Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Paladine_PSoT
Jan 2, 2010

If you have a problem Yo, I'll solve it

poo poo that I come across daily that pisses me off: having to go through hundreds of posts in a ticket came in because we merged threads.

gently caress PRINTERS

Paladine_PSoT fucked around with this message at 22:22 on Sep 25, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Paladine_PSoT
Jan 2, 2010

GargleBlaster posted:

Oooo, is this allowed and stuff and the powers that be aren't going to get pissy and close it?
(Yay not feeling like everything needs to be changed to 'uh... a person came in'.. it was worth it for the puppy though)

I see your printers and raise you label printers.

I still don't know what happened to the puppy.

Also I didn't ask, really. I just made it because that thread was out of control.

Paladine_PSoT
Jan 2, 2010

Today's google doodle is affecting production.

Paladine_PSoT
Jan 2, 2010

Sirotan posted:

Get into work this morning, turn the corner to get into my cube and...

Spiders. Everywhere.

Well ok plastic spiders but I certainly let out a gasp when I saw them and thought they were real for about a split second. Now I have to think of a suitable counter-prank...

How much do you know the intimate fears of the intended target and how much deep rooted psychological damage do you think would be appropriate?

Paladine_PSoT
Jan 2, 2010

I think I've bitched about this before, but I'm going to do it again.

You remember the end of Braveheart, where Wallace is dragged in on a cart, has rotten food thrown at him by a hissing crowd, then is gruesomely tortured in public before being executed and having his body parts shipped to the corners of the world to serve as a reminder? We need to do that to the shitlord who invented embedding advertising links in web page backgrounds.

Paladine_PSoT
Jan 2, 2010

teethgrinder posted:

The last one I bought for home was 2007. I would have probably been better off with 2010. I got 2013 because I used my old student email address for a massive discount.

Frankly the only thing that keeps me in the Microsoft system for home is OneNote. I love that programme so much, and Evernote just isn't as good. I haven't actually set up OneNote to work with SkyDrive, so I just paste anything I need remote access to into free Evernote.

OneNote on Skydrive is awesome.

Paladine_PSoT
Jan 2, 2010

TWBalls posted:

Speaking of which, did we ever figure out the Bottle Opener/flash drive thing? I don't recall a post on collecting payments so they can be ordered.

The problem was that the order size greatly outgrew my capacity to pay for it up front. We can still do it, we'd just need to either

a: Follow up, figure out how many people will commit, then do pre-order collection
or
b: I can hand the information off to someone more financially able to front for the production then collect and send.

Paladine_PSoT
Jan 2, 2010

Caged posted:

I wouldn't expect to get one any other way than paying before the order is placed, if you take a list of names and then place an order you'll be chasing people for money that is never going to arrive.

81 of the 114 responding wanted 32g drives, so that's what they would have to be (cant split sizes).

I'll price good shipping methods/costs, then send everyone an email sometime next week and set something up.

Paladine_PSoT
Jan 2, 2010

I was thinking an SA grenade, but gently caress printers sounds MUCH more fun.

Paladine_PSoT
Jan 2, 2010

n0tqu1tesane posted:

At least under the battery they're less likely to rub off and become unreadable after a year or so.

Unless they're thermal ink...

Paladine_PSoT
Jan 2, 2010

Crowley posted:

They're called cloverleaf? Over here it's called a Mickey Mouse plug.

If you call it that over here, Disney sues.

Paladine_PSoT
Jan 2, 2010

Cross posting the poo poo out of this:

:frogsiren:BOTTLE OPENER ORDER FORM:frogsiren:

We can't split orders between sizes, and everyone OVERWHELMINGLY chose 32g, so we're going with that. Price would be $23.45 plus shipping if we got at least 25, to $18.45 plus shipping if we got over 100.

Timeline:
Close out form for orders Nov 1st
Collect payments by Nov 7
Create final order and submit by Nov 11

If all goes well, you should get it in the mail in the first two weeks of December (Domestic). I will work with international recipients.

PM with questions.

BTW: We can only pick one design, so this is a vote. Winning one will be ordered.

Paladine_PSoT fucked around with this message at 22:11 on Oct 23, 2013

Paladine_PSoT
Jan 2, 2010

Bottle-opener chat has moved to http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3576580

Paladine_PSoT
Jan 2, 2010

teethgrinder posted:

Oh god. My old job did this. Everyone involved cheaped out and so I was futilely stuck supporting netbooks and bottom-rung big box store desktops. The company gave them like $200 to buy their own, and they naturally just bought poo poo.

"It's slow"

Paladine_PSoT
Jan 2, 2010

Fil5000 posted:

The point is that you should be getting the higher rate only on what you earn over the threshold. Earning more money over that threshold should not make you worse off, only less better off than you might have been.

Technically, it *CAN* happen on a single or a few paychecks under the right conditions, and those conditions are based on poor calculations and assumptions on the payroll processor's end. You still end up getting the money back at the end of the year, but the paycheck can be lower. Again, this is because of poo poo processing algorithms.

Paladine_PSoT
Jan 2, 2010

HalloKitty posted:

In a progressive taxation system, once you go over a "threshold", money earned above that point is taxed at the higher rate.

The money below that threshold is taxed at the original rate.

It's pretty basic stuff. Having ALL your money taxed at a higher rate just because you earnt more would be ridiculous.

While this statement is theoretically correct, in practice the taxes you pay annually are a result of an assumed annual income based on the total that you're making that week, IE if you make $1000 per week, taxes will be generally taken out at (taxes on 52k)/(paychecks in a year) and you should be left with a balance of 0 +/- deductions, credits, fines, etc. In practice, systems can have problems if they base estimation on things like a rolling 5 paycheck average or some other system, or if you're normally exempt and would lose nothing to taxes and the OT pushes you over the exemption thus causing the entire check to be taxed at cost. Entirely dependent on the way that the taxes are calculated, which is up to the payroll processor because the only legal mandate is that you get relatively close to it quarterly, method of calculation is left to the processor.

Paladine_PSoT
Jan 2, 2010

GargleBlaster posted:

Ah the pitfalls of sticking to a dirt cheap good-for-nothing antivirus for so long where the application hasn't been updated for over 2 years (took long enough to get a Windows 7 compatible version) and is threatening to disappear altogether. Now the boss has *finally* seen the light and stopped worshipping this crappy AV and is proposing to switch to another. But the problem is, the total annual cost for the lovely one is £200 and the total cost for every other in the world is ~£1000.

This of course led to a quick discussion with our line director, the finance guy. (Same one who refused to give me a rise after 5 years service, adoption of various additional projects and a glowing performance review). Who was horrified at the idea of a 5x increase in cost and says no, let's wait it out and see if something "presents itself".

Then he asked about the feasibility of pirating one :eng99:

I know we're in financial difficulties, but geez. Still, this is the guy who is paid about 3-4x what I am, but borrows IT's ~10 year old digital camera every weekend because he's too tight fisted to buy his own.

At a previous place of employment, the AV policy was "download a copy of AVG free if you need anti-virus".

Paladine_PSoT
Jan 2, 2010

sanchez posted:

He could be both helpdesk and guy who legitimately goes to the machine room and the users expectations are a little off, something the boss can fix.

It's worth noting that in the original rant, he mentions setting DnD after several attempts at being contacted. If they were set from the beginning I'd agree someone trying to break through and complaining that they can't get the attention of someone is probably an expectation issue. Setting DnD after they've tried to get your attention repeatedly without a quick "Dude, busy, call back in 20" is a dick move.

Paladine_PSoT
Jan 2, 2010

Bottle opener update

Read thread, it gets better at the end.

Paladine_PSoT
Jan 2, 2010

So are we doing a SH/SC secret santa?

Paladine_PSoT
Jan 2, 2010

Carpet posted:

Well son, you obviously don't know computers if you can't use DIP switches to manually set IRQs, like in the good old days

Thanks for the PTSD.

gently caress Modems, the precursor to gently caress printers.

Paladine_PSoT
Jan 2, 2010

gently caress trying to make emails look nice on multiple platforms.

Looks nice on Windows RT
Looks nice on iOS
Looks nice on Android

Pick 2 of 3.

Paladine_PSoT
Jan 2, 2010

Zamboni Apocalypse posted:

Feh, that's easy.

Text.

Plain text. No colors, fonts, pictures, fancy "stationery", gimmicky formatting, nothing but text.

(/me is easily pleased. :wal:)

Want all that crap? Create a document and attach it, let the recipient save/open it with the proper program. (And maybe scan it first, in case of Cryptolocker_delivery.PDF.exe or something.)

Subject: New beta out

gently caress!
How long's it been since we did one of these, 6 months? It should still be fresh in your memory, so go download the new beta and do surveys or something. Forgot already? Here's the link:
http://www.fweemster-twirple.com/heppledork/sockittomesockittome@fe.fi/fo.fum

Don't mistype that, you may launch nuclear missiles against norway, or some poo poo. Anyways, go do it. I'll check survey responses after my hangover wears off.

Want the pretty version of this? Click here <not cryptolocker link>

ME
lovely incomprehensible title
email address that may or may not get you on another spam list

Paladine_PSoT
Jan 2, 2010

Humphreys posted:

I'm betting there are some OCD folk out there just hating that and wanting to make all the black squares a perfect diagonal line.

There's me fuming over the fact that COM ports are broken out individually instead of COM1/3 IRQ4 and COM2/4 IRQ3. Putting them all on their own IRQ is madness! That's valuable resource space!

Paladine_PSoT
Jan 2, 2010

SammichBacon posted:

Today, I fixed a device that had the problem noted in sharpie on a piece of duct tape..."BAD SD CARD." Sure enough corrupt. Made sure that I was last person to send box of 1,000 pre-formatted SD cards to client. Called and sent device back and closed ticket after confirming they still had several hundred cards remaining. WHY WASTE MY TIME AND OUR RESOURCES ON YOUR LAZINESS. Oops caps lock rage there sorry.

Kinda dip-switch related: Which CPU (Is that even correct?) allowed you to unlock capabilities via well placed graphite from a pencil? Ok, not related. But still neat.

I've had motherboards with jumper controlled FSB/Multiplier before. Those were fun.

Paladine_PSoT
Jan 2, 2010

rolleyes posted:

To resume the earlier chat about having a common firstname.lastname@gmail.com address:

Dear Person With The Same First Name As Me But An Entirely Different Surname,

Congratulations on managing to land yourself an interview! In future, please remember to get your name correct when specifying the email address your prospective employer should send a psychological/personality assessment test to. Since I have no other contact details for you, I have taken the trouble of replying to the email to let the hiring company know of the error. Having failed the fairly basic filter of 'candidate should be able to remember their own name' I think your :yotj: attempt might not get too far on this occasion, but you never know.

Regards,
Me.

You received someone else's psych profile exam and didn't set it to slobbering psychotic?

Paladine_PSoT
Jan 2, 2010

Bob Morales posted:

PC speaker has always been 'just a buzzer'. And there was never 'PC speaker music'

Yeah, they've always been buzzers, but the frequency has always been modulateable. Old dos-based games pre-sound card era definitely took advantage of this. Hell, I had a piano program that would play tones over the PC-speaker on my 8088.

Kings quest had a whole soundtrack that played over this, and they even tried to give the ogres and whatnot voices by doing rapid modulation of the frequency to make it sound like they were talking.

Paladine_PSoT
Jan 2, 2010

HalloKitty posted:

The link on that Wiki is great. A treasure chest of PC speaker at far beyond the designed purpose.
http://www.oldskool.org/sound/pc/#digitized

I would always take the proper large speaker from my older PCs to my newer ones. Toss away those silly piezo buzzers that came with cheap later cases. Well, not any more of course, boards come with them onboard or not even at all, and now you'd have no use for it. DOSbox can emulate PC speaker anyhow.

I wonder if PWM still works natively... Mute doesn't effect the onboard pc speaker, so I just got an idea for a hilarious prank.

Paladine_PSoT
Jan 2, 2010

AT E1Q0V1X4 &C1 &D2 S0=0 S11=34

Paladine_PSoT
Jan 2, 2010

Bob Morales posted:

Don't forget M0 we don't want to wake up the baby with 100 decibels of modem-dialing. Unless you're a scrub who didn't have an external modem with a volume control.

S0=0 shuts off the modem speaker :colbert:

Paladine_PSoT
Jan 2, 2010

Bob Morales posted:

You sure?

Mn : Speaker Control
Sn : Select a Specific S Register

That's right, M1 was volume 1, it would take 0 through 4 with volume off. S0=0 meant don't answer the phone.

Paladine_PSoT
Jan 2, 2010

Phantom of the floppera

Paladine_PSoT
Jan 2, 2010

n0tqu1tesane posted:

You can use powershell to play music/make sound using the PC speaker:

http://jeffwouters.nl/index.php/2012/03/get-your-geek-on-with-powershell-and-some-music/

Holy poo poo the next time my test lead goes into the server room, remote powershell and I are going to have a party. I just need to find out where in the room the machines are so I can do the theme from jaws circling around him.

Paladine_PSoT
Jan 2, 2010

GargleBlaster posted:

Don't you 'SET' me! :stonk:

Get back in your DMA channel!

Paladine_PSoT
Jan 2, 2010

guppy posted:

I called one of my users to follow up on something from earlier in the week; his secretary answered, as expected. She immediately launched into a description of her problem. If you are now confused, you know how I felt. I didn't know she had a problem, she didn't call me or ask if she could ask me a question while I was on the phone, and I had called about something completely unrelated. She began describing her hitherto-unknown problem -- that she didn't know how to use a Word feature, basically -- before I could actually tell her why I'd called.

Not really an issue, and I was able to help her, but seems awfully rude.

Telepathic ticket filing is now a thing in her head. You WILL be blamed for failure to respond when she thinks of a new problem from here on out. Enjoy.

Paladine_PSoT
Jan 2, 2010

Lum posted:

SET GARGLE=TCP

For the Americans who probably won't get this joke: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Trichlorophenylmethyliodosalicyl

Wikipedia posted:

Care should be taken not to swallow TCP. If one starts to feel unwell after using TCP, one should see a medical practitioner immediately. TCP should not be used on cats

Best warnings ever.

Paladine_PSoT
Jan 2, 2010

Volmarias posted:

That formatting info is occasionally useful however, and outlook isn't the only thing with rich clipboard support.

Take a look at http://stevemiller.net/puretext/

Good god how have I gone all my life without this

Paladine_PSoT
Jan 2, 2010

GAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH gently caress PRINTERS!

It would be easier to address all these loving thumbdrives by hand.

Paladine_PSoT
Jan 2, 2010

Trastion posted:

No one else commented on this but does this mean that you already have our thumbdrives on hand? If so I want to see a picture of a big rear end box with all the drives in it.

Nope, the transfers from paypal and google just came through so I'm doing the banking to pay the order today. I do, however, have the big rear end list of people who paid and their addresses, and a crapton of envelopes, so I'm getting that all done before I receive the boxes. Pictures will be posted in the thumbdrive thread when I get them. The scale is pretty huge.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Paladine_PSoT
Jan 2, 2010

Sickening posted:

let the sales people handle all the lying.

Now THIS is a great thread title.