Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ynglaur
Oct 9, 2013

The Malta Conference, anyone?
It pisses me off when some cloud architect comes in the room to tell me how some application works using nothing but Salesforce.com as a reference. It pisses me off even more when it's clear he doesn't actually know how Salesforce.com is architected. It pisses me off most when I realize 5 minutes into the meeting that he doesn't even know how to spell the name of the application which he's trying to describe.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ynglaur
Oct 9, 2013

Today I had to explain to a help desk technician that running Internet Explorer in administrator-mode will not magically resolve a domain name. I had to walk him through how SiteMinder changes URLs, but still had to humor him by typing in both the original URL, as well as what it should like under SiteMinder.

Neither worked, of course, because the whole purpose of a VPN solution is to make it look like you can get access to what you need, without actually providing such access.

Ynglaur
Oct 9, 2013

Today's fun: a Java application which insists on using a very particular, older JRE version, and upon not seeing it, happily connects the user to java.com, whereupon said application is amazed--amazed!--that the version it insists of using is no longer there. Maybe because the JRE it's looking for is 3 years old?

This application has had this horrible, broken behavior since before 2005, and several versions later they still haven't fixed it. :smithicide:

Ynglaur
Oct 9, 2013

And that's why I prefer working for private companies.

Ynglaur
Oct 9, 2013

SEKCobra posted:

I thought about banning any password used more than 15 times, simply by comparing the hashes. Then I remembered that I salt them. :saddowns:

This post scares me when I think about the number of systems that prevent password re-use.

Ynglaur
Oct 9, 2013

Actually, I was wrong. I assumed the salt was on a per-password basis, rather than per-user. I suppose I shouldn't be concerned by password re-use policies, then.

Ynglaur
Oct 9, 2013

The bad thing here isn't the up or down search: it's that your minion isn't using a proper text editor with multiple-file search, regular expressions, syntax highlighting, and a billion other useful functions.

PSPad is my favorite, though Notepad++, TextPad, and Sublime Text are quite good as well.

Ynglaur
Oct 9, 2013

Bob Morales posted:

Or install something like Cygwin or some other way to run 'grep' inside of WIndows.

grep is great, but having almost 1GB of CygwinX files just for grep is just painful.

Ynglaur
Oct 9, 2013

Pissing me off: calling attention to the fact that I probably should have read more before assuming I couldn't take smaller parts from CygwinX. :crow:

Ynglaur
Oct 9, 2013

Caged posted:

Experience has told me that anyone who references their position in the Gartner Quadrant has a terrible product.

Not always true, but I think it's safe to say that one's position in the magic quadrant is not necessarily indicative of a given product's fit or capability.

Ynglaur
Oct 9, 2013

dennyk posted:

If your app is requiring a specific point release or something, it's probably just lovely (and it is also creating a major security risk if you can't install patches, since Java is mostly made of giant gaping security flaws held together with a little duct tape). The major releases are pretty different, but apps written for the previous Java version (and often even older versions as well) will usually work in the new one, barring certain specific incompatibilities. (Apps written for the new version generally won't run under the old one, of course.) That said, most vendors will only certify a particular major version (usually whichever one was around at the time they started writing their current codebase), so if you need vendor support, you're stuck with whatever they wrote it for. Luckily it's not too painful to run multiple versions of Java on most systems.

Can I quote you on this? Please? I've been annoyed by this by a particular vendor for the last 8 years. Their app literally examines the JRE version at launch, and if it doesn't match exactly, just immediately fails. (Actually, it's worse: it directs you to Java.com, which of course...only has the latest JRE version.)

Ynglaur
Oct 9, 2013

macado posted:

We had one loving legacy single LOB web application that is used by approximately 50 people. It is/was preventing us from upgrading to the latest version of Java 7 Update 45 on ~7800 computers because it breaks this one application. Higher ups were concerned if these users happened to switch computers, never mind the loving security implementations of running ancient versions of Java.

There was no technical reason why I couldn't upgrade all other computers and exclude those users but internal policies and bureaucracy prevented it.

Today I finally got go ahead to approve Java 7 Update 45 in Patch Management and created an exclusion group for those 50 people...

Sometimes I think it would be simpler to just provision a VM for these types of applications. Windows licenses aren't all that bad...heck, it's Java. It should work on Linux. Right? :v:

Ynglaur
Oct 9, 2013

Powdered Toast Man posted:

First day at $newjob was good okay. I was given two brand new desktops, both with Core i5-3570K processors instead of nicer i7's, and 8 gigs of RAM...both with 27" 1080 monitors, which weren't even IPS...one is for the limited Windows stuff we do, the other I could put whatever I wanted on so long as it fit on the 5GB hard drive. Yep, I'm liking this.

:swoon:

In the interest of keeping this thread on topic, I fixed your post.

Ynglaur
Oct 9, 2013

A huge amount of Novell's revenue is from maintenance agreements with government organizations. Those organizations never upgrade, and happily pay 18% of the license cost annually for technology that's decades old.

edit: fixed typo

Ynglaur
Oct 9, 2013

luminalflux posted:

Developers putting over 200k files in an S3 bucket, with no directory structure :catstare:

Does S3 support tagging files?

Ynglaur
Oct 9, 2013

Even understanding that compensation numbers on Glassdoor tend to be exaggerated a bit (people exaggerate their compensation, even anonymously :shepspends:), you'd think recruiting departments would at least glance at the numbers now and then.

Ynglaur
Oct 9, 2013

Caged posted:

One of the directors of a small business I fortunately have nothing to do with professionally just suggested solving the issue of their 2007 XP laptops being slow and about to be running an unsupported OS by having one of their staff wipe them and install XP SP1 and then turn off Windows Update, "so it can't slow down again".

Jesus gently caress you tight bastard, just buy new laptops. If your business isn't making enough to be able to afford that then sell everything and close it down because it's clearly not worth the hassle.

This type of manager will happily bitch about his worthless IT department the moment some virus from 2007 compromises the network and publishes customer PII.

Ynglaur
Oct 9, 2013

Lum posted:

I thought the response to salary questions was "It's covered by NDA".

This is a very good idea, although it won't work if you worked in a public sector job where such information is published.

Ynglaur
Oct 9, 2013

DrAlexanderTobacco posted:

A friend of mine just bluntly states he doesn't like the cause.

"I don't like ducks. :) " It seems to work quite well! Most people don't know what to say to that.

:v: Hi, would you like to donate to the Wounded Warrior Project?
:reject: No. I don't like disabled vets.
:v: Really? Well, how about donating to the United Negro College Fund?
:reject:
:v: You know, on second thought: don't answer that. Never mind.

Ynglaur
Oct 9, 2013

I'll never understand why some people don't realize that one works to get paid. I'm glad your wife was able to find a better employer.

Ynglaur
Oct 9, 2013

Pissing me off: Delta's lovely, horrible loving webpage. Changing the login location from the top-left to the bottom-left randomly is bad enough. Using a lovely 4-digit PIN is bad enough. But then to utterly fail to allow a user to login after watching little fields pop out to enter your last name, is just loving horrible.

Username
Password (that's more than 4 digits)

Why isn't it that simple?

For more fun, I tested on Firefox (with and without NoScript), IE11 (with and without compatibility views), and Chrome: Delta's site is hosed up on all of them.

Ynglaur
Oct 9, 2013

Khisanth Magus posted:

So, the company I work for was bought by a huge corporation at the beginning of 2013. They are still switching systems over. The latest thing to switch over was our timekeeping system. I find the whole time keeping regulations here slightly insane. First of all, you are supposed to fill in your time card each day. As a new policy due to the integration into corporate's timekeeping system if you do not have your timecard finished and electronically signed by 2pm on Friday your paycheck will not be direct deposited, and you will instead get a paper check at some unspecified day in the future. As salaried employees. Wtf.

This sounds like a prime candidate for an automated script. I don't suppose you have a copy of WinRunner...

Ynglaur
Oct 9, 2013

COBOL is in high enough demand that Computer Science programs are starting to teach it again. It's not sexy work, so lots of young techies want nothing to do with it. At the same time, there are lots of legacy systems that nobody wants to upgrade, but the support is retiring out of the work force. Supply and demand is keeping compensation fairly high, especially for people with a lot of experience.

Ynglaur
Oct 9, 2013

Pissing me off today: Explaining how MD5 can be used to verify file integrity. That alone isn't too bad. The fact that I'm explaining it to a data integration testing lead makes me want to :commissar:.

Ynglaur
Oct 9, 2013

Smoke posted:

A response to a ticket(well, contact form that's submitted via e-mail to a specific team) came in the mail today. The responder was requesting more details as everything seemed OK on their side.

The original message was from september 2012, complete with clearly visible date/timestamp.

At least someone had the courtesy to reply with "It looks like you have a bug in your system because this is from 2012".

My personal explanation is that someone sorted their mails by name rather than date and just got to work responding to everything, considering the form was sent in by someone whose last name starts with an A.

Every day I am amazed that everything still runs given the stunning displays of screwups big and small.

And I thought the 45-day response time I got back the other day was bad. I'm not sure if 16 months would piss me off or make me happy.

Ynglaur
Oct 9, 2013

Pissing me off: mouth-breathers on conference calls. Learn to use loving mute already. Lync and Skype both support hotkeys.

Ynglaur
Oct 9, 2013

Che Delilas posted:

Yeah I'm sure it was some extremely specific and unnecessary check that a developer added in, somehow.
HP ALM 11.5 literally checks the user agent string a browser sends it, and unless it's whatever two version of IE it supports, it just auto fails to load. If you provide the wrong user agent string, it will advance to the next screen.

This is even more horrible because it's not really a web application. It's a "web based application", which was marketing-speak at the turn of the millennia for "Java application that we make you launch from a web browser because the Internet is cool and client-side applications are passé."

Ynglaur
Oct 9, 2013

incoherent posted:

The device is a laptop, so there isn't anything they can get at...I just setup exchange 2010 for the org so they can use apple mail app. However, after I sent over the TCO of this rogue purchase vs buying it through our channels management will know there were very noticeable savings to be had (and every penny counts in our death march to insolvency).

Also, they did not buy apple care. And i'll be keeping that omittance under my hat.

Just blacklist the laptop's MAC address in your routers. I'm still amazed that organizations don't run MAC address whitelists for their internal networks. DoD was doing that over 10 years ago. The look on people's faces when the military police showed up to see some guy on guard duty plugging his personal laptop into the wall was hilarious.

Then again, such things can make life hell for contractors or consultants, both of which tend to be expensive resources. You really don't want to pay $100-$300/hour for somebody to twiddle their thumbs while you determine that yes, indeed, they know how to run antivirus software, use full-disk encryption, and their OS is 2 versions ahead of yours, fully patched.

Ynglaur
Oct 9, 2013

Volmarias posted:

The variant of that which I've heard isn't that there's no support, it's that there's no one to turn around and sue if a software fault happens which costs your company money.
I've heard this before, too, and the question I always pose is: when was the last time a major software company was (successfully) sued due to a defect in its software? I understand settlements for this type of thing would be private, but seriously: when was the last time someone sued Microsoft, Oracle, SAP, Salesforce.com, Informatica, NetSuite, <pick your vendor> because of a bug?

I understand the CYA aspect: I just don't see any shareholder (or owner, or partner, or whatever) value in it.

Ynglaur
Oct 9, 2013

Pissing me off today:

:v: I'm not sure we want to use this data hub you've created.
:j: Don't worry, it has every possible piece of business data you'd ever want. It's way better than that old data warehouse.
:v: Okay, um, I'd like such-and-such data with the employee ID stamped on it please.
:j: The what?
:v: The employee ID. You know, the unique business key for employees? It's used enterprise-wide.
:j: We don't have that.
:v: You don't have the unique business key for employees.
:j: Why would we need that?
:cripes:

Ynglaur
Oct 9, 2013

The only problem I had with Windows 8.1 is that my Authentec IE add-on caused IE11 to start crashing. It was utterly miserable to troubleshoot.

Ynglaur
Oct 9, 2013

nitrogen posted:

No man, I'm serious.

Customer just askd her (and us) during a call. "When is X going to get done?"

Her response?

"I don't know, when are you going to sign the contract? As soon as you sign the contract, it'll be 21 business days from that point."

This woman says "scope creep" more often than Jay from Clerks says 'gently caress'. This is awesome.

I inherited a project several years ago where my predecessor had delivery dates in the contract. The customer signed the contract several months later than originally planned. The obvious occurred.

And that's why every contract I write specifies duration in weeks.

Ynglaur
Oct 9, 2013

PMs who have zero technical skills also drive me up the wall backwards and make my head rotate 360 degrees. I'm probably too far in the opposite direction, and need to better control my urge to dive into a configuration and just Fix The drat Thing, but it still amazes me how many PMs in IT can't even be troubled to so much as look at a log file to try to understand something.

Don't get me wrong: I'm fine if they're not an expert, but at least demonstrate some interest in the technology being implemented. If not, why are you an IT PM? Why not go PM something else, in some corporate function that interests you?

Ynglaur
Oct 9, 2013

I wonder how many connections are going to break when that CRT falls off the edge?

Ynglaur
Oct 9, 2013

Two co-workers--both of whom get cranky--complaining to me about how cranky the other co-worker is. It's called "work". At "work", you don't always get to hang out with people you like. If you somehow manage to like every person on your 50-person project team, that's great, but for goodness' sakes stop bitching, do your best to get along, and enjoy the project as much as you can.

Ynglaur
Oct 9, 2013

I think a virus would be preferable to that amount of crapware. Seriously: what's the difference at that point?

Ynglaur
Oct 9, 2013

Volmarias posted:

Another former Amazon employee here.

5 is "one person is inconvenienced but not blocked"
4 is "one person is blocked."
3 is "multiple persons are blocked"
2 is when people actually start getting paged and people care about the issue.
1 is comparatively rare, and usually A Good Time Is Had By All. I also highly doubt that Bezos gets immediately notified unless Amazon.com is serving everyone blank pages for the last hour with no resolution in sight, and reporters are making a fuss.

If you can get multiple people to complain about the same issue, you have a better chance of it being looked at, because it becomes a sev 3.

This is actually a pretty good categorization system. I might just borrow this for my current project, since it's pissing me off that the QA team can't describe their criteria for defect severities.

Ynglaur
Oct 9, 2013

In at-will employment states in the US, smokers are not considered a protected class, so he might not have a leg to stand on. That said, I'm sure your boss' boss would be thrilled at the additional recruiting and severance costs incurred by your boss.

Ynglaur
Oct 9, 2013

Or you can just do your civic duty. Nobody likes paying taxes either, but only the most extreme libertarians or anarchists deny their utility. Juries are a tax on your time, and preferable to the tribunal system that would otherwise needs replace it.

Pissing me off? How "jury of one's peers" has been corrupted to preclude those with any knowledge of the situation. The original intent was the exact opposite.

Edit: but it's still okay to be pissed off at the summons.

Ynglaur fucked around with this message at 11:06 on Feb 11, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ynglaur
Oct 9, 2013

Good counter-points above.

Returning to our topic: people who wear heavy fragrance on a plane. We haven't even taken off yet and I'm already nauseous from it. Holy gently caress just shower or something instead if you reek that badly. Better yet: take a loving car.