Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

dotster
Aug 28, 2013

MF_James posted:

this.is.seriously.important. Working from home 1 day a week will save me probably $15 and a 2hour round trip commute, allow me to sleep an extra hour, and not want to slaughter everyone since I work 6 days a week and spend about as much time in a vehicle (truck/car) as I do sleeping a week.

This is the best part besides not having to ever put on pants, I saved several hundred a month working from the house. I did make a habit of going to the office about once every two weeks just so people would see me occasionally and think I still worked there.

Sickening posted:

It appears my boss has just outlawed working from home for all the admins. He decided this while he was working from home it appears. It seems he is worried about our dept image if we don't have all the staff in the office everyday.

The irony hurts.

Does your company have a telecommuter policy? I got reclassified as a telecommuter so I was not expected to be in the office ever, my boss cares about what people get done and can quantify than what people feel like is being done though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dotster
Aug 28, 2013

When I deal with CC: whores I just make sure to keep everyone copied CC'ed on all subsequent emails even if they are dropped after the initial email. It is also good to send several status emails on the issue daily so everyone knows the status, it must be urgent if they copied everyone. Be very polite and professional and their manager will take care of it for you in most cases. :)

dotster
Aug 28, 2013

EAT THE EGGS RICOLA posted:

:mad: NO COMPLAINING IN THE COMPLAINING THREAD :mad:

Maybe he wants more manly complaining with chewing tobacco and lots of spitting. He is pretty much right though, PDF is how to send a resume, Web 2.0 has been over since 2009 or something. :)

dotster
Aug 28, 2013

FISHMANPET posted:

I haven't deleted an email (other than automated alerts) so I've got 6 years of email. Gmail shows me as having 92k messages, and that takes up 1.11GB of space.

I literally don't know how I could function if email got deleted after 90 days. There's so much policy and procedure that lives exclusivly in email, if I wasn't able to look any of that up I think the whole organization would just fall over.

I just looked at my archive PST and I have 14 years worth of email (almost 27GB). I regularly search back through stuff that is years old for things that people ask for, 90 days is crazy short, we don't even finish a single project in 90 days.

dotster
Aug 28, 2013

namol posted:

PCI compliance. We had a breach last year some where in the card data environment and so visa is coming in to audit us this year. They've blown this poo poo off for around 10 months and now it's hurry up and get it done. We can't have the PCI vlan touch the VMware servers because of some bad magic or some poo poo. We're using jump boxes to get into the PCI environment and we're connecting to those with dameware. Why we're not going with a terminal server running max encryption and two factor authentication? Because someone could have a key logger installed on their PC. This whole thing is a clusterfuck and I highly doubt we'll pass this audit with flying colors. I'm beyond flabbergasted with dealing with this. We're taking all the advice from these consultants instead of making well informed decisions. God drat I need a drink

There is nothing like a bunch of PWC 23 yr olds fresh out of college telling you how to run your IT department. :suicide: