Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Samizdata
May 14, 2007

Raerlynn posted:

I would argue the adult thing is to confront the offenders and not punish the whole company. But that would require management to manage.

We use our cells at work, since we can be anywhere in a largish 5 story building and we might not want to use the phone-based paging system (which sucks anyway).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Samizdata
May 14, 2007

dennyk posted:

"You get what you pay for" applies just as much to labor as it does to any other product or service.

If a company can't "afford" to pay something close to market rate for a position, then either they just don't want to because they're prioritizing short-term profits over the long-term health of the company, or they literally can't afford it because they are having cash flow issues and are in serious financial trouble. Either way, it's not a good sign.

Or you work at a mental health non-profit, which has no money. :sigh: OTOH, you can pat yourself on the back for trying to do a good thing.

Samizdata
May 14, 2007

Raerlynn posted:

Holy poo poo that necro post.

If you need to communicate in building, personal cells are... problematic. Either get some cheap company issued ones or get some walkie talkies. I've seen both methods used to great effect.

Sorry. Been busy lately and got behind on my threads. Finally getting caught up now.

OTOH, our boss knows us and trusts us not to abuse having them. Hell, our boss uses them to get in touch with us.

Samizdata
May 14, 2007

Raerlynn posted:

I was referring more to ownership of the data on the device, who pays for the service, etc. I've had an employer who had a weird setup that ostensibly provided "free" talk time and we would pay for any additional services, then proceed to read the SMS texts and use them to discipline employees.

Oh, aye. It's my phone. The usage isn't nuts so I don't worry about it.

Samizdata
May 14, 2007

Ynglaur posted:

You guys should really just use SnagIt. Use Jing if you done want to pay.

Ynglaur posted:

You guys should really just use SnagIt. Use Jing if you done want to pay.

stubblyhead posted:

Greenshot used to be my preferred screen scraper, but snipping tool does pretty much everything I need. A guy I was working with recently had printkey 2000 or something installed on his laptop, it was all I could do to not mock him for it.

I will still stick with Greenshot. Fast, easy, and the integration with external services rock. Plus it is currently only taking 4.1 Mb of RAM on my system. Plus it doesn't do obnoxious stuff like SnagIt and Jing. It just sits there waiting for me to invoke it, nice and quiet in my system tray.

Samizdata
May 14, 2007

I watched Shazam/Isis too.

Samizdata
May 14, 2007

wolrah posted:

My boss came from old school telecom and it took a few years to get him to adapt. We hired a few sales guys from telecom companies early on and that did not go well. They had a knack for finding places in the middle of nowhere who had cobbled together networks and a DSL connection running on little more than two cans and a string.

The best people I've ever had on the tech side are people who learned networking through online games. Good VoIP and good gaming need pretty much the same things.

So, that counts me playing UT 2004 over a turbo parallel cable then?

Samizdata
May 14, 2007

anthonypants posted:

Because their beer is very bad, and they desperately need an IT guy who knows beer in order to make it better

No, I think it is more getting a "free" IT guy, because the crap job will lead them to drinking too much, and, being on site, will probably drink the closest beer available. This means looping the salary back to the company, and, thus "free" IT guy.

Samizdata
May 14, 2007

Zamboni Apocalypse posted:

Heh, our local LAN group just started up throwing LAN parties again, and everyone goddamn forgot network security during the hiatus. Standard procedure (for me, anyway) is to go poking into open shares, looking for :filez: or picture directories. (Not at work, poo poo ain't worth my job yo.)

"Hmmm, TaxReturn2015.PDF."

<goes off to tell dude that's in his share>

"What's in this one? TaxReturn2015.PDF."

<goes off to tell *that* dude it's shared>

"What nex... TaxReturn2013.PDF, TaxReturn2014.PDF, TaxReturn2015.PDF..."

"HEY, EVERYBODY CHECK YOUR loving SHARES!"

<someone comes up to me later>

"Why do you have a picture of Frankenstein punching a velociraptor in your shared files?"

:black101:

And no image link? :mediocre:

Samizdata
May 14, 2007

Zamboni Apocalypse posted:

I was forum'ing while working and didn't have time to GIS and find an unblocked imagehost. :P

Save as: MY WALLPAPER

(Makes me want to get an ancient Econoline or something, and a permanent playlist of Fu Manchu and other stoner rock)

Cheers. Most awesome. Saved and already shared with a buddy in a Telegram session

Samizdata
May 14, 2007

Judge Schnoopy posted:

"The Server" is code for internet speed, application loading times, Outlook performance, keyboard squeeks, etc. Asking which server wouldn't even register as a question to them.

Besides, all the cool users know there are no servers any more, only the cloud.

Samizdata
May 14, 2007

Sickening posted:

We have a new HR vp and she is worried about people being on their phones when they walk around. She instituted a new phone policy discouraging it. I couldn't be bothered with her fake concern when she noticed one of my desktop guys walking around texting on his phone.

That would suck for me, as we are all over a decent size 4 story building, and it would take me longer to track someone down than it does to just text or call them if we need to coordinate something.

Samizdata fucked around with this message at 03:46 on Nov 29, 2016

Samizdata
May 14, 2007

Fil5000 posted:

I have a 17 year old hotmail account. The only reason I still check it is that my dad does not seem to want to use my Gmail address despite me having had that for about seven years.

Because it doesn't autopopulate in his email program, amirite?

Samizdata
May 14, 2007

Bob Morales posted:

A teacher at my high schoool got a bunch of us to sign up for hotmail accounts back in like 1997 when he had a PC in his classroom. Not sure what we were going to send or receive back then.

I think the mailbox limit was like 2 or 3 megabytes in those days. Insane.

Also the HTML was capitalized in HoTMaiL at the time as well.

Which is kind of the point behind why they named it Hotmail, IIRC.

Samizdata
May 14, 2007

22 Eargesplitten posted:

Job applications, sale ads, purchase verifications.

Yeah, I haven't sent anything to people unless I needed to attach something or it was a business thing in a long time.

You use emails to communicate with various family around the U.S. as they all don't really use any sort of IM or social media. Not even all of them have computers (Like me mum, with only an iPhone).

Also, time zones can make calls a pain, coupled with the fact some of us (okay, me) have weird work schedules.

Samizdata fucked around with this message at 08:33 on Dec 4, 2016

Samizdata
May 14, 2007

Polio Vax Scene posted:

Wow, how did I not know about this until now?

Also, the GodMode folder trick still works on 10 too.

Samizdata
May 14, 2007

theperminator posted:

What about the Ads, or the forced updates (their updates are notorious for causing massive issues), uninstalling crap they deem "incompatible", data mining etc.

Not everyone is some mindless sycophant like you.

Well, my Pihole install on one of my Linux machines handles the ads, and if people were better about updating, I suspect there would have been no need for the mandatory updates. At some point, Microsoft has to stop spending time and money support those people that can't run a current OS version. And what's this about autouninstalls? Never had that happen either.

Also, can we avoid the name calling? You sound like one of those Star Citizen Redditors.

Samizdata fucked around with this message at 04:48 on Dec 16, 2016

Samizdata
May 14, 2007

Inspector_666 posted:

SwiftKey....join us.

SwiftKey is amazing. It is unnervingly spooky how good mine is at predicting my word choices. Next thing I know it will be refusing to work without a better tablet.

Samizdata
May 14, 2007

Agrikk posted:

Old hardware...

I use a Sonicwall NSA 4500 in my house to establish VPN tunnels across the globe. It's been a solid performer for me and it has been out of warranty since forever and I don't care, or I thought I didn't care.

Well, today I am trying to add a new tunnel to a new VPC and lo and behold I cannot browse to the device's IP address. The reason? RC4 encryption has been removed from browser support in Firefox, Chrome and IE. But access to my ancient Sonicwall 2040 works just fine. poo poo.

So now I get to scrounge up some old hardware for an XP box or something to point IE at my firewall to make firewall changes. There goes the rest of the afternoon.

Also, gently caress SonicWall. I was given one when a local doctor's office was closed. They insisted on making me provide proof of purchase to do anything with it, but the doctor was unavailable for contact. So it ended up getting thrown away, presumable 100% functional.

Samizdata fucked around with this message at 05:05 on Jan 13, 2017

Samizdata
May 14, 2007

Agrikk posted:

That's actually what I did: I got my XP box working then downloaded and updated the firmware. It's all hunky dory right now, but you are right about starting to move off of this thing. It's certainly over five years old by this point, probably closer to six, and then next time I get hung up on it might be something not easily recoverable. Though I do have an extra Sonicwall 2040 sitting in a box in the garage unused. :gonk:

Also,

Yeah, I had that experience as well. I argued and argued and argued for about a week of calling them to bitch and they finally caved. I basically browbeat them into honoring the support contract it had, but even that contract is now long expired.

I argued for three or four days, then took an old PC I had also been given, installed a spare NIC, threw Smoothwall on it and said "gently caress the Sonicwall."

Samizdata
May 14, 2007

Do Android tablets count? The ASUS tools on my ZenPad are honestly not bad.

Samizdata
May 14, 2007

Tigren posted:

"Joe's mortuary, you kill 'em, we chill 'em"

"Happy Endings Massage Parlor. We won't rub YOU wrong!"

Samizdata
May 14, 2007

Aunt Beth posted:

I generally say "slash" for / and "whack" for \

To get to a CIFS share you browse to "whack whack server whack share"

I am boring. I just say "backslash".

Samizdata
May 14, 2007

ratbert90 posted:

Thanks guys for the awesome responses. I know this is a thread for bitching but sometimes I think the thread could use some happiness.

After we got back to town I let her choose her bedding and we went to a local burger joint to eat. The residence she was at for the last 4 months never cooked burgers, so she inhaled the burger in about 30 seconds (peppered black angus, Swiss, bacon, onions, and a chipotle mayo), came home, took a shower and now my step daughter and her are holed up in their room for the night.

She's also setting up my old note 5 that I used to control the hue lights, although she was a bit upset I demanded that encryption, a pin, and fingerprint was setup on the phone. :v:

Tomorrow is new shoes, and then in the upcoming weeks is dental, vision, braces, and a passport. So much to do!

Rock on! Don't stop!

Samizdata
May 14, 2007

unruly posted:

[screams internally]

I've seen stuff like this. Not as bad as that, but restricted resources being easily available to people who are capable of clicking a couple of buttons on a toolbar.

Yeah, at work they have a major file store available on the guest WiFi. I have yet to tell them as I am not strictly supposed to have access to the guest WiFi. It is sort of an open secret, I guess.

Samizdata
May 14, 2007

unruly posted:

I have a client who was given access to an office building's vending wifi (one used for processing credit card transactions from vending machines, PoS, etc). Yet they would refuse to unblock a URL from their content filter.

:cry:

Right right. Really all I use it for is Telegram messaging and looking stuff up (all good stuff) from my tablet. Well, that and boring crap like personal calendar syncs.

Thanatosian posted:

Isn't the whole point of guest wifi that pretty much anyone can have access...?

Not where I work at least. You need a password. It's not a good one, and they aren't really careful with it (which is how I found it out, while waiting weeks for access.)

Samizdata
May 14, 2007
Upon a bit more shitposting elsewhere, I thought I should clarify. Really, as far as I can tell, the distinction at work is that corporate LAN resources (or so I thought up until seeing the file dump) are unavailable from the guest access.

Samizdata
May 14, 2007

MiniFoo posted:

Today, in no particular order: Quickbooks, TeamViewer, Apple ID.

What's wrong with TV?

Samizdata
May 14, 2007

MiniFoo posted:

Among other things, the ability for users to update the clients to 12.x when we're still only licensed for 11.x, meaning we can't connect to them due to incompatibility between those versions. Yes, I know end-users shouldn't have the capability to update/install anything, but that's a separate piece of poo poo-that-pisses-me-off.

One of our customers has a plethora of iPhones and iPads, and one of my predecessors decided that instead of using Apple MDM, he'd just have everyone sign into each device with the same. loving. Account. As stupid as that sounds, a couple years ago it wasn't a huge problem, but then Apple changed the way iCloud device syncing worked in regards to messages and phone calls and contacts and god DAMNIT it was a shitshow for a while.

Suck. Sorry about that. There should be a settings lockout for that.

Samizdata
May 14, 2007

xzzy posted:

Too much mountain dew and cheetos.

<crunch slurp> What?

Samizdata
May 14, 2007

CHEETOS! Read the RFC already.

Samizdata
May 14, 2007

Bob Morales posted:

They're going to do that to themselves.

They recently had us run some reports to find all the customers buying service parts from us, who we aren't directly contracting to repair our products. And now they are going to remove all their discounts to 'stifle competition'.

If we contract company A out to fix our products, we get 5% of the fee or whatever and they get 50% off parts. So if a customer is contacting a service provider directly (which is perfectly fine), the service provider has to now pay 50% more for parts and pass that along to the customer.

So basically we're loving the customer :haw:

Depending on where you are, you might want to watch for the developments in the Right to Repair cases.

Samizdata
May 14, 2007

Ugato posted:

Boy people are really getting angry at a guy not fixing a problem because he was on PTO

Because I doubt they are either going to pay them double time or refund them their PTO (which stands for Paid Time Off, as you apparently forgot).

Samizdata
May 14, 2007

xzzy posted:

It's getting worse because the younger side of the millennial generation don't even like computers. They do everything on a phone.

Speaking generally anyways. Obviously there's still nerds out there that love digging around inside an ATX case.

Stop doxxing me! MODS!

Samizdata
May 14, 2007

mewse posted:

Seriously, I can buy a terabyte from newegg for 80 bucks

But I bet it isn't a Buffalo! Boy, would YOU feel like a fool...

Samizdata
May 14, 2007

22 Eargesplitten posted:

This is why so many places shut off your access and shove you out the door immediately.

Heh. I had a previous gig with a city agency that tried that with me. But they left the indial to my desktop (zero internet connectivity to the company other than a couple of machines with 56K modems) live and it was still running PCAnywhere with the login credentials I set up.

I never did anything but dial in at weird times to see if it was still up and cackle to myself. Then they bailed on my replacement after three months, but he "had files on the server" he needed. So, out of three server volumes, they ended up with 1.5 or so. Pity that previous rear end in a top hat they fired had set up a brilliant and functional backup protocol...

Samizdata
May 14, 2007

Humbug Scoolbus posted:

I have a $50 Fire and a few minutes with adb and a new launcher install through fastboot and I see no ads or Amazon crap.

PM me a cheat sheet? Last time I tried to hack a Fire, I ended up with one in a bootloop.

Samizdata
May 14, 2007

Super Slash posted:

:shrug:

I was told we'll need to do the CAT B fit-out so we're gonna try and go in on Wednesday to see whats up, that's their problem as I've got my hands full (although I've got contacts to move our infrastructure and lay cable).

Practically everyone has been rattling the cage about this move for months because of the cold silence about it, particularly me because although our ISP can hook us up quick we still need to plan the network layout and not cheap out on the number of network drops like last time (grrr). It's also not just the continuity of business but we have a lot more people now who are rightly concerned about their travel arrangements (It's still in the city center, although I'm concerned about parking if I have to leave my bike on the street).

That's so tragically sad. <wipes tear from eye>

You think they won't cheap out on the drops.

Samizdata
May 14, 2007

Antioch posted:

Our network guys are completely sure that the F5 handling our firewalling can't do DNS resolution. Like at all. Not for love nor money.

I showed them how to do FQDN resolution for nodes and populate pools. I even sent screenshots. Buuuuuuut they replied to my email with "That won't work in our environment".

Really? Because I just did it in our environment on our test box. Soooooo... balls in your court, champ.

I also found a firewall rule that made me laugh.

Source: 0.0.0.0/0
Dest: 52.160.0.0/16
Port:8080

I have no idea.

It's duPont by way of Microsoft, as far as I can see.

:shrug:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Samizdata
May 14, 2007

Dick Trauma posted:

n/m. That was some real e/n bullshit.

EDIT: I was down in the loading dock and saw that someone had made a pile of Dell dock holder/monitor stand combos next to the ewaste bin. I have a lot of Dell laptops here so I dug through and scored an E Port Plus! It was the older USB 2 model but still, nice to have a free spare around. So... a thing not pissing me off.

This is poo poo that pisses you off. You were just avoiding derails.

Stay safe, trauma ghost!