Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Gwaihir
Dec 8, 2009
Hair Elf

Guarantee this is because someone at adobe didn't update flash, and had their machine compromised.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gwaihir
Dec 8, 2009
Hair Elf

Lum posted:

WD Greens are fine when used for their intended purpose.

It's just the cheap bastards putting them into RAID controllers that give them a bad reputation.

I bought 6 2tb green drives back around December 2011, and only one of the original 6 is still working. The others all ended up in RMA land. (And no, they weren't in a raid array).

On the plus side, sent me 2.5tb drives for most of the replacements I guess.

Anecdote, etc, etc.

Gwaihir
Dec 8, 2009
Hair Elf

EAT THE EGGS RICOLA posted:

Rogue is notoriously awful about stuff like that, I'm pretty sure that's a relatively old posting.

No, it got pulled because a goon actually took that job :haw:
(It was a real posting)

Gwaihir
Dec 8, 2009
Hair Elf
I don't think the goon in question posts in SH/SC but he said it's pretty much everything you would imagine based on that post.

Gwaihir
Dec 8, 2009
Hair Elf

Sudden Infant Def Syndrome posted:

Oh look, half of the company's computers are using hardcoded HOSTs files.

:suicide::suicide::suicide::suicide::suicide::suicide:

Whaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaat

Gwaihir
Dec 8, 2009
Hair Elf

Bob Morales posted:

We have some software that runs on our iSeries that 'fixes' mailing addresses. Updates come on a loving CD-ROM.

Bob Morales posted:

I'm sure they do, that's my next step. I think the IBM guy here just likes being a 1980's mainframe operator and loading tapes and poo poo all day.

Wow it's like your actually my co-worker. I took over running the iseries from an old greybeard mainframe guy at my current job because he was sorta coasting and making noises about retirement. We used to get all of our system updates shipped on CD-ROMs no less, with an eventual upgrade to DVDs so we only got 10 a month instead of 40 of the fuckers. (They updates were shipped cumulatively so every time they sent something, they included all the pre-reqs).

I said gently caress that and just downloaded a single disc image from IBM's ftp, mounted it and installed from there.

Turns out mr. greybeard lost his rear end in the stock market because he's an idiot and spends all day trying his hand at day trading as his only retirement money, so he's going to be working longer than he thought. So he gets to deal with the day to day stuff again, and I just write utilities or automatic stuff when we need something new because writing programs gets in the way of him F5ing scott trade.

He went back to ordering the DVDs.

(We have two LPARS on the same physical hardware, which means they of course have a virtual 10 gig ethernet line between them. When we needed to move a file from one to the other he would back it up on to a tape and restore it to the other system :negative: )

Gwaihir
Dec 8, 2009
Hair Elf

Aunt Beth posted:

I laughed pretty hard at this guy and his dedication to tapes. I wasn't even aware IBM still shipped PTF's on DVDs to anything but secure accounts with no Internet access.

However, I am a Pedantic Polly and iSeries != mainframe. zSeries is mainframe, iSeries/pSeries/POWER is midrange. :eng101:

And 5 other names for the iSeries that they had for what seemed like 3 months then dropped :v:

We (not me, agency, I work at a state office) do have a real zSeries mainframe that gets used by offices nationwide too, but I don't even have an account /deal with that sucker.

Gwaihir
Dec 8, 2009
Hair Elf
I think you got them all! :cripes:

I think at least 3? ish of those name changes all happened within a 5 year period too. I started at my current place in 2009, and between the system here when I started and the 2 physical upgrades we've had since then, I think all three had different branded labels on the bezels.

Gwaihir
Dec 8, 2009
Hair Elf

Bob Morales posted:

We just call it "The IBM". Going to office-space the gently caress out of it when we switch to NetSuite.

Ebay that sucker, IBM Power systems hardware is $$$$$$ even old/used/out of date as hell.

Gwaihir
Dec 8, 2009
Hair Elf

Tab8715 posted:

Yes and no.

With the market and solutions available it's an acceptable time to at least consider moving off Midrange. I know of few companies that are booked for years to pick through COBOL and re-write it in .net or alternatively just get your midrange environment hosted and it's someone else's responsibility to maintain.

One of the biggest drawbacks is unlike literally every other technology company Midrange resources and training are behind lock and key. There's no Sybex, CBT Nuggets or SA Midrange thread but there is a mailing list! If you want to truly know what you're doing you need to shell out $4-$5k to an IBM Training Partner.

You'll also need your own lab and you can't spin up a midrange vm on your laptop.

That's true- And probably also why IBM themselves have been pushing just running Linux or AIX on the same Power midrange hardware. I don't really mind the i5/OS though personally. It's pretty damned easy to pick up so long as you aren't terrified of command lines or something. Even if you are (you bad) there's the GUI based iseries access stuff as well, even though it's not super great. And it has plenty of sysadmin/usability/automation tools built in. I'm a pretty big fan of the ability to trivially dump the output of all sorts of commands right to database tables, it makes some stuff that takes more effort on a windows environment much less hassle.

Gwaihir
Dec 8, 2009
Hair Elf

wa27 posted:

I had a long conversation with a user today that kept referring to the Ctrl and Alt keys as "central" and "alta". I tried to drop the words "control" and "alt" into the conversation as much as possible to see if she would catch on, but she just kept saying it.

This is the same woman who always says "Crisco" instead of "Cisco". It's almost like she's just messing with me, but I know she's not.

I have one of those. Instead of "Fiscal," it's "Physical." There was a guy that worked in our department named Geraldo, who was always "Gerardo." In a trait seemingly shared by literally everyone over 40, "Firefox" became "Foxfire".

The first one annoyed my boss so much that she (boss) actually sat her (serial english murderer) down and tried to get her to actually say fiscal. It was like talking to a small child.

Gwaihir
Dec 8, 2009
Hair Elf

Gyshall posted:

Kill All Sales and Marketing People

With printers and faxes.

Gwaihir
Dec 8, 2009
Hair Elf

Tab8715 posted:

How do you accidentally create a DHCP Server?

Either way, if I did and wanted to be a dick about I'd say something about how ole' reliable AS/400 makes a better DHCP than those Winblows boxes :dukedog:

Also, if you have software maintenance of the 400 you should be able to call IBM and ask general questions. Technically, they're only suppose to do break/fix but if your nice they'll help.

Easy, strtcpsvr (*all) :haw:

(What do you mean I only needed to start Telnet????)

((Also there's not a chance in hell a ptf just starts DHCP for you lmao))

Gwaihir
Dec 8, 2009
Hair Elf

Bob Morales posted:

Is there somewhere I can check to see if he manually did it? He installed some ptf's and did an IPL and then the problems started. He does an IPL like...weekly and this never happened before

Depends on what your system's settings are regarding saving job logs and spool files- Frequently they just get trashed on an IPL since otherwise they'd just build up and waste space.

If you want to inspect what he's done, sign on, type in wrkusrjob [his profile name here], and it'll show you all of his jobs, interactive or batch submissions. Look for the interactive one from whatever date it is you're interested in (They should be in order with most recent on the bottom, but you can use option 5->1 to look at the exact dates). Option 8 will show you the spooled files from any of those jobs, including the job log itself (QPJOBLOG). Use option 5 to display the log, then you can search for a STRTCPSVR (*ALL), (*DHCP), or (*AUTOSTART).

You can look at the DHCP server settings in system i navigator (network->servers->TCP/IP), right click DHCP, hit properties, and make sure it's not set to autostart. If it's never been configured at all, you won't even have a properties choice, and it will instead pop up a wizard to configure DHCP. You can also right-click here and go to server jobs, which should show you the exact time and date for any DHCP server jobs that were started, which should help you out.

It's very likely that his personal job log was trashed on IPL, but you can also look at the system operator messages: DPSMSG qsysopr, hit F4, and change the output to *print. Then you can hit wrksplf, display the output (It'll be called QPDSPMSG), and search (F16) for commands like STRTCPSVR. It will tell you which user submitted the command, along with the job and timestamp. The search is case sensitive though.
How long that message queue goes back though again depends on system settings.

Aaaand if that fails, you can search the master system log , QHST. DSPLOG, F4, and fill in your begin and end dates, then do the same *print output. This log absolutely persists through IPLs, but it also will be gigantic because it has literally everything in it.

e: If you haven't IPLed the system since he hosed things up, those job logs and spool files should all still be there. I'm obviously not a huge 400 grognard (I've been at my current place/used one for about 5 years) but I've never ever seen a PTF do something like magically configure and turn on a DHCP server- It explicitly starts unconfigured. Not to mention I stay as up to date as possible on PTFs and do them every month and my DHCP server never mysteriously turned on, so :v:
I actually just tried to start it manually on my test machine, and it literally will not start at all if you don't specifically go through and configure it first. So yea, smells like bullshit!

Gwaihir fucked around with this message at 20:07 on Mar 27, 2015

Gwaihir
Dec 8, 2009
Hair Elf
I thought it was super straightforward to pick up :shobon:

(It's a really really hand-holdy system if you don't know what you're doing, every command has built in prompting/lookup/help that works better than what you'd see in your general linux distro)

Gwaihir
Dec 8, 2009
Hair Elf
I just hit up fix central, look at the whatever the current levels are for the v7r1 stuff (Not on 7.2 yet) installed on my system (Cumulative /hiper/http/WMQ/DB2/etc) and if a newer one is available download the image and mount/install it.

I guess I should probably look at what actually goes in those things, huh?

Gwaihir
Dec 8, 2009
Hair Elf

Bob Morales posted:

Between Tim Hortons, the various gas stations in town, Burger King...McDonald's coffee really does taste the best out of those.

There's no 'real' coffeshop in the hicktown I work in.

Does your terrible greybeard 400 guy at least make coffee at work? Because that's about the only purpose mine has left :haw:

Gwaihir
Dec 8, 2009
Hair Elf

Maniaman posted:

DHCP (or lack thereof)

We support over 4000 devices. Static IP assignments for all of them!

Need to move one to your office to troubleshoot? Hope you switched the subnet right, or else you're wasting 10 minutes booting it up while it tries and fails to contact the domain controller because it's on a different subnet.

Can't use DHCP because "it's too unreliable." What if the DHCP server goes down? Then nobody can connect and we might have to have people reboot their computers.

Never mind the fact that we're running out of IP addresses in a bunch of subnets because everything is statically assigned and nobody updates the list when a system/IP is retired, so there's lots of IP assignments in the list that most likely don't exist anymore.

edit: the best part is we have a DHCP server (with like 5-10 available addresses in each subnet). If a device sits on a DHCP lease more than a week or two the network admins make us hunt it down and set a static IP for it.

This beats out speculum bucket laptop for most horrifying things I've seen in this thread.

Sorta by a lot actually.

Gwaihir
Dec 8, 2009
Hair Elf

Venusy posted:

Found out why my supervisor wants to remove DHCP from our branches: the branches are not trusted to power in their own workstations. So each morning, a huge script - a mess of PowerShell, netsh, and regexes - runs to grab workstation names, IPs, and MACs from DHCP, output to CSV, then uses that to send the Wake-on-LAN magic packet. Same CSV is then used to turn them off at night.

I'm not seeing anything in the WOL part of the script that needs the IP address. I think a static CSV of names+MAC would work if anything needs to be static.

Gwaihir
Dec 8, 2009
Hair Elf
poo poo that's not pissing me off: terrible AS400 greybeard coworker is retiring

:toot:

Gwaihir
Dec 8, 2009
Hair Elf

flosofl posted:

Was this the one with the mystery DHCP server, or am I thinking of someone else AS/400 greybeard?

That was Bob Morales I think. Mine miiiight be able to tell you what DHCP is if his life depended on it, but no guarantees.

Gwaihir
Dec 8, 2009
Hair Elf

Bob Morales posted:

My AS/400 guy is dumb as gently caress.

We just started a new division called 'ASC', for ABC Service Company. It's all anyone talks about.

He keeps calling it ASK. He also calls the file server (which is named FS1) ISF.

"There's an error on my screen saying ISF"

He was having an issue with a mapped drive.

It's funny how bad my helpdesk guy trolls him. "It says ISF? That's all it says? What do you think that means. Does it say anything else? You printed where? You did what with a Word file in Internet Explorer?"

It's in the file. There's a file that goes in. Its print to the file. The file. File.

He has never emailed the entire company using everyone@abc.com. You know, to announce things like system upgrades and such. So I ordered him to email everyone to let them know he was making some changes over the weekend.

He used some contact list from like 6 years ago that he had in Outlook. Of course, 2/3rds of the people on it don't even work here any more, and 2 of them are dead. HR blew a loving nut about that. :lol:

My counterpart to your dumb as400 guy just quit (He's moving to the Philipines to live out his fantasy of being doted on by women 40 years younger than he is because he's white) and it is a loving glorious day of me just being able to tear out, modernize and automate all his busted/hosed old crap without having to deal with bitching and moaning. The system itself is so easy to deal with and automate if you're even passably familiar with SQL, meanwhile he was still running programs relying on printing loving spoolfiles and parsing text out of the printout and jesus christ it's so dumb. We just got dinged on an audit because he supposedly had a program disabling accounts that hadn't signed on for 30+ days. Turns out that his program was in fact doing the opposite. Instead of looking for stuff older than 30 days and disabling it, it was looking for anything -30 days or newer, and enabling the account. I think my head was about to pop off when I dug that up a few days ago. (Luckily there was also a built in IBM function disabling idle accounts, but it was set to 60 days instead of 30.)

Gwaihir
Dec 8, 2009
Hair Elf

Eonwe posted:

im leaving an office job and starting my first IT job on Monday and my coworkers bought me a 12 pack of beer for the weekend

I'm gonna miss them :(

Once you start the IT job best upgrade that to 12 bottles of hard liquor

Gwaihir
Dec 8, 2009
Hair Elf

Bob Morales posted:

10-character usernames because AS\400

Would really love for these fucks to be able to sign in with their email address instead.

The 400 supports AD/Kerberos based single sign on!

(lolol j/k you'll never be able to use that based on your crazy 400 guy stories)

Gwaihir
Dec 8, 2009
Hair Elf
No, although I'd like to. Part of our 5250 based application needs access to the AS400's IFS from the user's workstation, which is accomplished by mapping ANY (guest/un-authed) connection to the IFS to a single 400 profile which has.. way too many permissions.

I think this calls for some experimenting on my test LPAR though.

Unfortunately in the end you still have to have a mapping table of AD accounts <-> 400 accounts if you need to do 1:1 relationships (Like for 5250 terminal use or something). If you just need application access or generic machine account type things it would probably be far less of a hassle. Still though, once it's done you only have to do that once, and then when you create a new user/delete a user.

e: drat, just looked at the date on the redbook for SSO and it came out in 2002 :stare:

Gwaihir fucked around with this message at 18:28 on Jun 9, 2015

Gwaihir
Dec 8, 2009
Hair Elf

Ynglaur posted:

This is why people buy packaged software.

lol if you think that's a single iota better.

Gwaihir
Dec 8, 2009
Hair Elf

RyuHimora posted:

poo poo pissing me off: updating Windows on 10 new laptops that say Pentium on them but are actually glorified Bay Trail Atom processors. The update process is pegging core 0, but apparently does not know how to mulithread, so it's only using 25% of a poo poo tablet CPU. At least it doesn't overheat at idle like my Intel ComputeStick does.

I'm getting real sick of Intel's monopoly on CPUs.

Wahh I bought cheap slow laptops and it's behaving like a cheap slow laptop Intel is the devil :jerkbag:
Pentium was dumped to be the poo poo tier low level "value" brand a long time ago, I don't know what you expected.

People crying about Intel is like the new "M$" or something.

Gwaihir
Dec 8, 2009
Hair Elf

Bob Morales posted:

I swear this is the dumbest company I have ever worked for.

End-user of our product calls customer service.

:v: "I need some work done on my device. I live in zip code 34567. Where do I go?"

:zombie: Let me look that up for you good sir. Your nearest dealer is XYZ Serivces at 999 Main Street in Bumblefuck, Kentucky.

:v: "Thank you!"

Next day:

:v: "Hello, I went to XYZ services, they have been out of business since 2007!"

So then it begins:

:zombie: Hey Bob, we have all these dealers that are no longer in business, but still in the system. Can we fix that?

:eng101: Sure thing. Let's just run a sales report for the last 2 years, any dealer that's not on the list, we'll delete them from the system

Nope. Can't do that. Not sure why. They want to either have someone spend a whole loving week calling like 1,000 dealers and verifying that they are open/closed, or have the person put the customer on hold for five minutes and hunt down some person who's only here 2 days a week to ask what the best dealer is in their area.

I feel your pain, keeping vendor files at all up to date is a never ending process. We have a lot of good tools for purging and checking outdated vendors, but it's still a full time job for a couple of people.

Gwaihir
Dec 8, 2009
Hair Elf

Bob Morales posted:

I really can't stand Chrome or Firefox blocking sites. Firefox is blocking a vendor site for some reason (top 5 retail chain in the USA)

OMG MY COMPUTER IS BEING ATTACKED

No it's not. Firefox is being a oval office.

OMG WHAT SHOULD I DO

Just click ignore and quit calling me

ITS DOING ON EVERY COMPUTER ARE WE GETTING HACKED

No. It's just Firefox. Use IE and it won't give you that message.

I'm short 2 people today so it's just me. Going to start drinking in a little bit.

Yea even IE will do that if you're using reasonable security settings. That's definitely in the "Feature, not a bug" category.

(Crossposting from AI because relevant: )

Gwaihir
Dec 8, 2009
Hair Elf

Bob Morales posted:

Spelling errors piss me off.

Old AS/400 guy consistently spells server 'sever' and first 'frist' in all kinds of configuration files, directory names, even server names.

It's like he noticed it after he set it up but was like "gently caress it let's roll with it and see how it goes"

You should mess with him, edit his terminal keyboard config files and swap 'i' and 'r' around.

Gwaihir
Dec 8, 2009
Hair Elf

socialsecurity posted:

Was standing in the server room once getting a mail server back up turned around and there were 3 women standing behind me in a line. First one makes me listen to her for 10 minutes about how important her e-mail is and she needs it back up right away, I explain to her that is what I am trying to do I need to focus on getting it back up. She leaves and the next woman who was standing listening the entire time walks up and starts explaining how important her e-mail is and she needs it back up right away. Third woman got the idea or else I would of had a meltdown, can't lock them out of there either as in this place the server room is also the pantry.

Fuuuuuuuuuuuuuck everything about that. (Both the standing around hassling you while working on it and the "Server room is also the food pantry holy poo poo")

Gwaihir
Dec 8, 2009
Hair Elf

Tab8715 posted:

Do tell.

When I'm not phone-posting I'll throw down my AS/400 Upgrade disaster and UUCP Outage.

Wanna hear this one!

Gwaihir
Dec 8, 2009
Hair Elf

Tab8715 posted:

Using Sharepoint as a AS/400 front end is a great idea!

:shepicide:

Gwaihir
Dec 8, 2009
Hair Elf

SIR FAT JONY IVES posted:

This is hanging on the wall in my office bathroom, it's also taped to the inside of each stall door.

I work on Wall Street. This is insane. The bathroom is disgusting.

This reminds me, my mom used to teach K/1/2 special ed. The bathroom in her classroom had a big sign on the inside of the door that said "The poop goes IN THE TOILET, not on the floor!"

Some adults bathrooms probably need that sign.

Gwaihir
Dec 8, 2009
Hair Elf

NeuralSpark posted:

110 responses and counting, with reply speed increasing. I'm going to graph it when it's done.

EDIT: Aww, they deleted the list

One of these epic chains happened for me a couple years back, with a list that had ~110k people on it. It took all day to calm down, but not before devolving in to some people outright trolling. Our state office aaaalmost managed to show restraint until one exceptionally dumb person just replied with a plain SHOUT OUT FROM (OFFICE X) LOLOLOL.

Gwaihir
Dec 8, 2009
Hair Elf

Caconym posted:

Oh, to work at a place where sev 1 incidents are so rare as to make this at all workable. :allears:

I have it good- normal Users can't choose a ticket priority, and even if they ask for a sev1 ticket it can/will only be used for issues that are bringing down entire sites. (Router is dead, whole site down. Vendor's software on the AS400 puked and corrupted some of their their un-journaled database tables, whole state is down :v: , etc. )

Gwaihir
Dec 8, 2009
Hair Elf

RFC2324 posted:

why is it redirecting to 0.0.0.0 instead of 127.0.0.1?

and why is it trying to redirect ports using the hosts file?

It seems like reddit is spreading a stupid and useless file around :ohdear:

Reddit is stupid and useless? WHY I NEVER

Gwaihir
Dec 8, 2009
Hair Elf
Hahaha, that owns. IBM continues to make ok platforms that seem like they only ever get the finest handcrafted pure and utter poo poo business software to run on them.

I've yet to run in to any system issues on mine at all- No broken updates, no OS problems, no hardware issue other than the odd HD failure. It even handled a "Whoopsie I accidentally the server room emergency power cut off button" incident without complaint.

Meanwhile, our sw vendor pushed a patch last month that ended up with corrupted data getting pushed out. It was a national issue, and they tried to sneak in a fix without anyone noticing three weeks later. They got called out on it finally just last week :cripes:

Gwaihir fucked around with this message at 17:05 on Aug 20, 2015

Gwaihir
Dec 8, 2009
Hair Elf

Bob Morales posted:

AS/400 'expert' old guy can't figure out why one of the webservers won't fire up. IBM Websphere (basically some IBM-hosed Apache install). The only thing running on that server is some stupid credit card processing software that we use internally.

:downs: Zend server 6 won't start up
:geno: Oh yea? Why not?
:downs: I don't know. I tried restarting it it doesn't work.
(I could hear him hammering on the keyboard for 10 minutes)
:geno: Okay, lets look at the logs. SSL error. Started at 2:30 when the service restarted
:downs: 2:30?
:geno: Yea you know 2:30 in the morning when you always restart poo poo? What'd you change yesterday?
:downs: What did I change? Uhhhh
:geno: Okay, let's look at the security certificate
:downs: oh yea security (he always calls https 'security')
:geno: Look at this. The self-signed certificate you created when you installed the credit card software expired yesterday
:downs: okay so what do we do
:geno: get the docs out and generate a new one
:downs: the other sites are up
:geno: yea we have real certificates from go-daddy for like 3 years. Why the gently caress are you still standing here go fix it!

1 hour later, no new certificate yet. Not sure if he can't generate a new one, replace the old one...hoping he fucks the whole configuration up in a way. Maybe if we can't run credit cards for the whole day people will start asking why. I could fix it in 5 minutes but I'm not the AS/400 guy and it's not super-essential as long as we can bill orders at the end of the day. Going to make him sweat until at least lunch.

Actually reading logs and error messages qualifies you as a wizard, I'm pretty sure.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gwaihir
Dec 8, 2009
Hair Elf

Bob Morales posted:

AS/400 that the company runs on was froze up this morning.

The backup tried to run but it still had Friday's tape in it (since Monday was a holiday) so the whole thing just locks up until someone changes the tape. :haw:

Since my loving moron admin can't fix it I'm having an outside consultant do it.

Do you not have a tape library or something?

(But really given your past posts I'm going to put my money on "Old dumbass admin has it set up completely incorrectly" since there's no way not having a tape available should cause the system to just sit there with it's thumb up it's butt. If I try and run a backup without tapes available it starts, tries 3 times to find a tape and when that fails just ends and reboots normally)