Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Just wear the fucking mask, Bob

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

The same 5-6 people have problems logging into VPN every morning....

Going to tattoo some passwords on some peoples hands.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

Heh, someone who retired 2 years ago called and said they can't get into their email. Must not use it much.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Neddy Seagoon posted:

Why was their account not locked out the moment they left the company is the bigger question.

It was. She's apparently never tried to use it until now.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

The Fool posted:

Why is someone that is retired, and ostensibly no longer an employee, using company e-mail 2 years after the fact.

I think she was trying to access her 401k documents or something along those lines

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

The Iron Rose posted:

My mom still has her university email after being retired on long term disability for the better part of a decade now. It’s the only one she uses - she’s has it for literally decades now! I can see it being just one of those decent human things.

It's not uncommon for universities to give you email after you've finished school.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

loving Best Buy

To return poo poo you have to stand in the regular checkout line, they closed customer service

Line goes halfway to the back of the drat store

“Hey boss returns are down 87%!”

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

CollegeCop posted:

Jesus loving Christ people - do your goddamn jobs!

Every single person in the support center is trained on how to reset passwords. It is the very first thing you learn in training. You spend an entire day at the end of your training doing nothing but fielding password resets/account unlocks. It is the most basic function of the support center.

SO. WHY. THE. gently caress. DO. THESE. CALLS. KEEP. GETTING. TRANSFERRED?

Ok, maybe there is something fucky with the account, you're new, not sure how to fix - transfer that up to the next tier. WITH A PROPERLY FORMATTED AND NOTATED TICKET!

My last caller had been transferred 5! loving! TIMES! for a dead-rear end simple password unlock. AND NOT A SINGLE PERSON HAD STARTED A GODDAMN loving TICKET!

This, combined with a glut of expiring passwords, and device encryption

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Reminds me I need to set our vpn timeout to 10 hours. It’s on 8hrs so if you don’t disconnect for lunch you have to sign back in at like 4

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

WD should make their RMA site harder to use

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

mattfl posted:

I also asked him, since we work in the hospital system that will be first to get the vaccine this week, if we're considered frontline workers and will get the vaccine first with the nurses/doctors here and his stance is going to be, if hospital leadership wants us in the hospital to support those nurses/doctors then yes we should be getting the vaccine with them, so we'll see if that holds up.

You're getting it this week? I haven't heard any dates, but I heard we were getting it this month.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

sixth and maimed posted:

Quick question: I need to set up a number of android phones. Other than Intune, are there any MDM solutions I should look at?

What do you need to do?

We use BlackBerry UEM

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

That awkward first hour of the morning when you're the only one there...

If you're not going to come in, email/message/call before your shift starts, or right at that time. Don't wait until an hour after.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

omg

boss 'renewed' our domain last night

he said you can't go from a yearly to a multi-year without letting it lapse

"They give you a 10 day grace period"

DOMAIN IS GONE THIS MORNING

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

If you have an iPhone, why can't you just use that for your zoom meeting? Why do you have to put in a level 10 I NEED A WAPTOP RIGHT NOWWWW ticket? Or just use your desktop. Nobody wants to see your ugly face.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

mattfl posted:

Happy Friday!

We also have this dumb DNS 'feature' where we can flip our records to point to our secondary ISP because we don't have real failover, and that's causing issues as well. Been trying to get rid of that stupid thing forever.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Polio Vax Scene posted:

buy the domain on a personal account and tell him someone else bought it out from under us while it was expired

They've re-instated it for another year (1and1)
But the nameservers are pointing to 1and1

POINT THEM TO OUR DNS PROVIDER

"Hey can you xfer that poo poo to namecheap or gandi so we don't have to deal with this bullshit next year?"

"Sure, I'll do that next year"

Just do it now. gently caress.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Kyrosiris posted:

ahahaha oh boy :allears:

Honestly I'm genuinely shocked you got it back if it's with them. Absolute worst poo poo-tier bargain basement provider I've ever dealt with.

It's also IONOS by 1and1, to make it even better.

After I said we should move it, I got this reply:

Agreed. We should move it to Bigrock.com where we have (our other domain) hosted. They do 10 year renewals.

:colbert:

They are an EIG company

Bob Morales fucked around with this message at 21:07 on Dec 4, 2020

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Haven’t drank since February...

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

ISP DNS servers who don't update for poo poo

Also my dumbfuck boss was changing 'vpn.contoso.com' to 12.34.56.78 on Friday for people over the phone. Ugh.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

We apparently started blocking webmail this morning. Nobody told anyone, but we did.

Here come the calls!

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

mattfl posted:

lol we did that last month, it was a poo poo show, it's still blocked.

I don't know why we waited a month. We delayed it for some reason. Just let your IT staff know when you do it so we aren't trying to figure out why it's blocked etc.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Not pissing me off: I was allowed to sign up for a 'Advanced Binary Security' training class, get to play around with basic stuff like debuggers and overflows. Nothing I haven't learned before in HACKING books but I at least get to dedicate two days to it and also get out of work. Also don't have to take dumb manager with me who loves this kind of stuff

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Let's talk about rack placement

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

gently caress two post racks

gently caress putting them against a wall

gently caress putting them in the corner

And gently caress putting an outlet eight inches in front of it

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

We're having a circuit from company X installed. Reseller of company Y.

Company Y 'installed' the circuit. Boss plugs laptop in, can't use it, blah blah. "this should work!"

Asks me to take a look at it. "Well, they aren't done...someone's going to come from company X and finish it.

"he said he was done!"

:rolleyes:

Today company X calls. "Hey I'm coming in tomorrow to finish that circuit"

"Well company Y was here the other day and did it already"

"Yea, but..."

Hey bob know why the circuit don't work yet? Company X is going to come install their own router! :haw:

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

If I had a dollar for every time I had to explain why Speedtest.net doesn't match up with 'numbers the ISP gave us'

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Manager sends me an IM first thing this morning:

"Hey, I'm running a PowerShell command on the Exchange server..."

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Steakandchips posted:

That's going to end well.

He won't show me the script but keeps asking how to fix it.

"Help me fix it"

Isolate the line that fails, see what the actual error is and try to narrow it down from there. Or wrap it in a try-catch block and just keep going if it gets an error.

Wait...whatever you did, Exchange server did not like.

He's looping through every email in every mailbox to check for a subject line and then trying to delete the message. It keeps bombing out on the mailbox of a Chinese student.

We've been having intermittent exchange 'pauses' this morning.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

xzzy posted:

Sounds like someone regrets sending those dick pics.

Actually it was a list of everyone at the facility who's tested positive during the current testing period.

Every day we get an email "COVID summary for 12/14/2020", listing each department and how many people/patients:

2 staff members in xx department
1 staff member in xx department
2 patients in xx department

testing will be on the following days:

blah blah blah

employee health will reach out to anyone who may have had potential exposuer

Well, at the bottom of this particular email was the chain of emails with everyone's names that tested positive during that period. Oops.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

ConfusedUs posted:

We got acquired a year ago.

This gif accurately depicts the status of the integration.
https://imgur.com/gallery/YaD4TQ9

I thought that MacBook was going to get water damage

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

What is it about not knowing about certain things that makes people want to upgrade/change them?

"I don't know how a loving route works, I'm going to change our firewalls over to SD-WAN"

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

The “HVAC spraying covid death on everyone”...

BACK WHEN I GOT IT (early October), i was at work, potentially asymptomatic for 7 days before my positive test result. (Four days before my test, two days after it, as well as the day I tested)

We did not start wearing masks in shared offices until the middle of November. Only entering the building, hallways, shared spaces, etc.

We still don’t have to wear masks in private offices, cafeteria when eating, etc. None of our patients wear masks.

An entire 8 people out of 400 tested positive the week after I did. Way more people should have gotten it if it transferring through the air with myself and two co-workers having it at the same time.

We have had that many people test positive in a single day during December. Usually it’s 1-2, but some days it’s more.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

bull3964 posted:

So, how long into the vaccination effort before we have an idiot going on an anti-mask rant in Costco because they are

I’d be surprised if half the population gets it. People have a million stupid reasons to not get it.

It’s made from dead baby fetuses or your arms will fall off in three years etc

Just like most people don’t get flu shots.

I’d feel better if they had more testing but I am not anti-vaccine in any way.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

tactlessbastard posted:

Goddamn I don't know what is in the corporate IT update package they just pushed down from the mothership but my laptop has been rebooting and updating for a solid 90 minutes straight

E oh cool now my desktop image is a marketing graphic. :discourse:

We have a .vbs that runs every half hour to change the wallpaper

Unselects everything and refreshes your desktop when it runs. Very annoying

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Bob Morales posted:

What is it about not knowing about certain things that makes people want to upgrade/change them?

"I don't know how a loving route works, I'm going to change our firewalls over to SD-WAN"

WE AINT GOT NO INTERNET THIS MORNING

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Bob Morales posted:

WE AINT GOT NO INTERNET THIS MORNING

DNS Filter
Bug ID

Description

DNS filter may encounter delays when connecting to anycast servers over TLS/853.

Workaround: Disable the anycast server or allow the rating error.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

klosterdev posted:

Forcing everyone to have the same desktop background is really dumb as a concept imo.

People put pictures of their kids, or spouse, or other things important to them all the time that they get to look at while working. It's literally free motivation that the users give themselves. If a couple dumbfucks get caught with inappropriate wallpaper, just make a security group of them, then create a GPO or similar that locks wallpaper to the company logo that kicks in only for users in that security group. If anyone else does it, they go into the security group because they lost their wallpaper privileges and nobody else has to.

The point is the wallpaper has information on it and rotates to show a bunch of info that people will never see because they have apps open all day

Also seven minute screensaver lock

Ughhh

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

i am a moron posted:

I've found that a rigorous routine of furiously googling and doing whatever a combination of 3-5 different articles says to do will get things working with certs.

would you like ft job with HPE support? kindly inbox me pls.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

tactlessbastard posted:

I've been here since June and I still don't have all the access rights necessary to do all my described job duties

Last $AWFUL_JOB didn't give a new programmer a computer for almost 2 months

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Most of the guys I work with are from a much larger regional hospital and they were tired of being cycle through all the outsourced healthcare IT firms they would change every few years. Every change was less pay and less benefits.