Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dilbert As FUCK
Sep 8, 2007

by Cowcaster
Pillbug
People who can't figure out changing "top priority" or "most important" tickets on me hourly does NOT help me do my work any faster.

"Hey Dilbert, did you fix Z yet?"
"Well you assigned me W, X, Y and said start working on this immediately!!! So I needed to work on those, especially with the CALL CLIENT W ASAP"
"You really need to do Z as a top priority"

:bang:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dilbert As FUCK
Sep 8, 2007

by Cowcaster
Pillbug
I think my area of working pisses me off the most, the area I work in has such a Military attitude(which part of VA doesn't have this?) pisses me off the most.

"No Dilbert BRAND X Software/Hardware works this way and it is the only software deemable for any enterprise environment. I know this because I worked with it in the military/government job."
"But Y does it faster, better, and more effective; Also using this method we cut down 50% of the resources needed"
"Well I won't do that because $personal_reasons$ that I have, besides you are young I have done it this way for X"

I guess I don't get the "I am too proud to say I don't know" or "Maybe you are right let me look into that" something but poo poo come on! :suicide:

Dilbert As FUCK fucked around with this message at 01:46 on Sep 26, 2013

Dilbert As FUCK
Sep 8, 2007

by Cowcaster
Pillbug
:colbert: Dilbert anything but FC is not an enterprise solution.
:v: So why is VAAI Fast provisioning for NFS such an awesome feature for View as well as X/Y/Z. Also most people who we have deployed FC for is because the engineer didn't want research any of the requirements of the customer.
:colbert: That doesn't matter, FC is an enterprise solution and IP based storage is not.
:v: But it saves the design so much cost/deployment/time and complexity, which benefits the clients needs.
:colbert: FC is enterprise protocol anything but FC and your customer will laugh you out; I know some engineer told me one time.
:v: So what about the fact that I can do FCoE on the design as well as other IP based solutions which is more forgiving and easier for the client engineers to understand. Where as to FC I am limiting the client to FC engineers; and limiting their scope of troubleshooting?
:colbert: It's no pure FC

I really double question myself, then I realize everyone I work with is 95% 20/yrs military. Who was programmed to think one way and one way only.

Dilbert As FUCK fucked around with this message at 01:17 on Oct 9, 2013

Dilbert As FUCK
Sep 8, 2007

by Cowcaster
Pillbug

Roargasm posted:

The Linux guy is sinking his talons into the whole department for job security

Even a good linux guy would know how to set up a Centos vm for that....

Dilbert As FUCK
Sep 8, 2007

by Cowcaster
Pillbug
:v: Dilbert I have problems with my view environment
:) OKay what's the problem
:v: Okay well logins take like 2-5 minutes
:) Lemme see your documentation
-assuming they have it-
:v: Well you have A/V scan the whole profile on startup because you hit next a bunch, didn't disable any IPv6 because you don't use it on the lan, also have some failed GPO's you haven't removed for mapped drive/printers that no longer exist.
:supaburn: WOW DILBERT YOU ARE MAGIC

Do people thing Going virtual means you can forget all problems of a infrastructure design or something?

Dilbert As FUCK fucked around with this message at 00:58 on Oct 16, 2013

Dilbert As FUCK
Sep 8, 2007

by Cowcaster
Pillbug

Bob Morales posted:

Today is 'talk about how much Windows 8.1 sucks even though nobody has installed it yet'

:words:

Windows 8.1 killed my first born! :argh:

Dilbert As FUCK
Sep 8, 2007

by Cowcaster
Pillbug

evol262 posted:

Windows 8.1: Start Button

:microsoft:

Is there anything else compelling about 8.1?

Native 3d printing support? :shrug:

Dilbert As FUCK
Sep 8, 2007

by Cowcaster
Pillbug
:)"Dilbert can you teach me unix?"
:v: "yeah okay!"
:( "ughh can we skip to the GUI?!?!? I can't remember all these commands!"

I love the fact I was told in my interview "well we don't have a large unix need..."

However I just helped one of our largest customers solve some poo poo on some +10 year old unix system.

I question myself as to why many people in their 30's just decide to give up learning and try to go with the flow...

Dilbert As FUCK
Sep 8, 2007

by Cowcaster
Pillbug

Daylen Drazzi posted:

Because by then the ability to pick up new skills and knowledge begins to slow down, and time becomes the one precious commodity that there is never enough of due to competing demands.

I'm 41, and I know for a fact that while I know vastly more about computers and technology now than I did 10 years ago, the ability to process new information has slowed down and it takes a lot longer than it did then to assimilate it. Also, learning is an acquired skill, and even a couple years without using it causes it to atrophy to the point of non-existence. That's why you see a lot of people go directly from high school to college to grad school to post-grad school in a short time frame if they're really serious about their education.

No I realize that in every ICM class I work in, but drat guess it is just a mental gap. I guess it just annoys me each one of my coworkers feels the need to try and one up somthingand won't ask for help till the absolute last minute.

Dilbert As FUCK
Sep 8, 2007

by Cowcaster
Pillbug
The S of SMB really ticks me sometimes...

Yay people who have been up +20hours

Dilbert As FUCK
Sep 8, 2007

by Cowcaster
Pillbug

Poor planning for an environment when I completely advised the customer and project engineer against doing a design that would end in disaster. GUESS WHAT HAPPENED???

:ssh: many SMB's don't believe in a thing called RIO, RPO's, TCO, or Business contentuity until after it is too late!

I think I will call out tomorrow I will call out tomorrow because like <12 hours of sleep in the past 2 days, and I think it is starting to Catch Up. But All Good Because I Mean A Jason Langone VCDX tomrrow!

Dilbert As FUCK fucked around with this message at 06:25 on Oct 24, 2013

Dilbert As FUCK
Sep 8, 2007

by Cowcaster
Pillbug

CatsOnTheInternet posted:

That's certainly an interesting approach. XenClient is as close as it comes to total client-side virtualization (imho) as it's basically a type 1 hypervisor that pulls a 'desktop VM' for the client device from a central store, caches it, and runs it locally as the user's OS.

Still, neither it nor VM Player hugs the bare metal close enough. First time an end-user wants to use Sketchup or play a 720p video in their VM, kaboom. (Unless you picked one of like, 12 laptop models that support GPU offload.)

Why not give them a BLAST URL and be done with it? Horizion 5.2/5.3 really made this loving good so long as you look at your GPO's and understand network traffic flow. Hell I believe Win7 is now MMR capable.

I fully support BYOD after View 5.2 BLAST u1. Got an HTML5 browser? Go for it! Want a VIOP gate way? "Make sure you system is compatible at your desk with RJ45 or 802.11/n/ however to answer your phone you need to be at your desk"

Not to mention View 5.2 supports Nvidia GPU's and 5.3 supports AMD/Intel/Nvidia

Dilbert As FUCK fucked around with this message at 06:38 on Oct 24, 2013

Dilbert As FUCK
Sep 8, 2007

by Cowcaster
Pillbug
So glad after 3 days of +12 hour days and saying DO NOT OPEN ATTACHEMENTS UNLESS EXPECTED. The client is hit again with cryptolocker....

gently caress!

Dilbert As FUCK
Sep 8, 2007

by Cowcaster
Pillbug

EAT THE EGGS RICOLA posted:

Did you have that software restriction policy set in GP?

(out of curiosity about whether or not it works)

:colbert: We want BYOD + full data retention!
:v: ahh virtual desktops provide all that functionality then some!
:colbert: That is 1k more than the cheap out solution!

GUESS WHAT WAS MORE EXPESIVE, from an RTO/RIO?

Dilbert As FUCK
Sep 8, 2007

by Cowcaster
Pillbug
double post

Dilbert As FUCK
Sep 8, 2007

by Cowcaster
Pillbug

Caged posted:

What I got from his post was that they have a bunch of BYOD laptops that aren't on the domain and hence don't have the software restriction policies applied. Just someone's personal laptop connecting to a share that they have permissions for and then those files getting wiped out by Cryptolocker. Forcing those BYOD laptops to RDP into a virtual desktop which is locked down and not allowing the network they are on to access the file shares would have gone a long way to helping prevent the issues.

I guess we'll find out soon enough.

Pretty much this

Dilbert As FUCK
Sep 8, 2007

by Cowcaster
Pillbug

evol262 posted:

Ouch. VDI's a win, then. Why do they allow BYOD without forcing them into enterprise compliance?

Because it would cost money, and inconvenience some special flowers. :shrug:

Caged posted:

Because someone read that BYOD means people can use poo poo laptops that are cheap and then stopped reading.

The cloud protects us from basic security policies. I know because :cloud:

Dilbert As FUCK fucked around with this message at 20:30 on Oct 27, 2013

Dilbert As FUCK
Sep 8, 2007

by Cowcaster
Pillbug

Bob Morales posted:

A job-hop could cost you $1,500 in retirement savings if:

You make $50,000 a year
You are putting in say 8% and employer matches 4%
You don't start your new 401k until you're in for 3 months

Job hop 3-4 times and that can add up.

Of course you could fix that buy just chucking the $ in an IRA but it wouldn't be pre-tax or have an employer contribution (free money)

Yeah but a busted liver costs more.

QPZIL posted:

He's not just Dilbert, he's Dilbert as gently caress.

drat straight

Dilbert As FUCK fucked around with this message at 18:58 on Oct 29, 2013

Dilbert As FUCK
Sep 8, 2007

by Cowcaster
Pillbug
Well after 7 fine months;

"Well Dilbert, don't think we have a foreseeable Network/Vmware/storage centered position opening up in the next 12 months. We would like to move you more into a $Jack-of-all-trades position$+ some Desktop support, with you are go to guy of vmware/network/storage"

Yeah no gently caress SMB, and no I don't mean SMB as how cisco/emc/vmware mean it I mean the sub ~30 user company that makes up a large portion of where they want to move me to.

My goal is to, learn more so than I do now in Vmware/net/storage, cert up, and be living in NC Charolette/Raleigh/RTP in 2 years. (OR's cost of living don't compare to NC's).

Don't get me wrong, I don't mind doing the Stuff outside vmware/network/storage, and I do well at it; but my passion is with Virtualization/net/storage; not with "My legacy SBS 2003 server sucks fix it" or "well can you just code or script the app from these legacy Redhat servers?"

Hell I love semi-modern *nix servers, and working with most OS's or server's after 2008. Jobs good but hell, I really though when I signed on after 6 months my focus was vmware/net/storage which was really the whole point of my signing this company. Ahh well.

Dilbert As FUCK fucked around with this message at 00:50 on Oct 30, 2013

Dilbert As FUCK
Sep 8, 2007

by Cowcaster
Pillbug

nitrogen posted:

^^^^
INCOMING PM

Okay I am not going to go all "breakdowncentral" don't worry I feel a bunch more composure now, I think most goons who live in my area(like 3 IT goons) will back me up when I say hampton roads is like a twilight zone of jobs.

After my weekend in NC's I had no idea you could actually get a 3br/2bath house near a populous city for under 100k; what twisted world have I lived in my first 22 years on this earth?

Oh just saw your PM well point still stands

Dilbert As FUCK fucked around with this message at 01:38 on Oct 30, 2013

Dilbert As FUCK
Sep 8, 2007

by Cowcaster
Pillbug

Sickening posted:

They want to get 2 employees in one and they believe they can get it. It seems they are right.

I mean I like to learn a lot about 'expanding my horizons'. However, my focus is virtualization/network/storage I explained this pre-day-one; ahh well live and learn sometimes.

But yeah gently caress SMB; forget the right way and learn therightway

Example: Went onsite to one of our larger customers to assist an engineer who never did a VMware/Storage deployment.
"So uhh what raid level should I put this $storage$ in"
I asked wasn't this done during the spec out for the storage(which I offered to help in), and got a "well ain't no time for that". Granted I knew the environment from some support of servers but still...
Followed by "how can a VAR do under MSRP from HP?"

:supaburn: AHHHHHHHHHHHH

Dilbert As FUCK fucked around with this message at 03:49 on Oct 30, 2013

Dilbert As FUCK
Sep 8, 2007

by Cowcaster
Pillbug
I love my job; I work at one of those "we don't pay OT but we do flex hours once you reach 40".

Today: Reach 40 hour mark around 3pm, lo and behold call comes in from %small_customer_on_managed_IT_team%
:v: -well poo poo I am at 40hrs but hell I'll take the call anyway, they want to do $project$ which will save us a bunch of poo poo long term-
:v: hey client
-commence 30 min phone call-
(supervisor):mad: Hey dilbert why are you still on the phone, I want you to not waste time with $customer$. "You missed a call I could have picked up on but didn't."
:v: Well they are customer and think I should hear them out on concerns
:mad: No dilbert you need to manage the call and make a 30 min limit, they are a waste of time. I want you out of here ASAP as you are over 40hrs!
:v: but they pay monthly for managed IT??? Can they not ask some time?
:mad: I think you should hang up and send them an email on you need it all in email. (I don't want to take call that came in that I could read your notes and help out on)
:v: Well sure I can but-
:mad: dilbert hang up after 30 seconds, if they don't tell you the exact issue

How many place bets on "customer was pissed"

Gotta love MSP's! Close 3x the tickets of the techs around me but "Dilbert can you work harder?(I want to pass my calls to you)". Yeah no, I am going to call you out on that "performance review you do on me" BULLSHIT no other tech gets asked during lunch to fix "$high_priority_issue$" and then gets bitched at for not taking lunch. Maybe I was in the wrong, but no taking the call would have delayed the already delayed project moreso.

Dilbert As FUCK fucked around with this message at 04:32 on Nov 2, 2013

Dilbert As FUCK
Sep 8, 2007

by Cowcaster
Pillbug

Che Delilas posted:

CF, I hope you throw this incident back in your supervisor's face when he comes to reprimand you about customer complaints about you. I'm not polite when someone vomits their flagrant hypocrisy all over me.

Yeah no, totally am. We have been trying to push this client to go with an upgrade project for well over a year. This is like the first time they have been saying okay to the quotes being pushed to them.

Dilbert As FUCK
Sep 8, 2007

by Cowcaster
Pillbug
Gah, gently caress office 365 biggest load of poo poo ever. Or maybe it's because none of the engineers I said "hey let's do X" have this thing where they can't say "No" to a client. JUST BECAUSE YOU CAN doesn't mean you should.

I love getting +2 days of work tied up explaining how the backend of O365 and other projects to the same engineers who implemented said project.

I love explaining to my lead Vmware engineer the basis of how vShield works!

Dilbert As FUCK fucked around with this message at 03:12 on Nov 6, 2013

Dilbert As FUCK
Sep 8, 2007

by Cowcaster
Pillbug
What is it with people and not wanting to ask for help? Seriously, I'm not going to think less of you because you ask me to help out. It's a poo poo load better than being "hey uhh dilbert, I dug myself into a hole. Can you get me out of my hole and then help me complete $task$, oh and the deadline is in 4 hours..."

Dilbert As FUCK
Sep 8, 2007

by Cowcaster
Pillbug
HOLY loving poo poo.

I am going to scream.

Why the gently caress would you refuse my help AGAIN on a Vmware migration, that I have had to 1) Dig SQL data and have manually exported into CSV's for manual repunched into mission critical app
2) Ask me DURING the ICM class I help teach to help you with what could have been a botched DC P2V (FSMO transfers are for NEEEERRRDS)
3) Save your rear end during 2 botched 2003 V2V's of some Citrix metaframe servers
4) Now leaving a customer down for 14+ hours of email refusing my help infront of others and having to repair a half broken Exchange 2010 P2V because gently caress migrating the Exchange DB's n poo poo and I'm not even the primary exchange guy and I know you can pretty much do a 2010 with minimal to no downtime
5) Ask me "so what raid levels to I spec out for this NAS I bought"
6) way loving more
I appreciate the "well I was working on it at like 630 when is when I messaged you for help, I had to go pick something up ~150 miles away during mega overhaul project for these guys". Can you let me know when it's up.

:supaburn:

I can not wait to go into work monday...

Dilbert As FUCK fucked around with this message at 17:12 on Nov 9, 2013

Dilbert As FUCK
Sep 8, 2007

by Cowcaster
Pillbug
So because I didn't tell the engineer who I helped save his project "what raid levels" should be deployed in his array he bought without finding out what the environment needs. He loaded the thing up with 600GB SAS decided since I asked "weel what metrics did you gather in your planning with X" and a response of "I didn't do that man 15k is fast just lemme know what raid level is best for Y/Z!'

So he decides raid One raid 1, 1 4disk RAID 5, 8disk RAID 0+1 for the whole raid is best because 'it's somewhat more that the customer had with the old array'.... He comes back to me "poo poo man my raid 0+1 is complaining about low storage! can you fix this?"

It's awesome because I discussed the requirements for their environment before hand with him and got a "yeah yeah well 15k = way to go" Apparently teir'ing storage is for nerds and "don't have time for that man".

No, asking me what raid levels to deploy for customer WHILE I am helping you rack and boot the HP MSA is NOT how you do a successful deployment

Dilbert As FUCK fucked around with this message at 06:02 on Nov 13, 2013

Dilbert As FUCK
Sep 8, 2007

by Cowcaster
Pillbug
gently caress How does a VCAP-DCA and VCAP-DCD instruct you on "do it this way" and you STILL gently caress it up??? YAY AM phone calls!

Dilbert As FUCK
Sep 8, 2007

by Cowcaster
Pillbug
It never ceases to amaze me how many people still leave there cisco routers with cisco/cisco logins.

Better yet the fact telnet is enabled facing publicly.

Security is for nerds

Dilbert As FUCK
Sep 8, 2007

by Cowcaster
Pillbug
I love it, my manager who assigned me to do an SAP upgrade about 3 weeks ago came back to me today to tell me "Dilbert I wasn't telling you do it, I just thought you would want to do it."

I specifically took the day off prior too the date requested off just so I didn't get dragged into something. Lowe and behold I am now informed that it is assumed I want to work on my days I request off.

Dilbert As FUCK
Sep 8, 2007

by Cowcaster
Pillbug

SEKCobra posted:

Im not in korea and I wouldnt have to pay anything back, but I wouldnt get any of my certs that they are paying for/organizing. Its a metric shitton which is the only reason I keep up with this poo poo. Also I still like my job when I get to actually do it anymore these days.

Out of curiosity what certs are they?

Dilbert As FUCK
Sep 8, 2007

by Cowcaster
Pillbug

MW posted:

I'm guessing that from your perspective, everyone's out to get you and destroy your life

Uhh, what? I really don't feel that way at all.

Dilbert As FUCK
Sep 8, 2007

by Cowcaster
Pillbug
Yes but even with the cost windows is still much more efficient and easier to let others maintain.

Dilbert As FUCK
Sep 8, 2007

by Cowcaster
Pillbug

Sirotan posted:

Apparently floppy disk drives are making a bit of a comeback, among...musicians??

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Xk_XaJ7gE4Q

yeah they are pretty cool

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2lq34Ob7Gsg

I like the one under my avatar but Daft Punk and Floppy music are made for eachother.

Dilbert As FUCK
Sep 8, 2007

by Cowcaster
Pillbug

ookiimarukochan posted:

In our experience, at least, SSDs are far far less tolerant of being dropped/knocked than normal hard drives, so there's that small joy to look forward to at least.

Are you using OCZ drives or something?

Dilbert As FUCK
Sep 8, 2007

by Cowcaster
Pillbug
Damnit I am probably going to have to move before I get a new job. This would not annoyme as much if I didn't teach... Oh well.

Hope I don't wind up in Richmond, Charlotte fingers crossed!

Gotta get some paperwork at Richmond on the 28th, any goon up for a meetup?

Dilbert As FUCK fucked around with this message at 10:15 on Dec 23, 2013

Dilbert As FUCK
Sep 8, 2007

by Cowcaster
Pillbug

spog posted:

/Breaks out piezo-electric gas stove lighter, aka my handy spark generator, aka 'it just stopped working'

blame the hardware, always blame a mechanical fault

Dilbert As FUCK
Sep 8, 2007

by Cowcaster
Pillbug
I love when job postings say "please include the salary of your last three jobs" as proof of employment.

Ah good can't wait to see how little over my last job you can pay me to work for you.

Dilbert As FUCK
Sep 8, 2007

by Cowcaster
Pillbug

Erwin posted:

Don't apply to that dumb job then. That's not proof of employment, they just want to get a sweet deal on a chump.

I'm not but holy poo poo does it rub me wrong.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dilbert As FUCK
Sep 8, 2007

by Cowcaster
Pillbug

Lum posted:

I thought the response to salary questions was "It's covered by NDA".

Yeah that would probably work