Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

BaronVonVaderham
Jul 31, 2011

All hail the queen!

Sickening posted:

The focused inbox "feature" is maybe the dumbest feature I have seen in a while.

The bright side is that for Microsoft its very clear which leaders in your org have poo poo decision making skills. They should be able to fire any decision maker of this feature with clear consciences.

gently caress everything about Microsoft. I just started a new job, and everything's been great EXCEPT they inexplicably switched to Microsoft from Google apps a few months back without consulting anyone in the IT teams. Apparently the board just really, really likes Outlook.

Now we have to use Teams for all of our meetings, and it's a garbage fire. Really pisses me off since I work remote 800 miles away so that's my primary link to the rest of the company.

In other news, my supervisor just got fired this morning and no one knows why. I'm flying to HQ on Monday, so I'm sure that's gonna be a super fun week.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BaronVonVaderham
Jul 31, 2011

All hail the queen!
Have to come to HQ in Nashville periodically. They only give out Macs and will not let me connect my personal laptop (running Linux as it should be) to the network.

Seems like a tremendous waste to fly me here for a week where I'll be so much less productive on an unfamiliar OS with fewer resources (usually develop on my big desktop rig at home). They finally got me set up with a dock and extra screens today, but gently caress I hate macOS.

At least the food is good and my hotel is awesome this time :unsmith:

BaronVonVaderham
Jul 31, 2011

All hail the queen!

Bob Morales posted:

The worst is employees who just gently caress off their last two weeks and distract everyone else who still works here

When I put in my notice a few months ago I asked about expectations of notice. They knew I wasn't going to do jack poo poo during those weeks since I had mentally checked out months ago, so said just give us a few days to take care of paperwork and you can write documentation on a few things.

Worked for me, was able to get started on the new job sooner and get my partner's insurance back sooner (90% of the reason for switching was a buyout by a company that doesn't recognize domestic partners for insurance....the other 10% was they didn't tell us my partner lost hers until 3 days after the fact).

BaronVonVaderham
Jul 31, 2011

All hail the queen!

Sefal posted:

I left last job on Friday and started new job on Monday.
Never doing that again. Even a week in between would have been appreciated.

:same:

I left one job last May, and I stupidly didn't build in a gap. Then I left that job a few months after the buyout (tried to get them to honor the insurance promises first, I really didn't want to change again so soon, but they were total dicks about it). I think I gave them all of 2 days notice.

My new job where I am now wanted me to start immediately and I caved and literally flew to Nashville 3 days after I accepted the offer.....because their insurance kicks in the 1st 1st of the month after 30 days of employment. February being short was going to gently caress me, I had to get out here by the 1/28 or else I would have had no insurance until April (gently caress COBRA).

It worked out, insurance kicked in on 3/1 and on 3/3 my face swelled up due to an impacted wisdom tooth, and a week later my partner got an eye infection, so it was the right call or that would have cost us a fortune. But if I end up leaving this place, I REALLY want to build in a bit of a gap for once so I can decompress a little before diving into the insanity of being the new guy.

Speaking of being the new guy.....gently caress being the new guy and getting saddled with the project no one wanted to touch for months. It took me almost 2 months to do, and it was loving miserable (completely dockerizing and implementing celery properly). Instant street cred with the team for pulling it off solo so quickly, but I'd love for my first project at a new job to be something nice and small and good for learning the new code base for once.

BaronVonVaderham
Jul 31, 2011

All hail the queen!
You can see how much you're paid to poop at work.

BaronVonVaderham
Jul 31, 2011

All hail the queen!
I usually work remote, so when I have to travel to HQ it's bizarre to watch how people behave. I've observed a phenomenon I shall dub "engineer pose".

When male programmers gather, they stand in a semicircle, and they all carry their laptops. But they can't carry them like normal human beings who are aware that this device costs $3k, they leave them open, precariously balanced on their inner left forearm held horizontally in front of them. Then they put all of their weight on their left leg and kind of tilt that way slightly.

It makes my skin crawl, because holy poo poo I've seen at least 3 people drop their computer that way this week. Just loving close the lid! (do what I do, tweak the settings so it doesn't sleep or lock the screen when it's closed, if laziness about passwords is the problem)

BaronVonVaderham
Jul 31, 2011

All hail the queen!
loving hell. Why can't bosses ever 1) Just tell you what they want to talk about up front, and 2) Remember poo poo we talked about previously....

I just got back from my quarterly trip to HQ. I got an email from finance with instructions about the new way to submit expenses (basically they want separate reports for poo poo on the corporate card and poo poo out of pocket so they don't have to do simple math to confirm they need to reimburse X out of the total). The deadline is today, so get on that.

Sure. I go in and re-tool my report to break it into two (tedious, but doable). I submit both, and immediately get a message from my boss on Teams: "We need to talk."

I'm left dangling for an hour, after which I'm told there are WAY too many overages in my report that go against policy (it's really just 2, hotel and flight, but because it itemizes hotel and flights, it looks like a million).

"Yes, we already talked about this when I booked the trip and you had to approve my airfare and hotel purhchases because they triggered warnings that they were too high. You had to explicitly approve this before it would confirm the purchase, which you did after you said the exact same thing and I showed you it was literally the cheapest option that existed."

"Oh. Ok then, both are approved :)"

WHY DID THAT REQUIRE GIVING ME A loving HEART ATTACK WONDERING IF I'M GONNA GET CANNED FOR IMPROPER USE OF A COMPANY CARD?!

BaronVonVaderham
Jul 31, 2011

All hail the queen!
Constantly pissing me off: My now 2-month project continuing to languish in "ready to deploy to QA" because everyone is deathly afraid of it, so it got moved to the next sprint yet again.

I basically took our monolithic single docker container and broke it up into a cluster of separate containers, one for each process (core server, celery beat, one for each worker, etc). Now to run the stack locally requires a single command of "docker-compose up". More importantly it gives us way more control over these processes, lets us scale the workers more easily, and if one piece crashes it doesn't take the whole team down with it.

They won't use docker-compose in production, they insist on manually doing ALL of that via a long-rear end build script on Jenkins (i.e. the poo poo docker-compose shortcuts for you). Fine, whatever, me and our DevOps guy figured out how to make it work, deployed the whole thing to his QA environment, done. But to actually move forward, we need to merge my branches in and modify the Jenkins builds for each of our like 9 QA environments, staging, and prod. If we merge my code in without it any new deploy will fail, if we set up the builds before merging, same. It's inconvenient, but not difficult to wrap your head around the concept.

We tested this, it's safe, QA and DevOps have confirmed my poo poo works and we know how to deploy it safely.......and now nothing.

Just sick of people who don't understand something making the decisions when people who DO understand it have all signed off and said it's fine. What's going to be different next sprint? Are we just going to keep pushing this back because you're never going to not be afraid of it? Otherwise what was the point of all this work you had me do, did you really think "break this into multiple containers" wasn't going to require anything outside the code?

BaronVonVaderham
Jul 31, 2011

All hail the queen!

xzzy posted:

docker-compose changed my life once I bought into it. It's so loving good.

Everyone around me is "oh that's cool" in a tone where they obviously don't give a poo poo and will continue deploying services the way they always have.

The last place I worked introduced me to it, but I resisted because they added the unnecessary additional layer of Vagrant so it was a lot to take in at once. Then I tried using compose for a personal project and saw the light. It is so nice to be able to start my entire stack with one command and not have to clutter my host machine with a global postgres or redis instance it has to share with other projects.

This got dumped in my lap (again) because this is always something no one on the team knows about so they leave it in the backlog until they can dump it on the new guy. But then no one understands what I did, and here we are, lost in QA limbo.

BaronVonVaderham
Jul 31, 2011

All hail the queen!
Weirdly specific discussion I missed during my nap :stare:

I lived in Grand Rapids for a year before I came back to Florida. I moved there with a remote job to follow my girlfriend, who was from Kalamazoo and moved back after she got her Master's, and was promptly laid off a few weeks later. I can say from experience there are NO programming jobs around there, it took me 8 months to get a lovely job doing PHP for Gordon Food Service HQ.

They were an ok company, but really preachy and the salary blew. The funny part was my gf got into a PhD program literally the morning after I accepted the offer, right back where we moved from, so I just started the search all over again to get back to remote (not that I didn't think that the instant I set foot in a cubicle anyway, though). I had to settle for a pay cut below even that garbage but remote was so worth it, and the offer came the day after I dropped the deposit to take over our lease solo (because of course it loving did). Last year I jumped ship after abandoning my own PhD and instantly doubled my salary now that I had a few years' experience in my favor; I have zero formal education in comp sci, my degrees are in physics, so I had to serve my time proving I could hack it, I guess.

Anyway, Grand Rapids and most of Michigan absolutely blows for the field. You're better off if you love .NET and sucking Microsoft's dick, but the salaries are abysmal. Just 2 months in a cubicle at GFS has confirmed to me that if I was forced to go back to that and never work remote again I would kill myself.

It was an ok area to live in, not that I got to see or do much of anything since I was unemployed and poor the entire time. If I could move back there with the job I have now I'd be much happier than being in FL, but we plan to escape next summer.

BaronVonVaderham
Jul 31, 2011

All hail the queen!
Not pissing me off today: I finally have zero open PRs! My poo poo was finally merged in and the deployment jobs were updated, and everything just built and worked correctly on the first try.

Love that we waited like 3 weeks while people worried about this poo poo for no reason. Maybe they'll start trusting that I know what I'm doing now, but I'm not holding my breath.

BaronVonVaderham
Jul 31, 2011

All hail the queen!

The Iron Rose posted:

Imposter syndrome is a bitch and a half though, cuz I walked into that meeting expecting criticism, not a bonus.

I went to HQ a few weeks ago expecting to be reamed for how long this project took, and my boss clearly entered our first meeting with certain expectations. Then I presented my work and told him what was left to do, and his whole affect shifted. "Holy poo poo this is amazing work." There wasn't time that week because of a deployment and resulting 42384 hotfixes, but he said he owes me a beer next time I have to fly up there :unsmith:

BaronVonVaderham
Jul 31, 2011

All hail the queen!
Well that was 10 hours well spent.....

My poo poo didn't work, it turns out. Well, it did, but it broke something else stupid, resulting in some 404 errors with important JS files for things like payment processing.

A long-rear end day of chasing my tail later, and the culprit was a one line change in the LOCAL SETTINGS FILE of all loving things. In the new dockerized setup, there was a bug with the django-compressor template tags, even though compression was disabled. It's a known workaround to set COMPRESS_PRECOMPILERS=(). I did that, and it solved the issue.

It turns out that they have the stupidest loving settings inheritance sequence set up in here, so that for QA and staging servers it does a quick "import * from local.py" first. Since they don't specify the precompilers variable, that doesn't get overwritten like other things do, and so this inherits through alongside the new COMPRESS_ENABLED=True, so it wants to compress but has no precompilers to do so. Oddly, you'd think this would kick an error, but it just fails quietly and gives a 404 for the expected compressed JS stuff.

So gently caress me, I guess, for assuming "local.py" only contained LOCAL settings?

Already a PR up to NOT have local settings imported anywhere else, as it should be :colbert:

BaronVonVaderham
Jul 31, 2011

All hail the queen!

Jaded Burnout posted:

I work 9:30 to 16:30, from home.

I do this now. The one thing I do miss about my previous job was I was doing 11-7, which is much more my jam. You get the same quiet time as the guy who loves 7-3, but at the end of the day instead.

It's obnoxious when I have to travel to HQ. They're in central, so poo poo starts at 8am their time. I'm actually a little wary about moving next year, we're looking hard at Denver and gently caress if I'm starting at 7am every day. I have narcolepsy, so I try as hard as I can to get as close to my body's natural rhythms that I can, there's no way I'd survive 7-3.

BaronVonVaderham
Jul 31, 2011

All hail the queen!

pixaal posted:

If you have been working with a doctor (you probably should be to make sure it's not something else) tell them to pound sand if they go to move your hours. "I have a medical condition and here is my doctor agreeing that I'll fall sleep in the middle of the day if you change my schedule".

If you don't have a working relationship with a doctor because it was diagnosed as a child or something and you've just dealt with it, I highly recommend starting one so you have something. I image there's some legal protections with a doctors note (as long as you were hired for a set of hours you could work, which sounds like you were).

Yeah I've been working with doctors for about a decade now. I'm really hoping if we move out west we can just forego me having to attend morning standup but our guys in Belarus have to attend, so that gives me pause. I just don't want to have to fight that battle, I REALLY like this place so far.

But it's equally probable we end up in Boston or Baltimore or somewhere, in which case nothing changes. I'm also working on trying to convince our scrum master to have standup an hour later so everyone has a chance to go through their email and teams chats and stuff to get oriented before we meet (half the time people's updates now are "Well I have no idea what I'm doing because I saw 50 emails about a bug maybe").

Side note: Modafinil is a loving miracle drug and I'm so happy to finally have insurance that covers it. It's been an uphill battle for 5 years to get that poo poo legally without paying $200/month for it.

BaronVonVaderham
Jul 31, 2011

All hail the queen!
Linux file permissions can gently caress right off today.

I'm battling a bizarre django-compressor error where the page doesn't have permission to access any JS being compressed....

It turns out that because I have my repo stored on an NTFS formatted drive (I run my OSes on SSDs, and then have traditional HDDs for storage that let me access my files no matter what OS I boot), the permissions on the compressed files that get cached can't be set properly. If I move the repo to my home directory (and take up a fuckton of precious SSD space), problem solved.

I need to play with how that drive gets mounted for a more long-term fix, but gently caress the amount of time I wasted :negative:

BaronVonVaderham
Jul 31, 2011

All hail the queen!

Bob Morales posted:

In Vegas for a conference with a guy from accounting, who doesn’t have a company card so I’m using mine to buy our meals etc.

“I feel guilty having the company buy our food, it’s kind of expensive. Let’s take an Uber to Walmart and buy a case of bottled water and a box of powerbars”

Alright, we’re not exactly eating at five star restaurants here but the company has a meal policy of $30 or whatever, that’s what it’s for.

I made him buy me a $18 margarita on the strip with his personal funds.

Also, betweeen the conference cost, airfare, hotel, you’re making a big deal of like $200 in meals over a couple days?

gently caress that, eating well is compensation for making me fly out here and live out of a suitcase for a week (I have to go to HQ every couple months for no reason). I get $60/day + $5 for incidentals (i.e. stocking the hotel room with drinks) and I don't usually eat breakfast, plus most days lunch is catered, so I usually get an epic dinner after surviving the day in cubicle hell.

Even if I max it out every day, compared to the $1600 they're dropping on airfare and hotel, $60 x 5 days is not a big deal.

BaronVonVaderham
Jul 31, 2011

All hail the queen!

Walked posted:

DEV: "Hey there I need help with Ansible, Puppet, or Chef, can we do a conference call this afternoon?"

ME: "Sure I guess! I'd really like to know more about your use case so we can find the right solution"

DEV: <logs out of Teams>

< ~~~ time passes ~~~ >

DEV: "Hey are you ready to discuss the continuous integration"

:ssj:

YOURE JUST DROPPING BUZZWORDS AND DONT ACTUALLY KNOW WHAT YOU WANT AT ALL.

THEM: Hey, this stuff keeps crashing and taking down the whole system. We want to break it into separate docker containers so that stops happening.

ME: That's probably a good idea. Here you go. Please loop in DevOps, this is going to require some changes.

THEM: WAIT WHY DOES THIS REQUIRE MODIFYING DEPLOYMENTS AND BUILDS?! WHY CAN'T WE JUST DEPLOY YOUR CODE AS IS?!

It only took a month to explain it 19 different ways, but poo poo's finally going into prod tomorrow.

BaronVonVaderham
Jul 31, 2011

All hail the queen!

you ate my cat posted:

We're moving from a "write down the hours you worked and as long as your manager is cool with it we're good" system to one where you punch in and out on a digital time clock. All time under exactly 7.5 hours must be made up at the end of the shift or using PTO, down to the minute.

I get that payroll wants to be sure people are working the hours they're paid for, but drat. I thought I was finally too white-collar to punch a clock every day.

We seem to be moving in this direction, too :negative:

It drives my gf nuts even more than me. She's getting her doctorate in ABA, and this is such a horrible way to manage your employees. You pay someone for time, you get a butt in a chair. You pay someone for what they produce, you get people who actually have goals to meet and measurable outcomes you can use for performance reviews.

I've always felt way more motivated when my boss says "as long as you get your poo poo in by these deadlines who cares". You figure out how to get that poo poo done fast, you're rewarded with some time to slack off. You estimate the time wrong, you put in some late nights to pay for it. Either way, you get your poo poo done so you don't lose that freedom.

BaronVonVaderham
Jul 31, 2011

All hail the queen!
Pissing me off: I didn't plan anything tonight because my stuff was finally being put into prod with tonight's deployment. Given how staging blew up last week, I figured I should be on call to troubleshoot the build jobs again.

They didn't want me to be on standby after all. Instead, they wanted me to be the one to do the entire deployment :negative:. Not how I planned to spend my night....

Not pissing me off, though: poo poo deployed flawlessly. It seems like it's tradition to throw the noob into the deep end like this and it typically ends with horrible debugging nightmares until 2am. I'm so happy to break that tradition, though it's pretty miraculous given how huge this release was, never mind that a lot of it was my changing our whole deployment.

BaronVonVaderham
Jul 31, 2011

All hail the queen!

Wrath of the Bitch King posted:

That's a nice dream. Lets make a wish and hope it comes true.

For real though, it's nice when poo poo doesn't go sideways. It sucks to be FNG in a new environment.

Here's hoping. I can't really get a read on anyone, but we'll see in two more weeks when this sprint ends.

MC Fruit Stripe posted:

I believe what you're looking for is.

Congratulations. Your excellent performance reflected well upon yourself and instantly raised your esteem among your peers.

This one's at least true. They made me go last in standup today (usually I go first) and got applause when I said all of my multi-container stuff and new celery nonsense was working. Imposter syndrome is a bitch, even now with 6 years' experience, but even more so starting in a new company.

I feel like I've passed the tests and been accepted into the tribe now :unsmith:

Now excuse me while I pray to every deity ever imagined that we just rotate through the whole team on deployments so I don't have to do another one for 3 months. Thursdays already suck hard (all of our planning meetings piled into one day), but doubly so after working until 11 the night before.

BaronVonVaderham
Jul 31, 2011

All hail the queen!

Obsoletely Fabulous posted:

poo poo that isn’t pissing me off: :yotj: I handed in my laptop and card today. Feels so good. Now the India guy can fail on his own and I don’t have to hear the complaints. I wish I had more time before I started the new job but with a new baby that just isn’t in the cards.

Best feeling ever was when, after years of taking whatever I could get to not be homeless, I was able to take my time interviewing, pick somewhere that looked great, and make the deliberate choice to quit and take their offer.

It's too bad the company was bought out 4 months later and negated every single thing that made me choose them, but that just meant I got to do it again back in January :haw:

BaronVonVaderham
Jul 31, 2011

All hail the queen!
This piece of poo poo overpriced mac the company gave me against my will has failed to install literally every update it has ever attempted, today to the point that I had to figure out how to reboot into recovery mode and reinstall macOS completely.

BaronVonVaderham
Jul 31, 2011

All hail the queen!
It said "hey there's an update", I said "ok, install that poo poo". It downloaded a thing, attempted to reboot itself and imploded.

BaronVonVaderham
Jul 31, 2011

All hail the queen!

Virigoth posted:

Me, I'm the one pissing me off. My work ethic and persistence are in the shitter. This whole week and most of last week I've just kind of sat at my desk staring. I have plenty of interesting work to do and nothing blocking me but I just can't seem to push the keys to start the work. I just had a vacation so it's not that. What the gently caress me.

I don't know what it is, I started the project already and made good progress (usually I just procrastinate hardcore on starting, but once I get going I can keep at it). Today it's worrying about a sick pet who might be dying, but that doesn't explain my apathy all of last week.

BaronVonVaderham
Jul 31, 2011

All hail the queen!
Pissing me off: Working from home is great, but when you get sick not so much, since unless you're actually dying there's no real justification for a sick day.....especially when my current project is running so far over right now and I REALLY need to finish this poo poo :negative:

(if it wasn't for that last part, I'd probably burn a PTO day to go sleep, actually)

BaronVonVaderham
Jul 31, 2011

All hail the queen!
Not always (EDIT: to me....I'd never hold it against anyone working from home taking a sick day....I just really hate burning PTO if I don't absolutely have to, I hoard that poo poo). Most of the time if I worked in an office it was "I need quiet, I can't be around people", which I already have here. I can still sit in a chair and function, I'm just uncomfortable and tired.

But if it wasn't for this project being so behind I'd probably say gently caress it and go nap.

SECOND EDIT: This prompted me to go check my balances in payroll and discovered that I haven't been accruing any time off for the last 3 months. I'm sure this will be simple and not at all infuriating to resolve with HR.

BaronVonVaderham fucked around with this message at 18:19 on May 7, 2018

BaronVonVaderham
Jul 31, 2011

All hail the queen!
Huh. I was wrong in my sarcasm, they actually fixed my PTO issue pretty quickly and I have a week saved up already.

BaronVonVaderham
Jul 31, 2011

All hail the queen!
Pissing me off: Everything about JS.

I'm coming into hour 14 of this marathon debugging session, and I want to just burn it to the ground. Someone thought it was cool to store credit card details in the session context. In one place there is literally a hidden span with the id "credit-card-json" and I want to scream.

Just so many infuriating hours fighting with the new async "Promise" nonsense, missing semicolons, forgetting to add "var" in front of poo poo. Really makes me appreciate how loving wonderful Python is by comparison.

I was determined to have this thing working before standup at 10. Unless, miraculously, the next bug is the last, I don't see that happening :negative:

BaronVonVaderham
Jul 31, 2011

All hail the queen!
Negating my current all-nighter rage: I just won a raffle at work for free PTO :dance:

We did a fundraiser thing and the team that raised the most money was put into the drawing and apparently my name came out of the hat today.

BaronVonVaderham
Jul 31, 2011

All hail the queen!
So happy predictions in here were wrong. It's release night again and I'm not involved at all :)

BaronVonVaderham
Jul 31, 2011

All hail the queen!
I just found out that all-nighter was for nothing :bang:

When I finally traced down these bugs it revealed that due to the stupid way these processor and helper functions on the back end are built, my changes (removing that raw CC data and using a stripe token) will break the whole thing. It CAN be done, but requires much larger refactoring of those systems to match, which is way outside the scope of this story.

So now I have the most anticlimactic PR up with the code basically exactly how it looked at the end of day Monday, and I need a loving drink.

BaronVonVaderham
Jul 31, 2011

All hail the queen!
loving hell..... I lost about 5 hours of productivity chasing down a non-existent bug. It turns out there's a celery task that needs to be manually run from a django shell locally (there's no management command for some reason, it just runs periodically in prod) every 2 weeks or so to populate some data.

No one mentioned this, it's not documented anywhere. Just arcane knowledge passed from dev to dev through the generations.

BaronVonVaderham
Jul 31, 2011

All hail the queen!
My favorite comment was discovered in the bowels of legacy code at my last job. "TODO: Find a better way to do this."

I checked, and that comment had been added over two years prior and it was doing some really shady raw SQL poo poo that turned out to be the root cause of a half dozen bugs in the backlog.

BaronVonVaderham
Jul 31, 2011

All hail the queen!
Sigh. Been at this job 3 months. I finally felt like I was up to speed and settled in. I liked my coworkers, our new team lead was kicking some major rear end for us, I was finally fluent in our processes and comfortable in the sections of the codebase that my team handled.

At 2pm yesterday....

My boss: Last minute changes, you're going over to John Doe's team. It doesn't have a lead yet.
Me: Uh, ok. When does that go into effect.
Boss: Next sprint.

I assumed that meant NEXT SPRINT. But technically yesterday was still the tail end of last sprint, so "next sprint" really meant "tomorrow".

So I guess the two things pissing me off here are:

1) Fuuuuuuuuck. They're also completely changing how we do releases, branches, PRs, etc. So I feel like I'm back to square one after months of feeling like I don't know how anything works.
2) This sprint structure is so baffling. We lock code on Friday, but the sprint goes until Wednesday when we do deployment at night. I get deploying mid-week at night in case poo poo breaks (so we don't deploy Friday afternoon, or make someone give up their night, then get stuck scrambling all weekend), but it makes it feel like we only really have like 3 or 4 actual development days in the sprint, since the first few days are various planning and pointing meetings. I guess I'm more used to "sprint is 2 weeks from this Monday to next Friday", then we take care of release for the previous sprint the first day of the next sprint (and it's someone's task in the new sprint to do that) OR, better yet, we just have continuous integration so as things get tested in staging they merge into master and that's that.

BaronVonVaderham
Jul 31, 2011

All hail the queen!
Had my first full rage at this job today.

Working on something non-critical. It's a bug, but it's not breaking anything outside of the staff portal, and then only if people are being loving morons and trying to book 14 appointments into the same slot (my solution to this bug was "please just fire everyone too stupid to select the empty slots, I frankly don't understand how they survived the drive to work if they're that stupid".....or at least let me just kick an error). I need to set poo poo up to correct the mistakes of these idiots and automatically book them the way it should be done instead.

But that's not the rage-inducing part, just mildly frustrating. I had a fix working and pushed it out to a hotfix branch for testing.....and QA tells me it didn't work. Sentry tells me exactly where it failed, and it made no sense. It was a very simple `.filter()` call, but it did involve a property method as an argument, which for some reason was returning None in hotstage but worked totally fine locally. But even that wasn't worthy of rage....

I walked away to get dinner, and came back to my laptop to see a message saying now it broke a different way. I explain that I understand where it's breaking but not why. I'll take a look at it Tuesday, this is the first food I've seen all day and I have plans tonight.

"Oh, we REALLY need this working so this team we use in India can do their regression testing on Monday." (they're not off for our holiday over there).
"Um. Ok. I guess I'll cancel my plans...."
"Oh you don't have to do that! Just do it some time this weekend, but I just won't be around to help test it."

This same QA person left work EARLY today because holiday weekend traffic is just such a hardship. I'm supposed to stay until [undetermined] to fix this poo poo and/or just casually give up part of my holiday weekend, but oh btw I'm leaving work early to avoid traffic and *I* can't come in to help at all this weekend.

Hours later, I solved it. It's hacky but it works, and the passive-aggressively-named commits have been pushed up. I lost 3 pets in as many weeks and ended up in the ER on Wednesday.....I need a loving vacation, but I'll take a three day weekend.

(speaking of which, they hosed up my PTO poo poo again :bang:)

BaronVonVaderham
Jul 31, 2011

All hail the queen!

Thanks Ants posted:

Jesus gently caress man, take some sick days for your mental health. It's not your problem if your company is structured in a way that you aren't backed up by somebody else.

I've taken a couple. I'm trying to get the PTO poo poo straightened out so I can schedule a real vacation this summer (haven't taken one of those in.....2 years? spent last year changing jobs twice to get here).

Normally I should have more backup, but we just shuffled teams around so no one has any clue who's responsible for anything :smith:. I kind of want to count the number of emails in my trash from JIRA about one ticket being relabeled with different teams over and over today. I'd bet a significant amount of money it's at least in the mid-teens.

BaronVonVaderham
Jul 31, 2011

All hail the queen!

Obsoletely Fabulous posted:

Sorry for the loss of your pets. That is always really difficult and hard.

Thanks. I should clarify ONE didn't die. His brother did and sugar gliders can't be solitary, so I just had to give him up for adoption instead. Still hard but at least he's super happy with his new family of five other furballs :unsmith:

BaronVonVaderham
Jul 31, 2011

All hail the queen!
Had to spend the better part of a day proving piles of "bugs" one of our QA guys in India found are either:

1) Him doing the wrong thing (e.g. pressing "confirm appointment" instead of "reschedule" and wondering why the appointment doesn't change), or

2) Legit bugs, but only in extremely unlikely scenarios (e.g. 4 different customers trying to book the exact same appointment slot within 0.5 seconds, which he accomplished using 4 different browsers side by side), and which have NOTHING to do with my code, they already exist in prod and no one has noticed because that poo poo will never happen.

I finish addressing each of these things, and am immediately asked, "Ok, so did you fix the adhoc script yet?"

When the gently caress do you imagine I had time to do that when I have been in constant communication with you about what turned out to be nothing :bang:

Part of the problem is this was labeled a hotfix, but it isn't. It just needs to go out before the next release because the script I'm fixing needs to run prior to a migration (deletes duplicates in a table before applying a unique constraint to stop it from happening again). But QA sees "hotfix" and thinks OMG THE SKY IS FALLING :supaburn:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BaronVonVaderham
Jul 31, 2011

All hail the queen!
Email requesting my review on a PR. They want to piggyback some minor copy changes on that "hotfix" I've been working on.

Open the PR, I'm expecting 1 file changed, maybe 2 lines. I look, and there are like 4 characters changed for a copy change (pricing update), and the rest is the entire suite of settings and poo poo for our new CI testing stuff.

Me: Uh. Was this supposed to point at the release candidate branch where we just merged in the new CI stuff? If not, it looks like this needs a rebase, as it was clearly branched off of that.
QA: Nah it's supposed to go into hotfix, it's fine.
Me: This PR says it's about minor copy changes.
QA: It's fine.
Me: :bang: Please click the "files changed" tab at the top of this page.

It's so obvious they branched this off of the release candidate, made the copy change, then made a PR pointing at this hotfix branch (branched off of master, so the RC stuff for this sprint isn't in there). It shouldn't be this hard to convince someone a 4 character copy change shouldn't have over 150 lines of changes and to recheck their branching.