Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

SEKCobra
Feb 28, 2011

Hi
:saddowns: Don't look at my site :saddowns:

Jerk McJerkface posted:

Nice, while we are sharing, another tale:

I was putting our new PBX on a shelf in a small closet, so of course I stand on an office chair, which I promptly fall off, right onto the PRI cable that is going to the PBX which I pull off the shelf and destroy.

Of course the config wasn't saved.

Dunno about OSHA, but standing on a chair to reach high places is something I'd expect IT professionals to not do.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SEKCobra
Feb 28, 2011

Hi

wolrah posted:

In theory you're right. In practice, squishy wheeled stools are a common part of getting the job done.

I have literally never done this at work. Hell, I haven't done this at home in at least a decade. There are proper utensils for reaching high places and they are available to me when I need them. Every company I have ever worked at had ladders in a janitors closet or whatever.

SEKCobra
Feb 28, 2011

Hi

Ugato posted:

I had a ticket today

That was it. Didn’t even have a signature to tell me which of the 45 locations he was talking about.

This is usually what I get from Tier 1 :colbert:

SEKCobra
Feb 28, 2011

Hi
Can someone explain to me how my just registered domain is resolving to ns3. & ns4. renewyourexpiereddomain.com when querying several public DNS services (including google)?
I am the registrar and all the at. root servers are giving me the correct results. How did this weird godaddy service insert itself here?

SEKCobra
Feb 28, 2011

Hi

xzzy posted:

Gotta wait for the TTL for godaddy's entry to expire off everyone's servers. I'd guess they had your new domain pointed at their "buy this now!" page.

But it was not owned by godaddy, it was unregistered for months, if not years. I registered the domain an hour ago, when it didn't resolve to anything, and now it started somehow resolving NS to those godaddy servers and I am confused as hell.

SEKCobra
Feb 28, 2011

Hi

xzzy posted:

I got nothing then.

I know shady registrars have done things where they snatch a domain the instant someone starts querying if it's available but I'm out of that game these days so don't keep up on the state of things.

Yeah no I own the domain, the root servers all return duke & lily, so do local DNS services, but somehow most american public DNS services are giving me those godaddy servers and redirecting the site to dgw.<site>.at "Page Not Found! Unfortunately we were not able to find the page you were looking for. Please check your URL and try again."

Seems to me like godaddy is doing something really shady.

SEKCobra
Feb 28, 2011

Hi
So I missed this twice checking my spelling, but gently caress whoever registered cloudlfare.com

SEKCobra
Feb 28, 2011

Hi

pixaal posted:

If that's actually the URL you might want to edit it out if you want to avoid reveling where you work.

No it's a misspelling of cloudflare.com which caused the problem because I am using the cloudflare DNS right now. I accidentally pointed it towards cloudlfare.com instead.

SEKCobra
Feb 28, 2011

Hi
As far as I can tell the problem is, that the A for cloudlfare.com is providing a NS for *.cloudlfare.com. So when I query for duke or lilly .ns.cloudlfare.com it gives a reply when it really shouldn't.

SEKCobra
Feb 28, 2011

Hi

pixaal posted:

I find harassing customers is a great way to keep them.

Works every time*

*100% of the time you lose your customers after keeping them for a very short period.

SEKCobra
Feb 28, 2011

Hi

Humphreys posted:

In Army Basic Training I was the idiot who put my hand out when the Section Commander asked 'who here knows a bit about computers?'

That turned into being the guy to rip images and videos off rotten.com etc to use for 'desensitisation nights'.

Woah when did rotten.com go away? Such a staple of internet culture, lost forever.

SEKCobra
Feb 28, 2011

Hi

Happiness Commando posted:

The header indicates SPF: pass, and we have -all at the end of the record

Usually the mails are sent with a different envelope from. Email sucks and SPF is poo poo and everyone it works in a sensible way when it really doesn't.

SEKCobra
Feb 28, 2011

Hi

Please don't dox my brother.

SEKCobra
Feb 28, 2011

Hi
Unless you are running around with a Wifi router to switch all these smartbulbs, you really shouldnt have anything to do with the lights.

SEKCobra
Feb 28, 2011

Hi
Wasn't that just for vmxnet3 adapters?

SEKCobra
Feb 28, 2011

Hi
I consider DHCP and DNS integral parts of every modern network and feel like they should be handling all IP assignment, not T1.
Only the hardware those services rely on should be hardcoded.

SEKCobra
Feb 28, 2011

Hi
There's no place like 127.0.0.0/8

SEKCobra
Feb 28, 2011

Hi
The fact that there are still toilets with cracks to look into baffles me. I haven't encountered one without overlapping panels in decades, I can't even remember the last time I did.

SEKCobra
Feb 28, 2011

Hi
So basically work is paying for your deductible while you suffer. Nice.

SEKCobra
Feb 28, 2011

Hi

Jaded Burnout posted:

Gotta make sure you're a good "culture fit"

Took me a second to realize you were talking about racism, and suddenly it makes a lot more sense.

SEKCobra
Feb 28, 2011

Hi

Judge Schnoopy posted:

They can't see it and aren't allowed anywhere near the server room, which only has one entrance through my office.

But once somebody asks for a new monitor and gets a nice shiny thing, they tell others they just had to complain about X. Same with phones. Then everybody is on my case about how bad their monitor and phone is even after I check and tell them they are experiencing normal equipment behavior.

Another reason I can't want to get out of internal IT.

Where are you goi g that you expect to be better? MSP work?

SEKCobra
Feb 28, 2011

Hi
A: Effort
B: Money

Or if it is a really cheap company, A = B

SEKCobra
Feb 28, 2011

Hi
My latest project was setting up and migrating to a new, properly setup Exchange 2016. This has been going really well and we awere scheduled to kill the old 2012er within the next few months. Now my colleague was scheduled to do MS-Server maintenance and the update failed.
Somehow, he found someone online saying that installing CU9 is the solution to this problem, and while in a failed halfstate of Windows Updates decided to start the CU9 install. He kept working on it all night until he reached a state where the server wouldn't boot at all. Now I have been spending all day untangling this mess.
Most likely the windows update failed because the system partition only had 7 GB left. I restored the OS to a working state and updated it to the most current version. The Exchange server is still broken af and I've tried jsut about everything to some how get CU9 to finish installing now.

This is not how I wanted to spend my saturday...

SEKCobra
Feb 28, 2011

Hi
I do web hosting and it's fine

SEKCobra
Feb 28, 2011

Hi
We are hitting all of PDQs limits unfortunately and really need a different suite of tools. But everything is obviously more expensive, so maybe we can just hack PDQ to do <that>

SEKCobra
Feb 28, 2011

Hi
Have you tried turning it on?

SEKCobra
Feb 28, 2011

Hi

nexus6 posted:

Job #1: Open office except director who had his own office
Job #2: Open office except CEO who had his own office
Job #3: Open office except senior staff who had their own offices
Job #4: Open office, nobody had their own office
Job #5: Open office except managing director who had a desk separate from everyone else
Current job: Open office except senior staff who have their own offices

Whaddaya know

So do they use Libreoffice or just Microsoft Office?

SEKCobra
Feb 28, 2011

Hi
Thanks to whoever pointed out that it is actually a variant with a bottle, I would have never noticed that, probably.

SEKCobra
Feb 28, 2011

Hi

dogstile posted:

Lmao

I actually bought one of these (not quite as big) for a co-worker who told me i'd never shut her up. Had been working with her for two years.

She actually wore it for two minutes and put it in her bag after, so I learned three things.

1. I'm still funny
2. She clearly wanted to keep it, so I couldn't return it (bummer, i was expecting to just show it and put it back in my bag).
3. The younger guys at the office went immediately from seeing her as a co-worker to just seeing her as a sex object.

Three wasn't so funny, it lead to HR getting involved.

E: Worth pointing out that we were in the corner of the office behind some big screens, so only the people who were very close to us could see.

Are you married to her now or did you get fired?
Really, those seem like the only two ways out of that situation.

SEKCobra
Feb 28, 2011

Hi

Inspector_666 posted:

It's also a pretty good way to put a name to a wallet number.

That makes no sense since you can just generate wallets

SEKCobra
Feb 28, 2011

Hi
I only see the ducks and it's hella cute.

SEKCobra
Feb 28, 2011

Hi
Migrated a fileserver.

Folder X has permissions from its parents, as well as Read permissions for group "Aholes" applied to "this folder only".

X
- Yyy
-- Zzz

Folder Yyy has modify permissions for "Bholes".
When I add ANY permissions to folder Zzz as an admin and then delete that folder, the permissions on folder X for group "Aholes" disappear. Those permissions do not show up on Yyy or Zzz...

SEKCobra
Feb 28, 2011

Hi
We also have a two week quarantine prepped at work and personally I am hoping for a SARS-CoV-2 scare because I would love to work from home...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SEKCobra
Feb 28, 2011

Hi
Wait the cookie thing was the goatse thing? I clicked it and nothing happened but I also have uBlock