Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"
Thought I'd finally lucked my way into a nice one-year contract helpdesk role for my first proper job out of University, with a promise of a long list of interesting network toys to learn about on the job (VOIP, PABX and the like) and hint-hints of likely being kept on permanently after one year. Reading the job listing and in the interview it seems like that, anyway.

Turn up first day on Monday and it turned out to be a very well-disguised sales job transcribing smartphone sales for a bank :suicide:. Oh I will be learning to use those systems alright. Using being the key word. I swear they asked me helpdesk-y sounding questions in the interview and everything (as did I). The money and co-workers are admittedly nice, but it is soul-grindingly tedious work and not what I signed up for (Hell, at least I'd have to apply a modicum of thought in a Helpdesk job). I'm most definitely not going to last a year without chewing my arm off out of boredom or something, but I'm still gonna put effort in while quietly restarting the job hunt.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Collateral Damage posted:

Sounds like a good position where you can put in the bare minimum effort and get paid to job hunt.

I wish. Its the kind of job with daily team metrics for tickets closed and phonecalls made, and what pushes it into real tedium is that it's the kind of work that requires just enough effort that you cant idle your brain properly through it all and wind up mentally grinding gears.

I'm also fairly certain that I could automate about 90% of the job with a server script.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Collateral Damage posted:

Sounds like a good position where you can put in the bare minimum effort and get paid to job hunt.

Found one bonus in this regard. The intranet site shoots internal job listings right at your email address of choice, based on your selected categories and keywords. I don't have to do a thing while it'll hopefully funnel an actual IT job listing to my personal email account in the near future. :ninja:.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"
Two weeks into my new job and I never knew the phrase "agonizingly boring" could be so literal. The pay is good, the people are nice, but the work is duuuuulllll barely-technical customer service desk stuff that could be done by just about anyone warm enough to make an organ transplant team give pause. And I confirmed there's nothing involved with anything the job listing advertised beyond essentially "you get to use the software/network... as a user" :sigh:.

Gonna try talking to the tech guys that sometimes wander over to say hi from their side of the floor and quietly see if I can set myself up to be poached. Politely, and not a half-begged "TAKE ME WITH YOU! :qq:", if I can manage it.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Tab8715 posted:

Today I was told my presentation on SAML Token was great but it wasn't very "sexy".

How the hell am I suppose to respond to this?

Tell him you're flattered, but not interested.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Sheep posted:

Solution is in the thread title: you need to yell more. Your lack of erratic outbursts shows your inability to participate in the company culture and be a team player who really cares the company.

They tried to rope me into a teambuilding exercise today, but wouldn't you know it I'm terribly busy every time I was reminded to do it, and whoops forgot to do it altogether come quitting time :ninja:.

Note to self; if offered Kool-Aid at work, do not drink it.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Casull posted:

poo poo that pisses me off: I was at work today when I got a call from "Windows tech support." If I were at home I could've actually fired up a VM and had some fun.

You gotta load it up with just enough viruses and malware that it's visibly making GBS threads the bed without outright hard-locking entirely. See how long you can play innocent about it and get them to try and "fix" it.

Something not pissing me off; A Recruiter understanding that I have limited break time to talk about a nice-sounding Level 1&2 desktop support job (entirely in-house at the company sending out the offer, not roaming out in the wild horrors of customers/remote sites) and rescheduling a phone chat accordingly. :toot:

Incidentally you know your job's as tediously dull as you think it is when you've overhead at least two of your coworkers mutter how much they also hate it under their breath.

Neddy Seagoon fucked around with this message at 12:24 on Dec 3, 2015

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"
I have to say I can only respect a recruiter willing to admit they normally do phone interviews after 5pm, but not on a Friday afternoon because she'd rather just go home. :allears:.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

SIR FAT JONY IVES posted:

Draft up an email clearly stating the security concerns and then outline your plan to fix it. Send it to your higher ups. They will either tell you no, and then you can respond with "ok, CYA thanks" or yes, and then do it.

If he's running the department, may as well try laying down the law outright to see how far he can take it.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

ocall posted:

I honestly have no idea how I am going to get printing in check. Its crazy, there are tons of people who have more than one printer in their offices.

Let them die on their own terms, and perhaps try to get some kind of standardized allotment going for replacements? Everyone now gets one of X brand/model, and you'll get yours when both your old ones die, that sort of thing.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"
After several weeks of this tediously boring job I've sat down and done the math on staying vs bailing.

No overtime possible, no company benefits/discounts (hourly contractor working full-time), no actual technical aspect to the job the listing inplied, and no skills learned that translate to anything but the job itself. And the money's not all that much extra past income tax. I'd stay and jobhunt discreetly if Christmas wasnt impending, but, well...

What's the word?... Oh yes; :yotj:.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

NeuralSpark posted:

Because if his numbers are good enough, sales leadership won't fire him.

Dont suppose your department records calls for recordkeeping/training/whatever?

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

SIR FAT JONY IVES posted:

I just got of another phone interview with Amazon, during it the contracting job I spoke to yesterday called me to schedule an in person. I'm super exciting. At this point, though, I need to find a new job, I've taken too many "doctors appointments" , my old job is going to fire me.

My coworkers have taken an awful lot of intermittent asymptomatic sick days in the four weeks I've been at this job. In fact I think I'm the only one that's been here the entire time consistently. I dont think I'm the only one jobhunting...

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

hazzlebarth posted:

This is our "main rack", a complete mess with next to no documentation:

I hope in the relatively slow weeks at the end of the year I will find the time to do something about it. Coworkers are (naturally) uninterested and don't understand why I have a problem with it. :negative:

That thing looks like it whips out loose cables to ensnare interns prey and draw them in to feed.

Neddy Seagoon fucked around with this message at 13:32 on Dec 10, 2015

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

spog posted:

Dear IT grunt running a training course,

If you start your session with the exact phrase 'I am certified by Microsoft, so I know what I am talking about' then I am afraid I am not hold you in high regard.

Tell him you're certified by a university/college.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Garrand posted:

"I'm bored certified."

Please dont pass off my current in-job trained qualifications as your own, thankyou :colbert:.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

piss angel posted:

thinking of telling my manager tomorrow during our one on one that i don't feel that what he has me doing right now (standing up new environment and deploying to it, it's taking way longer than necessary because nobody can agree on who owns which tasks, but since it's priority i can't really do anything else) is at all a good use of my skillset and is bumming me out pretty badly to the point that i feel unmotivated

good idea/bad idea?

Better to do it now than when it starts showing in your work quality. Its why I'm finally quitting mine today before the tedium drives me insane. I have transcribed all the sales orders I can, I can transcribe no more :yotj:.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

piss angel posted:

i don't wanna quit because i love the company, it's just that they put me in a very lovely position on a very boring and tedious project without consulting me first

Sorry, I should've phrased it better. I just meant talk to your boss now before you make a problem of it yourself later through lack of care.

I'm freeeeeee!

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

NeuralSpark posted:

:sigh:

Guess what I spent my afternoon re-doing? My 12-years-on-the-job co-worker did this wiring job on our brand new storage array install. Broke a few strands of brand new OM3 while they were at it.

I bet if you wave a harddrive near that you could wipe it clean.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

flosofl posted:

Doubtful since a loop of fiber won't generate a magnetic field.

However, each one of those probably needs to be tested for fractures.

Whoops, I was still thinking of those well-laid cable runs from the Ticket thread :cripes:.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

DigitalMocking posted:

:wtf:

After *years* of fighting with horrible DSL for one of our remote locations I convinced management to put in a decent 10m/10m fiber drop. Hook it up for testing today, even though the drop is in Australia the VRF they built it on terminates in the UK...

:psyboom:

Guess they are selling the NBN off after all - to the UK! :tinfoil:.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"
A phone call came in today from a recruiter. Apparently they saw my profile on Seek (Australian job-searching website) and despite my qualifications and preferences being very clearly IT support-focused, he really wanted to pitch me a non-technical customer support job just because my last job was one. After he'd asked what I was looking for and I'd told him I was looking for desktop support and the like. Something tells me I'd have dodged a bullet even if I was looking for that sort of work.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

CitizenKain posted:

We have a bunch of old laptops that instead of being wiped and handed out to IT are just being sent to Staples for their e-waste pickup. When asked they were doing that, the response from management was "We don't want someone throwing away a laptop and someone finding it in the garbage, then checking the serial number that it was ours, we might be fined."

Which as far as dumb excuses go is only slightly better then claiming the machines are haunted by ghosts.

You might want to explain that e-waste generally involves a crusher to reclaim the raw/trace materials. If anyone can get a serial number or secure data out of one after that, more power to them.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Aunt Beth posted:

As someone who works in field service for a different IT megacorp, this is in no way unusual for HP or anyone. The poor first line schmucks dig in their heels about some non-issue while the customer gets angrier and angrier until finally the customer manages to contort the situation in such a way as to get their usual field tech onsite, who does whatever insignificant repair the phone people were trying to stonewall, commiserates over the quality of remote support, and then goes home and drinks.

I actually got to see this happen first-hand from the other side, listening in on a call for training purposes while I was still at my customer service job. The man just would not listen to the poor guy on the phone telling him what the actual problem was and stuck to some kind of mental script like it was Moses' Ten Commandments rather than escalate or ask anyone else on the team. Most of my co-workers were actually really good and competent, but he was just a loving moron.

Course I also had to try not to swear when the guy on the phone said his internet browser was IE6.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"
poo poo not pissing me off; I have a phone interview tomorrow for a Network Operator role :toot:. A proper second-stage "this could take up to an hour" one, not the initial courtesy call. Casual day shifts and occasional on-call... by remote from home, and they've freely admitted it's largely a stable boring role so even the job listing encourages a "second skill of benefit to the organization" because it gets quiet sometimes.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"
So basically she was the only one in the chain pitching a fit while even those above her were just shrugging and accepting it was out of your team's hands?

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"
Magical Jellybean is your friend for those situations.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"
Got a call this afternoon from another recruitment agency asking what I was looking for because they had a potential offer; yes I am looking at IT support roles and... No, I dont want another nontechnical customer support job on the phones. :cripes:

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Ynglaur posted:

IT has it's own budget? That's amazing.

I wasn't aware it was possible to quantify blood, caffeine, and nigh-lethal alcoholism into a monetary value.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"
How does that even work? Telling cooks to cook food hotter so it's done quicker or something?

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Tab8715 posted:

Why does everyone have to continually ask "When are you free for a meeting?"

Seriously, my calendar has been completely shared for over a year just open it and setup a meeting between business hours.

If it's from the non-tech guys, it's probably deep-ingrained sucking up to get any kind of time with important people.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

beepsandboops posted:

We have a few new laptops budgeted for this year. Do we give one to the business analyst who travels all the time and uses a 5 year old laptop with Windows 7 Home?

Nahhh, let's buy a new one for the sales woman who has a year-old laptop that she never uses. And let's buy her a really nice one too, so she can impress all our clients when she's on the road.

Give her the new laptop, flatten the image on her year-old one and give it to the business analyst? :shrug:.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

devmd01 posted:

How about a totally bitchin' modem that just came back in a pile of crap from a branch location we spun off to another company?

Thing is older than I am, still powers on. I might just have to give a shot at turning it into an HTPC case.

That's clearly a critical network component, and you need to get it fixed and returned promptly :colbert:.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"
I got the network operator job! :toot:

Only the casual position instead of full-time, so my hours are gonna fluctuate between early-morning and afternoon starts but at least I get to sit and watch a fiber-optic network while learning stuff.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Tab8715 posted:

What the hell do you get with $27,000 at a Strip Club?

Laid.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Thanks Ants posted:

Our leased line provider wants to charge us for a block of IPv4 addresses. Nothing wrong with that, until they mention that they would provide them using CGNAT. I…what? :psyduck:

Can you even still get IPv4 addresses? I thought the final-reserve, absolutely-the-last, pinky-swear blocks were gone?

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

sloshmonger posted:

Had to get out of the office to a site to look for some new telephone work done by a subcontractor.

Oh, hello!

Shame the subcontractor will have to redo it all after the fire's burned out, but them's the breaks :stare:.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Wizard of the Deep posted:

If everyone else is offsite, there are less witnesses when you hide the bodies. Win/win.

Stuff the corpse in the printer and return it to the company as "defective". They'll get the message.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"
So I was expecting to get an email with confirmation of my new network operator job and the details regarding it.... and instead it turns up in the mail. Two copies, asking me to sign and return one. I call my new boss asking if scanning and emailing them's okay, and his reply is basically "it would be if it was to him, but the CEO wants paper copies", so now I gotta mail it back :psyduck:. This is a tech company.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Ynglaur posted:

Are you in Europe? Electronic signature is not considered a binding contract in some countries.

Australia. My last job was at a major national company and they used DocuSign.