Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Khisanth Magus
Mar 31, 2011

Vae Victus
Grrr, I am once again rather steamed at my boss at my newish job(started here in May).

We apparently have to work weekends if we are coming up against a deadline and have stuff that isn't done. Annoying, but fine, whatever.

Apparently even if we don't have any work that needs done we are still supposed to call in to the 10am meetings on Saturday and Sunday. Which is slightly inconvenient for me because I have a sleeping disorder which causes me to gradually get more and more sleep deprived as the week goes on and the weekend is the only time i have to catch up on sleep, so getting up for 10am conference calls is slightly inconvenient, and detrimental to my work the following week(and my sanity).

I am now in trouble because I wasn't on the conference calls for the meetings this morning, which he sent out the email about at 8pm Friday. You know, hours after work hours are over. I refuse to allow my personal cell phone to be hooked up to an enterprise exchange server(give the company I work for permission to wipe my phone? Not going to happen), and even checking the webmail here is a pain in the butt(have to use an RSA token code to sign in to the webmail).

I think it is time to :yotj: again already.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Khisanth Magus
Mar 31, 2011

Vae Victus

ratbert90 posted:

Or you could just talk to them like normal human beings do?

Its better to do what our former downstairs neighbors did whenever we made the slightest noise in our condo: leave passive aggressive notes. Including threatening to call the police.

Khisanth Magus
Mar 31, 2011

Vae Victus

Lum posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AlL4JwFx8Ck&t=88s

And since this is nicely off topic. I'm just going to add, I relayed that description of the neighbours to my girlfriend as I was rather proud of it, and she pointed out that they haven't actually done the piano thing for a couple of weeks now.

That made me curious, so I started trying to think of which event caused them to stop, took me a while but..

The best thing to stop noisy family get togethers next to your bedroom is, apparently, very loud mid-afternoon lesbian sex.

Good luck explaining that to your kid, fuckers.

That is an awesome way to stop that.

Khisanth Magus
Mar 31, 2011

Vae Victus
Not related to IT really, but the fact I went from no coat to winter coat in one week pisses me off.

Khisanth Magus
Mar 31, 2011

Vae Victus

Kyrosiris posted:

Some of us are not polar bears. :smith: (or seals :v:)

(I grew up in Houston, so "cold" to me is anything south of 50F. Then again, "hot" for me isn't until north of like 95F, whereas there's loads of people around here that start acting like they're dying at like 80F.)

I live in Iowa. In a given year we can have temps from 110+ to -30. It can be, and frequently is, hotter than Texas during the summer and colder than Alaska during the winter.

Khisanth Magus
Mar 31, 2011

Vae Victus
Things pissing me off...my manager thinking of scheduling mandatory meetings for both days this weekend despite about 75% of the team literally having no work to do this week because all of our poo poo is already fixed and no more bugs are being found in it, and repeated offers to help others have been ignored. Because I love having to wake up early on a weekend to call in to a meeting where I will say nothing because I have nothing to say.

Khisanth Magus
Mar 31, 2011

Vae Victus

Scikar posted:

It's more the other way around. Any company that does things right now is just waiting for a new CEO to come along, implement cuts to all the cost centres, take a fat bonus from the increased profits in the short term and then disappear by the time the brain drain and crumbling infrastructure set in from underfunding all the support functions. Usually to another company where they'll do the exact same thing.

Gotta love the "rape and pillage" style of CEO that is becoming even more popular these days.

Khisanth Magus
Mar 31, 2011

Vae Victus

psydude posted:

I don't expect them to know how a certain method is called in their favorite mobile app or how to set up multi-homed BGP for funzies, but I've noticed far fewer instances of getting calls because, say, the power cord is unplugged and they can't figure it out among the younger crowd. They also tend to understand the whole "turn it off and on again" trope much better than older people and don't have difficulty navigating menus in programs or applications.

I'm one of the developers who know how computers work, have built more computers than I can count, and could probably manage to land at least an entry level DBA job, and I still called tech support one time for something not being plugged in.

That phone call ended with me saying "and now excuse me while I jump off the building in shame" because I realized I had become one of "those" users. At least I really checked when the tech asked and didn't lie about it.

Khisanth Magus
Mar 31, 2011

Vae Victus

Che Delilas posted:

Oh child, you haven't Become. You have merely taken the first step. Spun the first thread of your chrysalis. Soon more threads will follow, as you hinted at: Lying about following troubleshooting steps. Describing your problems in vague terms like "internet is down!" Refusing to describe your problems at all. Demanding tech support Just Fix It! CCing management when complaining about a problem to 1st tier support. Dropping your devices into the sink and demanding an upgrade to the latest version to replace them.

At the end, you will emerge from your metamorphosis, a beautiful, ignorant office worker. Watcher of CNN or Fox News, credulous of politicians and radio personalities. Doing the task to which you are assigned, and no more. But you will be happy, child. You will be happy.

Well, I have lied about troubleshooting steps, but it was to dell when my laptops power cord started loving up and I knew they were going too have to replace it and all the steps were pointless. I'm pretty sure everyone in this thread has done that one.

Oh, did it again when the GPU on my same laptop began to die, probably from overheating because that entire model was designed horribly and if you played games on it the laptop would get so hot you couldn't rest your wrist on it.

Khisanth Magus
Mar 31, 2011

Vae Victus

rolleyes posted:

drat, jacking a laptop from a charity on your way out the door is pretty scummy.

Not all non-profits are charities. Non-profit at my previous job simply meant "The reams of money we suddenly started making go into the pockets of the CEO, the new C*O position he created, and the entire herd of managers he got hired instead of any kind of shareholders."

Khisanth Magus
Mar 31, 2011

Vae Victus

MrBling posted:

Fiddling with EMS and XMS and trying to free up enough memory was more annoying than setting IRQ/DMA.

Oh god I remember having to do this. Was so aggravating.

Khisanth Magus
Mar 31, 2011

Vae Victus

Caged posted:

They've probably used it once before in a previous job a decade ago and it got them their very own 'custom program' for cheap (because the intern did it).

They haven't had to deal with the fallout, and as far as they are aware it's a way to make custom software. And custom software will always be better than off-the-shelf because it exactly mimics the current workflow, regardless of whether that workflow is in any way efficient.

A huge protect I was on for years got canned partially because it didn't mimic the current workflow because by automating a lot of stuff we kind of made an entire department with a lot of political power within the organization obsolete. Woops.

Khisanth Magus
Mar 31, 2011

Vae Victus
Doesn't piss me off, more makes me depressed:

http://zed0.co.uk/crossword/

This is a thing made by xkcd using the leaked adobe password information and shows the most common passwords. The most common one(the first crossword) are so depressing that people would use them.

Khisanth Magus
Mar 31, 2011

Vae Victus

Inspector_666 posted:

Well he can use it, just not beyond usage.

And as long as he doesn't change it on his mind, whatever the gently caress that means.

Khisanth Magus
Mar 31, 2011

Vae Victus

Paladine_PSoT posted:

Layoff notices just in time for the Christmas and my daughter's first birthday. :stonk:

Holy poo poo that sucks. Gotta love companies that do this, pretty much shows they are scum of the earth.

Khisanth Magus
Mar 31, 2011

Vae Victus

Gweenz posted:

Fellow Americans, coming in to work sick is not a badge of honor. Nobody is going to steal your job if you stay home.

I get a whole 13 days a year that is for both sick time and vacation. If I do not feel dead I am drat well coming in and getting everyone else sick too. Tell US companies to stop having poo poo benefits that encourage you to come in sick.

Khisanth Magus
Mar 31, 2011

Vae Victus

Gweenz posted:

People could, oh I don't know, start standing up for themselves? Stop working for lovely bosses? Stop buying a bunch of useless consumer products so they wouldn't have to work so many hours or be so dependent on their jobs? Find alternate means of income? Have a financial buffer so they can afford to take days off?

By going into work sick you are loving EVERYONE ELSE OVER and blaming it on the boss, the company, or the loving economy isn't going to cut it, sorry. The reason I bring this up in the first place is because I am going to client's offices and they are all sick. I have to touch their goddamn keyboards and I can't exactly put on a gas mask or wear rubber gloves lest I insult the poo poo out of them. Now *I* am sick. At the moment while I am in school part time I am hourly, I pay for school and a mortgage, but I sure as hell am going to call in sick.

Tell your own company? I don't have a problem telling mine, and if I did, I wouldn't be working there.

You apparently haven't worked in the corporate world much.

Guess what? The companies/corporations that you work for generally know drat well that the benefits are poo poo. Hell, we had a big all-employee survey here about stuff and the main feedback is that the benefits, both medical and other benefits, are pure poo poo. Guess what they are doing about it? Diddly squat, other than "looking into it"(aka pretend we might do something and hope you forget).

Do you want to know why they know the benefits are poo poo and can get away with it? Because 1) Finding a new job isn't exactly easy in today's economy, so they have you a bit trapped there, and 2) They know that you know that the benefits aren't likely to be a whole lot better anywhere else you go. I'd love to have better benefits. I left my old job to work here due to a $20k pay raise, knowing that I would not have as good of benefits, which sucked but my wife and I could no longer live on the poo poo pay I got at my old job. Plus I was supposed to get better medical insurance, but I was lied to about that, which still pisses me off.

People with poo poo benefits work for 1 of 2 places: small companies that can't afford to give you significant time off, as every employee is important, or big corporations that don't give a poo poo.

I'd personally love to get a job at the local university: double my vacation days here, a separate sick day pool larger than my vacation/sick pool here, and about double the number of holidays at approximately the same pay level as I get here, but those jobs are hotly contested for good reason.

Khisanth Magus
Mar 31, 2011

Vae Victus

EAT THE EGGS RICOLA posted:

Because of my specific circumstances, I can afford to get fired for standing up for myself, so

Exactly. I do not just have to worry about myself. I have a wife with severe health problems. We have lots of animals we care for almost as if they were our children. I do not have the option of doing something stupid like getting fired or even worse quitting and not even getting unemployment. Congrats on being single without a mortgage, car payments, high student loans, and other such burdens. Must be great for you. The rest of us don't have that option.

Khisanth Magus
Mar 31, 2011

Vae Victus

Dick Trauma posted:

The contractors have been dry walling over the network jacks in the new HQ executive offices. :gonk:

:stare: why would they do this. How can you be this stupid?

Khisanth Magus
Mar 31, 2011

Vae Victus

Gweenz posted:

I think you need to go back and reread everything I have said. To paraphrase, I like my job. The reason I am pissed is that I have to go to clients offices where they think they have to come in sick or something bad will happen to them. So therefore, I get sick. When my coworkers come in sick I tell them to go home. If I wasn't able to call in sick, I would quit post haste because that would mean my boss is a shitbird and too stupid to understand that sickness is non-productive.

If you are in fact being positive then I take back what I said earlier about ignoring you, and apologize.

I should so follow your advice. I will quit Monday. Then I can default on all my loans over the next month, sell all my possessions to just pay for food for my wife and I... well, until I have to have her hospitalized because we can't pay for her meds anymore. Oh, I will probably lose my clearance due to financial situation and the odds of ever being granted it again with that kind of history is pretty small, so any future jobs requiring that will be out. I will also get the pleasure of the medical bills for the aforementioned hospitalization of my wife as I will no longer have insurance.

You know what, I've changed my mind, I probably shouldn't follow the worst advice I've ever read. And will no longer be responding about this subject because you are pissing me off with your sanctimonious drivel.

Khisanth Magus
Mar 31, 2011

Vae Victus
Is it so much different than a lot if auto repair places that will always bill you for x number of hours on any given repair regardless of how long or actually takes?

Khisanth Magus
Mar 31, 2011

Vae Victus
The company I work for uses hard coded host files. The best part is that you aren't actually told this until you try and access something internal via host name and it doesn't work, it is not documented anywhere, and as #1 would indicate, new computers are not setup with the correct host entries when you start.

Khisanth Magus
Mar 31, 2011

Vae Victus
At least my old job had a christmas party with good door prizes. Prior to the new CEO taking it over we actually got like $40 gift cards as well. My new employer does absolutely nothing.

Khisanth Magus
Mar 31, 2011

Vae Victus
The government actually has publicly available statistics on the entry level salaries as well as different levels of experience available broken down by state. Which may not be useful for all states, as places like Illinois would be thrown off by Chicago if that isn't where you are looking to work, but for many states it could be useful. I don't know exactly where to find it though.

Khisanth Magus
Mar 31, 2011

Vae Victus
My previous employer started out with "unlimited" sick days, but after 6 "occurrences"(which are defined as any amount of time off except for a couple hours for a dr appt, which every one of those you take are aggregated into a single occurrence) you would get a stern talking to, and after 7 you would get written up.

They changed it to having a very generous 20 sick days...but, again, if you used more than about 1/4 of them you got a stern talking to, and if you continued to use them you got written up.

Then again, using all of your vacation days if you were not about to lose them due to accumulating too many would be a negative on your yearly review, so they kind of had messed up policies regarding not being at work.

My new employer has 0 sick days, you have to use some of your pathetic 13 "general leave" days if you are sick. I really should move to a new country, but most places seem to be striving to be more like the US all the time in health care and labor laws.

Khisanth Magus
Mar 31, 2011

Vae Victus

Caged posted:

Australia seems to be the destination of choice lately, although that might just be a grass is greener thing.

Given who Australia keeps electing I can see them going towards USism with rather unseemly haste, as they keep electing conservative fuckwits who implement horrible censorship laws and things like the great Australian firewall, etc.

Khisanth Magus
Mar 31, 2011

Vae Victus
So, the company I work for was bought by a huge corporation at the beginning of 2013. They are still switching systems over. The latest thing to switch over was our timekeeping system. I find the whole time keeping regulations here slightly insane. First of all, you are supposed to fill in your time card each day. As a new policy due to the integration into corporate's timekeeping system if you do not have your timecard finished and electronically signed by 2pm on Friday your paycheck will not be direct deposited, and you will instead get a paper check at some unspecified day in the future. As salaried employees. Wtf.

Khisanth Magus
Mar 31, 2011

Vae Victus

Sickening posted:

Was this a financial company by any chance?

Nope. IT contractor.

Khisanth Magus
Mar 31, 2011

Vae Victus

EAT THE EGGS RICOLA posted:

... give it to anyone else?

The illness he just got again.

Khisanth Magus
Mar 31, 2011

Vae Victus
The only thing Oracle has ever done right is make me a ton of fake money in my high school economics class when we had $10k of fake dollars to fake invest in the stock market and the teacher kept track of how our portfolio grew. This was when oracle was rather young, and their huge growth made me make the most fake money off anyone in the class.

When it comes to actual technology Oracle is pretty much one big failure who is very good at marketing.

Khisanth Magus
Mar 31, 2011

Vae Victus

libcxx posted:

There were lots of breaking changes during the span of Python 2.X. I understand any pain that people have with Java on user machines, but it's really nice on servers.

As long as you aren't trying to use oracles java application server, which us generally about 5 years out of date in what version of Java it supports.

Khisanth Magus
Mar 31, 2011

Vae Victus

DrAlexanderTobacco posted:

McAfee. Why doesn't it come with a remote removal tool, is there something I'm missing? It sucks to have to RDP onto each PC to get rid of the drat thing.

Because McAfee is pretty much malware.

NWS bad link eh?

Khisanth Magus
Mar 31, 2011

Vae Victus

Caged posted:

"Our IT is poo poo here", says the department lead who won't buy new hardware and deals with slow unreliable old poo poo.

Are there many managers left who get duped by that?

A bit of history from my previous job which is partially what led me to leaving(in addition to being woefully underpaid):

The company had 2 major divisions, each of which did pretty much the same thing, just with different target audiences. They both used completely separate systems cobbled together over many years, both using a variety of ancient software that didn't talk to each other at all and required lots of manual work to move stuff around. The CEO eventually saw that these ancient cobbled together systems were seriously slowing down production and that things could be a lot more efficient with a modern system. The in house IT(us) were assigned the task of building this new system. Both divisions were told to work on requirements to create a system that could fulfill everyone's needs. After all, the end result of both divisions was the same, just the target and process were different.

The end had several hundred pages of badly written, incomplete, incomprehensible, and generally useless requirements. We had to constantly work with our "customers" to make sense of the requirements to build something usable. This is where the problem came in. We were supposed to work with both division to come up with systems that both could use. One of the divisions was willing to work with us, grudgingly. The other division, however, was headed by a technophobe who was as obstinate as she could be, and every meeting she or her Sr people actually attended dissolved into bickering matches either with themselves or with the other division or with us.

In the end we continued to ask for their input, which they didn't provide, but mostly held meetings with the division that was willing to work with us. We spent 5 years working on this system. It had a few small issues, but in general streamlined their process immensely and removed a lot of busywork. We also kind of made an entire department redundant(you know the guy on office space whose job was to take the requirements from the customers to the developers? Think that, just moving information between 2 systems). We continued to make improvements to it, although occasionally there were setbacks caused by incompetent management from random people assigned to be in charge of the project.

Then the old CEO planned on retiring. One of his last orders of business is that he said that he expected both divisions to be using our system within the next 2 years after he left.

New CEO gets hired. Before the ink is even dry on his employment contract(or whatever CEOs have to sign) the technophobic head of the division who had, for 5 years, refused to work with us against the orders of the CEO ran to the new CEO and cried about how the in house IT sucked and we had made this horrible system that her division couldn't use(technically it is true that the system was built more around the process of the other division, the one who actually worked with us and let us understand how their process even worked). The project is immediately canned and they start to look for 3rd party software to replace our system, eventually choosing one that in the end will make no one happy and doesn't do half of what our system did.

tl;dr: There are at least CEOs who will believe "our IT is poo poo."

Khisanth Magus
Mar 31, 2011

Vae Victus
I use logmein all the time, both for use in getting onto my home computer from my work computer or phone, and for helping my family with issues that does not require any action on their part. People are touting teamviewer as an alternative, but I'm not sure how much of one it is for me. I require something that does not need to be installed on the remoting computer. I can't even use the FF or Chrome extensions for logmein, I have to use the js version. Also, does it require any action on the host computer?

Khisanth Magus
Mar 31, 2011

Vae Victus

anthonypants posted:

Chrome Remote Desktop has been a thing for a while, and there's rumors they're making Android and iOS apps for it.

Yeah, a friend told me about it. I've been able to get it to work. Its missing some of the nice features of logmein, but at least it is usable and free.

Khisanth Magus
Mar 31, 2011

Vae Victus
Hating this week: Stupid rear end requirements from customers

At my current job I am part of a team that works on a very well known web app as a contractor. We had been pitching upgrading the version of jsf we were using from 1.2 to 2.x. We finally got an OK, but with a caveat: we had to use the version of jsf that was already on the server, which is websphere 8.5 and contains myfaces 2.0.2. For reference myfaces is currently at 2.2, and the 2.0 version ended at 2.0.19. This has 2 effects: we are having to work with an ancient, buggy version of the library with known security exploits and which also limits what versions of other related libraries we can use to also be buggy early versions with security exploits.

Dealing with all this stuff and the lack of features that are present in the current versions that would make our lives easier is pretty much pissing all of us off. Our only hope is that we are going to require the customer sign off on the fact they are making us use libraries with known security flaws, which we know will make them squirm a bit because they are usually pretty big on security.

Khisanth Magus
Mar 31, 2011

Vae Victus

fluppet posted:

Should i be offended by a ~4% bonus?

This being the first time since escaping the public sector i have nothing for use as a reference.

I have never received a bonus of any size and my raises have always been 3%. But that was at a place known for being stingy.

Khisanth Magus
Mar 31, 2011

Vae Victus

captkirk posted:

My department has a similar policy... except it's "if you're sick, take a sick day. No, you can't just stay home and work, you must use a sick day. Yes, you must burn a sick day even if you're called to help dig out an emergency."

Basically our policy encourages people to come in when they are sick but don't feel like complete poo poo.

I hate sick leave policies, or lack thereof, in the US. If seems pretty rare to have a place over sick leave, and even if they do offer it you are actively discouraged from taking it and it gets drilled in to people that you should show up to work if remotely physically possible, even if that means spreading stuff to other coworkers. At my first job we had a guy show up knowing he had swine flu. Luckily our boss told him to go home immediately. At most places theses days you have to take a vacation day if you are truly sick and don't have a remote work policy, which is so bogus.

Khisanth Magus
Mar 31, 2011

Vae Victus

Sickening posted:

I swear to god that people are wanting the beefiest desktops possible around here to process data in excel. My team just got a request in for a desktop with 32gigs of ram etc just for excel. This is what happens when people are tasked to process data and have even less knowledge of these tools than I do.

Sheesh, we are fighting to get 16gb for our developer laptops here.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Khisanth Magus
Mar 31, 2011

Vae Victus

Dick Trauma posted:

gently caress people who come to work sick.

CFO is trying to open a PDF that has a portfolio and the piece of poo poo requires Flash to work properly. I sit at his PC to work on it and he's sniffling and coughing like a motherfucker and I just want to yell "GO HOME YOU IDIOT."

Maybe if places offered actual sick leave these days people would do so. If a place just has a single "Paid Time Off" bucket that is both your vacation and sick leave there is every expectation that people will drag themselves in if at all physically possible unless a place offers the ability to work from home when sick.

Then again, a CFO probably has plenty of sick leave and has no excuse other than buying into the US corporate view that you belong to the company and all your time should be theirs etc.