Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

rolleyes
Nov 16, 2006

Sometimes you have to roll the hard... two?

Maneki Neko posted:

No, they got encrypted passwords too.

Here's what I worry about : with all of the revelations about what the megalomaniacs at the NSA have been up to (potential backdoors inserted into industry standard NIST algorithms, or even deliberately compromising the design from the outset, etc) exactly how long is it going to be until someone figures out how to exploit those same weaknesses? I reckon there's going to be a point in the next couple of years where anything encrypted with one of those algorithms today might as well be in pain text.

I know someone's going to say "but password encryption should be one way only" (i.e. hashed) and I agree, it should, but this is Adobe we're taking about so it probably isn't. Plus the credit card numbers definitely won't be.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

rolleyes
Nov 16, 2006

I wouldn't be surprised if he is serious, I've seen people expect the IT department to train them before.

These are always, without fail, the same people who put "six-sigma certified Excel 2013 blackbelt, 8 years experience" on their cv.

rolleyes
Nov 16, 2006

This is management being spineless again. It is not your company's responsibility to train this guy to do the job he claimed to be qualified for, nor is it their place to act as social security for him.

There are a couple of points which could avert a firing:
- Has your boss actually brought up his poor performance with him and set out an improvement plan for him with targets to meet? If not then this should definitely be done first.
- Is there any training or qualifications he could get (outside of work time and on his own dime) which might improve matters?
- Can he be reassigned to another position?

If none of that is a help then there's not really much choice. It's not nice having to fire someone and it's worse when you know it will cause them hardship, but sometimes it still has to be done.

I'd also suggest your boss has a look at your hiring process to see why he managed to get through it, as from your description it sounds like he's almost comically bad. If she wants to avoid having to fire under-performers then the easiest way to achieve that is to not hire them in the first place.

rolleyes
Nov 16, 2006

hihifellow posted:

I'm going to bring up transferring him to another department on Monday, though I'm not sure how well it'll go over; part of the problem is we're very tight on staff and pulling someone out of our ticket queue, even if they mess up half of them, is a blow.

Obviously you know better than I do, but if he's really that bad then the blow might not be as bad as you think when you consider the delays and re-work he's causing you.

rolleyes
Nov 16, 2006

MF_James posted:

v--Lum is a DJ!

Like God! :v:

rolleyes
Nov 16, 2006

CitizenKain posted:

Used to have a person who would treat the instant in IM as that means the other person would instantly reply back. I was working on an issue once that was kinda important and an IM showed up from a coworker in another building.
I looked at it, went back to what I was doing. Another IM. Couple of minutes later, another.
Then an email showed up with the IM text pasted in.
I went to type in the IM window that I'm busy when my phone rang on its second line. Ignored that, set IM to DND.

Then a coworker came over and asked if I was busy because this person asked them to tell me they needed to talk to me. I told them I was busy and I'll get to it later.

20 minutes later my boss comes by and says he got a call from that person saying I was ignoring them, and that the complain to him was CC'd to every manager in IT.

I've had this happen to me before too. Guess what, buddy? By pulling that poo poo, you've just ensured you get nothing but the bare minimum of service from me for the rest of our working relationship. Hope the tantrum was worth it.

rolleyes
Nov 16, 2006

Handiklap posted:

Management IT is not vindictive.

Haha, touché. So far as I'm concerned if you've gone to both my manager and his manager to accuse me of poor communication because your email went unanswered for 40 minutes (this is what actually happened) while I was trying to deal with a major issue on another project then that's a baseless personal attack on me.

What I mean when I say "the bare minimum of service" is "exactly what company policy dictates, no more, no less". I will continue to respond to your emails in a reasonable time frame, I will attend your meetings and be constructive, and in general behave with the professionalism you're so sadly lacking. However, I am pretty well known in my job for being approachable and willing to help out with things which aren't under my job description if I have the time to do so, but that's at my discretion; I have no duty to go above and beyond for someone who tried to endanger my employment and financial security and so all of that goes out of the window for you after something like that. If that's being vindictive, I'm comfortable with that.

Sickening posted:

So a situation where bubblegum is holding together things someone decideds to remove the bubblegum.

Ah, the IT equivalent of freefalling.

rolleyes fucked around with this message at 15:40 on Oct 30, 2013

rolleyes
Nov 16, 2006

I'm going to be controversial and give some love for printers. Our company recently changed from using HP to Ricoh. Now I have absolutely no idea how painful they were or weren't to set up as I have no involvement in that, but holy crap are they orders of magnitude faster than the old HPs and the group who set them up deserves medals, raises and general congratulations.

With both the old and new setup we have universal printing (print to one queue, swipe access card on any printer to collect) and something about this in combination with PDFs on the HP printers resulted in about 2ppm if you were lucky. What the Ricohs manage by comparison is like going from travel by horse to travel by Concorde.

rolleyes
Nov 16, 2006

Yeah personal printers are verboten here; even the company president doesn't have one.

I don't know what in particular was wrong with the old HP printers or the universal printing setup which caused them to be so slow, all I know is this is printing heaven by comparison.

rolleyes
Nov 16, 2006

Acid Reflux posted:

Make sure your USB installation media is formatted as FAT32...er...really? In 2013?

My kingdom for a cross-platform interoperable file system.

The other day I had to mess about formatting a 500GBP portable harddrive as FAT32 just so a PlayStation 3 could write to it. Why the hell do we not have a decent standard yet.

rolleyes
Nov 16, 2006

evol262 posted:

"What is UDF?" Even Microsoft compares it favorably. Of course, it has very little uptake outside of the DVD authoring realm. But it's unencumbered, supported almost everywhere, and has none of the warts of FAT32.

But since Windows won't allow you to format a harddrive as UDF (would it recognise one formatted as such? Interesting experiment) that makes it not interoperable in practice. I guess I've answered my own question: Microsoft has no interest in promoting a cross-platform filesystem, so we don't have one. They came up with crappy ExFAT to 'solve' that problem which, so far as I know, is supported by... Windows and that's it.

rolleyes
Nov 16, 2006

Bob Morales posted:

The advantage of combination kitchen/server room.

Ding ding, service servers please!

rolleyes
Nov 16, 2006

drat, jacking a laptop from a charity on your way out the door is pretty scummy.

rolleyes
Nov 16, 2006

To resume the earlier chat about having a common firstname.lastname@gmail.com address:

Dear Person With The Same First Name As Me But An Entirely Different Surname,

Congratulations on managing to land yourself an interview! In future, please remember to get your name correct when specifying the email address your prospective employer should send a psychological/personality assessment test to. Since I have no other contact details for you, I have taken the trouble of replying to the email to let the hiring company know of the error. Having failed the fairly basic filter of 'candidate should be able to remember their own name' I think your :yotj: attempt might not get too far on this occasion, but you never know.

Regards,
Me.

rolleyes
Nov 16, 2006

As has been briefly mentioned, the PC speaker was not only capable of playing music, but Pinball Fantasies even used it to play back 3-track MOD files.

rolleyes
Nov 16, 2006

Agrikk posted:

I would love to know the thought process involved with someone trying to make a cat gargle. Anything I can imagine seems more like cat water boarding than cat gargling...

Sorry to ruin your ideas of Brits water-boarding their cats with disinfecant, but TCP is a general disinfectant (not just for gargling) so it's probably more "don't use it to disinfect your cat's wounds as your cat will lick it off and then die".

rolleyes
Nov 16, 2006

caiman posted:

I know better now, I guess.

"How to paste links into outlook" 101:

1. Select link in source application
2. Ctrl+c
3. Switch to new mail window
4. Ctrl+v
5. Highlight the text you just pasted
6. Ctrl+k

You're welcome.

rolleyes
Nov 16, 2006

Caged posted:

And while you're copying and pasting poo poo into Outlook go and find that setting that removes the formatting from everything you paste.

I finally found the setting in the option which allows text pasted in from other sources to be automatically set to 'Keep text only'. You still get the little paste control box so you can set it to one of the other options after you've pasted it if you really need to. This has made my life better.

Welp, that would've been much easier!

rolleyes
Nov 16, 2006

less than three posted:

We suffer from the same problem. Our department spends more time proving we're not at fault (and having to figure out what people screwed up) because it's easier for the DBAs to throw their hands up in the air and point at us saying ":byodame: this query is taking 100 times longer than usual/this isn't working at all! What's wrong with the network! Prove to us it's not the network!" and it always comes back to them either misconfiguring or making some change and then going ":downs: yeah we made <x> change without consulting you, now it doesn't work. THIS IS AFFECTING PRODUCTION."

Occasionally, just occasionally, this can work in your favour. Like a month or so ago when someone in another department had a problem with integration between a service we run and a service they run. Because of the industry I work in, that means they were able to yell both "this is affecting production" and "this is affecting patient care", and rather than come to me about it they went straight to the guy who is ultimately responsible for both departments and the first I hear about it is when he gives me a terse phone call. I was told to have a solution ready to present to both of them in 30 minutes.

The problem? They forgot to clear test data out of their system, which caused conflicts.

Congratulations moron, you showed how dumb you are to the guy who has final signoff on all raises and promotions.

rolleyes
Nov 16, 2006

Ynglaur posted:

This post scares me when I think about the number of systems that prevent password re-use.

I'm confused by it tbh. Unless I'm missing something, under normal circumstances salting a hash shouldn't prevent you from comparing hashed values (especially for the same user) because you'd normally use the same salt value for that user all of the time. As I understand it, the point of a salt isn't to make passwords hard to compare within your own database or organisation, it's to protect against rainbow table attacks if your database is compromised externally.

rolleyes
Nov 16, 2006

Brightman posted:

They're saying if 15 different people used the same password they'd want to ban it, but they salt, and that's different for each user, so it's a no go. The goal is to eliminate any kind of top 10 password list or at least limit it to only 14 instances of "password1" or "adobeadobe".

Ok gotcha, that makes more sense! Or, in other words, I was missing something. :v:

rolleyes
Nov 16, 2006

It goes back to the lovely "short-term over all else, nothing matters but this quarter's numbers" management that infects nearly all large organisations now.

If you delay paying the bill til the next quarter then your numbers for the current one look better and your shareholders praise the awesome financial innovation of the board. Of course, once you've started down this road then you're hosed for two reasons:
- You can never catch up because that would mean paying two bills in the same quarter and the shareholders would want your head on a spike
- Because you can never catch up, if there is even the smallest delay for any reason at all then you miss final payments and lawyers and/or shutoffs happen; of course, this is not your fault and is the shameful behavior of mercenary suppliers penalizing a hard-working business in a struggling economy... or something.

Basically, modern executive practice is to not give two shits about the health of the company you're running.

rolleyes
Nov 16, 2006

Some chucklef... moro... misguided person in corporate IT has pushed out a policy to all laptop users which changes the lid close action to "Hibernate".

:bravo:

rolleyes
Nov 16, 2006

I'm glad I'm not the only one who had a "bwuuuh?" reaction when confronted with the Bra for Windows.

rolleyes
Nov 16, 2006

LooseLeafTea posted:

At least he didn't leave his phone inside the machine like my last Dell tech :v:

This is outstanding. How would you not notice that?

rolleyes
Nov 16, 2006

Lum posted:

only instead of a choice of Local/Domain you had to go browsing through a tree structure several layers deep to find your exact location within the directory. You could guarantee that the directory services would be having a slow day on the day someone important has this issue.

I envy your use of past tense here, I still have to do this (some of our legacy applications require you to log into Novell to use them).

rolleyes
Nov 16, 2006

At this point I feel obliged to remind everyone that YOTJ actually does have an SAclopedia entry:
http://forums.somethingawful.com/dictionary.php?act=3&topicid=2385

rolleyes
Nov 16, 2006

luminalflux posted:

It's user-generated images for a website that we're inheriting, so we're syncing down them from S3 to our own local storage. Apparently there's a lot of images that were deleted in the database but not in S3 because :effort:. Taking forever to sync since s3cmd doesn't really like directories with that many entries.

Edit: Apparently we were off by an order of magnitude, it's 2 million files :staredog:

In a similar vein, I had to investigate a project we're hosting for a client today because "it's slow".

Turns out that's because the genius who built it set up a situation where a table gets a LOT of data written into it (80 million records so far). Did I mention this table had no indexes defined? This guy also seems to be a big fan of "select * from..."

Nope, no idea why that could possibly be running at a suboptimal speed.

rolleyes
Nov 16, 2006

Unfortunately we build the projects as well as host them, do what I now do is apply an SQL manual to the cranium of the offending individual.

rolleyes
Nov 16, 2006

I get a bottle of wine. It seems appropriate.

rolleyes
Nov 16, 2006

I second the opinion that 3D secure is a joke. What looks more secure than a clumsy redirect to a 3rd party website embedded in an iframe which then claims to be "from your bank" and asks for a password?

It's like they decided to purposefully condition people to click on malware.

rolleyes
Nov 16, 2006

Powdered Toast Man posted:

The Queen finally pardoned Turing: http://www.cnn.com/2013/12/24/world/europe/alan-turing-royal-pardon/index.html?hpt=hp_c2

That's about as great of a Christmas present I could ask for.

I'm actually opposed to this, but not because I in any way believe the way he was treated was acceptable.

Turing's treatment was appalling, a fact which the government acknowledged several years ago when it issued a formal apology. However, Turing broke a law which was on the statute books at the time, a law of which he was only too well aware; despite how we view that law now, at the time Turing knew he was committing a criminal offence.

To issue a pardon is an attempt to rewrite history and sets a terrible precedent. It's also a slap in the face to the many thousands of others convicted under this same abhorrent law, some of whom were subjected to similar treatment, some of whom are alive today. Why does Turing deserve a pardon but they don't? Why should a dead man have his criminal record amended whilst people still alive continue to live with the stigma of theirs?

An apology was enough. A pardon is a cynical publicity stunt, and the real reason it hasn't been extended to everyone convicted under this law is because of the litigation liability that would create for the government.

Yeah. They did this out of the goodness of their hearts.

[/derail]

rolleyes fucked around with this message at 18:08 on Dec 24, 2013

rolleyes
Nov 16, 2006

Treguna Mekoides posted:

This is one of the things I hear in IT a lot that pisses me off;

I'm really not interested in having an argument about it so I'll just leave this here as it makes my point better than I ever could.

I recognise not everyone will agree with me, but my position boils down to "pardon everyone or pardon no-one". To do otherwise is itself an injustice.

rolleyes
Nov 16, 2006

The way McAfee products are these days, I'm half expecting them to include a clandestine bitcoin miner in one of their future updates.

rolleyes
Nov 16, 2006

Factory Factory posted:

A malware drama in one act.

:v: Hey, I think my machine might have malware.
:downs: Download HijackThis.
:v: You mean PC Optimizer Pro? It seems to cost money.
:downs: It is time to fix your computer.
:v: Meh. I'll just keep using it.

Malware infestation
An offer of assistance
User does not care

rolleyes
Nov 16, 2006

Erwin posted:

Don't apply to that dumb job then. That's not proof of employment, they just want to get a sweet deal on a chump.

Alternatively, make up some numbers which will push their offer towards the upper end of what you're after.

rolleyes
Nov 16, 2006

CaptainJuan posted:

Yeah every smartphone and every dumb phone I've ever had all the way back to my Nextel Motorola brick did exactly this.

Every android phone that I've owned (all of which have been Samsung so this may be specific to them) has the ability to add numbers to a barred callers list. Next time that number calls you it gets sent straight to voicemail (so to the caller it just appears that your phone is off).

It has pattern matching options (exact match, starts with, ends with, contains) and also the option to auto-reject any call where the number is withheld.

I've used this on some telemarketers before and the sense of satisfaction is nice.

rolleyes fucked around with this message at 11:55 on Jan 5, 2014

rolleyes
Nov 16, 2006

Guess what? In an attempt to polish the turd, Intel is rebranding McAfee to Intel Security, effective immediately.

John McAfee posted:

I am now everlastingly grateful to Intel for freeing me from this terrible association with the worst software on the planet. These are not my words, but the words of millions of irate users.

My elation at Intel's decision is beyond words.

:v:

rolleyes
Nov 16, 2006

dogstile posted:

The worst part is that there's no way to refuse without looking like a selfish rear end in a top hat or playing the sympathy card and saying you have no money to give. Its why I hate people on the street who ask you to save the kids. It bothered me because at the time I was working for charities. I wasn't getting paid to do it. People still looked at me like I was scum for refusing. Putting that sort of judgement on you at work is kinda lovely.

"I already donate privately to the charities which mean something to me."

This has worked for me with pushy charity collectors at supermarket checkouts, and happens to be true. If they press further then:

"My personal finances and choices of charities are not your concern."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

rolleyes
Nov 16, 2006

dogstile posted:

so, you get to take a full third of your year off to be ill? I can't imagine why anyone would go in if they even had a suspicion that they're contagious. I bet that gets abused like hell.

It's very similar in the UK (except I don't even think they can use it as an excuse to fire you) and actually, no, it doesn't. Funnily enough if you treat people decently and as adults, most of them will give you respect back and not abuse the system.

That's not to say there aren't any people who will try, but that's why HR departments have things like the Bradford Score. Again, in itself a high score is not cause for disciplinary action but will usually trigger a meeting to discuss whether you have chronic health problems the company should be aware of, etc. If you continually have a high score without any evidence to back up a real health issue then yes, you probably will be disciplined and/or fired.