install something like Cygwin or some other way to run 'grep' inside of WIndows.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

evol262 posted:

Yeah, like powershell's "select-string -pattern", which comes by default on every modern version of Windows

Some of us are running iMail on Windows 2000 and don't get fancy modern stuff like that :(

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Swink posted:

Are there services out there for testing the upload speed of a link? I need to verify the capacity of our newly installed internet link. Everything Google turns up like speedtest.net is a tiny upload file which is usually finished in 5 seconds.

I need to have a sustained upload over an hour or more so I can point to a graph and say "Yes this link is maxed at 20mbit"

Some CDN's like CacheFly have 100mb files you can try (which won't take long at all on 20mb)

http://www.cachefly.com/

Here's a 1GB test:

http://test.gorillaservers.com/

Really what you could do is get a box with 100mb of bandwidth (whould be very cheap, think Linode or Digital Ocean) and just blast away at it.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

demonachizer posted:

I think he wants a test for his upload not download. Not sure I see an upload test of a large size on those sites.

He can still blast away at a VPS or dedicated server.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

QuiteEasilyDone posted:

Welp. I just got out of a meeting with the ops manager and I had to tell him that inbetween last Wednesday and today, it appears that 10 laptops appeared to have walked off the premesis. I have a feeling that this is going to end poorly

Are they not issued to specific people or did you just have a table full of laptops that were waiting for something?