Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Obsoletely Fabulous
May 6, 2008

Who are you, and why should I care?
Well I’m apparently cursed. My position is being offshored to India to save a buck and I have to train the guy. Monday I interviewed for an internal position that was right up my alley. Yesterday I got a call from the manager that they were expediting the rec for me so I could transfer ASAP. Today in a conference call I find out the manager was terminated a couple hours after telling me that and the replacement is out of office so no one knows whether the position is going to be filled now.

Oh and the replacement position is an hour drive away because I have to go in to the office after working from home for close to 5 years.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Obsoletely Fabulous
May 6, 2008

Judge Schnoopy posted:

yeah if only there were more motivation to give them ALL of the information. Or at least SOME of the information. It's a bummer you ended up giving them nothing because you didn't have a stake in the company.

Dude doesn’t even bother dialing in to the meetings. I’m trying to :yotj: and have been interviewing lots of other places. Had a meet the team interview and tour of the facilities with introductions after another interview for two places last week. Have a phone interview with a company literally across the street from my house tomorrow morning and an in person interview in the afternoon at another place.

Obsoletely Fabulous
May 6, 2008

Judge Schnoopy posted:

What do you feel is the weakest aspect of your resume / interview that would keep you from getting one of those jobs?

Just out of practice interviewing. I haven’t had to interview in over a decade. My resume was kind of bad when I first started out but I had it reviewed and rewritten. Actually get call backs and interviews now.

Obsoletely Fabulous
May 6, 2008

Judge Schnoopy posted:

I have to review applications for my replacement. I'm reading through cover letters, and my god they're all awful.

Brush up on writing a good cover letter if you're looking for a new job. Please don't include poo poo like "I'll save you money!" and "Look no further!" like a goddamn carnival worker.

I think I’ve had one place ask for a cover letter. They also made me take a personality test and told me exactly how to dress for the interview. Place is super bizarre and I’m fairly confidant I don’t actually want to work there.

Obsoletely Fabulous
May 6, 2008

My replacement is a drat idiot. This week he has:
•Sent out data to customers without having it reviewed
•Managed to change the date formats on a report that shows data by day to DD-MM-YY instead of MM-DD-YYYY but messed it up so 3/1-3/12 were sorted as if they were the 3rd day of each month but 3/13-3/31 were sorted correctly.
•Tried to modify a report and tried to join a number to a string. Obviously didn’t test it because he sent it to me for review before putting it in production.
•Didn’t join a single required meeting.
•Can’t figure out how to upload some documents to SharePoint.
•Gave someone a spreadsheet with an active database connection with the user name and password for the generic reporting account in it.

Of course he is in a completely different part of the organization than me because he is in Indiana and his boss doesn’t believe in getting rid of people for being unable to do the job. They just get shifted to a different position over and over until they quit.

Obsoletely Fabulous
May 6, 2008

Judge Schnoopy posted:

If he's your replacement it sounds like all of this is absolutely none of your problem.

And may benefit you if you use that job as a reference, because you'll always be compared as "better than that loving new guy"

It is absolutely not my problem. I’m pretty much just standing back and watching the train wreck while making sure the people who need to know that he screwed up know so it doesn’t come back on me. I would like a decent reference when I need one from here.

Obsoletely Fabulous
May 6, 2008

The trust in my replacement has hit such lows that they want me to document how to do all of my job in plain and simple English so anyone can do it in the next few weeks on top of the existing workload. I feel like if it was possible to do that I could make a lot more money as a trainer or author.

Obsoletely Fabulous
May 6, 2008

Judge Schnoopy posted:

my father in law wants us to move to the rear end-lands of west-coast east michigan, claiming there are 'tons' of IT jobs (usually pointing to ones like what you posted).

"cost of living is so cheap, you could get really far on $15 an hour!" My dude, I'm looking down the barrel of ~$50 an hour, I don't have to live in backwoods poo poo towns.

I work in Michigan and that is such terrible pay. The call centers usually pay better than that. poo poo when I started out 15 years ago I was almost making that at a help desk answering phones. Whatever company that was is terrible.

There are a ton of IT jobs in Detroit metro area with pretty decent pay and a not terrible cost of living if you are willing to commute a bit. I don’t know if I’d move to Michigan though.

Edit: the commute is garbage though.
Edit2: figured it out. I literally interviewed with them on Monday for a different position.

Obsoletely Fabulous fucked around with this message at 18:31 on Apr 13, 2018

Obsoletely Fabulous
May 6, 2008

darth_pizza posted:

Veeam replications that get to 99% and die on the vine forcing me to restart them.

customers wanting to shut down AWS devices over the weekend to 'save money' and then expecting reports that show 100% uptime.

goddamn

Can’t you modify the reports to exclude weekends from the calculations if the requirement is only business hours or are these built in reports that can’t be modified? I had to do a bunch of that when building SLA reports because some were business hours only (which were different at each account), some 24x7, and some were it mattered how many people were impacted by outages or downtimes. This was in a terrible ticketing system though that didn’t support actually tracking that data.

Obsoletely Fabulous
May 6, 2008

MC Fruit Stripe posted:

I'm shedding myself of all popularity around here, and it's only going to get worse with this post.

Reddit's fantastic. There are 1 or 2 really strong posts in /r/sysadmin per day. I think people who dislike Reddit are judging it as a whole, which isn't fair. For example, on SA, I only browse a few threads in SH/SC. I don't judge SA by GBS or TFR or any of the 50 or so ironic subforums. Same goes for Reddit.

The problem is even in the “good” subreddits you still have the unironic references to men’s rights, reverse racism, and all that other bullshit. For example someone arguing that there isn’t racism/sexism in the IT hiring process.

Obsoletely Fabulous
May 6, 2008

Things that aren’t pissing me off: My drat replacement hasn’t listened to a single thing I’ve told him. Not using the correct templates, writing queries directly in the database instead of using the reporting tool, etc. He seems pretty determined to not follow company policy at all but none of this is my problem and I have to keep telling him the most basic things like what the password is for the reports account. Best part is none of this is actually my problem. 8 more days and I’m at the new job.

We were also screen sharing the other day and he has a job hunting site and a few interview question primer websites up. I’m pretty sure offshoring my position is going to bite this company in the rear end hard. Hopefully there is some karmic justice.

Obsoletely Fabulous
May 6, 2008

So my boss is scheduling a meeting next week for me to explain why my replacement is so bad. Maybe if you are hiring an “expert” for a system you should actually make sure they know the system? I guess her boss is pushing back on why all of the sudden he is crashing and burning right when I stopped holding his hand. The guy can’t even find an option in a context menu when it is right in his face and I’m telling him the option to pick.

5 more days and none of this will come up again. I’ve pretty much been pushing back at my boss saying none of this is my issue. They hired someone in a different country for 1/20th the cost and then wanted me to transfer 10 years of knowledge and experience via Skype.

gently caress em. Worst they can do is fire me a few days before I quit.

Obsoletely Fabulous
May 6, 2008

Steakandchips posted:

Beautiful, keep the stories coming. Outsourcing is one thing that really pisses me off and I have seen this happen so many times, I am glad that he is crashing and burning and that your idiot boss has to deal with it.

This is their second attempt to outsource this position. The first attempt was about 7 years ago when I was only partially in this role. They had the exact same issues with “experts” not actually being experts and the Indian replacement not asking questions. It failed then and I went completely in to the role. I don’t know if it is a cultural issue or just bad luck but almost every person they’ve tried to export a job to has said “yes they can do it” but aren’t actually able to and won’t ask for help or ask questions.

This attempt is coming out because we got bought by a multinational firm that tries to save every penny they can even when it costs them dollars. They furloughed call center employees because they were doing too good of a job meeting SLAs but then came screaming when they started to fail.

Judge Schnoopy posted:

The answer seems pretty apparent.

To you and I but I guess not to everyone.

Obsoletely Fabulous
May 6, 2008

mewse posted:

Your previous posts to this thread have numerous examples of how your replacement is a fuckup. Maybe print a list of all that stuff you told him and he subsequently ignored to prove good faith. Looks like you are only doing this for a reference and there's no severance on the line or anything so who cares :P

That is already in process. I’m going through my emails right now so I can show exactly when I provided him written documentation. I wish I had recorded all our calls so I could give those too.

Obsoletely Fabulous
May 6, 2008

Thanks Ants posted:

I have limited experience in dealing with outsourcing work to people based in India, but I've always experienced an eagerness to avoid being the bearer of bad news so you just get "yup I understand" and then it becomes clear that they didn't. We had a few developers come over and after a couple of months with the team over in Europe they were giving accurate status updates even if it was bad news. I don't know if it's a fear of losing the job or what, but it goes away once they've had a chance to get comfortable in the role.

I’ve almost never got an honest answer from him or my other interactions with Indian employees. It is incredibly frustrating. I’d rather someone tell me they don’t get it so we can work together and fix it. Instead I’ve had to call him out on poo poo like deleting automated jobs on accident but not telling anyone. That one didn’t get found out until I came back from paternity leave and spotted it. His response was “I didn’t want to tell anyone.” Well no poo poo but they are kind of important (even if it is just a background process) and need to run.

Obsoletely Fabulous
May 6, 2008

Congrats! Not having to deal with poo poo like that will feel great. Hope things work out at the new place.

Obsoletely Fabulous
May 6, 2008

I found out some things in my replacement and my coworkers.

My replacement has been asking around about H1Bs. Between that and the interview prep stuff I saw on his desktop I’m pretty sure he has a foot out the door already.

Our ticketing system is ran by me and one other person currently. I do some minor admin and database work and all the reporting. My coworker does everything else. They are actively interviewing for other positions and I’m pretty sure will be gone shortly after me. I know no one is truly irreplaceable but I feel like my company is about to have a very rough time.

Obsoletely Fabulous
May 6, 2008

LawfulWaffle posted:

poo poo cracking me up: I just found out a quirk in our ticketing system. If you email the helpdesk and include a pound sign along with a number, the system will automatically append that email to ticket number you put behind the pound sign. One of the programs that our users regularly interact with spits out error codes when there's a problem logging in to it, most commonly Rejection Code 28. So I've just discovered that ticket #28 has dozens of notes on it dating back to 2012 where people have been emailing in requesting their password be reset. I can only assume that they sent a second ticket or called in to fix the problem, because no one has been receiving notifications on ticket #28 for years (the person who closed the ticket is no longer with the company).

Re: Employee Appreciation Week. We have been instructed to wear red this Thursday since we are closing down operations for a half-day and having an Employee Appreciation Presentation with awards and a speaker. I used to not mind this because all employees are dismissed for the day at the end of the presentation at 4p, which meant I got to go home a little earlier, but now that my normal quitting time is 4 and I'm in an IT role, I don't get the bonus of leaving early and I have the risk of being tapped to help troubleshoot the projector and sound system.

Too bad you’ve developed that terrible cough and won’t be able to make it in that day. I’ve often had last minute doctor appointments that I just can’t reschedule to get out of things like that.

Obsoletely Fabulous
May 6, 2008

It sounds like some higher ups have decided my replacement being lovely is my fault. That somehow after a decade of always positive reviews I’ve decided not to do my job. Things I’ve accomplished today: responded to a few emails telling people to talk to my replacement instead of me. That was about it. Didn’t answer any calls, didn’t write any documentation.

Three more days, four more meetings (that I probably won’t attend), and I’m out of here.

Obsoletely Fabulous
May 6, 2008

Humphreys posted:

Maybe not on purpose. There's a big difference in doing and teaching.

The multiple back ups and managers I’ve taught and trained over the years without complaint or issues would speak to my being able to teach. The guy can’t even figure out how to pick an option from a right click menu, of course I must just be screwing them over.

Edit: I realize you didn’t have any way of knowing that, but they do.

Obsoletely Fabulous
May 6, 2008

Currently on hold with our internal help desk because bitlocker has freaked out and won’t let me access my PC. I hate this software so much. The only thing that changed in the PC between yesterday and today was the USB headset is unplugged. I also can’t access webmail.

Hopefully they terminated my access early.

Obsoletely Fabulous
May 6, 2008

poo poo that isn’t pissing me off: :yotj: I handed in my laptop and card today. Feels so good. Now the India guy can fail on his own and I don’t have to hear the complaints. I wish I had more time before I started the new job but with a new baby that just isn’t in the cards.

Obsoletely Fabulous
May 6, 2008

bull3964 posted:

FYI, just so everyone knows, MILLIONS of healthcare records a day are flying around via SMTP and SMIME encryption.

https://h22168.www2.hpe.com/docs/orion/RS971_Demystifying_DSM_WhitePaper.pdf

This is nowhere near the worst thing going on in. I spent 13 years in healthcare It and there was some really dumb poo poo in that time. EMR systems with generic logins whose access wasn’t logged and the passwords stored in an open internal wiki, Pharmacy machines with generic pins that everyone knew, all kinds of poo poo. We had people that got terminated who had access two years after the fact that got found during an audit. The people who were supposed to be terminating access just weren’t doing it.

Everyone who supported systems has way too much access (l1 helpdesk could access medical records) and way too much work was done with generic accounts because the hospitals didn’t want to pay for additional licenses for software. Some of it got tightened down but that whole industry scares the poo poo out of me now.

Obsoletely Fabulous
May 6, 2008

Ugh. At one point at my previous position we had:

•Most Servers in UTC
•Ticketing System DB in Central European Time but displayed in users local time. I eventually got an admin to change it to UTC but he refused to change the past times so there is about a month of data in CET and the rest in UTC.
•Help Desk in Eastern Time
•Head Quarters in Central Time
•Offshore Help Desk on India Standard Time
•Coding team on Pacific Time
•Clients in Eastern, Central, and Mountain Time

Everything was always a giant mess in reference to time. Every meeting invite caused massive conflicts and god forbid you needed India involved in anything.

Obsoletely Fabulous
May 6, 2008

Sprechensiesexy posted:

I find the best solution to involving India is to not involve India.

If only that had been an option. I once caught the India desk fudging SLA numbers by counting emails as phone calls (they were billed at different rates and had way different response times for SLAs). It got ran up the chain, lots of meetings were held, and literally nothing changed. No one got fired, they kept reporting those numbers up their chain of command, etc. As far as I know they are still doing it.

Obsoletely Fabulous
May 6, 2008

guppy posted:

This drives me insane. We have contractual agreements on what is to be delivered. Oh, you decided not to deliver that thing? Oh well, guess we are just going to accept it as an immutable fact of life!

I don't like messing with people's money, I don't like to go after people's jobs, but at some point chronic failure to fulfill a contract is a problem that needs addressing.

Yeah. At some point the client is going to request an audit or look at the reports and poo poo will fly. Wouldn’t be the first lawsuit over billing they will be involved with.

Obsoletely Fabulous
May 6, 2008

No one where I work now gets local admin unless they get sign off from a bunch of departments. Except that doesn’t help when you give your people bare bones images with no software installed and then expect them to install SSMS, Visual Studio, and a bunch of other software themselves. If you happen to know someone with a domain administrator account and have them install the software for you because it has been a month it alerts the infosec department who actually follow up on things. I still can’t actually install SSMS because the antivirus blocks it.

Obsoletely Fabulous
May 6, 2008

BaronVonVaderham posted:

Had my first full rage at this job today.

Working on something non-critical. It's a bug, but it's not breaking anything outside of the staff portal, and then only if people are being loving morons and trying to book 14 appointments into the same slot (my solution to this bug was "please just fire everyone too stupid to select the empty slots, I frankly don't understand how they survived the drive to work if they're that stupid".....or at least let me just kick an error). I need to set poo poo up to correct the mistakes of these idiots and automatically book them the way it should be done instead.

But that's not the rage-inducing part, just mildly frustrating. I had a fix working and pushed it out to a hotfix branch for testing.....and QA tells me it didn't work. Sentry tells me exactly where it failed, and it made no sense. It was a very simple `.filter()` call, but it did involve a property method as an argument, which for some reason was returning None in hotstage but worked totally fine locally. But even that wasn't worthy of rage....

I walked away to get dinner, and came back to my laptop to see a message saying now it broke a different way. I explain that I understand where it's breaking but not why. I'll take a look at it Tuesday, this is the first food I've seen all day and I have plans tonight.

"Oh, we REALLY need this working so this team we use in India can do their regression testing on Monday." (they're not off for our holiday over there).
"Um. Ok. I guess I'll cancel my plans...."
"Oh you don't have to do that! Just do it some time this weekend, but I just won't be around to help test it."

This same QA person left work EARLY today because holiday weekend traffic is just such a hardship. I'm supposed to stay until [undetermined] to fix this poo poo and/or just casually give up part of my holiday weekend, but oh btw I'm leaving work early to avoid traffic and *I* can't come in to help at all this weekend.

Hours later, I solved it. It's hacky but it works, and the passive-aggressively-named commits have been pushed up. I lost 3 pets in as many weeks and ended up in the ER on Wednesday.....I need a loving vacation, but I'll take a three day weekend.

(speaking of which, they hosed up my PTO poo poo again :bang:)

That sounds so terrible. Tell India to go gently caress themselves and enjoy your weekend.

Sorry for the loss of your pets. That is always really difficult and hard.

Obsoletely Fabulous
May 6, 2008

MF_James posted:

Yeah I sacrificed the mechanical aspect and bought the microsoft one, I've gone through 3 of them now in the last 7-8 years (maybe longer?) and they've only broken because of my dumb rear end; it's my favorite ergo keyboard that doesn't cost a fortune.

I really like the Microsoft ones. I think I’m on my second in a decade. Fairly reliable and they are pretty cheap. Only real issue I have is that stupid scroll wheel/zoom thing but that is just appearance.

Obsoletely Fabulous
May 6, 2008

The Fool posted:

The support for a SaaS product we use keeps generating new ticket numbers every time they escalate or transfer a case to a new department. I'm certain it's to keep their SLA down and I'm getting sick of it.

The company that bought my previous employer did that and was trying to get us to do it as well. Precisely to keep SLAs down. They didn’t think it was right that a month old ticket could get escalated to a high priority and blow that months SLA. Maybe if you didn’t sit on tickets for 6 months they wouldn’t get escalated? Maybe try for an initial acknowledgment in hours or days instead of weeks?

Obsoletely Fabulous
May 6, 2008

Team of 6 but 2 of us have just a month in and are still learning. The other 4 pull more than their weight. I feel like an rear end in a top hat because they are working 10-11 hours days and I do my shift and go home.

We are hourly and I just don’t know enough to justify working overtime currently. I’m sure I could get away with it but I just wouldn’t feel good about it.

Obsoletely Fabulous
May 6, 2008

I’m not sure what exactly our QA team does. I’ve been working tickets and come across quite a number of issues that should have been caught by them before making it to production. When you are reporting two different things you should totally just print one of those things twice. Developer messages for troubleshooting code left in? No big deal, customers won’t notice. This was on a function that thousands of people use multiple times a day. Someone no one ever noticed or reported it until I caught it. Why test some of the most used portions of the software?

Obsoletely Fabulous
May 6, 2008

dogstile posted:

Owning your own place loving rules.

I dropped out of uni and managed to buy my place last year before i hit my mid 20's.

All those years of spending no money and never doing anything fun are paying off!

I actually went out I just hustled people for drinks because i'm passably good at pool

I’m another college drop out that just bought my first house last year. Mortgage payment that is close to half of what the renting price would be? Don’t mind if I do. I used to hate mowing the lawn as a kid but now I enjoy it. Not sure if I’m old or it is pride in taking care of something I own.

Obsoletely Fabulous
May 6, 2008

Sheep posted:

Totally unrelated to IT but some advice I have for fellow homeowners is get to a point where you're sitting on 6-12 months of mortgage payments so that you can eat a perhaps unforeseen job loss without worrying about literally losing your home.

Some of my friends are morons and still live paycheck to paycheck despite being homeowners and my butthole clenches just writing that sentence.

That’s why we bought in a lower income suburb vs a very nice one. I bought my mom’s house in size for 1/3 the price. Yes some of the cars in the area are clunkers but it is decent.

Edit: I just do the lawn. My wife does the gardening.

Obsoletely Fabulous
May 6, 2008

loving Service Now just ate my work notes on a ticket not 1 but 4 times and refused to let me change the assignment. Thankfully after recreating them for the 2nd attempt I saved a copy. This is my first job using it but it is so terrible. I don’t understand how people pay money for it.

Obsoletely Fabulous
May 6, 2008

fist4jesus posted:

Thats funny an all. Until you are 5 months into needing to do that poo poo every day which is the case where I work.
They apparently needed to track what we do to justify additional staff, got approval, and then just didn't hire.

Interviews, staff chosen, no final sign off making good prospective people jerk around for months until they gave up.
Meanwhile we are still putting poo poo into excel sheets and emailing them out three times a day.

A few of us, knowing they aren't actually even looking at them started not sending them.
Three weeks later some dickhead manager noticed the lack of a paperclip and drama ensued.

So on it goes and if I'm honest I'm doing about 30% less work than before. As it needs to be spaced out to give the illusion of constant activity.

A couple positions ago we had to punch in/out and then justify why we only worked 9-5 or if we stayed late justify that as well via weekly spreadsheets that were never reviewed. By the time I left that position I would sit at my desk reading until exactly 9. If people asked me questions I would tell them to wait. I then went home at exactly 5.

The managers were absolute garbage. I got a poor performance review because I didn’t work as much overtime as someone in a completely different position with completely different responsibilities.

Obsoletely Fabulous
May 6, 2008

nexus6 posted:

Also I found out yesterday that two of my job applications have failed. Just a note "we are not progressing with your application", no feedback or anything. All of my other applications have no feedback at all. I've been job hunting trying to get out of here since June and still have nothing going forward.

The lack of feedback is terrible but at least they told you no instead of ghosting you like most employers seem to do now. Hopefully some of your others work out.

Obsoletely Fabulous
May 6, 2008

BaronVonVaderham posted:

Boss at 4pm pinging the team: Hey there's a massive bug with credit cards in production, is anyone still around to take a look?

Me (and everyone else on said team):

Do you work together? Because I’m pretty sure that happened where I’m at as well. Doesn’t help when verifone cuts their staff in half.

Obsoletely Fabulous
May 6, 2008

I got turned down for an internal position that I was completely qualified for, if not over qualified, without an interview or word from anyone. They just updated the job postings to say the company wasn’t interested.

The position I’m in now was supposed to be a foot in the door which my boss completely gets. He supported me going for the position and told me he wants to see me move up instead of move out. I don’t intend on moving out though. I have decent pay and benefits and the culture is amazing compared to places I’ve worked at and seen.

I’ll definitely keep trying for other positions but the way I got turned down for this one just pissed me right off.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Obsoletely Fabulous
May 6, 2008

They do promote internally. Quite a few people that started in the call center are now in other IT departments, including my own which is about 75% internal promotions. I know how the game is played to get decent raises in IT but it isn’t necessarily about the money. I just would rather be doing a different type of work.

Currently I’m customer facing and doing software/database troubleshooting. Thankfully not in the call center. I’d rather be in a more internal role with more involvement in the actual IT operations instead of fixing someone’s software configuration or updating their software because the call center and the user can’t figure out how to push the update button when the automated update fails.

I’m more just pissed that they didn’t tell me why not or even tell me no except a templated message in the job board.