Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

GreenBuckanneer
Sep 15, 2007

Ursine Asylum posted:

I feel like Tier 2 is where bad IT goes to die at most companies. Tier 1 is either bright-eyed bushy tailed PFYs who go above and beyond until they realize they're getting horribly underpaid for their job description and bail; Tier 3 is where those PFYs end up in 5 years (although usually coming in from other companies, because god forbid you pay someone more to do what they're already unofficially doing from inside the company). Tier 2 are the Tier 1s who sort of realized they're really not cut out for IT, but didn't want to bother finding another career path and landed in T2 on seniority alone.

I'm at T2, (like a legit t2, not this "t1 is actually a CS switchboard) and I don't quite feel that way. I have the capability probably to go beyond t3 but honestly, I just want the tools T3 has but not have to take phone calls anymore.

Customers make my brain hurt almost as much as people who escalate poo poo to me. At least there's accountability where I work tho.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GreenBuckanneer
Sep 15, 2007

Closing shift, finishing up a call that was pushed to me post-close. TM signs me out of Inin, and when I ask about it, he says I was in followup for 50 minutes. I say it's bullshit because I was looking at my status like a hawk because it was close to closing, I wouldn't have misread my status for half an hour that I had between calls.

Pulls up the info for me for that day, shows I was in followup for 5 minutes (which makes more sense as I noticed I was kicked out about 5 minutes after the call ended) and he misread it.

I'll thank you to not touch my poo poo and let me manage myself, thank you very much.

GreenBuckanneer
Sep 15, 2007

ConfusedUs posted:

Have a customer who doesn't meet a core requirement to use our software. We point this out and ask him to configure it.

He claims this is impossible. The requirement cannot be met by anyone ever.

(We have hundreds of customers who meet it. )

Customer won't let it drop. Goes through support from bottom to top. Gets to product management. Gets to VP level.

Finally gets shut down.

Then posts on technet about it claiming it's possible and we are idiots. Guy then posts a reply under a different email (same domain) agreeing with himself.

Convinced a VP at our place this is legit and now we are pulling engineering resources to handle it

What the gently caress

It's times like these where I wish we could just fire these customers.

GreenBuckanneer
Sep 15, 2007

MiniFoo posted:

loving, OS X, users,

That number under "Skips" is just going to keep rising, since there's 8.5 TB to go through. All of them so far are due to leading/trailing spaces and illegal characters in filenames and folders. This data is going from a ReadyNAS 716 to Egnyte's cloud servers, but I used rsync to copy the client's original data from their current Synology to the ReadyNAS (which worked flawlessly). I didn't consider a problem like this until I got here, though.

Once this initial sync is complete, I need to fix the skipped items and force another sync again. I have SSH and root access to the ReadyNAS - is it possible to run some scripts on it directly to try cleaning this up, or should I mount the shares in Linux/OS X and run them that way? I've been referencing some sample scripts online, but I feel like I don't know what I'm doing. The client is still using the Synology, so I can't just edit the original data right now (we plan on doing a differential rsync from Synology --> ReadyNAS right before transitioning the employees over to Egnyte). Any tips?

I had a user trying to use this on a netgear nas, while our server software was complaining about lack of permissions. I've never seen this poo poo before, and he was like "well....what's the problem?"

The problem here is you're using something I've never seen anyone use with our software in almost 3 years (first time seeing it), and it's yelling about permissions, and it sounds like a SSO thing. Maybe you should add the user we need to the egnyte permissions for the folder's you're wanting to back up to the nas?? especially if egnyte is taking over permissions on the box..? idfk how this poo poo of yours works

"nah, I don't want to do that, egnyte is being removed and their CS sucks"

GreenBuckanneer
Sep 15, 2007

MiniFoo posted:

Hey, client. You have four more terabytes of data to upload in this initial sync to Egnyte. The sync will be done in 18 days. I know this because I know how fast your upload speed is, and it cannot go faster. Meaning that the sync won't complete any faster, either.

Yes, I know you've already been waiting three weeks. That was the first four and a half terabytes, out of eight and a half. Do you know how much a terabyte is? A thousand gigabytes, or a million megabytes. It's loving huge. It's going to take a long time, so shut your goddamn trap.

Four and a half terabytes in 3 weeks is amazing though

GreenBuckanneer
Sep 15, 2007

"so uh, you spend a lot of time looking at Jiras huh..."

Because I'm underutilized and bored, duh

Instead: "uhm.... I like knowing how things work..."

"I have to read that stuff and I don't even understand things by reading it"

I wish I wasn't doing this job answering rote questions for idiots who know just enough to be dangerous, or the loving retards who think they know more than me yet are calling me for help. I wish I was getting my hands dirtier and working with the software itself.

That being said, programming just makes me mad. Can't there be a position for QAing software or giving feedback on the UI design that doesn't require some bullshit like a psych degree? (which btw, why do you need that, when it's common sense how and what users will expect or want?)

I don't have those degrees and I'm pretty confident I could spend a few hours designing a better UI that these chucklefucks come up with. Instead you have one team designing a thing they think users want, while the programmers design something they think the users won't gently caress up, and the management approves based on their minimal interactions with the customer base, gently caress the guys in the trenches and what they think. Oh, and make sure it takes 6 months for it to come out, and when it does, you drop half the things you wanted in the first place because it would take too much money to implement.

/rant

GreenBuckanneer fucked around with this message at 06:31 on Oct 29, 2016

GreenBuckanneer
Sep 15, 2007

Ours is PTO=Sick+Vacation. If you're absent for 2 days in a row without calling, you're shitcanned. If you're absent (called out)/tardy more than 3 times in 3 months? they reserve the right to shitcan you. Also every time you call out, they remove x hours from your PTO balance to cover it so you hit at least 40h that week. But, we're a call center. We don't have "sick days". It's the same thing. You can potentially get a doctor's note so they think less of firing you, but...

GreenBuckanneer
Sep 15, 2007

Malachite_Dragon posted:

So basically my habit of sticking with the last known non-lovely version of Windows at home (using 7 still) until i literally have no choice but to upgrade has proven wise once again, is my takeaway here

Or do like me, install windows 10 but then use GPO to force updates to not run ever.

I'll run updates a month after SP1 or whatever.

GreenBuckanneer
Sep 15, 2007

Agrikk posted:

Does carbonite have versioning?

Mom has carbonite running. As the ransomware swept through her machine, wouldn't carbonite see that files had been modified and start uploading them, potentially overwriting good versions with encrypted ones?

You're going to want to freeze the backup, uninstall the software, clean the computer of the ransomware, then call support. Ideally if you can identify what kind of ransomware she got that will help too.

GreenBuckanneer
Sep 15, 2007

stevewm posted:

Ha!

Yes, 8.6 years.

This is a 2008 non-R2 DC/file server at our corp office. I've still not been allowed to replace it :(

This drive is still going strong...

GreenBuckanneer
Sep 15, 2007

ConfusedUs posted:

I've had to drop the speed of light argument many times.

"No, it is literally impossible to get a signal from Berlin to San Fransisco in 5ms. I don't say so, physics says so. We can't argue with the speed of light."

This conversation actually comes up a lot where I work.

GreenBuckanneer
Sep 15, 2007

Trigger Warning: Mackeeper :froggonk:

GreenBuckanneer
Sep 15, 2007

Bob Morales posted:

Suck a fat dick, ACT!/Sage

11 < 7? Ooookay

I've seen some computers (win 10) trigger that when there is something wrong with IE. Depends on the software tho. (thinking you're using the wrong version of IE)

GreenBuckanneer
Sep 15, 2007

PremiumSupport posted:

To be fair I can totally see a customer reading those emails as "I have scheduled the work for Tuesday at X time and will do it then unless I hear from you"

I've seen this so many times.

Also our current go to is "it's been up for 16 days? wtf reboot the gently caress out of that" (except servers because that's server/network's problem not helpdesk)

Also "preparing to apply updates" has been running for 20+ minutes without progressing? reboot that sucker!

Granted, it did end up progressing after that, but that shouldn't have been the thing that allowed it to make progress.

GreenBuckanneer fucked around with this message at 04:31 on Aug 24, 2018

GreenBuckanneer
Sep 15, 2007

I suppose it's just an annoyance but our computers are getting slowly upgraded to Windows 10 from Windows 7.

As part of that process, we have a team that builds the computers, installs the software, and hands it to another team that physically delivers it. Because we're the help desk, and the techs aren't (think escalations) we take the inbound phone calls and the techs do the outbound phone calls (though you can call their direct extension if the customer knows it, which is its own kind of terrible. This is "internal" customers. The techs will look into server issues, windows issues that aren't easily resolved by a google search, get engineering involved or the database teams involved if it concerns a homegrown app, etc. Helpdesk does really basic snooze worthy stuff, password resets, basic how-to questions of how to use windows, how to encrypt emails, switchboardy stuff. Very small crew, most of the calls are early morning but high volume (300+ calls on a monday)

On a busy day (such as monday morning) we're doing back to back calls. We unfortunately don't have any ACW setting unless we busy out, which means it goes to voicemail, and then you're trying to play catch up and hope people just hear a busy signal and give up, but that still counts as abandoned calls.

So anyways, as the helpdesk, we're getting new windows machines, but it's like pulling teeth getting them to deliver it, and when they do deliver it to us, they go "oh you're smart, you can finish the software install yourself". Granted, yes, we have the technical acumen to hook the computer up to the desk (they just install the image and some base drivers and stuff) and then install all the other programs we need, but you know, how about those phone calls? "oh you can just do it in between calls"

Like, you realize that means it'll be a week or next friday before I'll have this thing done, because I'm not coming in early or staying late to configure this poo poo just because you want to go "I delivered it, my work here is done" all Peter Griffin style. They have access to the same install folders we do, but they do the software installs. Our helpdesk might do a software install or two that takes a minute or so to complete, but some of them have licenses that only they have access to, or that we weren't told how to do, that That One Guy There Who Usually Fixes It knows how to do, but he hasn't wrote it down because he doesn't like to make documentation. Also our workforce is very small, so taking one guy out of production to do a 30+ minute software install when we're already doing like 30 tickets a person in 2 hours is rear end.

I guess, at the end of the day, especially now that everyone else has just kind of "done it anyways" that that's enough precedent for us to do it, while shoving it under the guise of "other duties as assigned", but I resent having to stop what I'm doing that I got hired on to do, to do a task that is primarily your job because you're busy and you want to constantly hot potato a responsibility off on someone else.

/rant

GreenBuckanneer fucked around with this message at 04:18 on Jul 21, 2019

GreenBuckanneer
Sep 15, 2007

Our phone switch was bought 20-30 years ago, and doesn't support VOIP.

Incidentally, that means we can't do WFH either, because of obvious reasons.

Guess what happens if one of us gets sick due to this? I guess you don't want any inbound phone calls being answered.

Nevermind that, I've been frequently told we can't upgrade the switch because it was expensive when they bought it and there is at least 10 more good years in it.

GreenBuckanneer
Sep 15, 2007

J posted:

A whole lotta people mysteriously emailing at 4:30pm to say the VPN doesn't work. It doesn't work because it is at max capacity and you're only just now trying to connect? :thunk:

We only have 450 licenses at the moment.

We have over 2000 computer users.

Yuep. No problem :waycool:

GreenBuckanneer
Sep 15, 2007

"Can you unlock my account in B1?"

"Does it say X or Y?"

"it says X"

"OK, I can unlock your account in A1"

Context: Users constantly call the second system they log into the first thing they log into, or vice versa.

It makes things confusing because they have totally different passwords, but similar login names. They have their own lockout mechanisms.

Add onto this these logins (not AD) can be used for tons of other things, each with their own acronyms. Sometimes, they use a totally different name for the thing that makes sense to their department but doesn't get listed anywhere on the thing they're trying to get into. Bonus points if the thing they call in about is for something rarely used, and almost never called in about, and each of these apps has, usually, a separate PoC (which isn't advertised except in a living excel spreadsheet from 1995) who handles it when something basic can't be managed. :smithicide:

GreenBuckanneer fucked around with this message at 19:49 on Mar 18, 2020

GreenBuckanneer
Sep 15, 2007

"There is an address bar in file explorer?"

GreenBuckanneer
Sep 15, 2007

We use Adobe Connect for internal meetings :cripes:

GreenBuckanneer
Sep 15, 2007

22 Eargesplitten posted:

I checked in with the other guy on my team a year after I left and asked if they had managed to unfuck it yet. They had not.

Why at any point did they not set people aside and be like "yokay, idc what you're doing, you're fixing this now" :psyduck:

poo poo that pisses me off:

Engineering/Networks changing things and just expecting everyone to adopt it, but meaningfully not telling everyone who it's affecting and, IDK, I guess just expect HD to let the users know.

Except you know, the users find out before us.

They put out messages in custom apps to say "any problems just contact HD"

No emails. No chat messages, no heads up whatsoever. We bitch to them and their managers, get some half-assed apology, and it just keeps happening. Users (internal users) complain to HD, HD shakes their head and agrees because no one's wanting to take responsibility. The only thing that even gets pre-notice is patches on the server when they have to reboot things, and then everyone suddenly pays attention because god forbid something breaks and everything comes to a grounding halt, except, it's never the higher ups who get in trouble, and all of that "Fix-it-once-it's-broken" stress gets thrown onto HD who frantically is fielding calls and also trying to alert the people who should be (more) aware when stuff like this happens.

Oh, and our team lead is doing VIP calls, instead of you know, having a dedicated IT team for the VIPs.

GreenBuckanneer
Sep 15, 2007

:) [email] Here are instructions on how to VPN in!

:( [email response] Hey I went to launch the VPN and I don't know what to do!

The question could have been answered by reading step 2 of the instructions

:thunkgun:

GreenBuckanneer
Sep 15, 2007

Yeah that's downright pleasant

GreenBuckanneer
Sep 15, 2007

klosterdev posted:

Honestly, "it's working right now" is arguably much, much worse

We don't do a root cause analysis unless it's a major outage.

GreenBuckanneer
Sep 15, 2007

READ.
THE.
loving.
TICKET.

Does no one read tickets anymore? Do they just see the summary in JIRA, read the first word, and go "I GOT THIS" *slams close ticket button*

GreenBuckanneer
Sep 15, 2007

Because of understaffing and having to work from home, we've been putting in overtime to bridge the gap (and even that isn't quite enough because there are still times it's evident we need at least another warm body, preferably two)

So, at 10am on a thursday they're like NO MORE OT, EFFECTIVE IMMEDIATELY. "don't like it? stop OT or you can loose a whole person"

Guess who worked 6 hours today and four hours tomorrow! Our other guy was already at 41 hours because of having to do 24/7 VIP calls.

GreenBuckanneer
Sep 15, 2007

Sickening posted:

You don't understand, only profit, no expenses. You asking for compensation means someone wealthy doesn't get more.

GreenBuckanneer
Sep 15, 2007

Yeah I got white LED lights in my case with a window and a white rgb keyboard to match my white/black desk and my white/black nzxt case :smug:

GreenBuckanneer
Sep 15, 2007

"not enough notes on ticket"
But I gave it to you because it was evident what the resolution was, it's hardware replacement, nothing I can do about it. I'll call the user back and get more info, sorry
"no need, I already called the user back and it's just hardware replacement, we'll let him know"

how about you gently caress off and go home, thanks

GreenBuckanneer
Sep 15, 2007

Getting people to wear masks indoors seems like a lost cause, especially at work.

I'm lucky enough I've been able to strongarm my job to work from home but the old people loving hated it, and when we do go in we're allowed to take our masks off if we sit at our desks and put them on if we have to move around (but our team is barely 6 feet from each other, which is why we got to go home) which just seems....not useful

not to mention seeing close family or otherwise.

GreenBuckanneer
Sep 15, 2007

Internet Explorer posted:

It's really not. "If you're in the office, you wear a mask" is a very straight-forward ask and something that is easy to enforce.

What do you mean by "seeing close family or otherwise?" What does that have to do with it?

No one wants to enforce it.

No one wants to do this with customers either in retail (as an example, I'm not in retail), especially when those customers who are throwing a hissy fit are not cops and can't just like, paddywhack these idiots without being sued for assault or whatever.

So far my government location says you have to wear a mask if you're out and about but wont force you to wear it at your desk.

As for close family, anecdotally no one I know wears their masks while seeing their parents or whatever.

to be clear, I wear my mask whenever possible outside of my own home and believe in masks.

GreenBuckanneer fucked around with this message at 21:43 on Nov 13, 2020

GreenBuckanneer
Sep 15, 2007

I have 94 hours of sick time and I'm waiting for us to get more staff before I use it

GreenBuckanneer
Sep 15, 2007

You're lucky enough that your sick days are a separate resource

GreenBuckanneer
Sep 15, 2007

Mine is "unlimited" as well, but it's "really" two weeks or so, but a few days here and there extra is whatever, the boss just says yes or no to it.

GreenBuckanneer
Sep 15, 2007

Thanks Ants posted:

We've been in this permanent WFH situation for eight months now, if a company hasn't got their poo poo together and at least deployed always-on VPN to keep AD-bound devices managed, or even just turned off password expiry then what the gently caress have people been focusing on instead?

Our VPN times out after 12 hours.

We use MFA to have as the only means of signing on (unless you're lucky to get a company iphone and use a one time code).

These 60 year old guys sometimesOften forget to change their pw in time, which because they use the MFA, it will tell them on sign in their AD pw expired and dump them back into the CTRL+ALT+DEL lock screen.

They either have to bother someone else who's signed in to change their pw on their neighbor's system, or we have to re-enable the disabled windows login option, effectively highjacking their account.

They don't want to change how this works.

Oh, and if they update their pw or update their MFA cert while on VPN, and don't lock the screen and log back in, it pooches their saved credentials and they have to drive into work and physically connect to the network to fix it.

GreenBuckanneer
Sep 15, 2007

Devor posted:

Oh you sweet summer child, not in America, unless your state has stronger protections than the Federal Fair Labor Standards Act

https://www.dol.gov/general/topic/workhours/holidays

Not being paid for federal holidays is horseshit.

GreenBuckanneer
Sep 15, 2007

Why the gently caress do we have old people using iPhone XRs that heavily uses gestures?

Old people don't understand mobile phone gestures.

They get confused when you say desktop when they have a laptop.

GreenBuckanneer
Sep 15, 2007

Bob Morales posted:

aaand now he's un-registering his copy of SnagIt and sending me the key so I can install it for tomorrow.

I really loving hate that snagit was a thing for these users.

You have snipping tool on all these machines! SnagIt requires a purchase of a new license, it's not just like we can run a keygen and install whatever.

"oh but this saves the image straight into an image file!"

Who cares? you're going to shove the loving thing into a word document, print it out, scan it so you get it as a PDF, and then email it to whoever you meant to get it to anyways.

(this actually happened at my last job when asking the user for their verifiers.)

GreenBuckanneer
Sep 15, 2007

klosterdev posted:

Pissing me off: It took a week to get the Cisco Ironport tech to agree to collaborate with a Microsoft 365 tech. It took another week to get the Microsoft 365 tech to agree to collaborate with the Cisco Ironport tech. Now I'm learning can't hold a remote meeting together to view the same problem because the Cisco tech is only allowed to use WebEx and the Microsoft 365 tech is only allowed to use Teams.

Jesus loving Christ I just want to know why whenever we send a Cisco secure email to a mix of internal and external users, sometimes but not always the attachment shows up in the secure email as winmail.dat getting them to work together shouldn't take weeks of pushing and software barriers

Lol we deal with this all the time with company data except it's still Adobe Flash whitelisted version of Adobe Connect

The Fool posted:

Thing pissing me off: people who are a part of an obviously broken system and actively fight against fixing it

That would require someone admits there is a problem, and if there's a problem, someone's getting the axe, so it becomes this:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GreenBuckanneer
Sep 15, 2007

tactlessbastard posted:

I have an assigned task in Workday to complete a how to use workday tutorial that is a broken link and I get an email every week that I have overdue tasks in Workday email

Hi, I also have been using Workday for years and can confirm this is normal behavior

Working as intended, and by intended I mean, it intends on being a barely functional piece of poo poo, like an alcoholic that starts drinking 2 hours before the end of his shift