Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

EAT THE EGGS RICOLA
May 29, 2008

Gweenz posted:

What assumptions have I made? I am under at least as much financial stress as anyone else, as I have said. According to the government I live at or below the poverty level. If my argument, which is only to say that everyone has options, is stupid then your argument is that everyone doesn't have options? Come on. Sheep mentality.

Hey man, cheer up, stop being so negative.

Maybe if you quit your lovely job you wouldn't be so upset.

:)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

EAT THE EGGS RICOLA
May 29, 2008

Recent dell laptops appear to be magical puzzle boxes. A tech has been trying to replace a screen for almost an hour now.

EAT THE EGGS RICOLA
May 29, 2008

Misogynist posted:

Dell techs are contractors working for Banctec, Unisys, or some other big field support company, so there's a non-negligible chance that the person you got just has no loving clue what they're doing.

It took him about an hour and a half in the end, and I think he lost half the screws.

EAT THE EGGS RICOLA
May 29, 2008

Someone's mad at me because I can't urgently get something off a 8" floppy for them.

EAT THE EGGS RICOLA
May 29, 2008

guppy posted:

I still have a hard time believing people post, or answer, ads like that. My city is not all that expensive but that offer pays less than an experienced help desk tech.

EDIT: The ad has been pulled, I presume in response to widespread mockery.

Rogue is notoriously awful about stuff like that, I'm pretty sure that's a relatively old posting.

EAT THE EGGS RICOLA
May 29, 2008

Gwaihir posted:

No, it got pulled because a goon actually took that job :haw:
(It was a real posting)

I know it was a real posting, it's just from back in June.

EAT THE EGGS RICOLA
May 29, 2008

One of our professionals just paid for a webinar, and got this email:

quote:

2. Attached is the handout for today’s webinar. To open the handout, you must have APPLICATIONNAME READER downloaded on your computer (you will likely need to contact your IT department to insure you can access APPLICATIONNAME and/or WebEx).

To download the APPLICATIONNAME reader, please click here: http://images.domain.com/download/applicationreader.zip to install the APPLICATIONNAME reader on your computer. Once the APPLICATIONNAME Reader is downloaded onto your computer, you can then open and print the attached handout. If you have any questions or problems with APPLICATIONNAME and/or the handout, please email PERSON at ___.

After opening the attached handout using the instructions above, please copy in color, two-sided for each attendee who will be viewing the webinar in your location. This webinar handout contains all the PowerPoint® slides (starting on page 2) that will be used during this webinar, and other relevant materials. This handout must be downloaded and printed today. It should be copied for each attendee according to the terms of use below.

[snip]

4. TERMS OF USE GOVERNING THE CONTENT OF THIS WEBINAR, HANDOUT, POWERPOINT SLIDES AND ALL OTHER COURSE MATERIALS – By paying to register for this webinar, you agree to abide by the “one location, one firm, one office, one view” use terms of purchase which are defined as follows: one location, one firm, one office, one view use registration includes one telephone connection, one master set of the copyrighted handout and presentation slides (which can be copied for the number of participants attending this webinar on the appropriate date in one listening room), one Internet connection, and an unlimited number of participants all of whom are employed in the same firm, in one office of that same firm, in one listening room. If you would like multi-office, multi-firm and/or multi-view registration fees, please contact [name].

Under these “one location, one firm, one office, one view” use terms of purchase, it is also unlawful to forward, copy, record, tape, re-broadcast, re-use or further distribute the webinar access link, webinar itself and/or webinar handout and/or presentation slides to anyone not pre-registered, or to re-use the course materials in any manner in the future without paying first and without prior written permission from the copyright/trademark owner.

The application is some "stop people from copying your IP!" thing, but... we can just print it and scan it if we want to and the application that they sent to my user made trend/officescan freak out.

EAT THE EGGS RICOLA
May 29, 2008

Wait why do I care the application is this thing: http://www.artistscope.com/copysafe_pdf_protection.asp

EAT THE EGGS RICOLA
May 29, 2008

I just had a job interview that sounded awesome for what is basically Senior CurrentJob, and I was all excited until I found out that the position pays substantially less than I currently make, requires more work hours, and increases my commute from 10 minutes to 90 minutes each way.

Glad I figured out what the pay scale was before wasting a day off, I guess.

EAT THE EGGS RICOLA
May 29, 2008

mllaneza posted:

if you haven't already, tell them you're making that now and that you expect a substantial increase for a senior position. But they probably already balked when you laughed at their first offer. Which you should have done.

I found the salary in a second posting for the same position (not the one I saw when I applied for it) that I found after the phone interview. I'm going to just send it to them and tell them that I was expecting roughly 50% more for the position, and thanks but no thanks, since I honestly like my job and am paid fine but I'm just starting to stagnate.

EAT THE EGGS RICOLA
May 29, 2008

It should be a crime to not say how much a job pays.

No, I'm not going to accept a senior DBA/dev position that pays < $40k.

gently caress's sake.

EAT THE EGGS RICOLA
May 29, 2008

Hahaha Telus's business division is so busy right now that they're just not accepting calls at all. Good job guys.

EAT THE EGGS RICOLA
May 29, 2008

Zamujasa posted:

Is it really that hard to set up a group e-mail setup (where you send to xxx@co.com and it broadcasts to abc, def, ghi@co.com) in Google Apps? The people here who administrate it apparently couldn't figure it out and it's one of the things driving them to in-house Exchange, in a company of about 10 people.

As someone who's grown fond of Gmail's interface/filters/tagging, this move sounds like it's going to suck, especially since I'm on *nix instead of Windows.

Like a distribution list? They're under Groups.

EAT THE EGGS RICOLA
May 29, 2008

Just lie or leave it blank (or put in $1 if you need to put in a number).

EAT THE EGGS RICOLA
May 29, 2008

You're absolutely doing yourself a huge disservice if you tell them your salary range first. Why would you do that? If they have a range that is not negotiable, they can tell you and you can reject it, but they're not going to do that either because they don't want to give you an advantage in negotiation.e

EAT THE EGGS RICOLA
May 29, 2008

Che Delilas posted:

I feel like this isn't getting enough attention and derision. This is what we call a deal-breaker.

Maybe they automatically disqualify anyone who has written more than 500 lines of code from applying.

EAT THE EGGS RICOLA
May 29, 2008

TWBalls posted:

Charbucks

You're an idiot.

EAT THE EGGS RICOLA
May 29, 2008

Paladine_PSoT posted:

I miss good mexican, the central valley was always good for that.

No, he's not. Starbucks way loving overroasts. It's nauseating.

Starbucks is basically responsible for coffee culture in North America, even though some of their their coffees are overroasted, and "Charbucks" is some Micro$$$oft level poo poo.

EAT THE EGGS RICOLA
May 29, 2008

I'm tired of places that don't say what the salary range for a position is (and finding out later it pays half what I currently make), so I just ask them when doing the interview-planning exchange now.

quote:

Salary is based on years of relevant experience and certifications. If you give let us know the range you are looking for, then I could verify that it is within our range as well.

For gently caress's sake just tell me, broadly, what the job pays.

EAT THE EGGS RICOLA
May 29, 2008

Trastion posted:

Just tell them that since they cannot tell you, that you are not interested in their position.

I just had a recruiter let me know about a position but after asking him a few questions I was able to figure out that it was not something I wanted so i told him I was not interested. I guess it helps that I like my current place except for the pay. But I can be picky on where I go from here because I don't have to leave where I am currently.

Yeah, I'm happy at my current position (but could use something more challenging/higher pay), these people just keep emailing me out of the blue then doing everything they can to avoid telling me what the job pays. It's kind of ridiculous.

EAT THE EGGS RICOLA
May 29, 2008

quote:

Unfortunately, your expectations are higher than our salary range based on your skill level and certifications specific for the position at [company].

O no my certifications

EAT THE EGGS RICOLA
May 29, 2008

dogstile posted:

Well poo poo, my review is next week. I've taken roughly four days off sick recently and its just hit me again. I really don't want to take more time off just before my review but I don't want to give it to anyone else.

Bit of a pickle and its making me really angry. Two weeks from now and I wouldn't care.

... give it to anyone else?

EAT THE EGGS RICOLA
May 29, 2008

Khisanth Magus posted:

The illness he just got again.

Oh. A friend of mine recently mentioned donating pto time to a coworker, which sounds insane to me, and I thought that was what he was talking about.

Durr.

EAT THE EGGS RICOLA
May 29, 2008

EAT THE EGGS RICOLA
May 29, 2008

Trastion posted:

Other than the retarded Star Trek reference what is wrong here? The browser doesn't know that Oracle bought Java and now hosts things on their server. It is warning you legitimately that the url you followed is being sent somewhere else.

It's something that pisses me off because Oracle hosed up their certs

EAT THE EGGS RICOLA
May 29, 2008

DagPenge posted:

In Denmark all banks and your access to everything provided by the Government via the internet is secured by... you guessed it a java application. The application uses three factor authentication sure, but I still need to update Java on all our client PCs and Remote desktop servers constantly.

The US Patent & Trademark Office uses certificates and a Java applet. If you update Java too quickly after a new release or if you take too long to update, the applet stops working. Whoo

EAT THE EGGS RICOLA
May 29, 2008

mllaneza posted:

Speaking of Java, Java 7 R51 won't run an app that doesn't have it's permissions set right. That's gonna break a whole bunch of infrastructure, including probably our Cisco GUI clients.

The ADSM client for our ASA blew up with R51, hooray!

EAT THE EGGS RICOLA
May 29, 2008

Someone just changed the certificate on the Exchange server at work, replacing it with a certificate for a different domain (which we own, so it's someone I work with). This has also broken activesync, so no lawyers are going to receive email on their mobile devices until someone fixes this. I took the day off because it's my birthday, so I'm not going to do a drat thing about it.

EAT THE EGGS RICOLA
May 29, 2008

mewse posted:

Guys in my office use join.me but it's run by logmein so it will probably be going down soon.

It's also terrible at having a remote user control a machine, unfortunately.

EAT THE EGGS RICOLA
May 29, 2008

americanzero4128 posted:

Today I'm hating on Java. After pushing version 7 update 51 to our server department, the guys that are monitoring SiteScope all of the sudden can't view any of the alerts, and if they try to log in, it just errs out. Ok, I tell them for the short term to change the security level on the Configure Java to medium until they can check if SiteScope came out with an update for this, since they've never had to adjust that before. The other program it broke was Screenr. Again, adding the website to the Exception site list in Java isn't hard, but that wasn't needed before. Why now? On the 15th, Screenr says their engineers are aware of the issue and are working on a fix. No update since then.

gently caress you Java.

It also broke your Cisco ASDM console and most HP switch consoles. Hooray!

EAT THE EGGS RICOLA
May 29, 2008

Potato Alley posted:

:stonk: Why do you have Java installed on servers? Or am I misunderstanding something?

It's the client.

EAT THE EGGS RICOLA
May 29, 2008

mllaneza posted:

R45 is still out there for download. I say roll it back until vendors update their poo poo.

Things pissing me off: Java applications that only run on Windows. gently caress you Cisco.

Another mission-critical app requires R51, so I have R45 on a VM and R51 on a workstation.

EAT THE EGGS RICOLA
May 29, 2008

I used the words "management policy" to explain something about the way that a proxy (which uses those literal exact words to describe the same thing) is set up to a partner in my firm and they basically tried to get me fired because they thought I was telling them they couldn't watch youtubes at work.

I will be so glad when the new hire is up to date and I can abandon IT forever.

EAT THE EGGS RICOLA
May 29, 2008

stevewm posted:

I have had enough of loving printers....

We have 50 printers spread across 8 different branch locations. All various makes and models. Spent just over $30k last year on toners/drums alone, and a few more $k in replacement and repair of said pieces of poo poo.

Time to look into printer leasing or "managed print services".

Anyone have any experience with such services? Any recommendations? All of our locations are in the area between Indianapolis, IN and Cincinnati, OH if anyone here knows any "locals".

I use Laser Networks and they have always been great.

I'm pretty sure they do stuff in the U.S. as well.

EAT THE EGGS RICOLA
May 29, 2008

We just don't give a poo poo unless someone is being a problem employee, at which point we might pull the logs to see if they're first scanning to get into a door 2 hours after their shift is intended to start every day or something.

Same as the web monitoring. I mean, we have logs of everything, but I've never once pulled them or looked at them because solving a managerial problem with a technical solution is dumb.

EAT THE EGGS RICOLA
May 29, 2008

BurgerQuest posted:

I thought the point of server 2013 is you generally would never actually install it with a UI at all? Given it's Win8 codebase, I'm not surprised the UI is 'modern', I'm just surprised it was installed by whoever set the server up.

*-not a server admin
There is no 2013, it'll be 2012 or 2012 R2

This is right, you're supposed to give it a core install (which has no GUI) and manage it remotely.

EAT THE EGGS RICOLA
May 29, 2008

... just use hyper-v?

EAT THE EGGS RICOLA
May 29, 2008

Helushune posted:

gently caress our "Bring in your personal machines and our IT department will fix them (for free)!" policy.
I'd honestly probably put up ads on Craigslist offering to "fix any problem with your laptop for $50!" and just pawn it off on my workplace's IT department as a supplementary source of income.

EAT THE EGGS RICOLA
May 29, 2008

Bob Morales posted:

Who are they supposed to ask?

They use excel for their job, so they're presumably supposed to have some level of proficiency in it, they should be able to figure it out themselves.

I know that's wishful thinking, but geez.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

EAT THE EGGS RICOLA
May 29, 2008

Urit posted:

Yeah, I use Chef/Jenkins every day. The problem is, my lovely organization basically views Chef as a replacement for AD Group Policy (:iiam:) and a way to run server setup scripts. They don't do any config management. Source control is treated as a roadblock, not an assistance. Code reviews are nonexistent, pull requests are auto-approved because no one has time to read the diff in Stash and understand that the commit would gently caress up performance or fill up a disk when it actually ran. Testing is done on crusty old VMs, almost no one does a fresh VM setup as a test. I'm personally all about that stuff you said. I think Volmarias hit it on the head. I just haven't run into an company that actually does any of those cool things, but they sure call what they do "devops" and that's what people think of when they hear it.

Is this in Windows? If so they really should be doing this with Powershell's Desired State Configuration