Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

Lord Dudeguy posted:

Welp, gotta reboot the Dark Lord of Mordor again.

Doesn't even have any goddamned devices to manage. This poo poo hits 100% CPU for no good damned reason and makes vSphere go "Uh, excuse me? poo poo's hosed. Fix it or punt it."

But it's ~*award-winning print management software*~, so it's gotta be good, right? :v:

(Literally everything related to all printers everywhere is hosed up and aneurism-inducing)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

Sirotan posted:

I had honestly been looking at this: http://www.thehumansolution.com/uplift-900-electric-sit-stand-desk-black.html and thinking "holy poo poo, $800 is a ton of money" before I looked up the cost of the 98%-of-the-time-unused standing desk that already is in our office.

I've been here almost 5 years, I figured even if they had to buy me one outright, $800 shouldn't be a ridiculous cost to keep me happy. lol it's me, I'm the moron

A sit/stand desk with electric raise/lower function is less than $500 at Ikea:

http://www.ikea.com/us/en/catalog/products/S19022530/

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

This is the current wifi situation in my apartment:

Why, oh why did the shittastic 802.11b/g standard win over 802.11a? lovely overlapping channels and massive sensitivity to interference is no way to build a reliable network.

Luckily I discovered that almost all of my devices support 5GHz 802.11a/n, and it just so happens that I scored a couple of 5GHz-only APs from work a while back. I went from getting maybe ~3Mbit/s to actually being able to saturate my 20Mbit DSL over wifi. Right now I'm sharing the 5GHz band with only 3 other SSIDs, so for the time being there's plenty of breathing room.

No, unfortunately there are no babes on the Babezone SSID. I checked.

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

Thanks Ants posted:

The new 802.11ac standard will happily poo poo all over 5GHz, so enjoy it while it lasts.

This requires people to upgrade their routers, and only :spergin: nerds like us do that sort of thing.

Normal people just stick with the router their ISP supplied, so uptake of 802.11ac among normal people will take a long time. It won't happen until their current router breaks or they change ISPs and get a new one. And even then, most ISPs are notoriously cheap and can't be bothered supplying anything better than 2.4GHz 802.11n at best.

The majority of households are still on 802.11g, at least based on my experience with my own friends and family.

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

dissss posted:

That's why we keep a stack of clunky old 8440p s around as loaners - they aren't worth anything and are great for threatening people with.

My work laptop is an 8440p, and it's not scheduled for replacement until late next year. With all the corporate crap on it, it's slow as balls.

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

If anyone is using a Samsung 840 EVO SSD in their machines, and haven't run the performance restoration tool yet, I can highly recommend doing it. It can be downloaded here: https://www.samsung.com/global/business/semiconductor/minisite/SSD/global/html/support/downloads.html

The backstory is that as data gets older, read speeds drop due to some kind of drift. A firmware update fixes this, but you also need to rewrite all the data on the disk for it to have an effect on already existing data. For NTFS-formatted disks running Windows, there's a GUI tool, but for those of us running Linux or OS X (or *BSD or Hurd or Plan9/Inferno or whatever), Samsung supplies a DOS boot disk with a version of the tool.

Unfortunately, that boot disk is a piece of poo poo, or at least it refused to run on my PC. For anyone facing the same problem, the solution is to create a proper working DOS boot disk and put the tools from the Samsung-supplied .zip file on that. I used Rufus in Windows to create a FreeDOS boot disk, which worked beautifully.

The process took ~20 minutes on my 500GB drive, and my read speeds as reported by hdparm went from ~160MB/s to ~260MB/s.

E: Oh right, there's an SSD megathread, it's probably already covered in there :doh:

KozmoNaut fucked around with this message at 22:23 on Oct 28, 2014

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

Inspector_666 posted:

This doesn't mean it requires a reformat, right? I think I have an 840 at home but I don't care enough to reinstall my poo poo.

I made a backup image of my drive for safety's sake, but the tool doesn't reformat the drive, it just rewrites the cells. So unless something goes wrong, no data is lost.

That will work in the short term, but the only way to get the fixed firmware is through Samsung's tool.

KozmoNaut fucked around with this message at 23:12 on Oct 28, 2014

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

Bob Morales posted:

Second of all I made a joke about there being 2 mice. "Oh, he had the two-handed mouse setup"

She replied with "Oh? That's interesting. Didn't know you could do that. How does that work?"

I was making a joke!

Man, I have this memory of seeing a dual-trackpoint Thinkpad running Windows 3.x, complete with two mouse cursors. But I can't seem to find any references to it now :(

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

funk_mata posted:

Molex power connectors. Those were the absolute worst.

My hate for Molex power connectors is as deep as the Challenger Deep and as ugly as anything you would find there.

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

Collateral Damage posted:

Especially the cheap ones where the pins never lined up right.

Parallell ports. gently caress the parallell port interface.

Actually, gently caress ALL D-sub connectors. Especially VGA.

Not all. RS232 over DE-9 is OK. Ideally the male plug should have been on the cable instead of the appliance, but that's a minor flaw.

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

poo poo that really pisses me off: Why is it so hard to find a decent, yet competitively-priced laptop?

It's not even like my demands are that outrageous. All I want is enough performance for 1080p playback, an IPS* display with a decent resolution (ie. 1600x900 and up) that isn't bloody huge (14" or less), has decent battery life (6+ hours) and decent build quality (hinges and keyboard in particular).

Yeah, I know this is basically a stealth "find me a laptop" post, but it really is ridiculous how there are apparently no mid-class laptops with good displays. And even if such a thing exists (some of Lenovo's Yoga models come close), they're completely non-upgradeable, so have fun with obsolete hardware I guess.

I know my T42 cost like $1700 10 years ago when I bought it, and that's probably because it's built like a brick shithouse. I just thought things would have gotten cheaper by now, especially displays.

* (Or a non-lovely TN display, if such a thing even exists)

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

mewse posted:

I found a 14" acer haswell that has a 1920x1080 ips display and nvidia optimus so if I'm not playing games the haswell + igpu sips the battery.

It was less than 1k and met all my criteria but I'm not happy with the build quality or the physical location of the power button.

The closest thing I can find is the V5, but that's a 15.6" model. Acer is very price-competitive, but their build quality has always been poo poo. I'm actually surprised they even offer an IPS display.

Bob Morales posted:

XPS13
MacBook Pro
Yoga

#1 is $1900, way too expensive for a Dell.
#2 Apple = no.
#3 is on my very short list of possible candidates.

Ynglaur posted:

The laptop megathread will probably tell you such a thing doesn't exist for <$1000 at the moment. Size and battery life are what push those specs in the $1000+ range.

I must have missed the laptop thread, perhaps there's some gold to be found there.

Honestly, I'm slowly coming to accept that if I want laptop that can match my old one in longevity and sheer quality, a Thinkpad T or X is probably the only way to go. If only they weren't so ridiculously expensive.

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

dissss posted:

If I was looking for that type if system I'd spring the extra for a 14" Elitebook (840 G1) - price aside they seem to be a pretty good all round compromise.

My work laptop is an Elitebook 8440p, which is actually a pretty drat decent machine. The hinge could be better (Thinkpads have spoiled me), but the keyboard is pleasant to type on and overall build quality seems good. Performance is so-so, but that's mostly because our IT department has weighed it down by a million tons of corporate crapware AND keeps us stuck on 32-bit Windows 7 for some reason.

I should probably have a look at the current Elitebooks (and Probooks?).

Flipperwaldt posted:

God, no. All you'll learn is that any laptop below and most laptops above $1500 are turds in some way or another.

Yeah, I noticed.

Currently I'm leaning towards either a T440p or a X240, with IPS displays. One oddity I've noticed with the X240 is that the base model i3-4030U and top-dog i7-4600U have the same TDP :confused: Which makes the i7 the obvious choice for longevity (despite the price and the maximum of 8GB RAM).

Then again, full HD on a 12.5" screen is probably going to get a bit cramped, so a bigger screen seems like a good idea. But who wants to settle for an i3 in a T440p? With an i5, I'm suddenly faced with a $2200 pricepoint :(

KozmoNaut fucked around with this message at 20:21 on Nov 6, 2014

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

Maybe I should just wait for the Toshiba Chromebook 2 to be released in Europe. 1080p IPS display, long battery life and it seems to do everything most people ever use their laptops for, including me. January 2015, though :emo:

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

I just looked at the Elitebook 840, and the pricing is completely insane. $3000 minimum if I want the 1080p panel. Yeah, ain't gonna happen. For an actual all-singing, all-dancing laptop, the T440p really looks like the only solid bet.

Bob Morales posted:

What's the point of buying a T540 with a 1366x768 screen? Just get a drat X220.

More powerful non-ULV CPUs?

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

lampey posted:

http://www.amazon.com/Toshiba-CB35-...ba+chromebook+2
$330, 1080p IPS display, 9 hour battery life. It's cheap enough that you do not need to worry about upgrading the hardware in the future.

That's what I've been tending towards for a while now. It's super supremely sucky that it won't be coming out in Europe until January 2015. A Thinkpad would be a nice full-featured machine, but I've got a reasonably powerful desktop for that.

As a machine to kick back in the couch, read forums, watch Youtube videos and not have to worry much about battery life, the Chromebook 2 seems about right. I had an Android tablet before (and I currently have a work-supplied iPad Air), but touch-only interfaces, simplistic apps and feature-lacking tablet web browsers irritate me enormously.

Bob Morales posted:

If the keyboard and trackpad are nice, that would be a sweet machine to run Ubuntu on.

From the hands-on videos and early coverage, they're quite good.

Downsides are probably the glossy display on the 1080p model, and the overall performance compared to the new i3-based Chromebooks, due to the fanless design.

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

A memory leak is causing one of our backend servers to lock up and hang once every week or so, necessitating a restart.

Now a change ticket has come in for this issue, proposing a nightly scheduled server reboot as a "permanent solution".

No, goddammit! That is a loving workaround, not a bloody permanent solution, you incompetent fucks! :argh:

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

Bob Morales posted:

You're still running NT 4.0? :haw:

Server 2003, with a very badly coded application. Yeah, I have no idea either.

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

Demonachizer posted:

This is why you order parity dishes so even if one meal is lost, you can still create a full dish for the person.

Redundant Array of Inexpensive Dishes?

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

Noice

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

E: ^^^^ That's a really good idea, I'm stealing that.

Che Delilas posted:

My old boss was like this, with the added bonus of judging everyone else by that criteria too.

This is exactly why I got myself a separate private-only cellphone, despite having a company-paid phone with unlimited private usage (I work at a telco/ISP). Work phone gets turned off when I go home.

My previous boss used to send out emails at all hours of the night, expecting an answer before 8 the next morning. I think he was literally working all the time (doing what, I have no idea) and basically never slept, ever.

At one point, I got messages and loving calls at 2 in the morning. Then he went down with stress and got laid off a little while later. Big surprise there.

KozmoNaut fucked around with this message at 19:26 on Nov 18, 2014

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

Bob Morales posted:

Why would they give you a cell phone (assuming you are in the office 9-5) if you aren't going to have it on after hours?

It's part of the employment package. DSL, landline and cellphone+subscription, all company-paid. It's a telco/ISP, so it makes good sense that your employees act as ambassadors for your own products. We just got a mail today that our movie streaming service will be free for all employees for the rest of 2014, which is nice.

I was on-call certain days of the month in my old position, but everybody in the company gets the same package, since we can work from home one day per week, or more if needed. Because we're getting taxed on these services, personal use is basically unlimited. Although I think they call you in for a chat if your cellphone usage goes over like $500/quarter or something.

KozmoNaut fucked around with this message at 20:08 on Nov 18, 2014

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

KennyTheFish posted:

With some solutions you can set up one queue, and then swipe in on the printer to collect output from wherever you want.

This is what we're using, SafeQ Print with Minolta hardware. It works so goddamn well. Hell, the printers even order new toner by themselves when they've run out.

It's extremely convenient when you have hundreds of printers per location.

It also means that I scored a free pre-SafeQ Kyocera laser printer when we made the switch, which was nice.

KozmoNaut fucked around with this message at 06:53 on Nov 19, 2014

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

I just use the serial port header on my motherboard and a $2 backplate with a DE-9 port on it :smug:

Because my motherboard is oooold, of course.

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

I'm looking to maybe buy a used Thinkpad X-series, probably an X230. I really want the nice IPS monitor and not the bleh TN one, but unfortunately they're the same resolution, so it's hard to tell them apart in the ads.

Luckily, Lenovo being Lenovo, you can look up the serial number of any of their products online and find the exact hardware specifications, including FRU numbers for all the parts. So I've taken to asking sellers to provide me the serial number so I can look it up.

But now this seller is really goddamn adamant that I absolutely have to come see his laptop in person, because "everyone knows you can't tell which screen it is from the serial number, you can only look up the warranty status, you have to look at it, it's really nice".

Goddammit, you ignorant gently caress, don't try to school me on something you know literally nothing about. I made a living buying, supporting and repairing IBM/Lenovo laptops for years, I know this poo poo :argh:

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

Dick Trauma posted:

sick of myself.

Don't be.

They treated you like poo poo, they don't deserve another second of your time. No salary is worth being treated like that.

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

Scaramouche posted:

aaaaaaaahhhhh black friday aahhhhhhhhhhhhh

I bought a Chromebook and LEGO Batman 3, each for 30% off online. Ain't no way I'm venturing into an actual store today.

And I'm in Denmark, for crying out loud, this shouldn't even be happening.

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

Oh yeah, two of the small-fry, but relatively popular hardware/software web stores went down right after midnight and they still weren't up at noon. I can imagine how the admins must feel right now.

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

I love cheesy power metal, but I am deathly afraid to reveal this at work. If I do, all of the filthy sweaty neckbeards will come crawling out of the woodwork and force me to listen to them go on for hours about how awesome Dragonforce are. gently caress Dragonforce.

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

Garrand posted:

I'm kinda curious what bands you listen to. I'm a fan of Kamelot and I think Blind Guardian's later / more recent albums fit being cheesy power metal (lyric wise, at least.) I'm always looking for more bands to add to my playlist. And I agree with you about Dragonforce.

Right now it's generally Powerwolf, Hammerfall and The Sword (though that's more into doom/stoner, really), with a bit of Stratovarius and Sabaton thrown in. Trying to get into Helloween, too.

Powerwolf is what I listen to the most right now. Pipe organs, over-the-top evil inquisitor act, Romanian opera singer frontman and tons of vampire/werewolf mythology. Cheese factor is off the scale, but it's sooo good.

A bit of Blind Guardian as well, but only really up to A Night At The Opera. I'll have a listen to some Kamelot :)

KozmoNaut fucked around with this message at 11:10 on Mar 16, 2015

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

Gothmog1065 posted:

I need to do a pandora station for some of this. I like new music recommendations so I'll be listening to some of this. I've already got some Kamelot and Sabaton. Should we start/join a thread in NMD?

There's a general metal thread, and black metal and metalcore thread, but none for power metal :-(

And I'm nursing a flu and a migraine right now, on top of being pissed off at Napalm Records' customer "service", so I'm not in a state to start one.

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

I've found that the best way is to be very clear in all communication, don't hesitate to ask if there's something you think you may have missed, and be significantly more firm in your requirements and demands. Leave as little wiggle room as possible. There is an unfortunate and significant cultural gap that simply must be worked around.

And things will still go wrong. I'm heading to Kolkata next week to visit TCS. It will be an interesting trip.

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

It's a middle ground between French press and espresso. The steep time is very short and you force the water out through the grounds instead of squeezing them.

French press coffee is good, but the best-tasting cup of coffee I've ever had was made with an Aeropress. I kid you not, it tasted exactly as wonderful as fresh-brewed coffee smells. No bitterness, just goodness.

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

anthonypants posted:

Why bother doing something illegal when you could just fill his car with diesel?

I would have washed his car very thoroughly.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=png5BFnwg1I

KozmoNaut fucked around with this message at 09:49 on Apr 15, 2015

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

Not something that pisses me off, just something that's a little sweet.

One of my (female) Indian colleagues has an out-of-office autoreply on her mail, that ends with "for anything urgent, please give me a ring."

I'm sure that would definitely get her attention :v:

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

Crowley posted:

So that's what you're doing this Thursday? :v:

Nah, she's really sweet and all (I met her when I was in Kolkata a couple of weeks ago), but I'm done with long-distance relationships.

One of her colleague is totally Bollywood star levels of hot, though. It's completely ridiculous.

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

bull3964 posted:

Carriers and OEMs like Samsung are garbage about making pre-install deals for software (for example, all Samsung devices have loving McAfee embedded as a core part of the system.) This is why you buy a Pixel device.

Or an Android One device. My Motorola is clean stock Android, aside from like two Motorola apps to support gestures and track skipping via the volume rocker.

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

For once something that is actually decent, instead of pissing me off.

I needed to connect both my desktop PC and a docking station to my monitor/keyboard/mouse. It's a Dell U2713HM, so while it does have DP, DVI, HDMI and VGA inputs, it will only run at full 2560x1440 with a DP or dual-link DVI signal. DP KVM switches are stupidly expensive and it seems dual-link-capable DVI switches are not too far behind on prices. Long story short, an active DP to dual-link DVI adapter (Club 3D CAC-1010) did the trick and I'll just switch inputs on the monitor.

For keyboard/mouse switching I dug out an old Lindy USB KM switch I've had in my box of random cables for ages, I can't even remember when I bought it. The drat thing works beautifully, I am seriously impressed. It looks like it clones the device IDs of the keyboard and mouse, so the deselected PC never knows the devices are gone. I thought only fancy-pants expensive KVMs did that! Maybe I'm just way behind the curve on KVM features, but that's a neat feature to me.

E: turns out I am way behind on KVM features and it's just transparent USB and every KVM has it now :downs:

According to the manual the drivers can do Synergy-like switching when moving the mouse from one screen to the other, but only on Windows and MacOS. I'm on Linux so I just use the hotkeys.

Lindy USB KM Switch 32165, highly recommended. Probably sold under a number of other rebrands of generic Chinese hardware.

KozmoNaut fucked around with this message at 21:23 on Aug 21, 2020

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

I like the new Android Firefox :shobon:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

Man, if someone raises a sev 1 at my work and calls up the major incident management team as per procedure, if SRT meetings aren't called within 30 minutes, heads are gonna roll.

This is for internal applications, of course.

KozmoNaut fucked around with this message at 23:40 on Dec 11, 2020