Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009

teethgrinder posted:

Hope you love running XP for the rest of the printer's lifespan.

Which is loving awful, because they could just make a simple usb->cdc driver, but NOOOOO that would be too loving easy. (I have made many of them.)

Things NOT pissing me off today: It's new razor day! :woop:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009
I cya so loving hard when it comes to emails. I archive everything that's plain text, and if there's a attachment, I download the attachment to the local server, and resend the email chain (once it's done) to myself without the attachment.

3 years worth of emails is less than 100megs. :smug:

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009

hihifellow posted:

Brought my boss almost to tears when I let her know that how bad she thought my one co-worker was and how bad he really is at his job is a lot different. All this because he copped an attitude over the fact I took care of two tickets for a group he'd been badly handling, which I then took to my boss on the recommendation from a few people I showed the angry texts to (don't get pissy with your coworkers over texts, especially when people are already tired of fixing your mistakes, seriously). Now she doesn't know what to do, the guy is so bad at his job it would take a gargantuan amount of classes and training to get him merely competent (though how do you teach a basic skill like "setting up a printer on the wireless network without hand holding") and she doesn't want to fire him, as outside of a few events like this he's a nice guy who gets along with everyone, even the worst of the users, and it would pretty much wreck him financially.

This is going to get really, really ugly before it gets any better.

This shouldn't be a issue. Give him a few weeks notice and let him go. The company comes first.

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009

hihifellow posted:

The biggest problem is we don't know where to start on improvement; I'm no help since I'm one of those "always been good at computers" nerds and he hasn't shown any ability to learn on the job. The only thing that comes to mind is something similar to a "computer/network technician" associates that the local community college offers, but that's two years of full time classes and he needs to get up to speed a lot faster than that.

I'm going to bring up transferring him to another department on Monday, though I'm not sure how well it'll go over; part of the problem is we're very tight on staff and pulling someone out of our ticket queue, even if they mess up half of them, is a blow.

And she hates the job description we got hired under, but she only inherited our department about 7 months ago along with our problem worker, and has yet to actually hire anyone else (budget concerns; last years was not good though our partner org easily covered it)

Some people have aptitude towards technology, some don't. If he is truly that bad, your company needs to transfer him or fire him.

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009

Humphreys posted:

I've always been of the opinion that a *nix GUI is just there as a pretty way to open the CLI :smugbert:

drat straight. I have three monitors at work. All three have CLI's open with gnome-terminal in gnome-shell. (Gnome Shell > KDE) :smug:

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009

MF_James posted:

Holy crap, that is ultra ignorant of them. I would load up angerfist, put the sub on the wall and the speakers facing their wall and put that poo poo on max volume. Bonus points if you put something like maniac killer on there, that will probably drive them to either A) go crazy or B) move out

Or you could just talk to them like normal human beings do?

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009
I ran into a gcc compiler bug, in 2013. :stare: I mean, sure it's a cross compiler gcc bug, but still. :stare:

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009

SolTerrasa posted:

I almost never believe anyone who says this. It's pretty much always something wrong with the code instead. Are you dead sure? If so, have you filed a bug report? Cause, like, they want to know about this sort of thing, and fix it. Cause, if so... :stare:

I was compiling the KERNEL.

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009

eithedog posted:

This. I guess I just doesn't register it anymore, but the situations where something had to be done for yesterday when client would see it, hmm, a month after taught me that deadlines don't exist. Oh, the client requested an import of products after the weekend? No worries, I'll just spend the weekend doing that. Oh, the products aren't the ones that he wanted and that really wasn't a necessity? And he'll deliver new products tommorow? But he doesn't expect, or does he? Just please tell me when it has to be done! This is me 3 months ago - right now I've taken the approach of "this is not my problem". While it's selfish, or maybe not responsible (in my book it's not being a team player), why the gently caress should I waste my life on other people being brainless.

I worked over the weekend to help rewrite a API for a week of regression testing to deliver by yesterday.

They pushed the date back a week so we could do more regression testing. :suicide:

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009

SubjectVerbObject posted:

The people I have seen who were really good PBX engineers and knew the back end OS stuff were either Linux Zen Masters or right wing gun nuts. I don't think they drank that much. If they got stressed they just shot something or reinstalled Slackware.

pfff. All the cool Linux guys moved to gentoo a long time ago. Slackware stopped being my goto distro several years ago. :v:

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009

evol262 posted:

Gentoo has been behind the times for years. Chef is still masked. RUBY_TARGETS constantly breaks portage. Use slack. Gentoo lost it when they stopped recommending stage1

To be honest; these days I use Ubuntu for most of my work not out of choice but out of necessity. Android only supports being built in Ubuntu and I am far to lazy to get it compiling in Fedora. :smith:

Crowley posted:

Was Slackware ever good?

(and not even the raving fanatics I keep for friends use Gentoo)

I started with Slackware in the early 90s. And I used it up until a few years ago. It works fine. I just like having a package manager these days.

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009

Negromancer posted:

As much as I fought it, I am converted to ubuntu server as well. It just drives me crazy since Ubuntu was originally started as a "easy to use" linux desktop offshoot of debian, but now they hold a pretty good share of servers. Part of me would rather just use debian, but ubuntu has more packages for it.

Part of me still loves CentOS, but they are so slow to update their official repo packages its a pain in the rear end.

Yeah, Cent is great if you are controlling domains or firewalls, but the packages it comes with are ancient and not well suited for stuff like Android source hosting or modern Bugzilla/php stuff.

Hopefully someday the Ubuntu certification won't be a laughing stock of Certs. :smith:

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009

Khisanth Magus posted:

I'm one of the developers who know how computers work, have built more computers than I can count, and could probably manage to land at least an entry level DBA job, and I still called tech support one time for something not being plugged in.

That phone call ended with me saying "and now excuse me while I jump off the building in shame" because I realized I had become one of "those" users. At least I really checked when the tech asked and didn't lie about it.

Just because you build computers doesn't mean you know how they work.

Once you deal with the turning on registers and dealing with watchdogs at the hardware level, then my son, you will know how a computer works. :smug:

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009
poo poo pissing me off for the last year: FGLRX.

200$ for a Nvidia card and a power supply for my PC at work? gently caress that! Use this Radeon instead! :suicide:

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009

Sirotan posted:

To harken back on a previous discusion,

http://www.theverge.com/2013/11/20/5126666/winamp-media-player-shutting-down-after-over-15-years

nooooooooooo :qq:

RIP all those whipped llama asses

Switched to Spotify a year ago and haven't looked back. :smug:

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009
A 486DX with a overclock chip was my first ever CPU that I myself owned.

The first family computer was a 8086. :allears:

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009

thebigcow posted:

How is that supposed to work with a heatsink?

What heatsink?

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009
I had a case fan and it provided enough air flow for my 486DX2 Overclocked to 133MHZ to work just fine thank you very much. :colbert:

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009
Things not pissing me off today: Shiny new boards to bring up! :woop:

Things REALLY pissing me off today: They aren't debug boards, and the client doesn't want to pay for debug boards, and my boss told me to just deal with it. :suicide:

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009

Powdered Toast Man posted:

First day at $newjob was good. I was given two brand new desktops, both with Core i5-3570K processors and 8 gigs of RAM...both with 27" 1080 monitors...one is for the limited Windows stuff we do, the other I could put whatever I wanted on. Yep, I'm liking this.

:swoon:

Are they hiring? I am desperately looking for another job and am willing to move. :smith:

Congrats though! It seems awesome!

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009

Rhymenoserous posted:

Airwatch MDM just changed their interface entirely and now I can't find anything :argh:

I'm in the middle of a deployment here!

Here: I made a application just for you so you can run it whenever you get the feeling you need to upgrade some software!

code:
#include <stdio.h>

typedef enum
{
	NotBuggy,
	BuggyInProduction,
	BuggyCloseToDeployment,
	BuggyNotCloseToDeployment,
	Count,
}BUGS;

typedef struct
{
	BUGS Bugs;
	unsigned int Drink;
} PRODUCTION;
PRODUCTION Production;

void do_the_needfull(void)
{

while(1)
	{
		Production.Drink++;
	}

}

int check_version(void)
{
	/* Insert Logic here. */
	return (Production.Bugs = BuggyInProduction); /* This is always the return value, ALWAYS. */

}

int main (void)
{

int i = 0;
	Production.Drink = 0;

while(1)
	{
	    int i = check_version();

switch (i)
	    {
		case NotBuggy:
			Production.Drink++;
			break;

case BuggyInProduction:
			Production.Drink++;
			break;
		case BuggyCloseToDeployment:
			Production.Drink++;
			break;
		case BuggyNotCloseToDeployment:
			Production.Drink++;
			do_the_needfull();
			break;
		default:
			Production.Drink++;
			break;
	    }
	}
        return 0;
}

Allman style for life. :colbert:

FlapYoJacks fucked around with this message at 18:14 on Dec 5, 2013

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009

Che Delilas posted:

That's when I have the almost irresistible urge to say something like, "Tell you what, I'll stop doing what I do here and we'll see how long it takes for things to fall apart," even though I know that I'm not really that invaluable. It's a pretty big drat coincidence how everything starts taking longer to do and at worse quality though, once some manager says something like that to me.

My boss has no idea what I do, and if I left the entire company would fall apart, because all of our projects run on embedded Linux and I am the only Embedded Linux guy here. My friend who does most of the programming knows enough Linux to get by, but without me he would fall apart as well. :v:

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009

EAT THE EGGS RICOLA posted:

You're an idiot.

No, I'm pretty sure it's you. :smug:

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009
Things pissing me off today? Myself. I swapped labels on a lvm volume today and freaked myself out wondering where all my poo poo went.

I also lost Gerrit. I know its there somewhere though. :v:

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009
Reguarding cars:

If anybody hasn't seen the horror that is Toyota's ECU/Drive By Wire system, you really should, because holy poo poo it is awful. It was so awful that they got sued and lost 3,000,000,000$.

Such horrible things are in the findings such as:
- No overflow protection.
- No ECC ram.
- Using a testing, unverified branch of the RTOS that was loaded onto their ECUs.

And probably the worst of them all? Servicing the watchdog with a IRQ. :stare:

http://www.edn.com/design/automotive/4423428/Toyota-s-killer-firmware--Bad-design-and-its-consequences

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009

Caged posted:

Was that an in house Toyota development or some garbage they bought in from a company like Visteon?

Does it really matter? The code shouldn't be like that ever.

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009

Caged posted:

Well if it's the latter then it will affect a lot more cars.

True, however a quick search for Toyota + ecu + Visteon shows up nothing, so I think it's just Toyota being poo poo heads.

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009

Caged posted:

I think that's what happens when the team who previously only wrote code for rain sensors or checking for failed lamps gets assigned to something important.

No, that's where management gets upset because the parts that engineering needs will cost 15$ more per ecu.

The entire thing reeks of cheap decisions to keep costs down.

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009
I like the temperature at 68F. That's what I grew up with, that's what my house is set too, that's what my boss sets the building to.

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009

Che Delilas posted:

I made the software to spec, whether it gets used is up to someone else. The good thing is that I learned quite a bit from the project and its postmortem, including how I would approach another situation like that.

This. This is what too many people in IT don't understand. They get too involved in their projects. You are paid to code, to set up systems, to manage networks. If those systems aren't used? Not your issue dude, just go on to the next project.

Once I learned this, my alcohol consumption went down 70% easily.

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009

Che Delilas posted:

I totally understand why people get too involved though. When you work on something for weeks or months and finally finish, you want people to appreciate that thing you did. When nobody does, it feels like all that time and energy was wasted. I actually think investment in your projects is a good thing. But when a project fails or doesn't get used, people focus too much on the fact that it failed, rather than why. If you focus on what you learned and how you grew as a professional during and after the project, its failure shouldn't get to you as much.

Exactly. That time and energy wasn't wasted because 1) You got paid for your time and 2) You *should* have learned something from the experience. If somebody appreciates what you did outside of the people who pay your paycheck, that's icing on the cake for sure.

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009

nitrogen posted:

Somebody pinch me.

One of the project managers from The Mothership is...

(god I can't believe i'm about to actually type this)

One of the project managers is managing a project adequately. She's asking questions to accurately predict a timeline, instead of just trying to determine one by fiat.

She is setting expectations for the client that needs something pretty urgently. These expectations are adequate and based in reality.

Look it dude, you don't have to lie on these forums to be cool OK? You can tell us the truth here, we are all friends.

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009

Che Delilas posted:

Because the new system was customized using the requirements we came up with together and you signed, this IS your signature right? Here on the list of requirements and mockup images?

If someone wants to blame me for other departments not using a piece of software, I would ask them what complaints they've had about the program, and I'll refer to the lack of support tickets about the alleged problems. If problems DO exist, I'll suggest a meeting with the people having problems so we can iron them out, provided the company wants to dedicate my time to fixing them. If the problem is something trivial that an office drone is being obstinate about, management is going to have to decide whether it's worth X hours of my salary to fix it, or if that drone needs to sack up and deal with it. Maintenance of internal software is absolutely my concern in a job like that, it's just that my self-worth is not defined by whether or not a project is a success.

If there are no problems and people are just being stubborn about using the new program, and somebody is trying to blame me, I'll affect delighted surprise that I was also the director of other departments all this time and didn't know it, and let's talk about re-negotiating my salary if that's the case, please!

Exactly this. CYA first, then you can drink to happiness; instead of anger later.

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009

Scikar posted:

I had that with my home desktop recently using an Atheros network card on Win7. Starting game updates on Steam would have a 50% chance of breaking my network adapter completely and only a reboot would fix it, even disabling and re-enabling it didn't work. I've updated my NIC driver since and the problem has stopped. It started out of the blue though so might be related to an MS patch or something.

Might be coincidental. It could be anything from a PWM dying in the card itself, or terrible drivers. Have you tried using a different port on the machine?

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009

potato of destiny posted:

Things currently pissing me off daily: "Since my computer was upgraded to windows 7, <thing that has nothing whatsoever to do with the upgrade>".

Also: People blindly forwarding them to me without, you know, troubleshooting. As if they were some kind of IT support professional or something.

This happens with cars as well.

Since you replaced my alternator my oil pan has started leaking oil!

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009
My wife works for a company that does applications for the ACA.

Today I learned that if they don't put in all the information in caps the process will fail, because they aren't converting their strings to caps. :suicide:

Also to search for any application they have to append wild cards to either side of the search query, or it won't find it.

Who loving programmed this pile of poo poo? WHO?

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009

anthonypants posted:

The lowest bidder, through several layers of sub-contracting.

It's so bad that I feel that it may be malicious.

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009

fluppet posted:

Should i be offended by a ~4% bonus?

This being the first time since escaping the public sector i have nothing for use as a reference.

Bonus or raise? Is it a bonus of your total salary for the year?

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009

fluppet posted:

Bonus, pay review is in march/april

I wouldn't be insulted with a bonus at all. That's pretty rad you got one! Congrats!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009

Ynglaur posted:

Pissing me off: I ask for a simple definition of one term in the context of a process. I get a 20 page PDF in reply. It does not even provide an answer.

Read: Every TI response ever to anything.