Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

EAT THE EGGS RICOLA
May 29, 2008

Migishu posted:

I walked into a job interview once for a company that basically spidered company websites, put their company up on some advertising front for a year, then at the end of the year, contacted accounting and was like "Hey, we've been advertising your company on our website but your 'subscription' is running out, would you like to continue advertising with us for $400/yr?"

Was shady as poo poo and looked like the office could be closed out and disappear overnight. They wanted me to work for them, I told them "yeah I'm not comfortable with this, later".

This happens a ton in the legal industry "Congratulations, you've been awarded a top 5 Pharmaceutical Law award for your country! Please let us know which package you want to buy to show off your award!"

Then the packages are like, posters, getting published in a magazine that only goes to people that paid for one of the packages, and getting displayed on a website for $20k/year. Every firm I worked for when I was in the legal industry fell for it multiple times and I was reprimanded at one of them for telling the managing partner it was a scam.

It was loving embarrassing working for a place that showed up on a website that made it clear that they had no idea how the internet worked and that they had obviously gotten scammed.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

EAT THE EGGS RICOLA
May 29, 2008

SIR FAT JONY IVES posted:

How is this a problem? Do your job and stop texting.

Treat my employees like responsible humans? Why,

EAT THE EGGS RICOLA
May 29, 2008

MC Fruit Stripe posted:

I'm not terribly put out because I pretty much don't answer numbers I don't recognize at this point. I spend half my day on the phone, why add to my misery by answering other calls. Guy with a Georgia area code called me twice in quick succession today - hmm, that must have been important. Not so important that he left a message though, so I'll sleep fine tonight.

I talk to my grandparents and to a single coworker on the phone. Everyone else can just email me.

Jerry Cotton posted:

Who even leaves messages? I don't know how to check my messages anymore.
I got rid of my voicemail entirely. Everyone I know and work with knows that if it's important, I'll get to it faster if they email.

EAT THE EGGS RICOLA
May 29, 2008

BaseballPCHiker posted:

http://www.forbes.com/sites/laurareston/2015/06/03/jpmorgan-chase-deals-latest-blow-to-a-dying-technology-voicemail/

More and more companies are removing voicemail entirely. Aside from a few older coworkers who insist on leaving a voicemail instead of emailing, or even worse older bosses insisting you leave a voicemail "to let them know were serious", I have zero use for it. Anyone I've worked with under 35 never uses it.

Good! There is nothing more annoying than a 4 minute rambling voicemail message that I could read in 20 seconds if they just loving wrote it down.

EAT THE EGGS RICOLA
May 29, 2008

Bob Morales posted:

What do you do with people who refuse to fill out helpdesk tickets and either:

Call IT staff directly
Email IT staff directly
Walk up to IT staff desk and interrupt them

.45 is not an option

It's not just the interruption/scheduling/prioritization, it's the fact that I get people bugging my idiot AS/400 admin about Windows issues or browser things that he knows jack poo poo about and he ends up wasting 2 hours clearing cookies because that's all he knows how to do.

This is your AS/400 admin's fault.

"I'm sorry, my time is being managed by my boss, but if you open a ticket we'll get someone to handle it as soon as we can! :)"

EAT THE EGGS RICOLA
May 29, 2008

Antioch posted:

We use Exclaimer. It's not terrible, can deal with all the different departments needing different legal crap, seems easy enough to set up. We finally got standard signatures because of CASL.

code:
Name
Team, dept
Company
Phone

Legal crap that's unenforceable, promises not to misuse your info, link to tell us to gently caress off, etc
All pulled from AD. That's the worst part, making sure AD is up to date. Adaxes with a web front end and a company policy of "Your info your responsibility" mostly took care of that.

I used exclaimer at my last job while I was still doing admin stuff, and it's awesome. You can set up tons of rules so that, for example, if you have someone that works in two departments, they can select which signature to send from with a tag anywhere in the subject or body (which is removed on send). So for example someone who is an admin assistant who handles HR could have all outgoing email have the admin assistant info unless they type *hr in the subject, in which case it gets the HR email signature.

It's super easy to set up, was DIRT cheap back when we bought it, and handles tons of stuff related to outgoing email.

EAT THE EGGS RICOLA
May 29, 2008

Bob Morales posted:

Just got yelled at about web browsers.

Owner got some message on some website about IE9 not being supported soon, showed him that he could use Firefox and it was already installed (which he uses for Pandora). He asked why can people use two web browsers, I told him we have some legacy stuff that doesn't work in newer versions of IE, he said that's bullshit and we neeed to choose one. Then he told me the story about a long time ago when his granddaughter was running the computer system here and people were using Microsoft Word and something else he can't remember the name of an he told her to pick one.

At least she chose Word.

At one point, I migrated a giant law firm from WordPerfect to Word. You would not believe how angry every single person there was about it.

EAT THE EGGS RICOLA
May 29, 2008

flosofl posted:

I can believe it. There were a ton of things in WP that were specifically aimed at legal documents. Word is missing some of that baked in, very specific functionality. If it happened without warning I'd be pissed as well.

At least you got some 3rd party tools and/or plugins to replace that functionality, right?

Eh, the firm's partners made the decision and they were told very well ahead of time about it. The lawyers/partners were happy, the admin staff had a meltdown.

We absolutely had a bunch tools/plugins that they used to generate letters from templates and stuff, the formatting was already handled for them.

EAT THE EGGS RICOLA
May 29, 2008

flosofl posted:

Then, "oh well". I'm sure they eventually adapted.

People were still whining about section breaks + page numbers forever, but yeah, when the firm's owners are the ones that announce it, then they can just deal with it.

EAT THE EGGS RICOLA
May 29, 2008

Japanese Dating Sim posted:

I've grown pretty fond of slack, though that probably doesn't scale particularly well and probably wouldn't work well if <ageist statement>.

Slack is awesome for relatively small teams. You can connect to a slack room through IRC or XMPP too, so even your hilarious nerd coworkers who don't want to switch clients can join in.

EAT THE EGGS RICOLA
May 29, 2008

Tab8715 posted:

Not that I'm opposed to dress codes but I'm glad a button-down or polo's with jeans is acceptable at my current gig.

I moved from client-facing stuff where I dressed up every day to software development, and now the two people that sit next to me wear a velvet cape and a kilt once a week or two, respectively, so I am the most well dressed person in the office even if I wear jeans and a t-shirt.

EAT THE EGGS RICOLA
May 29, 2008

Dick Trauma posted:

Consider it taken care of."
:) Thanks for the help! It's great to have support when we have to handle issues like these.

EAT THE EGGS RICOLA
May 29, 2008

skooma512 posted:

And yet if you ask these people they will otherwise completely insist they know nothing about computers, but swear on their mother's grave Macs are better. They're functionally identical to a PC in the user experience (for twice the price) and a complete headache on the backend unless you have built the infrastructure for it and don't rely on domains or exchange.

Thanatosian posted:

Pissing me off right now: the new touchpads Dell is using. They're all one piece, instead of separate buttons and pad. I mean, I hate touchpads on principal, but I've had a couple of users complain about them, and I was about ready to take a hammer to one when I had to use it briefly. Do they loving suck, or is it just me?

The literal only reason I use a Mac as a software developer is that the trackpad is super awesome. I haven't been able to find another brand of laptop that comes even close to being as good. All my work gets done in linux VMs anyhow so the host system barely matters at all.

EAT THE EGGS RICOLA
May 29, 2008

Antifreeze Head posted:

Clearly KSP is just an academic exercise in what things could be like on a round planet.

Would play KSP if someone modded it so that the earth was flat.

EAT THE EGGS RICOLA
May 29, 2008

Ozz81 posted:

She tried to backtrack and say that another member of her on site management had this scheduled out and notified us - when we asked him, he had no clue she'd even went ahead with anything, let alone what it was or was about.

My superior had this exact thing happen in a huge meeting and his reaction was "okay, one sec, let's just call the director up and check in with her" and the PM basically had a meltdown about how she was about to get called out as a liar in front of like 40 people. It was glorious.

EAT THE EGGS RICOLA
May 29, 2008

Woogles posted:

New bossman has decreed that we won't be using Ansible or Puppet for config management. Instead, he wants VM templates for different server types to be cloned as needed. Our estate isn't huge at the moment (20-30 servers) but I've argued that from consistency and security standpoints we should seriously consider using either or both of these technologies.

Trick him into using Desired State Configuration.

EAT THE EGGS RICOLA
May 29, 2008

Sefal posted:

I upgraded our 2 domain controllers from 2008r2 to 2012 R2. Thankfully I didn't need to use a rollback because it went without a hitch. But my rollback consisted of taking snapshots while the domain controllers were powered off. The senior IT guy recommended that method to me even though I asked him if I could just isolate the 2 old domain controllers.

I've upgraded domain controllers a few times and it's always weirdly stressful given how straightforward it is.

EAT THE EGGS RICOLA
May 29, 2008

MC Fruit Stripe posted:

Also that kinda touches on another idea - people either believe that namedropping the CFO (or any executive) will make others cower, or they honestly believe that the CFO is a single minded psychopath who will fire entire departments if his every whim isn't catered to.

I had a boss that was like this and any time his boss asked him to do literally anything I had to drop everything I was doing and finish it immediately. Boss's boss could not possibly have given less of a gently caress as long as I was communicative.

EAT THE EGGS RICOLA
May 29, 2008

pixaal posted:

Kind of want to put Quickbooks on a computer and crypto it and see if they'll pay the ransom.

Cryptolocker yourself but have the bitcoin wallet address be one that you control and see if they'll pay.

EAT THE EGGS RICOLA
May 29, 2008

It's for sure illegal but:

1) they're never going to realize what you did
2) See Arsten's post.

Edit: Actually I wonder if it would be illegal at all. "Oh yeah I have a cryptolocker thing on my computer and don't have the bitcoin to unlock it" is certainly not a lie in any way.

EAT THE EGGS RICOLA fucked around with this message at 14:36 on Jun 2, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

EAT THE EGGS RICOLA
May 29, 2008

Gounads posted:

Back when I was interviewing people, "Tell me a bit about handling dates" was a not-horrible proxy for experience level.

I just spent half a year dealing with 400 years of date data in Canada, which uses all three date formats.

Please never mention this again.