Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Just wear the fucking mask, Bob

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

Rhymenoserous posted:

Why do you leave things like "Big piles of laptops" in an unsecured area? I mean I'm about to deploy ~150 tablets, and I don't leave them by my desk because I know they will walk away.

Exactly. Locked storage room with video camera coverage.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

We have a couple people with Dutch last names where I work, and of course we get people that try to email them but can't get someones email address right even if they are typing it from a business card or sales flyer.

You end up with a name like 'Dave Graaf'

The guy then calls in to complain he's not getting all the emails he should. I take a look at the logs, and sure enough people are emailing dave.graff, dave.graf, poo poo like that. Either doubling the wrong letter or not doubling the right letter, because they don't speak freaky-deaky Dutch.

The question becomes "Well can't you just make dave.graff forward the email to dave.graaf?"

At first thought it's a fairly reasonable request assuming your email aliases are free. But it doesn't fix the problem.

What do you do?

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

spog posted:

Option 1 - ask Dave Graaf to legally change his name to David Smith
Option 2 - fire Dave and hire someone called David Smith

Dave Graaf jr, as well as Jim and John Graaf all work here too (his kids). It gets worse as people email his son and he gets the message etc.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Inspector_666 posted:

No more LogMeIn Free.

Upshot: A great excuse to not do friends/family support anymore!

gently caress! Are there any other good, free alternatives that you can leave running 24/7 on Uncle Bob's computer?

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

TheQat posted:

Teamviewer can be used for that kind of thing, not sure if it's comparably convenient though

We use that company-wide, but I was using LogMeIn for a few personal things. Don't really have any problems with TeamViewer.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

mewse posted:

Guys in my office use join.me but it's run by logmein so it will probably be going down soon.

join.me works but you need someone to initiate the host connection.

If you sign into LogMeIn you get a list of PC's on that account:

Mom's laptop
Dad's computer
Office PC
Aunt Brenda's laptop
Uncle Joe's computer
Hot chick from the dentist office I'm stalking's Desktop

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Agrikk posted:

Non-IT related but Yoplait yogurt is the thing that pisses me off.

Like that doorknob that shocks Peter Gibbons every morning when he comes in to work, peeling back the foil lid of a Yoplait container and having it spit out a few drops of yogurt onto my sleeve or pants every morning seems to be another tiny indignity I must face each morning.

What kind of scrub eats Yoplait?

First of all you should be only eating Greek yogurt. And Fage, Chobani, or some small brand. Not Dannon or Yoplait.

Also, it's yoghurt :smug:

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Che Delilas posted:

As someone who sees the world in terms of logic, as I'm sure many of you do, the fact that people do this boggles my mind. All you have to do is ask "why?" Why is it called what it is called? Do you think it's called a labtop? Why? Does it sit on top of a laboratory? Well gently caress that doesn't make any sense. Is it called a laptop? Why? Because it can sit on top of a lap? Hey, that makes perfect loving sense! It's a small computer that can fit on top of your lap! MYSTERY loving SOLVED.

Two options, which makes more sense? The people who don't think this way are so alien to me, it drives me batty.

Some old Engineer kept calling his laptop a labtop, and then he said back in the 70's or 80's they made lab-tops that sat 'on top of your laboratory table' and that's why they were called that. I wonder if you spent an hour Googling old magazines or something if that turns out to be a real thing.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

UFOTofuTacoCat posted:

This is an old Fax Server, I've been working here about 4 months.
Do you guys have any recommendations regarding multiple line fax server configs? We need to replace this thing and I'm wondering if there is anymore to than it getting a server and choosing which BrookTrout fax card you want to spend your money on?

Why aren't you using some fax to email (or vice versa) thing?

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

I would guess that a company like Microsoft is under 1,000 lawsuits at any given time.

But don't the disclaimers/license agreements say you can't sue them for poo poo anyway?

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

If anyone out there is still using 4.2.2.x for DNS....Level 3 has been hijacking requests

http://james.bertelson.me/blog/2014/01/level-3-are-now-hijacking-failed-dns-requests-for-ad-revenue-on-4-2-2-x/

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

CaptainGimpy posted:

Microsoft Access and the stupid fuckers that keep developing this bad practice enabling pile of poo poo, get herpasyphilaids in your left eye.

Two jobs ago, there was an Access app that we re-wrote in ASP. Worst part about it was that we couldn't get a SQL license for some reason so we continued to use the Access database connector thingy. Ugh.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

I hate diagnosing connectivity issues remotely. I have a user who gets booted off the network (Win7) but rebooting fixes the problem. So I doubt it's a switch/cable whatever but I can't see what they're plugged into. Any suggestions?

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Caged posted:

By booted off do they mean the link drops and the link status lights go out, or that they can't get to Google?

How often does it happen, does unplugging and re-plugging the network cable fix it, or does it have to be a reboot?

Can't ping them. They reboot and it fixes it. Static IP

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

guppy posted:

Anything in the event logs? (Can you remote in?) I was thinking IP conflict, but I don't know why a reboot would solve that problem.

Nothing useful. Even changed her IP and it still happens

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Caged posted:

"You're in IT, that means you can talk to Google and get my hacked account back"

One of the owners of a company I worked at had gotten into some trouble in the past, so some group that had interests that differed from his company put up a website with all kinds of dirty laundry about him and other people in the industry. Drunk driving convictions and divorce settlements and all that kind of poo poo.

So of course, you'd enter his full name on Google and bam, that site comes up the very first hit. He wanted me to 'call Google and get this taken off the internet'. Granted, this was like 2003 but still.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Sickening posted:

It still amazes me how cheap executives can be. I just had a c-level guy come to me asking if we had any company cell phone upgrades available. After digging deeper (he didn't even have a company phone) it turns out that he had some weird expectation that I was just going to be able to buy him personal cell phone with company money. He was actually shocked when told him no. The conversation finally boiled down to me saying "Well, if I wanted to buy myself a new phone I would usually go to the store and buy one."

What is 600 bucks when you make 250k?

What is 600 bucks when you pay someone 250k?

Our old CEO would lose his phone every three months. He's come out of a restaurant, set his wallet and phone on his car, then get in his car and drive off. 2 days later he'd come to me saying "I think I lost my phone....and I'm pretty sure I know where."

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

underlig posted:

3 meters from me people are having a discussion/meeting at the big desk.
I was not told this was going to happen, i currently have moldex sparkplugs in my years, pushed in as far as possible, and i still hear them

How the gently caress do you even get the idea to schedule a meeting in someone elses room, i'm not a part of it, without telling them?

As a second gently caress-you i just checked and the big meetingroom in the office is empty, nobodys using it. There is also a smaller one with a big whiteboard in another end of the office that hasn't been used for months, with a loving door you can close.

I can't concentrate at all on all the idiotic poo poo i have to get done today

Pick your laptop up and go to Starbucks or another office.

Get headphones

Open offices blow

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

rolleyes posted:

Passive aggressive response: unplug your headphones, turn up the music.

Play drums on desk and sing

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

HAHAHAHAH

My boss is such a penny-pinching dipshit.

Everyone at our company has dual 19" monitors like it's 2005 or something. I had triple (!) 19" monitors when I started, and I asked for dual 22" monitors. He has as stockpile of HP 19" refurbs in various rooms across the building.

We're using some new application for our operations department where they can see all of our trucks/drivers via GPS on this map screen. So instead of just buying dual 22" monitors (or hell, one) for $100 each, he bought everyone a third, non-matching 19" monitor. And a $50 video card to run the thing on.

There are 19 workstations that need upgraded. So for the past 2 hours, helpdesk has been trying to add this video card to the first one, going through graphics driver hell, and haven't gotten it to work yet. Meanwhile we've got someone who can't do their job because they can't use their PC. Down the road I forsee video cards dying and fans going out, making cool grinding noises for people to bitch about, and Windows crashing because of video driver issues.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Idiot developer wanted me to set up 'ftp access' that he used to have, on a Windows server, so he can copy files to it from his Windows workstation.

Problem 1: Just share the folder to the developers group (like we have one!) or to your user. Bam. Done. Why are you involving FTP?

Problem 2: Learn what loving software deployment is. You just copy poo poo up with no version control and no automation? Get hosed.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

gently caress our ancient HP equipment.

loving G3 and G5 HP servers. Ugh. OLD OLD OLD

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Che Delilas posted:

A lot of people at my old job smoked, and it caused some problems. Those problems were mostly a result of them smoking right outside the emergency stairs with the emergency door left open, so that the smoke would float up and saturate the entire hall. It was disgusting. That was fixed by making people close the door, which I'm pretty sure is some kind of fire code/state law anyway. Who cares if they smoke if it's not directly causing problems?

I hope that guy takes them to the cleaners.

At the place I used to work at, everyone smoked. At their desks, in the breakrooms, hell even on the plant floor.

Old IT guy used to smoke in the loving server room. Ugh.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

I'm so sick of getting the guy who keep signing up for poo poo thinking his email address is 'bobmorales@gmail.com', when I have 'bob.morales@gmail.com' (not my real name).

He's from Mexico so there's all kinds of cool poo poo like Western Union transfers and even concert tickets that are sent to my inbox. If I lived closer to Texas I would have went to go see Michael Buble, on him.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Inspector_666 posted:

Blackberries. I do not loving understand the OS these things use. Am I just an idiot who needs dumb babby mobile OSes like Android and iOS?

I have no idea how ti find the settings for anything on a Blackberry, and that's after I get past having to use the tiny little trackball thing.

I'm trying to troubleshoot/confirm some contact sync settings and I have no idea what to look for. On either of the other big mobile OSes I would simply go into Settings and find the mail/accounts section, but that doesn't exist on this thing. I just...I don't understand.

Boy howdy would I love a job where I never have to touch another BB again.

I had a BB as a company phone back before the iPhone came out, it was rad. I had to pull some pictures off one the other day and it took me like a half hour to figure out how to use that drat thing again.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Pissed off customer. One of our booking websites sucks balls and our webdevs are clueless. This particular site is buggy in IE and it was suggested he use Firefox (our as the web programmers call it, one of which doesn't even have internet at home, 'Mozilla')

pissed customer posted:

Subject: web problems/

Hey there <____>. I thought I would write to you so that you could kick this upstairs. I write to and call the tech people but they seem not to care, but they are tech people. I think the new website is the smartest thing yet that you guys have done, I am looking at having the same kind of thing done for me and have been talking to web developers about it. That said, its ease of use lacking. Because I happen to use the largest commercially used web browser on the planet and comes preloaded in nearly 100% of computers, it will freeze up on me an average of 6 times during any one estimate or search. Sometimes only one or 2 times, sometimes as many as 12. Actually that was my max number of times I had to log out and re log back in to complete a task. I am told I should use a different browser. It was tough enough going from dos to windows, and I have tried to use another browser but am unwilling to figure it out. I have a website with built in calculators and it doesn't have these issues.
The reason I think this is important is that I only book interstate customers now who I am currently doing local business with or thru, I accept no new interstate business, I turn them away.That way I can limit my frustration with having to be on your website doing 1 estimate for 20 or more minutes. I know that I am passing up a lot of money, but I am busy anyway.
I know a lot of tech people have very negative feelings toward microsoft or any big company because they feel they are evil giants.
I am not saying that this is why yours doesn't work with the microsoft browser(the largest in the world) but it seems to me that it should work with the largest browser on the planet. If you could please forward this on to someone who might be able to do something about it, that would be great. Thanks for your time and sorry if I rambled a bit. This will be the last email I send to anyone there regarding this.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

quote:

It was tough enough going from dos to windows

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

totalnewbie posted:

Is it just me or is barracuda web filter a piece of poo poo?

Barracuda's mail filters are some of the only ones I don't loving hate.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

My boss ia a tool. We're driving to the datacenter where we have some crap to install some crap, and he spent like an hour printing out maps on how to get there. Like we don't have iPhones or GPS. And it's not like it's just JUMP ON I75 TO THIS EXIT GO ON THIS MAIN ROAD it's like we're driving to timbuktu.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

the spyder posted:

I was not impressed with our load balancers. Both are junk hardware wise and have a super basic web interface. The ease of use was great for our old admin, but I removed them after the $3k in support renews came back up.
Their support is ridiculous, it's the same price as the hardware for some products and you have to pay it yearly.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Pretty standard for call center gigs

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Anyone know the trick to resetting the config or the user/pass on a APC PDU (7990 model)? I configured one that was fine but this one we got used, I can't get into even over serial. I can hit the web interface but of course apc/apc doesn't work and the reset button doesn't seem to do jack poo poo.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

theangryamoeba posted:

I deal with these all the time. The trick is to push the reset button. While the light is flashing you have a minute or so to login via the serial console. You should be able to get in with the default username and password apc/apc

Remember you need to set your serial port to 9600 8n1

Not responding, I have what I think is the right cable, it's brand new in the bag from our APC KVM thingy. Maybe it's not the right one (manual says 940-0144A)

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

theangryamoeba posted:

The cable should be grey with an rj-11 on one side and a female db-9 on the other.

http://www.apcmedia.com/salestools/ASTE-6Z6KAM/ASTE-6Z6KAM_R0_EN.pdf Here is the manual for the 7990. The directions are on page 19 under "recover from lost password"

The cable I had was not the right one. eBay seller gave up the password...all set

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

I have to pull emails and such for two users here, and they're going to be getting fired because of the content. I don't know one of them, but I know the other, she sits across the aisle from me and I've hung out with her and her boyfriend quite a few times, they're really great people.

But of course I can't say anything to her, or anyone else about it. Luckily she's not here so we can't pull poo poo off her laptop until she is, I almost want to send her some anonymous text message "DELETE EVERY MESSAGE YOU EVER SENT TO XXXXX@.YYYY.COM TRUST ME" so they won't have any proof when she comes back.

:smith:

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Sudden Infant Def Syndrome posted:

What kind of emails would get two people fired if its just between them?

Two different people here emailing people outside the company

skipdogg posted:

1: It's never worth losing your own job to protect someone else. No heads up no matter how good of a friend they are. Don't discuss it with anyone period.
Right, I wouldn't even consider doing anything to stop it, I just feel a little bit bad because I know the person.

skipdogg posted:

2: Don't volunteer anything outside of exactly what you are asked to provide. If they want emails from the last 60 days between John and Jane, give them that and only that. Don't volunteer emails between John and Mary you may come across that might be harmful to them.
Exactly.

skipdogg posted:

3: Cover Your rear end. All requests like this should have upper management and HR involvement and follow all established documented company procedures if they exist. At least make sure you have emails documenting the request.
My boss and the president of the company asked me to do it.

skipdogg posted:

4: Remember you're just providing information, these parties chose to do something that ended up in them getting fired. You didn't get them fired, they got themselves fired. The first few times I had a situation like this I had a bit of personal guilt about it. Don't let that happen to you.
I know. Done it a hundred times before.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

FISHMANPET posted:

There's like zero laptops that have com ports anymore.

I have an HP Probook 6500-series that for some reason has one.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

1980's computer system used to kick out reports on 132 column greenbar paper, right?

That kind of poo poo. We don't have any line printers anymore but we still have a couple cases of this poo poo in storage.

Anyway, now these files just get emailed to people and they open them in Word (Why Wordl? Excel just makes too much loving sense for this kind of poo poo. Or even a PDF export/conversion). If you adjust the margins and lower the font size, it looks okay (or you could just use NotePad++ but...)

Here's the problem: not all the reports are 132-column. Some go to 150 or 160 columns. Horses!

So IMB declares, "Bob Morales you must fix this glitch in Microsoft Word!"

I bump the font size down one more pt, and it looks fine.

"That's unreadable! No one can read such small fonts!"

It's one point smaller, dumbfuck. I have like 20/35 vision and I can see it just fine.

"I've resized it back up one point size. This looks much better!"

I tried explaining to dumbledore that the headers aren't lined up anymore. They are spilling over to the next line. Everything in the report is now wrong! He needs to fix his stupid report! I show him where the linefeed characters are in his output, he ignores me. H doesn't understand that he can't just cut the columns off wherever he wants! Fool!

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

HalloKitty posted:

If only there was some kind of zoom feature.

"Our users aren't smart enough to zoom and we don't want to confuse them, they have been doing their jobs this way for..."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Going to kill this motherfucker (not really don't call the cops)

When ever admin@abc.com gets an email notification, such as:

"Backup stopped by ABC\BMorales"

"128.1.5.55 has logged into XYZ Control Panel"

He forwards it to me and says "DID YOU JUST STOP A BACKUP JOB" or "DID YOU JUST LOG INTO THE SWITCH"

Yes mother fucker! That's why that email says that! :haw: