Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Just wear the fucking mask, Bob

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

Drive me nuts when my boss knows I have a call or ticket open with a vendor, and he says "Hey see if they will fix xxxx while you're talking to them so we don't have to open another ticket"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

"Internet Explorer" posted:

Although I am cringing when I think about asking what you currently do instead.

Probably what they did at my old job. Your first day is watching some helpdesk lackey with a paper checklist setup all your poo poo.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

I'm convinced most infosec tools are created by people who enjoy busywork. Like the kind of people who would tattle on you to a teacher love this kind of job.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

We have an old phone system. Mitel 3300. It's fine I guess. But there are like 6 web interfaces depending on what you want to do. System admin, voicemail, conferencing, etc

One of these web interfaces doesn't time you out. The other ones all have a timeout setting where you can pick the amount of time that elapses before you're signed out.

Support has already told met here's not a way to change that setting. After informing my manager, I'm supposed to escalate the issue higher until they fix it.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Attention COVID deep-clean team contractors:

DO NOT WIPE OUR SCREENS WITH YOUR DISINFECTANT MIXTURE

aaaahhh

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Steakandchips posted:

How is your organisation this cheap?

quote:

The number we were given for xxxxx Uber conference call that was supposed to run until noon is no longer working. We received the number from G, xxx-xxx-4215 with the pin 11736. Now that number is saying that the pin is invalid. We are using an old number with the DC plannerís pin and this number only gives us 40 mins before disconnecting our conference call. The number G gave us was available from 8am to 12 noon. Can we remedy this soon please?
Today's email

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

I hate skype but at least we can cut/paste images for screenshots and such

We're being forced to the phone system IM client (now everyone is going to bug us on IM instead of calling helpdesk) and it doesn't support images

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Second warning for not wearing a mask at my desk!

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

mattfl posted:

Do you sit near other people?

No. Someone was in our office but not even near me. I'm not wearing one all day at my desk they can send me home.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Not pissing me off, but pissing my co-worker off and hilarious to watch:

We have a time clock that's been having issues. The bigger problem is that it's in the part of the hospital that has the most covid and is all tented off and nobody is supposed to be going in/out of.

So, at the beginning of the day our manager told my co-worker, "Work with Bob on getting this time clock working." Co-worker is WFH so I'm the on--site hands or whatever.

IN THE MIDST OF TROUBLESHOOTING with the timeclock vendor on the line, manager starts disabling/enabling PoE on the network port, to reboot the timeclock. Thanks!

Then a half hour later he sends someone to get pull the clock off the wall and bring it down to IT.

quote:

Additionally, please donít have anyone remove the clock just yet. Fuse will be looking at the clock with my request, and may install some firmware patches in an effort to fix. This has resolved the issue a few times in the past.
Too late!

quote:

This is being made FAR more complicated than it needs to be, I really wish we had left the unit there for now. In the absolute worst case, we couldíve just removed the fingerprint reader instead of the entire device, but thereís every possibility that they couldíve fixed remotely right now.

If we canít just get it reconnected, there are steps at http://wiki/index.php/Time_Clocks to configure it for a new location. Just keep in mind that weíll have do it again once itís moved back to the floor.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

The Iron Rose posted:

there are a thousand people dying in america every single day, wearing a mask might be inconvenient but it's also literally saving people's lives.

Can't spread it if I've already had it. I'm exempt from our weekly testing now, so why the gently caress do I have to wear a mask?

I still wear one going in/out of the building and when I leave my office. I just don't want to wear one at my loving desk all day.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Weatherman posted:

How do all those doctors and nurses manage to live when they spend much of their day masked up under normal circumstances? It is a medical mystery we may never solve.

They also wear rubber gloves all day so throw on a pair of those

I wear a mask at the grocery store or whenever in public. I wear one outside of my office. I wear one coming in and out of the building.

I just donít want to wear one at my loving desk.

If you think youíre going to infect someone a football field away 70 days after having the virus youíre nuts.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

ConfusedUs posted:

gently caress, I didn't even realize this was knife guy.

Sigh.

Leatherman in my pocket while I have a tool cart. Not knife guy.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

And an honest question to any of you, do you have to wear a mask the entire time at your job? Because if you donít, itís easy to sit on a high horse and tell people what to do.

Iíll drop this but some of you need to relax.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Volguus posted:

The company that I work for is usually working from home, but the office is there for the few people that may need it. They have this entire protocol for checking in, checking out, wearing a mask while walking around the office, stay in distanced cubicles, etc. But, at least for now, the guidelines say that while at your desk, you don't have to wear a mask.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Woof Blitzer posted:

Bitch wear the mask

I have to, so I am. I just disagree.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

ConfusedUs posted:

because it absolutely matters that your knife also has a pair of pliers in that context

There are about fifty other tools you can cut stuff with on the cart. Saws, snips, other knives, blah blah.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Same thing but CEOís Secretary was printing the actual PDF to another PDF which zaps all the forms etc

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

WHO website:

A well-maintained and operated system can reduce the spread of COVID-19 in indoor spaces by increasing the rate of air change, reducing recirculation of air and increasing the use of outdoor air.

Maybe ask your maintenance department if they are regularly changing your air filters instead of just freaking out about your HVAC?

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

quote:

I would like a daily/weekly report with some of the following informationÖ This information would be used by IT for security reporting and Managers for productivity reasons.

Who logged in yesterday
What time they logged in (if multiple times report all)
What time they logged out (if multiple times report all)
How long were they connected in total for the day

Food for thought Ė For those staff that are RDP can we send syslog info on those devices to show RDP login, lock screen, unlock ?

Has morphed into:

quote:

Can it show daily Ė connect at 7am, disconnect at 430?

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Agrikk posted:

Da fuq? If you accrue your 2-3-4 weeks of vacation (or whatever) you are only allowed to bank 40 hours the next year? What kind of bullshit is that?

edit: admittedly one should always take all of one's vacation every year...

I have a coworker that hit like 300 hrs and they wonít let him bank anymore

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

DoomTrainPhD posted:

We have unlimited PTO. My last company also had unlimited PTO and it was 100% a scam. The average person took less than a week per year.

Doing it wrong then. My wife's company is like that, one of the girls she works with takes time off like 2 or 3 times a week to go get facials and 'appointments'.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Sales people can pull the trump card of THIS SALE

Worst, to least worst, but still terrible:
Doctors -> Lawyers -> Sales -> Marketing

I don't think Sales and Marketing people are that bad, it's just they have much stronger personalities than say, the peons in accounting, so they are harder to work with.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

The Fool posted:

I'm super excited to be moving away from 'small team, do everything' to an actual full-size enterprise and being on a team that does just a specific thing.

e: 5 more business days till first day at new job

My thing is I get bored quickly. Iíve worked for companies who probably could have gotten away with just using an MSP.

Doing everything is fun, but you do a phone system every ten years, buy all new switches every ten years, update servers every three years if youíre lucky, upgrade exchange every five years...maybe youíll be dragged into a facilities project like alarm systems, security cameras, or door access.

You have to hope for side projects that you can drag out for months. ERP systems, implementing things like HR or CRM software, that kind of poo poo.

But you almost always get stuck in a rut. A lot of companies donít want to move to the cloud. So youíre stuck with on-prem systems. That AS/400 sticks around. Your skills start to deterioate.

You get flack for having a new job every three years but what else can you do?

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

We got an email the other day saying that if we got covid, thereís no way we could have gotten it at work so we have to use PTO if we miss work because of it. Iíll copy and paste it tomorrow.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Couldnít find the email but were a low risk facility because we prescreen and test weekly blah blah.

duffmensch posted:

Wow. HR and payroll setup a special fund to track COVID related absences so that it wouldn't hit people's sick time accruals and they wouldn't try showing up if they were sick. Going to have to remember to thank them tomorrow for not being sociopaths (at least in this case).

Over a month ago when I got it we were able to get two weeks. Not sure what changed.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

klosterdev posted:

Bob (wear your mask) don't you work for a hospital or mental health facility or something? And they're saving its impossible their employees in a Healthcare facility couldn't catch it at work?

Like, it's extremely dumb and will cause outbreaks from people coming to work sick but that's like, especially dumb.

quote:

Will we get the COVID-19 vaccine? If so, will WORKPLACE require staff across the facility to be vaccinated? If weíve already been positively diagnosed with COVID, do we need to be vaccinated? Once vaccinated, do we still need to wear masks?

MDHHS did say we will get the vaccine in phase 1-2 (Dec-Jan likely) and they will not mandate an Emergency use only vaccine. WORKPLACE will follow the federal and state requirements for staff vaccination when vaccine is available. Answers for the questions, if you were positive do you need vaccination and wear a mask will hopefully be answered then but it is anticipated that social distancing and masking will still be required.

Why are we keeping COVID positive patients/residents now when we were not before?

With the increase in the number of COVID positive cases in the community the HUBs for LTC residents are full and not accepting additional residents at this time. The last few COVID positive LTC residents had to go to Detroit area HUBs. The hospitals will not accept asymptomatic COVID positive or mildly symptomatic COVID positive patients.

Why isnít housekeeping cleaning like they were initially?

As with many departments housekeeping has experienced staffing issues throughout the pandemic. We are continuing to work to find ways to provide a safer, cleaner environment including using new technologies such as electrostatic cleaners which can provide much quicker sanitization of an area from a single staff member. We also have worked with housekeeping management to review cleaning guidelines. Overall, weíve also seen excellent ATP scores, an ATP device looks for living organisms on a surface and provides a score based on how well a high-touch surface was cleaned. This can also be credited to unit staff which have been tremendously helpful throughout the pandemic and have stepped up to help keep our patients and residents safe. If you have any housekeeping concerns please bring them to the directory of housekeeping.

Why do some staff who test positive and are asymptomatic get retested and some donít?

When we first started using Honu labs, we received a large number of asymptomatic positive staff and were having them retest to verify their results. WORKPLACE was also working with MDHHS BOL to retest original samples during this time. After changing over to NxGen labs, we found that they had accurate results and stopped the retesting of staff. Now people who are positive should not get retested for three months.

Do I have to use PTO time for my COVID absence days?

If a staff memberís exposure is defined as occurring at WORKPLACE, WORKPLACE will pay normal scheduled hours for the first week and will then make up the difference in the amount received from workers compensation for the quarantine timeframe (typically a total of 14 days). Because WORKPLACE is classified as a low risk facility for employee exposure, it is more likely that an employeeís exposure occurred outside of WORKPLACE. Therefore, staff will be required to use PTO to cover their absence days related to COVID.

Also, re: mandatory PTO becuase of business being down

quote:

When will the mandatory time off end? Are holidays counted as days in this mandatory time?

We are unable to provide a definite time when employees will no longer have to take mandatory time off. This is dependent on if census increases in the future. The mandatory PTO/UTO time is in addition to holidays Ė holidays may not be used as the mandatory time off requirement.

As a manager, if we need people to staff, do we exempt the mandatory time off requirement?

Mandatory time off requirement can be adjusted based on staffing needs, with approval to do so, on a case by case basis.

Can we consider changing the PTO required time off so that if senior people with more PTO want to take extra days, then a Junior personís PTO is not depleted as much?

In this scenario, a department would be responsible for a certain number of PTO hours each month and could take volunteers rather than mandating.
At this time, we will continue to ask all salaried staff and full-time hourly staff not involved in direct patient care to continue the mandatory time off. Beginning with the time period 11/8/2020, employees will only be required to take 8 hours of PTO/UTO every 4 weeks. Mandatory PTO/UTO will be re-evaluated on 1/02/2021.

If I am off work for COVID related reasons, can I use that time off as part of my mandatory PTO/UTO days each month?

Yes.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

The Iron Rose posted:

This is evil, by the way. Just pure recklessness and malice.
It was either that or lay 10% of the staff off.

Internet Explorer posted:

Maybe IT workers in the US can finally unionize...?

Naaaah, who are kidding?

Our union employees don't fall under this because they are understaffed right now, they're actually mandated to be working overtime right now.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

I have two iPads at my desk that the maintenance department is going to end up using at some point to run WorxHub

Someone walks in our office, asks if we have any iPhone chargers. Boss comes over and grabs one of the iPad charger off my desk and gives it to her.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Earlier this week, our CFO volunteered to have the accounting department take calls for the most COVID-stricken wing of the building. Basically people calling to check in on their elderly family members or whatever.

So this involves taking the front desk in that area, all the outside calls, and forward those to a newly created ring group with a couple people from accounting in it. Internal calls still ring their front desk. Setup ringing limits, destinations for the calls to go to or ring back if nobody picks up. And then put this on a schedule from 8:30-4:30

Kind of a pain in the rear end to do, but not a huge deal, since we aren't in the phone system all that often.

Anyway, I get it all working, and then maybe 1 hour later I get the call. 'Undo it.'

I could have told you by the tone of voice on the accounting peoples voices when I made my test calls, that this wouldn't work.

I don't know how many calls came in but this kept them from being able to get any work done.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

It's so annoying when you have an IM/chat going with someone then they start asking you questions in email

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

I just drink whatever poo poo coffee I can get at McDonalds, Burger King, or Speedway, in that order. I'm barely awake so I don't give a gently caress.

If I'm running late I use the vending machine at work that gives you a cup with a poker hand on it, like in Terminator 2.

And if it's a Friday I'll stop somewhere nice to get an Americano and a little snack.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

We're using SSL VPN for remote users because they can connect to the 1-2 things they need and can use their home PC.

The problem is, RDP font smoothing doesn't work the same because it's a janky client from the firewall vendor and not the actual Microsoft RDP client. IE fonts are fine. Chrome is not. None of the workarounds seem to work.

Hooray! Nobody can read poo poo.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Agrikk posted:

We have either CebturyLink or Comcast here and they both suck. But our utilities district is now offering to build a fiber run to my house but I then have to find an ISP to actually give me the bandwidth.

The site survey was completed and it would only cost $34,000 to get the fiber installed.

So now Iím starting a campaign to the 40-odd houses on the proposed fiber route to see if there is enough interest to split the cost.

This is so not going to happen

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Twe6uTwOyJo

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Rooted Vegetable posted:

I have to card reader my way into the washroom. Before anyone asks, it only works for one of the washrooms. I presume it helps avoid unintentional errors.

Rooted Vegetable took a 45 minute poo poo on Monday!

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Dick Trauma posted:

EDIT: He personally decided that I would have an office in the corner of the building farthest from an exit, so if any poo poo goes down I am definitely going to die.

Keep a Mossberg 500 JIC in your desk drawer

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

The Iron Rose posted:

Fwiw this would be considered batshit loving insane like everywhere else

American gun culture is wild bc I actually canít tell if youíre joking and honestly I suspect youíre not

Of course I'm kidding.

There was a place I worked where my office and the server room was way back in the corner of the factory, on the second floor. If a disgruntled employee came in and started shooting people I would have had no way out.

That said, when we fired a guy who had some mental issues, he said he was going to come shoot the place up. He had a dishonorable discharge from the Army and we called the Sheriff's department who would drive by every once in a while for a few days. I just started carrying to work for while.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

I hate getting an on-call call, at like 6:30am on Monday.

1. I'm not even on call this week, I was on call LAST week.
2. I'm taking a shower and driving into work. Just put a ticket in and I'll fix it when I get there.

Also, CEO admin assistant bitch called the helpdesk service because she couldn't get online (Verizon Mifi issue). They called me, I called her back, and she had already called my boss direct for help. wtf

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Goddammit. I wasn't here last week, and our desktop support guy tested positive on Thursday. So I'll be running around fixing poo poo. Bah. Gave my boss a muscle relaxer and I'm guessing he'll be going home soon so I'll be by myself for the week.

1 person who is WFH right now is the only one in our department that hasn't gotten it yet.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Ahhh it's that time of year

"Plugged a space heater into my power strip and now my poo poo don't work"