Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

MisterOblivious
Mar 17, 2010

by sebmojo

underlig posted:

User brings it to me 30 days after he first told me about it, i reset it, update it, call Apple who wants me to give them a cc number before they'll fix it, then they tell me it went out of warranty 8 days earlier.

The "genius bar" workers have a bit of discretion when it comes to slightly-out-of-warranty replacement. It might be worth having the guy bring it in and asking if they can fix the month-old problem.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MisterOblivious
Mar 17, 2010

by sebmojo

Ephphatha posted:

Are you in a right-to-work state? (Whatever the one is where you can quit with no notice). 'Cause if so it looks like he's indicated a days notice is plenty.

That's At-Will employment no matter how many times the talking heads call it right-to-work.

MisterOblivious
Mar 17, 2010

by sebmojo

Return Of JimmyJars posted:

I'm one of two IT people in a 55 person office, the other being my boss the "it director". Yesterday I made a suggestion that we virtualize some old hardly used servers to clear up space in our server room since they're all old rear end tower servers sitting on an old office desk stacked floor to ceiling.

His response was "NO IF WE COMBINE MULTIPLE SERVERS INTO ON THERE IS A BIGGER RISK OF THEM GOING DOWN, TOO RISKY CANT DO IT"

He also asked me the other day what bash was. We have about 100 linux systems in the office...

airplane rule: n.
“Complexity increases the possibility of failure; a twin-engine airplane has twice as many engine problems as a single-engine airplane.” By analogy, in both software and electronics, the rule that simplicity increases robustness. It is correspondingly argued that the right way to build reliable systems is to put all your eggs in one basket, after making sure that you've built a really good basket.

MisterOblivious
Mar 17, 2010

by sebmojo

President Ark posted:

Yes, we tried every command that force-ejected the disk. You could hear the mechanism trying but the problem was the case over the drive was physically warped and the disk was catching on it before it got far enough out for tweezers to catch it.

I still don't know why the drive wouldn't read/recognize the disk, we wound up using an external to reset the password.

You can't figure out why a drive that's physically warped and broken is having problems reading a disc. For some reason that's Apple's fault?

MisterOblivious
Mar 17, 2010

by sebmojo
Ask Me About Surveillance and Security Cameras! (And Other Security Topics)

MisterOblivious
Mar 17, 2010

by sebmojo

Volmarias posted:

I worked at a place until I had stomach pains and hoped that it was another kidney stone, so that I would have to go to the hospital and could miss work.

Now I work at a wonderful company where I shoot rainbows out of my kidney instead of rocks.

Nth-ing the "get out, now" suggestion. If your job makes you physically uncomfortable, it's time to go.

sfwarlock posted:

My touchstone for that has always been the time I rolled past a really ugly wreck on the freeway and my first thought was "That lucky bastard doesn't have to go to work tomorrow."

I had a couple of ride-sharing work mates decide to point the car at a ditch and hit the gas to get out of work. Had to call a tow truck to get it out of the snow. They said it was money well spent.

MisterOblivious
Mar 17, 2010

by sebmojo
They're also useful for those "Install this spyware and get free F2P gold!" offers some companies have.

MisterOblivious
Mar 17, 2010

by sebmojo

Laphroaig posted:

You should spring the extra $20 and pick up this bad boy.

That's a TracFone. I only see one $20 Straight Talk phone.

CitizenKain posted:

For a fun time, look at what phones are for sale on StraightTalk's plan for under $20 dollars.

I did last week while looking for a cheap "phone" to use for gps tracking (strava) and navigation while mounted to bike handlebars.

You may as well pitch in the $10 and get the only one running KitKat.

MisterOblivious
Mar 17, 2010

by sebmojo

quote:

You understand that the job is yours. . .until you fail or I find somebody better.

"I need a corporal. You're it until you're dead or I find someone better."

MisterOblivious
Mar 17, 2010

by sebmojo

skooma512 posted:

I hate the daily half hour negotiation over where to eat for lunch. People shoot down suggestions and wjen you ask what they want, they say they don't know.

I'm starting to bring my own lunch today. Im tired of spending 8 to 10 bucks a day on mediocre food.

"Why does this Indian buffet serve General Tso's Chicken?" he asked
I reply "There's always one giant manbaby in the group that will veto every lunch suggestion you make, while refusing to suggest a restaurant, until you finally guess what he's in the mood for that day."
---
"Look, they serve Chinese food there. We know you eat Chinese, are you coming or not?"

MisterOblivious
Mar 17, 2010

by sebmojo

ConfusedUs posted:

Holy poo poo.

If you enjoyed that, you may enjoy this deposition. It's way, waaaaay more infuriating than the photocopier dramatization.

Trigger Warning: Bitcoin

Just to give you an idea how ridiculous this transcript is, the question below is whether or not he's related to his brother, the target of the investigation:
Q: Are you related to Homero Joshua Garza?
A: I don't understand this type of law. I'm very scared. I'm eager to help in any way I can, but it would have to be under advice of counsel. I can't afford counsel at this time so you guys would have to appoint me counsel.

That answer was given many pages after he's been told it's a civil matter and counsel will not be provided.
(you're not entitled to a court appointed lawyer if you haven't been criminally charged and certainly not when during depositions in somebody else's case and really super-certainly not when you're being deposed in somebody else's civil case.)

There are 64 pages of of him answering every question like that.
https://mega.nz/#!IZ4QABQa!XXKz_ar4i1DmE_TkqcUVw-cBdImFeU0gpR3Ah51fSlA
1-4.pdf is the deposition

Q: So, let me just get this straight. You're refusing to even answer questions concerning whether you worked for the company; is that your position today?
A: I'm very scared. I don't understand this type of law. I'm willing to comply, but I'd have to have and attorney present,. As I said, I can't afford one at this time.

Q: Mr. Garza, has somebody instructed you to provide that answer to us today?
A: I'm extremely scared. These are my feelings. This is my lack of knowledge. I'm more than willing to help, but I'd have to have an attorney present. And as I stated I can't afford one at this time.

64 loving pages.

MisterOblivious
Mar 17, 2010

by sebmojo

Potato Alley posted:

Certain people who may or may not be related to me used to record operas off FM radio to VHS. To SLP of course because then he could fit an entire opera on one tape. To clarify, there was no video, because, y'know, radio. He was recording just audio, off FM, to VHS.

:suicide:

What he's doing isn't unheard of or nearly as weird as you'd imagine. Hi-Fi VHS is capable of recording some very high quality audio, comparable to CDs with the right gear. It probably sounds better than his cassette deck and, yeah, looooooooooooong play time compared to cassettes.
Broke musicians used them as mixdown recorders for multi-track audio before DAT decks became widespread.

MisterOblivious
Mar 17, 2010

by sebmojo

Potato Salad posted:

An element in repairing problems caused with misunderstandings with VMs in those days involved attaching a usb disk drive to the hypervisor, running an ancient clonezilla live cd, and loading the VM up on (person)'s laptop once the VM was transfered to another usb external drive.

I can't make this up.

I've tried to understand this but your username and avatar seem to be an accurate description of the problem.

MisterOblivious fucked around with this message at 16:15 on Nov 30, 2015

MisterOblivious
Mar 17, 2010

by sebmojo

Mr. Clark2 posted:

I have a conundrum: The software ("i-cens") that our security people use to view/access video streams from our security cameras is complete poo poo. The PC that it's currently running on is on it's last legs and needs to be replaced. I figured 'hey, I'll just install this crap on another PC and we'll be good to go'. Nope, the software will install, but when it connects to our lovely chinese dvrs (made by some company called Eyemax), the streams just show up as black squares. The streams are working perfectly fine when viewed through a browser, but that aint good enough for the security staff, they dont want to learn anything new and the browser window doesnt let them view enough cameras at once. The funny thing is, when using i-cens, you can look at past recordings and they show up perfectly normal, the problem only happens with the live streams. I've installed the software on 3 different PCs, all with the same result. I've contacted Eyemax and they pointed me to a fix (copy a provided .ini file to c:\windows, overwriting their existing one) but it doesnt fix poo poo.

So, as a result of this lovely software I have been tasked with either making the existing software/DVR work or pricing another solution to replace these lovely DVRs. Unfortunately, I know absolutely nothing about cameras/DVRs and their associated software (I'm a Windows/network admin). I've been given no budget, so that doesnt help. I've started looking at IP cams and some of the solutions that Ubiquiti offers since I'm familiar with their wifi APs, but since I dont know the first thing about this stuff, I'm not really sure where to start.
Can anybody offer up some recommendations or some advice about this stuff? We've currently got about 25 cameras and we definitely need to have recording capability.

KillHour does that sort of thing: http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3547030

MisterOblivious
Mar 17, 2010

by sebmojo

Wrath of the Bitch King posted:

You have to remember that there are still loads of places where IT is looked at as a miserable center that adds nothing to the business but operating expenses.

That's 100% wrong, obviously, but it's the kind of myopic vision that management and executives out-of-the-know can have. From what I've noticed it's prevalent in the 50+ years of age bracket more than anywhere else.

Brings us right back around to earlier today when "power is out, grab an extension cable, IT closet isn't on generator power WHY?!"

MisterOblivious
Mar 17, 2010

by sebmojo

Arsten posted:

You're right. Federal law doesn't require break times, but if break times are provided (like state laws require you to do) they mandate the breaks be paid and the lunches to be unencumbered if unpaid.

I hate reading laws.

Contrary to what you wrote earlier, an "unencumbered" lunch break does not mean you have to be allowed to leave the premise unless state law (Nebraska, Washington) requires it. My state went to far as to write that into the statute.

MisterOblivious
Mar 17, 2010

by sebmojo

anthonypants posted:

It's literally pooled PTO+Sick, but they're given more sick days than PTO days. Pooled sick time + PTO is bad.

No, it's not "literally pooled PTO+Sick."

PTO+Sick is waaaaaaaay better than what he's being stuck with.
If he gets sick before a planned vacation he'd have to use PTO first to cover his flu/sick days, therefor burning up his PTO hours and loving his family out of a vacation.
Yet he'd still have sick days remaining.
Better plan the family vacation for January!

"PTO before sick days" is incredibly worker hostile and ensures everybody is going to show up to work as sick as possible so they can take vacation latter in the year.

MisterOblivious
Mar 17, 2010

by sebmojo

SwitchbladeKult posted:

Two quick stories related to elevators and toilets.

In my building people love to stand right up against the elevator door. The second the door opens they push their way inside refusing to let those already in the lift get out!

I do the opposite at home: I love standing nose-to-door and barging out the moment it opens. Sometimes backwards without looking if I've got a handcart full of groceries. I don't care how loving goony it is; I'll plow through assholes who don't understand that A: don't stand in front of the loving doors and B: you let people out before you get in. I'm 6'4", overweight, and pushing a bicycle out of the elevator: I'm exiting the elevator before anybody boards it. Period. I live on the last floor so until they let me out the elevator isn't moving.

MisterOblivious
Mar 17, 2010

by sebmojo

flosofl posted:

You clearly don't like math or science.

Their response to Scott Helme's brutal takedown is... incredible.
https://www.nomx.com

quote:

On April 26, nomx provided an email to the blogger from the nomx device with details and requested he hack the nomx device that submitted the email. These emails were also submitted to several interested media, including the BBC, who validated that the device was active and sending/receiving email. The blogger had previously claimed he could compromise the device “in a matter of minutes” but was not able to perform any such feat at any time. In fact, the blogger was not able to do anything at all, counter to his claims that he could, or that others could, and that it was very easy, and that it would affect nomx’s security.

Scott Helme posted:

Will did email me from a nomx device, so of course it went right to spam. As such I didn't read it or reply: pic.twitter.com/JTRA0Fzh0q

I first heard of their invitation from others and couldn’t find any such thing having been sent to me. I did later have the idea to sift through my junk mail though and found it there. I publicly posted a screenshot of the email he sent and their statement less than 12 hours later. In the briefest of windows he (apparently) setup this device for me to test, extended the invitation, got no response, pulled the device offline and released the statement you quoted below.

MisterOblivious
Mar 17, 2010

by sebmojo
Montana, not Minnesota.

MisterOblivious
Mar 17, 2010

by sebmojo

bull3964 posted:

You should tell them all it's been remotely disabled and be the hero of everyone's Friday night.

Wow

https://www.theguardian.com/technology/2017/may/13/accidental-hero-finds-kill-switch-to-stop-spread-of-ransomware-cyber-attack

MisterOblivious
Mar 17, 2010

by sebmojo

anthonypants posted:

What the gently caress

According to the Minnesota Supreme Court the law here is "whatever company policy or the employee handbook says." If company policy says they don't have to pay out accumulated PTO you get zilch. Usually it's used to avoid paying out after firing a person or no-notice walkoffs.

MisterOblivious
Mar 17, 2010

by sebmojo

Thanks Ants posted:

Wait, your boss is panicking over an event that's been and gone?

Whiteboard chat: we had some walls done with thin sheets of steel that were enameled or powder coated or whatever gets the smooth whiteboard finish. Being able to stick paper to walls with magnets is good.

Oh you like that do ya? Might I interest you in enameled steel houses?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NTLDUyEP_LY

MisterOblivious
Mar 17, 2010

by sebmojo

Thanks Ants posted:

Arrange (desk) by penis

Still sad it hasn't been updated in ages.

https://sourceforge.net/projects/arrangebypenis/

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W8_Kfjo3VjU

MisterOblivious
Mar 17, 2010

by sebmojo

xzzy posted:

Isn't that a classic youtube video?

Never restart the web server on request.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W8_Kfjo3VjU

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MisterOblivious
Mar 17, 2010

by sebmojo

Wibla posted:

:psyboom:

You can do that?! Man, if only someone would spread the good word!

:smithicide:

quote:

1. The product is only as good as the plan for the product. At the on-board shuttle group, about one-third of the process of writing software happens before anyone writes a line of code. NASA and the Lockheed Martin group agree in the most minute detail about everything the new code is supposed to do — and they commit that understanding to paper, with the kind of specificity and precision usually found in blueprints. Nothing in the specs is changed without agreement and understanding from both sides. And no coder changes a single line of code without specs carefully outlining the change. Take the upgrade of the software to permit the shuttle to navigate with Global Positioning Satellites, a change that involves just 1.5% of the program, or 6,366 lines of code. The specs for that one change run 2,500 pages, a volume thicker than a phone book. The specs for the current program fill 30 volumes and run 40,000 pages.

They Write the Right Stuff