Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

PBS
Sep 21, 2015

devmd01 posted:

gently caress adp time clock support.

That is all.

I dealt with them for 2 months trying to get broken image references fixed on the site. I can't count the number of times I was told it was an issue with java in my environment (despite not using java at all).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PBS
Sep 21, 2015

hihifellow posted:

Yeah this is (one of) the reasons I'm only making $46k as a sysadmin over everything that isn't a phone, piece of networking equipment, VM host, or clinical software.

On the plus side, a recruiter got in touch with me out of the blue about a Citrix admin position and after all the posts from the recruiter goon (I'm sorry I forgot your forum name!) and the fact the recruiter was local and sounded decent I was honest about my current salary and desired salary and they almost didn't believe me when I told them what I make now. Here's hoping I get a nice :yotj: as a christmas present.

Ouch, my company starts our unqualified T1 helpdesk employees at that rate. (Not in a crazy expensive city)

PBS
Sep 21, 2015

skooma512 posted:

I make 44k for desktop support... in LA... with 24/7 on call rotations :smith:

That sucks, keep looking I guess. 46 is just the starting, I know some make into the 50s. (One of the 50k+ guys doesn't even have any kind of IT background)

I'm not sure if it's intentional or some kind of HR error. I've always wondered what other people make for that role.

PBS
Sep 21, 2015

the spyder posted:

Last week, I sent a polite, yet scathing email to a consultant about his terrible communication skills.

This week, I find out he's being brought on... as our director.

gently caress me.

gently caress that sucks. I sent out an email to a consultant that kept making stupid tickets only to find out he reported directly to one of our C-Levels. His title didn't really match that position for whatever reason.

PBS
Sep 21, 2015

myron cope posted:

The help desk at my job irritates me. They will gladly open 10 tickets for the same issue instead of using even 1 brain cell to think "huh this seems familiar did I already open 6 of these tickets? Well better keep opening them"

It helps their numbers I guess but it really bothers me. Obviously why caring about raw ticket numbers over actually helping people is a problem. When performance reviews (and bonus/raises/etc) depend on numbers, give them numbers I guess.

Another funny thing is nobody here gives a gently caress about ticket times, they only care if a ticket escalates. They only escalate if you don't respond in a certain amount of time. In theory there's an sla for closing times, but for whatever reason nobody cares about it at all.

Sounds familiar, except for the caring about escalations part.

PBS
Sep 21, 2015

Sirotan posted:

I work in healthcare for a company with around 200 employees and 16 physical sites around the state. My department has 2.5 people. When I started 5 years ago we had less staff and sites and 5 IT staff. :(

Pretty sure little people still count as a whole person.

PBS
Sep 21, 2015

CitizenKain posted:

I think we paid as much or more for an outside company to confirm wages weren't up to par then it would have cost to just give everyone a raise.

Sounds about right.

People at my company complained in an independent survey about compensation being less than ideal. The response was to change a few benefits that are only helpful in specific uncommon situations. I think they calculated out what the cheapest thing they could do that seemed useful was.

PBS
Sep 21, 2015

flosofl posted:

gently caress that. Anyone *above* that should as well. They gently caress with my comp time, that's when I religiously adhere to my hiring agreement. Salary=40 hours per week. Need extra? Sorry no extra to give.

On paper we're all technically less than 40 hours a week, we're all expected to work 40 hours though.

PBS
Sep 21, 2015

Potato Salad posted:

Regardless, getting over salary envy is important for maintaining friendships with coworkers.

Yeah, still working on this. It's really not easy sometimes.

PBS
Sep 21, 2015

DigitalMocking posted:

I emailed them.

They knocked 12 dollars off the price and replied with "We don't price match with Amazon." Ok then.

Why'd they even bother to knock the 12$ off? Could have just left it with "eff that".

PBS
Sep 21, 2015

hihifellow posted:

Speaking of management systems, I wish people would stop logging in to my servers, opening a management console, and then never signing their session off. Found one of my Citrix controllers throwing high memory utilization warnings because two people with sessions with weeks of idle time were taking up almost a GB of memory. They do this with the file servers too.

It's even caught some of them when they changed their password and their idle sessions flipped out and locked their accounts.

We get that last one a good bit. Had one guy a while back who'd been logged into some random server for more than a year, for some reason he only started having lockout issues recently.

It's amazing how many people say "No." when you ask them if there are any servers they could be logged into, or if there are any servers that they've ever at any point remoted into. Even when they'd only done it a few weeks or a month ago.

PBS
Sep 21, 2015

Collateral Damage posted:

You know you can set a group policy to enforce a timeout of disconnected and/or idle remote sessions, right?

Yes, I know it's an option. The GPOs weren't being enforced on that machine for whatever reason.

PBS
Sep 21, 2015

Potato Alley posted:

.....loving idiot rear end America we can't even get chip & PIN right and 10 years after Europe started doing chip & PIN we now have chip and signature HOW THE gently caress DO YOU UPGRADE THE SWIPE TO A CHIP BUT LEAVE THE SIGNATURE PART WHICH IS 80% OF THE ENTIRE INSECURITY OF THE CARD SYSTEM TO BEGIN WITH

Not to mention it takes a lot longer.

Card swipe, 1/4th of a second.

Chip read, 15 seconds.

For some reason the only place (I've been) that has fast chip readers is walgreens and their units look about 3 years old. Seems like everywhere else I go has units that are less than a year old with huge LCD displays and slow chip readers.

PBS
Sep 21, 2015

SubjectVerbObject posted:

Pissing me off. Agent desktop software gets installed this week. It's so exciting! We get to login to our phones and take calls!

The people affected are all highly technical engineers, and the company is not providing any information to us besides how to use the new app. The training is going to be fun because there will be some drone there telling us how to login and our questions will be along the lines of 'why are we being demoted to call center agents?'

Nothing feels better than the day you realize you will no longer ever have to log in to your agent ID again.

I don't know your situation, but generally it doesn't get better with call taking responsibilities. You may want to find another position within your company or elsewhere.

PBS
Sep 21, 2015

RFC2324 posted:

I was once in the basement of a DC(for a power company no less) where I got to see the buildings UPS. It was literally 300 car batteries hooked up in series feeding into a transformer.

You're not saying that's a bad thing right? Believe it's a fairly common configuration for whole building ups systems.

PBS
Sep 21, 2015

RFC2324 posted:

And here my experience has been that the common configuration is a drat generator.

Oh, yeah the batteries are for supplying stable power and to keep things running with the power drops.

They really didn't have generators anywhere?

PBS
Sep 21, 2015

Lightning Jim posted:

I hope they didn't lie to me about not being frozen in place due to change of position

I'll be dealing with this pretty soon. I have a chance to move into a much higher level position in another department. I know it's going to be a huge pain in the rear end because I haven't been in my "current" position for a year yet.

I'm going to be really pissed if it impedes my progress. I know for a fact that "rule" has been broken on a few occasions.

PBS fucked around with this message at 18:41 on Jun 18, 2016

PBS
Sep 21, 2015

nexus6 posted:

He just installs adobe reader

What about Google Ultron? If he's not installing that as well he obviously doesn't know what he's doing.

PBS
Sep 21, 2015

RFC2324 posted:

How much is the VMWare licensing for this?

You can get it for free legally.

https://my.vmware.com/en/web/vmware/evalcenter?p=free-esxi6

The newer versions have gone down hill IMO, you don't get the web manager and the vsphere client won't let you manage everything.

PBS
Sep 21, 2015

hihifellow posted:

Unless you're talking about something else, I'm using the web manager on the free version of 6.0 right now.

It's kind of bad, but I'm using it.

Well I'll be damned, you're right. Still seems rather limited, but I'll have to look around with it more.

PBS fucked around with this message at 00:15 on Jul 10, 2016

PBS
Sep 21, 2015
I think some people just like meetings because it means they don't need to do actual work.

PBS
Sep 21, 2015

Bob Morales posted:

Same here. We can buy Keurig cups at the front desk.

Lol.

PBS
Sep 21, 2015

Bob Morales posted:

It would be nice to have that kind of job security.

There are a ton of people at my company that have been there that long or nearly that long, but it's probably because none of them have any ambition.

PBS
Sep 21, 2015

Neddy Seagoon posted:

Create (or find) the documentation for the actual severity requirements on tickets. If you have a ticketing system in place, there should theoretically be some documentation on what actually quantifies a Critical outage/ticket. If not, make some and see if you can get someone to sign it because it looks nice and professional and should be adhered to by the helldesk peons or whatever.

We have that, doesn't stop people from doing it. (Various reasons, 'this is a hands on customer', 'my deadline is in 3 minutes')

PBS
Sep 21, 2015
Had a memory stick go bad, ran MS's mem check util all night with no errors, ran memtest86+ all day with no errors. Finally decide to start pulling the sticks, find the bad one. (home computer btw)

The manufacturer no longer sells single modules of that size, not going to give them my money for a whole new kit, so I bought a whole new set from another brand.

It lasted four years, which isn't too bad. The rest of the components (sans GPU) are all about seven years old.

PBS
Sep 21, 2015

Zamujasa posted:

Project Fi made me cancel my Google Voice number :sigh:

Same here, pissed me off.

How can you not support your own product?

PBS
Sep 21, 2015

Bigass Moth posted:

My wife has spent the last ten minutes talking her mother through HBO go registration on a fire TV stick over the phone. The directions are literally right on the TV.

At least it's not you I guess

PBS
Sep 21, 2015

ookiimarukochan posted:

Has he been thinking about getting a new chair for his office? Has anyone pointed him at the emperor?

Our EOC needs those.

PBS
Sep 21, 2015

Ynglaur posted:

You guys should really just use SnagIt. Use Jing if you done want to pay.

ShareX is a free alternative. It's quite powerful.

PBS
Sep 21, 2015

porkface posted:

He was in a special unit. It's classified.

Covertly honorably discharged

PBS
Sep 21, 2015

The Fool posted:

Not surprising, just annoying. Especially since I recently moved into a new apartment and there's so much goddam noise on 2.4 that I can't get a reliable signal in my bedroom.

Don't have 5ghz devices?

PBS
Sep 21, 2015

The Fool posted:

The junker laptop I use to watch Netflix in bed doesn't.

You could get a cheap wifi dongle I guess, or prosumer gear.

I've really enjoyed the Ubiquiti gear I bought, their UniFi line is pretty easy to manage. The UI was kind of sparse at first, but they've been slowly filling out the features.

Their APs are pretty nice for the price as well. I've got 150 neighboring access points and haven't really noticed any issues.

PBS
Sep 21, 2015

sfwarlock posted:

I had the same problem and I found out this month that the 2x2 n dongle I got from Monoprice bluescreens my laptop if it comes unplugged. A little Googling seems to suggest this is a common issue.

I gave up and ran a network cable to my bedside.

Yeah, most of them seem fairly crappy.

PBS
Sep 21, 2015

Thanks Ants posted:

How the gently caress is

1. Try thing, get a failure
2. Check logs
3. Chase down errors in logs until issue is resolved

Such an alien concept to people? We have guys trying to diagnose an inbound mail delivery issue and checking the logs seems like a totally foreign concept that they haven't got to yet.

So what steps are they taking then?

PBS
Sep 21, 2015

The Fool posted:

It's password reset season. It wouldn't be a big deal except that we're in the middle of a migration and the users have to keep track of TWO WHOLE PASSWORDS AND IT IS JUST TOO MUCH!

I feel your pain.

You now have double password resets after thanksgiving, and again after christmas and then new years.

PBS
Sep 21, 2015
Our Sick/PTO policy is changing the beginning of next year. We currently have a combined pool, you use the days for either. Next year they're pulling four days from our PTO time and adding 7 sick days in. If you're sick, you have to use all the PTO time before the you can use any of the sick days.

I'm rarely sick so the change kind of sucks for me. I think my manager might be okay with me being "sick", but those seven days would probably have to be used intermittently instead of using them for a trip.

I'm willing to bet more people will start coming in sick now so maybe I can use the sick days legitimately after all.

PBS
Sep 21, 2015
The biggest BS is that rule only applies to the salaried employees. The hourly people can use sick time whenever.

Additionally the hourly people didn't lose any pto days, they already only got that many. So this is all a much better deal for them.

PBS fucked around with this message at 06:54 on Dec 10, 2016

PBS
Sep 21, 2015

flosofl posted:

Yeah, we have that too. When they moved to pooling it, they basically just adjusted everyone's accrual rate for PTO so the net result is the same number of days as PTO+sick, but now if you're not sick often you get extra PTO days.

Yeah, that's what we're moving from. I liked that much better.

PBS
Sep 21, 2015

Aunt Beth posted:

Powershell handles arguments very cleanly too. Powershell to rule them all, Powershell to find them, Powershell profiles to bring them all and with the .net bind them :hurr:

E: has anyone dicked with PS in non-Windows lately? How's it coming?

I have not because I'm too scared of getting laughed at for trying to use powershell in linux.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PBS
Sep 21, 2015

Woogles posted:

The omnishambles continues.

Work are looking to backfill my post by creating two posts:

- a senior sysadmin in $hq_country
- a junior engineer here

Not so bad in itself except they expect this junior engineer to cover three offices in this country AND possibly travel to Belgium and the Netherlands to cover offices there (we acquired companies there and they have no IT staff (double wtf????))

They're offering £20k.

This will be glorious to watch!

Jesus that's low. I was making $46k doing desktop support in a call center.