Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

DelphiAegis
Jun 21, 2010

DigitalMocking posted:

Guy was in working on our security system today. This is cameras, badge readers for all 4 of our buildings.

The system is available externally for monitoring/remote administration.

The password? 1234

I just walked out and went to lunch at 11, came back around 2. I just can't loving even.

That's almost the same password I have on my luggage!

Pissing me off: T1 agents who seem completely and utterly unable to tell someone "No." or provide any alternative when confronted with resistance from the caller.

:words: This person wants ALL this <data>
:v: Okay, about 99% of that is available <here>, <there> and works for everything except <special case>. Is this person saying all of these are <special case>?
:words: No they want all of it. They are not in <special case> and when I tried to point them <here> or <there> they got angry with me.
:v: If it is not <special case> then this person doesn't have use for the data, as it provides no further relevant information. Is it possible they're confusing <dataitem1> and <dataitem2>?
:words: No, they want all the data!!! JUST GIVE ME THE DATA! *goes to manager*
:suicide:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DelphiAegis
Jun 21, 2010

Avenging_Mikon posted:

Today two separate people have spelled my name incorrectly in email replies where my name is part of my signature. It's a common name, and uses the common spelling. There's a variant that people think is common, but in my entire life I've only met one person using that variant.

It pisses me off that they can't look down to spell my name correctly, and I can't graciously correct them, because no matter what it comes off as a dick move. It just hits me as a hugely disrespectful action. Almost as bad as the people on the phone who call me by my co-worker's name just because it starts with the same letter.

That sort of poo poo really pisses me off, especially in an email. A ticket I sort of get, since the tickets I get are from our t1 and they have handle times and all that crap. But using "are" instead of "our" in an email? No basic proofing for sanity of thought?

Comes off super duper well to the managers and directors I cc'd when I'm chiding you for lack of attention to detail.

DelphiAegis
Jun 21, 2010

Irritated Goat posted:

Please stop putting your entire god drat request in the subject :sigh: I also don't need a full greeting in it too.

"Hi friends, I need to be unlocked from <application>". gently caress. It's irrational but it's annoying as poo poo.

This goes along with people who put "famous" quotes in signatures, insert their religion into work junk, and all the other dumb rear end common e-mail things. :sigh:

Oh, and gently caress abusive rear end loving coworkers. Worker A calls us upset because her Boss told us to uninstall Office because it was a different version than everyone else's. Well, in the middle of it, our entire loving data center lost power so we didn't finish. Boss yells at Worker A instead of just finding out a status.

This is why I thanked god the day that our head of Marketing set email standards across the entire business, without exception, and with clear punishments for non-compliance. And helpfully included a secondary signature that you can use for just replies that is cut down, so reply chains aren't lolhuge.

Doesn't stop idiots from somehow inserting an eye-bleeding textured background on their email. Or requesting read receipts on literally everything they send..

DelphiAegis
Jun 21, 2010
Every email and SfB reply in sparkling fonts that are so close to background color, it is completely unable to be read except by highlighting text. It's like spoiler text for stupid people.

DelphiAegis
Jun 21, 2010
gently caress SfB. gently caress users who keep an IM thread open for literally forever so that when the IM you, you click accept to their little face and are presented with 3 minutes of nothing because it takes so long to sync/load the conversation history that by the time you're responding to the 'hey' they've already been archived via email.

gently caress SfB doing hanging, randomly, when trying to do a Skype call between specific users for no rhyme or reason, crashing all the IM windows you had open.

I mean, we have to use it because we take business calls via Skype contact, but gently caress!

DelphiAegis
Jun 21, 2010

One of our frontline agents had an obnoxious background defaulted to every email they sent. One was forwarded to me, which I needed to forward to $CLIENT, and I had the fun task of digging through the (never used!) outlook settings to figure out how to turn that poo poo off and standardize their 25pt pink, scripty-looking font into a non-eyesore so $CLIENT thinks we're professionals.

In retrospect, I should've just sent it as a raw text email.

DelphiAegis
Jun 21, 2010

Avenging_Mikon posted:

Make a faraday cage for the office, and put a WAP in.

Edit: BAAAAHAHAHAHAHA.

Sometimes I love the infrastructure team. They already completed the "investigation" for the condescending guy.

AAAAAAHAHAHAHA. Eat poo poo mister "there's a flaw in the system."

I love having access to similar logs for the users I support.

:downs: I TOTALLY KNOW MY USERNAME!!
:v: Okay, well, I can't tell you it in the ticket or over the phone for security purposes, but logs show that you've not had a login event since... late 2016.
:downs: BUT I DID THE USERNAME HELP AND GOT IT
:v: Yes, yes you did, and you still got it wrong. If you had the right username, but the wrong password I'd see a failed attempt. I see no failed attempts.
:downs: oh there was a capital in it
:v: You don't say?

DelphiAegis
Jun 21, 2010

MF_James posted:

Why does capitalization matter in a username?

System is case sensitive for both UN/PW. Despite the actual login page saying such, and reminding of exact formats for reminder emails/texts of both, people still manage to gently caress it up.

That's just the piss-end of having a grossly large user base.

DelphiAegis
Jun 21, 2010

Jaded Burnout posted:

Nice. The ones I've seen have been non-magnetic and required a cloth and cleaner to get anything off at all.

Depends on your quality of marker too. Any staples or office supply will only sell the "low odor" markers, which basically means there's less alcohol in them. More alcohol = better, clearer marks and easier to erase. Whiteboard cleaner is essentially isopropyl alcohol as well.

I will say if you do decent base coats and sand the whole wall to a smooth surface as you can before applying, it does make a difference. Both in markability and erasure.

Source: I had a giant wall of whiteboard in an apartment once.

Things pissing me off: Ticket flow. We have established statuses for a reason, with how the ticket moves from one to another, laid down and hammered out over many a season of iteration, careful thought and observation, to speed resolution and keep it under as few hands as possible (because it sucks to explain a problem to someone else).
Why no, I don't mind if you attempt to completely throw that out the loving window when we tell you "don't do that" because we have SLAs to meet, and I will keep those delicious cya emails saying "this is dumb don't do this" when we pay the fees because we missed the SLAs. gently caress.

DelphiAegis
Jun 21, 2010

Inspector_666 posted:

One of our softphones is having issues with the latest version of Chrome. The vendor's response is to downgrade several versions and see if it works.

Downgrading Chrome is extremely not supported by Google to the point where finding an offline installer is proving impossible unless i want to trust s0ftware.com or the like, and even then I have no idea how to turn off the auto-update feature like in Firefox.

Why can't things just loving work.

That is the first I've ever heard of someone needing a "lower" version of chrome. Hell, our website specifies the minimum version of IE you must have, but for 'sane' browsers, it just states the name, because any decently sane browser should keep itself up to date with good web standards. Isn't Chrome supposed to be an incredibly backwards-compatible browser anyway? What kind of lovely softphones are you us-.. Oh, I answered my own question.

That said, ask me about the 2-month long fight between a client and our Dev support where the root cause ended up being the client's default working environment being IE11 running a lower compatibility mode of IE per client-company-wide setting, which was causing issues.

DelphiAegis
Jun 21, 2010

BaronVonVaderham posted:

Ugh we just added this to cover similar security stupidity. I love having to get a code on my cellphone literally every time I want to log into the VPN to test something in a QA environment, log into my email every morning, etc.

I get why it's there, I just wish the stupidity of others wasn't such an inconvenience since I need to log into various things constantly throughout the day and get a code every single time.

Oddly, our texts always come from a different number each time, which is both weird and mildly irritating.

We run our VPN mfa through Duo mobile. It's worked really well for a few years now. One activation text to your phone and it's done. Granted I've only got end user experience.

Our office MFA is still through texting a cell, but since most users are in the same location (we have a large remote user base) it's not as onerous and only comes up on password expirations. Of course since mfa got enabled the expiration time went from 3 to 6 months which has been awesome.

DelphiAegis
Jun 21, 2010

The Macaroni posted:

I hate when people feel the need to put backgrounds in their Outlook emails. But what the actual gently caress is this? Are they trying to make it so nobody can read their email?

This is up there with people who choose a large, custom font and color for their emails, with similar eye-searing text in SfB.
I get that we're stuck in Skype for now but christ don't make me read your 30 pnt purple calligraphy font about how someone can't login, ffs.

Similar circle of hell is reserved for people who paste screenshots from the snipping tool/one note capture into a word doc then attach the word doc instead of just making an image. Wtf people.

DelphiAegis
Jun 21, 2010
I've always thought of the card chargeback process as the nuclear option with a merchant: if you're not saying your wallet was stolen, then a chargeback is tantamount to saying gently caress you with both fingers.

Let some bean counter do the math on how much is lost/gained on this one idiot though.

DelphiAegis
Jun 21, 2010
This thread prompted me to try mine again and I got the mfa code. So ymmv.

DelphiAegis
Jun 21, 2010
My mx500 has lasted ages because whenever it starts double clicking, I take it apart and gently re-tension the copper spring in the left click mechanism. It's a pain in the rear end to put back in and reassemble, but it's why I haven't bought a mouse in 10+ years.

DelphiAegis
Jun 21, 2010

stevewm posted:

Dunno why the hell they had to replace the modem.. They swapped it with the same model that was already there.

I have a feeling they have provisioned a new account for us and we will be getting a 2nd bill. Has already happened once at that location!

Edit: Finally!!!! It is working again! YAY!

Last time I had Comcast in-house (personal, not business) part of the reason for that is their contractors just have a bunch of modems in their truck. Some have an internal code still linked to a prior customer because Comcast loving sucks. So they shoot the request to nuke that one (which takes days and fails anyway) and they just try another.

Then they have to go through their own phone tree to activate it, it's just as hellish as you imagine.

This is why for personal I just bought my own modem. gently caress rental fees. Paid for itself in 6 months.

DelphiAegis
Jun 21, 2010
Eject from that job as fast as you possibly can, then.

Edit: What a crappy page snipe. For content:

Pissing me off today is my companies mountain of tech debt. Apparently our internal enhancement/bug fix/feature requests when moved from one ticket software to another got shoved into a generic "backlog" and never looked at unless someone actively yelled about it.

Except nobody could because both ticket projects tracking the requests had access to view locked down and nobody knew what was released, not released, etc.

Wheee!

DelphiAegis fucked around with this message at 15:57 on May 9, 2019

DelphiAegis
Jun 21, 2010

Che Delilas posted:

Pistols at dawn, sir!

My company did this very thing. We had a very demanding customer, and they threatened to leave. We negotiated a deal where they would pay us extra for extra custom feature development. We basically white-gloved them for about 2 years, spending ultimately far more time and energy than they deserved and prioritizing their work over customers with 5x the footprint. In the end they decided to change to a different provider, in part because we couldn't keep up with their ridiculous demands, and what we got out of it was the cash and a whole lot of resentment from our other customers (again, some much bigger than this one) who had been asking us to work on their own priorities.

It didn't sink us. But it did chase off a couple of great people who were sick of getting jerked around, seeing their work get continuously thrown on the floor for the sake of a customer who we all knew would never be satisfied. And we're still trying to smooth the ruffled feathers of our other customers. Well. The management is.

My company is the same exact drat thing.

Except they want to appease them since a small subset of their business is a single company. This company looks really good when we pitch to new business, so we appease away.

DelphiAegis
Jun 21, 2010
I have two (rescued) Frenchies and while they are adorable and friendly, if they come across a child while being walked, I keep them away from the child at all possible.

Until the child asks if it's okay to pet my dog. Then I know the parent have taught them to be wary of dogs they do not know, and to be respectful. Hopefully if they're old enough to know warning signs of an upset dog as well.

I loathe kids who run like a bat out of hell and scream at the top of their lungs on general principle, but you can easily spook a dog coming at them from behind enough to make them react-snap and hurt you, a lot.

Condolences for that kid and their parents though, if that happened to my kid I don't know what I'd do. :(

DelphiAegis
Jun 21, 2010

Kyrosiris posted:

I'd say it's only as good as the company that implements it. I've taken far more vacation time at my current job (roughly ~4 weeks over a year and a half) with unlimited PTO than I ever did at my last gig that had two weeks shared vacation/sick leave but ran a skeleton crew where every PTO request was met with "well are you really suuuuuure you need this time off? you're gonna be making someone work overtime if you do :(" pushback.

gently caress that level of pushback right in its rear end. It's not my job to make sure everyone else in the company doesn't burn out on overtime, it's my job to take care of myself so that I can work the job I'm paid to do.

If me being off means someone has to work overtime, then that is an understaffing problem. If you try to guilt me about that fact, I will point you to the barren field where I grow my fucks.

DelphiAegis
Jun 21, 2010

monsterzero posted:

Thought I found a deal on some new, bulk packaged 2-port 10GBe adapters through a server parts refurbisher/reseller. Guess they were cheap because half of the cable retainer tabs in the RJ45 ports were busted, and that's apparently true for the vendor's entire stock. Now I've got to go back and ask for more money for the project. :/

Why is that a problem? Just glue them in place, it'll be fine! :v:

DelphiAegis
Jun 21, 2010
I'm with the QA guy on this one. If your code expects x and the DB provides y, even if that's from a different issue, you need to write into your test steps to check the value and set to x.

Is that lovely? Yes, but tell me a production environment that isn't.

Though he could've got the point after the third time you told him. That parts on him.

DelphiAegis
Jun 21, 2010

Bigass Moth posted:

When you get up at 4 am to shovel your driveway every day for six months straight you will have a different opinion on snow.

Why are you not investing in a snowblower by that point?

DelphiAegis
Jun 21, 2010

CollegeCop posted:

IF YOU ARE GOING TO DRINK COFFEE, LEARN TO MAKE COFFEE!

That is all.

I used to buy cheap maxwell house from Costco (PBUC) and drown it with sugar to not care about the taste.

Eventually my wife (rightfully) got on my case about it tasting bad and the sugar I have with it so we invested in a decent drip coffee maker from Ninja and a pretty decent small grinder... Also from Costco. We now get Peet's coffee and grind it fresh, and it is such god damned good coffee now. Don't underestimate small changes.

Pissing me off today: no communications programs work (Skype, outlook, etc) but the ticketing system does.. And sends updates via email.

On one hand I'm pissed that multiple people like myself can't email or IM, but it is rather quiet and peaceful to work the work that I can do without either of these. :v:

DelphiAegis
Jun 21, 2010
Sounds like you need to stop making coffee for everyone else and let the place burn to the ground due to lack of caffeine. :getin:

DelphiAegis
Jun 21, 2010

dragonshardz posted:

I work for a department of my state's government and I have also had some colleagues who have the same mindset. It's so completely alien; like why would you sit for two weeks on a ticket that takes you all of five minutes to complete?

I'm not constantly stressed out or overworked, either; I get things done as they come in and manage my time wisely. The emptier my pending queue is, the better.

My mindset is simple: I do tickets now so I don't have to do more/escalated tickets later.

Edit for new page content: pissing me off is hard-coded values in our software for an item we know changes each year, and a new dev ticket gets filed each year, and we still use the hard coded value because it's faster to dev. Just do it right already!

DelphiAegis fucked around with this message at 04:57 on Nov 8, 2019

DelphiAegis
Jun 21, 2010

Wibla posted:

That's a fire waiting to happen, and your insurance company going "well too bad about your datacenter, we're not paying for that".

This assumes the company that installed that in production would even have insurance.

DelphiAegis
Jun 21, 2010

Bob Morales posted:

New job had me get:

Credit check
Background check (no theft, assault, or firearms charges)
5 panel drug screen
Physical
Up to date on immuniziations

$Job has annual background and credit checks on me, actually.

Though my company is under both "Healthcare" and "bank" regulations so I can't even blame them for making sure I'm not a blackmail/fraud target.

DelphiAegis
Jun 21, 2010

devmd01 posted:

Our entire Corp office was ported to teams for telephony lmao.

:same:

I can't post memes to my coworkers anymore, THIS IS EFFECTING PRODUCTION!

DelphiAegis
Jun 21, 2010

22 Eargesplitten posted:

The company has a $0-premium HDHP for employees (like $170/paycheck if you're married, which I will no longer be in a few weeks), but I'm definitely going to hit that deductible fast, it's just that it's still cheaper than paying the premium for the PPO on top of paying for the copays for the PPO.

I can't speak to the other stuff, but are they also offering an HSA along with that HDHP? And if so, do they kick in money to it, or is it all funded by your elected deductions?

Since HSAs are similar to a 401k that you can take with you, it's not worth ignoring if they kick in a significant amount.

Granted, the other stuff like direct compensation will be a larger part of the decision, but it should still be in your benefits-math.

DelphiAegis
Jun 21, 2010

AlternateAccount posted:

Yeah I don't know what a GOOD solution is, I wonder what our BC team says. But I feel confident SMS shouldn't be part of it.

My company did RAVE alert system, which had you log into a corporate account and choose how you wanted to be notified. It's not bad as a solution, but I still don't like the sms part of it either.

DelphiAegis
Jun 21, 2010
It's posts and end users like those which make me very cognizant of when I need to put a ticket into our own internal helpdesk. I do as much research as I can(but make no conclusion), state my goals of what the ticket is to achieve and am patient with and respond promptly to any updates.

I wish I could say that the [operations support] tickets I get were like that. :sigh:

DelphiAegis
Jun 21, 2010
The guy managing what the warehouse/operations needs is often not the person who decides which invoices to (not) pay. :ssh:

DelphiAegis
Jun 21, 2010
My company for some reason signed a contract that said the client must pay all administrative invoices within 75 days, instead of a more normal 30 or 45 days.

Wouldnt you know they always pay around day 70...

DelphiAegis
Jun 21, 2010
Everybody makes fun of the bald guy until the barbershops close and we're the only ones who know how to cut our own hair.

DelphiAegis
Jun 21, 2010

Every other day, with an old-style safety razor. The mach3000s and Harry's and other razors of the world suck for head shaving. Safety razors don't clog and have the added bonus of being cheap as gently caress for replacement blades.

DelphiAegis
Jun 21, 2010
I don't know about you but I save everything I work on to "MyDocumemts" folder.

The mem is in there because I've memorized all my files.

DelphiAegis
Jun 21, 2010

Weedle posted:

this is pretty much what i said. i didn't propose any numbers or anything but i told her that if the scope of the job is going to change that significantly then it needs to be formally reviewed and negotiated with hr before i'll agree to anything

Good on you. My manager asked for my personal number as part of a "just in case" deal because we were going into busy season and I refused for the same reason.

gently caress being available 24/7 for things if you aren't going to be paid comensurately for it. We have positions like that and they are paid better, so gently caress anyone who thinks they'll get it from me (or disturb my work/life balance) for free.

DelphiAegis
Jun 21, 2010

Thanatosian posted:

It's a term that encompasses people leaving the organization, whether quitting, being laid off, being fired, dying, whatever. Is there a more common, less euphemistic term for that? I'm not aware of one.

Terminated is the word we use. As in, "terminated employment".

There's a separate status for retired or deceased though... :v: though most don't use deceased, that can be thought of as terminated as well....

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DelphiAegis
Jun 21, 2010
I'm not even going to disagree. If there's jokes around a process/thing, yeah have at them, but not in the reference doc of how it's set up. That's just dumb.