Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Impotence
Nov 8, 2010
Lipstick Apathy

grillster posted:

Thanks for inquiring but I've already done the needful in regards to the history, cookies and caches.

Do you have uBlock on these browsers/are you blocking their invasive privacy invading fingerprinting scripts?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Impotence
Nov 8, 2010
Lipstick Apathy

Thanatosian posted:

Pissing me off: ServiceNow implementation at a multi-billion dollar software vendor. User is doing something I didn't know was possible: adding notes to cases by replying to the emails instead of logging into the site. The user has an enormous signature with multiple disclosures/confidentiality notices/etc. The user is not trimming any of the replies. Reading the ticket is a loving nightmare. Why would anyone allow that?

ServiceNow is already a terrible nightmare, it's like a human version of a schemaless mongodb where everything is stored as a string. That being said this seems more like a user education problem.

Impotence
Nov 8, 2010
Lipstick Apathy

Thanatosian posted:

What we really need is email 2.0 with defined, standardized signature and quote blocks.

Over time, the chance increases to 100% that marketers and spammers and "important VPs" will be upset that their legal disclaimer and linkedin URLs are relegated to automatically hidden signature blocks, and buy some shady malicious addon sold via Clickbank affiliate links via Quora spam that automatically inject the signature into the primary body area. To prevent "duplicate text signature autodetection" all spaces are replaced with <b color="#FFF" style="background: #FFF">[random character]</b>.

There is a similar case of the Bitcoin forums where they used to allow images, but then those were used for IP logging and DDoS attacks, so now everyone's signature is this 5 line abomination of ascii art/ansi art/japanese fullwidth character blocks forming low resolution icons.

Be green, don't print this post.

Impotence fucked around with this message at 09:41 on Sep 25, 2020

Impotence
Nov 8, 2010
Lipstick Apathy

Neddy Seagoon posted:

Dealing with hardware vendor support operators who are clearly working from home in India somewhere at the moment has yielded call qualities ranging from "decent" to "yelling into a potato". Family arguments in the background optional.

I learned the Hindi phrase for "motherfucker" by overhearing some WFH helpdesk person's kid yell it at them.

Impotence
Nov 8, 2010
Lipstick Apathy

stevewm posted:

I've probably asked this before... but it's finally time to do it. And in lieu of not having a dedicated VoIP thread...

Need to select a SIP trunk provider for a new branch location. Having not dealt with any other SIP provider than our corp. office ISP (who unfortunately doesn't provide SIP off their network), not sure who to go with.

Our needs are simple.. A single DID with outbound calling. Unlikely there will ever be more than 4-5 calls in progress at any given time. Don't need any bells and whistles beyond a basic SIP trunk.

I had narrowed my choices down to the ones I see most commonly recommended. FlowRoute, CallCentric, and Voip.ms. I was leaning towards Voip.ms, but only because I've seen them mentioned more. Any reason to select one or the other?

I use Flowroute before, they're pretty decent, callcentric feels a lot more home-service-targetted-esque. I cancelled a voip.ms after they went from PAYG refills to "you have to refill a minimum of $50 every month to stay active" type of bullshit.

Impotence
Nov 8, 2010
Lipstick Apathy
who the gently caress is even doing traveling sales in plague times

Impotence
Nov 8, 2010
Lipstick Apathy

Moo the cow posted:

Do you have to buy your own set of demonstration knives?

The knives are loaned to you with a $1000 deposit, a single scratch and you don't get it back.

You have to buy your own vacuum cleaner though.

Impotence
Nov 8, 2010
Lipstick Apathy

captaingimpy posted:

Which is a part I left out, I would have also had to interview directly with the client I would have been working with.

The gently caress?

Impotence
Nov 8, 2010
Lipstick Apathy

luminalflux posted:

I had a pretty good experience with Monkeybrains in SF, which does 5GHz and 60 GHz wireless across the city.

Monkeybrains are pretty good, will even announce your IP space

Impotence
Nov 8, 2010
Lipstick Apathy
Wimax still exists as a concept?

Impotence
Nov 8, 2010
Lipstick Apathy
I was wondering if they were reselling someone and it turns out their bandwidth blend is basically Cogent, HE, and some local provider that seemingly just provides "residential IPs" for spammers and proxies.

Impotence
Nov 8, 2010
Lipstick Apathy
I just noticed Subject to $4.50 per month Network Upgrade and Administrative Fee

They're selling 1mbps up for $50/m in 2020, what network upgrades could that fee possibly even go toward?

Impotence
Nov 8, 2010
Lipstick Apathy

The Fool posted:

these password rules

Password cannot contain the words 'select', 'sleep', 'where', 'delete', 'drop', .....

Impotence
Nov 8, 2010
Lipstick Apathy
Could be worse.

Impotence
Nov 8, 2010
Lipstick Apathy
wait, encrypted printer kernels imaged over emmc? what the gently caress hardware is that?

Impotence
Nov 8, 2010
Lipstick Apathy

Thanatosian posted:

MailChimp would probably have something to say about that, their deliverability metrics are a big deal, and adding people who don't opt-in hurts them.

Mailchimp/sendgrid are basically spammers at this point. They removed the double opt in requirement and default to single opt in no verification.

Impotence
Nov 8, 2010
Lipstick Apathy

Lum posted:

Like I get that he's a networks guy and he's younger than me, but how can you understand what NAT is and not have had to deal with the hell that is FTP?

I haven't had to deal with FTP or FTPS at any point in my professional life and I know what NAT is, what kind of special hell is FTP? Does it require port forwarding bullshit for whatever insane reason instead of just running everything over an established socket?

Impotence
Nov 8, 2010
Lipstick Apathy
Why the hell would FTP even do that as a concept?

edit: this was from the days before routers and nat were a thing and everything had its own public ip on your corporate 'class b' exposed to the public internet isn't it

Impotence
Nov 8, 2010
Lipstick Apathy
My usual guess is that non split tunnel VPN is trying to take over default route/gw routing v6 over some broken linklocal or autogenerated v6 addr while simultaneously not having v6 connectivity, and since virtually every major site does v6 now (google, facebook, youtube, etc) and returns an AAAA record I wouldn't be surprised if suddenly half the internet is blackholed for end users.

Also up for dumb corporate things is blocking UDP traffic, which is... what the web uses. Facebook says more than 75% of their web traffic is now UDP, for one data point.

Impotence
Nov 8, 2010
Lipstick Apathy
The easiest way to solve this problem is to deploy native IPv6 to everyone

Impotence
Nov 8, 2010
Lipstick Apathy

Ratmtattat posted:

Despite being able to do 100% of work from home (and having done so for months during the pandemic), we absolutely have to return to building for now due to "perception" Meaning if we aren't in the building, then people might think we don't do enough work to justify our positions.

Great place to work, but this is some dumbass thinking.

What is the perception of employees dying to PR firms?

Impotence
Nov 8, 2010
Lipstick Apathy
I don't use a signature and when I reply to emails I intentionally set it to drop all formatting and go plaintext and remove any attached images

Impotence
Nov 8, 2010
Lipstick Apathy

22 Eargesplitten posted:

Pissing me off, jobs that want references in the initial application. It is 2 in the morning, I am not going to be texting people in the middle of the night asking if they'll be references for me, so now I have to leave this poo poo sitting open since you don't have a save and exit option for God knows what reason.

I hope it's not one of those lovely apps that will time you out after 60 seconds of inactivity and then redirect you into the void

Impotence
Nov 8, 2010
Lipstick Apathy

Bob Morales posted:

And an honest question to any of you, do you have to wear a mask the entire time at your job? Because if you don’t, it’s easy to sit on a high horse and tell people what to do.

before WFH? yes, for a month, daily, including on a ~3hr commute. I also wore a mask for the last two weeks at home along with my roommate due to an unavoidable trip. I recommend putting a few strips of paper towels inside to collect moisture. I've found that a proper disposable surgical mask (like the blue/white ones) are a lot more comfortable than a cloth one, especially when bent out properly so it never makes contact with your face in the front.

Impotence fucked around with this message at 19:40 on Nov 14, 2020

Impotence
Nov 8, 2010
Lipstick Apathy

The second most infuriating thing I've encountered going grocery shopping after work is people that think a cloth mask means they can disregard everything else.

Impotence
Nov 8, 2010
Lipstick Apathy

Woof Blitzer posted:

I rag on this company a lot, but they are letting everyone carry over 40hrs of vacation to 2021. That's pretty cool.

Vacation that.. you earned in the first place?

Impotence
Nov 8, 2010
Lipstick Apathy
I don't have the time to take PTO and I can't cash it out to $ at hourly rate. I'm almost certainly working all holidays. To be honest, I like my team, and I took that oncall first-page because they have things like kids to take care of, I just have League of Legends to take care of.

I entirely plan on going snowboarding with expensed hotspots from different carriers on Christmas. If the lifts are too crowded, I'll probably just snowshoe instead.

Just like the time I went to a multi-day music festival with a laptop and five hotspots while on-call. Why is it so noisy at 3 AM when I got paged? It's a screaming shirtless dude on acid eating cheese fries while someone is blasting Tiesto two tents down on a speaker system connected to a generator.

Impotence fucked around with this message at 21:46 on Nov 17, 2020

Impotence
Nov 8, 2010
Lipstick Apathy
ok fine i'll use a day on the 27th

Impotence
Nov 8, 2010
Lipstick Apathy

Wibla posted:

Obligatory European comment: What the actual gently caress, people!

is this still accurate or has the US made any changes lately

Impotence
Nov 8, 2010
Lipstick Apathy
I pretty much turn my phone off and go for a walk every single lunchtime. During standard hours someone else will deal with it, not my problem.

Trails, parks, etc are absolutely packed with unmasked idiots, people running and heavy panting without a mask, etc. Not much else to do.

Impotence
Nov 8, 2010
Lipstick Apathy
just take the loving pto, bio

Impotence
Nov 8, 2010
Lipstick Apathy
I appreciate that you put chiropractor and doctor in separate categories

Impotence
Nov 8, 2010
Lipstick Apathy

quote:

Because WORKPLACE is classified as a low risk facility for employee exposure

hahahahhahahahha

Impotence
Nov 8, 2010
Lipstick Apathy

Sheep posted:

AnyConnect just angers me all the time. Terrible logging, terrible interface, terrible options, terrible documentation. On Linux it doesn't even support PKCS11 devices (but it does on Windows & MacOS, because that makes sense). Really just nothing good to say about it other than 'sometimes it works as expected' which is about the bare minimum you can say about a given product and nothing at all to be proud of.

At least AnyConnect works on Linux, that's more than I can say for Palo Alto's

Impotence
Nov 8, 2010
Lipstick Apathy
I'd love to join coffeechat but all I have is a crippling energy drink addiction.

Impotence
Nov 8, 2010
Lipstick Apathy

devmd01 posted:

I am SO loving TIRED of having to prove that it’s crappy code/sql queries/app architecture and not the infrastructure.

Maybe your infrastructure should suck less so I can do a 15-table join and then just foreach the terabyte result set in code instead of using LIMIT

Impotence
Nov 8, 2010
Lipstick Apathy

kensei posted:

Comcast Gig Internet is legit. Relatedly, if you rent their modem, you can upgrade to the unlimited data cap for only $11 a month. No brainer with WFH and streaming TV.

From a rms POV it's absolute bullshit that they have an arbitrary, pointless cap if (and they keep repeating this) almost nobody approaches the cap. And to upgrade for a vaguely-reasonable price requires that you rent hardware that is entirely out of your control, remotely managed, password visible to anyone that logs into your Comcast account. This is poo poo that pisses me off. You're already overpaying to a monopolistic, hostile actor that continually increases prices and demands long term contracts with ETFs. Your money and non-tax fees are going toward lobbying to make municipal networks and fiber illegal. The highest plan has less than 10 Mbps upload in 2020.

Edit: I tried browsing plans. They also don't note the upload anywhere. I've clicked through into plan details, everywhere. They use phrasing like "Gigabit Internet service transmits data up to 1 Gigabit per second (Gbps) — or 1,000 megabits per second" everywhere in their marketing, and continually mention download only. There is not a single mention of upstream on the offer page, the plan page, clicking "Offer Details", "View Details", "Pricing & Other Info"

Impotence fucked around with this message at 03:26 on Nov 24, 2020

Impotence
Nov 8, 2010
Lipstick Apathy
is aws down for anyone else?

Impotence
Nov 8, 2010
Lipstick Apathy

Dick Trauma posted:

So when I do this I can tell my bosses that I'm following Amazon's "best practices"! :kiddo:

You aren't unless you have cross-AZ cross-region replication and failover

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Impotence
Nov 8, 2010
Lipstick Apathy

luminalflux posted:

you got it in your 2nd sentence - latency to a large portion of US population and europe and people think that network latency is what matters the most. Never mind that your app's API latency p50 is 150ms inside your app server, or that you can use edge computing (CDNs, Cloudflare Workers, Lambda@Edge) to put stuff closer to the user, they must be in us-east-1 for ~performance reasons~

sorry our current production vpc is 172.16.0.0/12 so we can't migrate anywhere ever again