Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

SlowBloke
Aug 14, 2017

Agrikk posted:

The thing that pisses me off is how Exchange 2016 requires fluent PowerShell to use. So I'm basically teaching myself PowerShell as I teach myself Exchange 2016. I still scratch my head over the command-line-ification of Windows. Sure, PwoerShell is great, but for three decades we've been told to use the GUI and now that we are, "Oh hay, Linux is great! We should Linux too!"

I love PS for deployment, though. Don't get me wrong.

Once you start creating a library of ps1 scripts for day to day tasks (createuser.ps1, deleteuser.ps1, etc.) you won't notice the missing gui. As a matter of fact since we started using 100% powershell for standard tasks i'm seeing a drastic reduction of non-compliant users or shared folders. Having a MMC gui tends to enable you to make small mistakes which may become time sinks down the line, with powershell you usually take one hour to do the first user/folder/process and then one second to do the next one in a perfectly reproducible way (until the synthax gets messed up on the next CU/SP)

SlowBloke fucked around with this message at 18:50 on Oct 18, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SlowBloke
Aug 14, 2017

The Iron Rose posted:

Oh and turns out we're replacing all of our printers with a single model and I need to figure out how to deploy them to all our windows PCs, which includes setting default printers and associating the proper IP addresses based on the per floor vlans. In two weeks. I found out today.

At this point I'm thinking just throw together a really rough VBS script to grab the driver, package it and deploy. But gently caress me I have 8 months of real experience and have no idea if that's really the best way to do things.

We do map our printers using GPOs . Each GPO is bound to a security group containing the computers we need to map a specific set of printers to(we use machine assignment to avoid drivers installation issue). If you don't have a print server to rely for job /printer driver management(you really should) you could use powershell, vbs or sccm to deploy the driver package to all of your desktops/laptops.

SlowBloke
Aug 14, 2017

The Iron Rose posted:

yeah turns out we're a shop of 700 people and we don't have a print server, everything is a direct add.

Sooooooooooooooooooo guess I'm setting up a new Print Server within the next 2 weeks before go date! Any notable gotchas there? Looking online it seems relatively simple, insofar as this is ever simple. Get a Windows Server 2012R2/2016 license and setup a VMWare instance, install the Print Management role on the server, add a firewall exception for Print Management, install the printers on the print server, and then map them via GPO. I think I have that right?

Also I've already been doing Windows patch auditing so at least that's not a big change. We only have a few dozen Windows 10 endpoints anyways.

Oh I'm actually loving the audit. I got this job after burning out on my fourth year of a PolySci degree, so it's nice to be able to exercise my writing chops ever now and again.

If you have 32 bit machines you will need to use one of them to install the drivers on the print server(s) as installing the driver from the print server will only work for 64 bit drivers. Configure each printer defaults on the print server to force them on the clients.

SlowBloke
Aug 14, 2017
Maybe microsoft has improved x32 driver handling for x64 printservers since win 7/2008r2 when we started having such problems(or printers driver have improved but I’m not betting on that). Our current printservers always hosed up when installing a 32bit driver on printer management from a 64 client/server while not showing any issue doing the same from a 32 bit client. Good to know that they solved that issue now that we have almost decomm all of our x32 machines :shobon:

SlowBloke fucked around with this message at 23:28 on Jan 24, 2018

SlowBloke
Aug 14, 2017
Stuff that slightly annoys me: one of our users cooked its desktop ssd by having the room heater at full blast with his desktop right in front of the heater. Desktop has full warranty coverage, they'll sort it out.

Stuff that heavily pisses me: My home QNAP rack rails decided that suicide was a good thing and broke one of its retention springs, everything is encased in riveted plastic, leaving me no option for improv fixes and qnap has always being stingy in replacement parts so i'll have to buy it again...

SlowBloke fucked around with this message at 19:43 on Feb 26, 2018

SlowBloke
Aug 14, 2017

stevewm posted:

Anyone know anything about Zoho Mail?

CEO has seen that it is half the price of GSuite.. As much as I am against switching, money talks unfortunately and I might have to actually end up switching.

I do use it for a personal domain(free tier), given it's lacklustre support, tendency to get stuck into every mail blocklist known to man due to its free customers and unreliable IMAP/ActiveSync implementation i would never, ever suggest it as a paid alternative to gapps or o365.

SlowBloke
Aug 14, 2017

Steakandchips posted:

Synology isn’t stingy. I bought a used 716+ off eBay. It was hosed. Got in touch with Synology. It was still under warranty. Sent it to them. They send me back a brand new one.

Get a synology.

I managed to scavenge some generic universal rack rails from the Datacenter waste/discard pile so I'm fine(old HDS stock, fat powder coated steel rather than chintzy plastic, so they are not as flimsy as the "premium" QNAP rails). I'll have to either grind some extra metal from my junker rack or just buy a new one, it's not the first time a cheap rail get stuck and self destructs on this piece of junk :(

SlowBloke
Aug 14, 2017

Agrikk posted:

Is this licensed or the free edition?

From this link I see that Veeam Backup Free Edition apparently has tape support, but I've downloaded the Veeam B&R v9.5 and I cannot seem to find the tab where I create a new backup files-to-tape job.

I click on Tape Infrastructure and then File to Tape. I select my target, select Full Backup. When I click on Add New for the Media Pool, It takes me to a space where I'm to add a Tape Library, and the "Add Tape Library" list is blank. This server has a pair of IBM ULTRIUM LTO3 SCSI drives direct attached.

What am I missing?
First you need to create the media set and populate with all the tapes you have in your tape library. If the library is not present check for compatibility(some libraries may require a firmware update to bee seen).

Afterwards you need to create a new copy job to mirror the local disk copy to a tape media set. Otherwise the tape library will sit idle. You can execute a copy job on a repository or on a specific backup job. Also you must use the same type of tapes supported by all the drives on the library as you cannot force a drive to use lto4 and another one to run lto5.

SlowBloke fucked around with this message at 12:19 on Mar 13, 2018

SlowBloke
Aug 14, 2017

bitterandtwisted posted:

The response from BT was a screenshot of mxtoolbox.com saying we had invalid spf records, but all it shows is a warning for too many included lookups (12)
Quick sanity check: is that complete bullshit that makes no sense?

We had plenty of issues when spf pointed at more than one include value, can you use a virtual address for your email server farm? AFAIK spf supports TXT dns values that could include multiple addresses.

SlowBloke fucked around with this message at 11:19 on Sep 19, 2018

SlowBloke
Aug 14, 2017

bitterandtwisted posted:

If too many lookups was the issue, wouldn't that stop everything from that domain?

Many email servers doesn't block malformed spf domains, just mark them as spam(some even ignore spf records). Drop when spf or dkim records are invalid is still a rarity instead of the norm.

SlowBloke
Aug 14, 2017

Thanks Ants posted:

Are there any good internet radios that exist, or is everything now a smart speaker that you have to talk to? I'd like to get something for my parents as a gift but voice control is not going to work for them.
Denon makes a decent smart radio module and failing that there are a/v amps that include Spotify. Else there is the chromecast audio option to hook up on a conventional stereo.

SlowBloke
Aug 14, 2017

Agrikk posted:

Looping messages in on-hold music.

"Did you know that most LG appliances are wifi capable? Download the LG App and monitor your devices remotely. Ask your service representative about it today."

The first time I heard that message I didn't. But the hold music loops every 43 seconds and I've been on hold for over an hour, so yes, yes I do. This would have been helpful if my LG fridge was indeed wifi capable, but it isn't, nor do I need a goddamn app to tell me that my fridge is cold or making a really loud intermittent buzzing noise that wakes us up at night.

edit: also fridges that intermittently make buzzing noises that wake us up at night also piss me off.

Partially off topic but if your LG is like my SMEG, if you have automatic full defrost, it usually triggers itself at night and there is nothing you can do it to make it stop beside waiting for the cycle to end. You can mitigate the issue by correctly levelling the feet height and putting a rubber mat below the fridge to limit vibration noise.

SlowBloke
Aug 14, 2017
Our phone rules are kinda simple. You get a voice sim with a minimal data package and a company phone with MDM. You don’t want the phone? Bring your own but if you want to check corp email, you get enrolled by office365 mdm. Since dualsim phones are kinda ubiquitous nowadays, we have lots of people(me included) who skips the double phones for using a personal sim and a company sim on single unit. Even if corp offered me to pay for my personal sim I would decline as I neither want poo poo on my phone nor I don’t want to lose my number.

SlowBloke
Aug 14, 2017
We run Panasonic professional signage displays in our rooms, ours are decade old and as shiny as when we got them.

SlowBloke
Aug 14, 2017

cage-free egghead posted:

I didn't know that HDDs could be the cause of non-POSTs.

We had a decent number of 7490 that failed to post after going to sleep/hibernate due to a flaky toshiba ssd firmware.

I will confirm that doing dell support via phone is suicide, go to the support webpage, punch in the service tag and create a sr there. Never use phone calls if you mind your time and sanity.

SlowBloke
Aug 14, 2017

Bob Morales posted:

Another person in the department brought up buying a SAN

It was met with 'what happens when it goes down'

I mentioned that they basically all have dual controllers, power supplies, huge arrays of disk, however, it is possible that it could fail.

"So we'd have to buy two"

Well....we could have two and have one mirror the other...or just back up the things that are on it.

Right now the 'backup strategy' is that our servers are in two different server rooms, both in different parts of the building. So the idea is that every server has hot spare in the other server room, and if something died we could just switch the IP addresses over.

I know it would be extremely expensive but you could set up a dual server datacore instance to keep the two San as an active-active combo instead of hot spare(with zero downtime when one of the two goes down). Uptime seems more important than expenditure so try pushin this angle to your employer.

SlowBloke
Aug 14, 2017

Bob Morales posted:

"So what happens when VMware starts licensing by VM?"

VMware lets you buy some of their products on a VM license already(vSphere for desktops for instance), on low units(1-30) it's actually cheaper than per core/server licensing.

https://www.vmware.com/support/support-resources/licensing/per-vm.html

Beside VDI, vSphere is sold/leased by VM for hosting purposes (SPP/Cloud Provider).

SlowBloke fucked around with this message at 12:35 on Sep 24, 2019

SlowBloke
Aug 14, 2017

Bob Morales posted:

I did a vmware demo for the department since we don't use it.

installed the hypervisor, installed a centos vm, demo'ed snapshots (used my rm -rf from last week as the example), installed a couple virtual appliances....

Boss's gripes:

So how is this going to work with our microsoft licensing? (I just want to go from 20 linux servers to 2)

We're going to have a buy a SAN and they cost too much

Disk IO is never fast enough

Half our servers have 4 drive SATA spinning raid :haw:

Also if you bought 1 server instead of 5 you could buy a san and disks with the money you save

I know it was a rhetorical question but Microsoft licensing on VMware has some quirks, if you want to do vMotions you need a SA on all licenses involved, the quicker option to be compliant is to have windows server data center or sql enterprise (everything with SA) covering all sockets/cores on the esxi hosts.

SlowBloke
Aug 14, 2017

Nazattack posted:

For the people who have had ubnt stuff die, did you have Elite for them?

Having elite is no longer an option, program is EoL. Good luck if you ever pushed for ubiquiti UniFi products in any environment that requires business-grade support

SlowBloke
Aug 14, 2017

Nazattack posted:

Got a link about this? There's no EoL mentioned on UBNT's site and I can still pull up the elite coverage for items from our vendor.

https://www.reddit.com/r/Ubiquiti/comments/d9q6bn/unifi_elite_discontinued/

It looks like they had a change of heart 14 days ago and decided to continue... The way like it happened doesn’t fill me with confidence

SlowBloke fucked around with this message at 21:47 on Oct 18, 2019

SlowBloke
Aug 14, 2017

Bob Morales posted:

I'm just trying to decide if I want to bother explaining all this in the exit interview or not. They are 15 years behind and will never get past that until they make some changes. I'd almost suggest they have a MSP come in and do a basic audit or what not so that they can get a second opinion and not 'bob is just saying that because he's leaving'

Are there any management staff you trust in receive and accept positive criticism on the issues you are going to mention? If you feel like there is none, just let them stay in their old ways and save yourself some time/effort

SlowBloke
Aug 14, 2017

Bob Morales posted:

It's almost as if Microsoft doesn't have a free tool that scans your network for Microsoft Software....oh nevermind

Last time microsoft asked to audit us, we asked them for that software and it provided numbers about 3x our real ones. We had to go quadruple check all data and wasted so much time it would have been faster to do it by hand over sccm.
At the end we just told them to get bent and pound sand.
Next year, when they started asking for the same audit, we asked them to provide us a precise and accurate license list at that point in time to cross reference and when they told us we need to tell microsoft what licenses we have bought from microsoft, we told them we would have to bill them for our admin staff time to go digging in our receipts.
Never heard from them ever since.

SlowBloke
Aug 14, 2017

Sickening posted:

Microsoft has every right to audit your environment. It’s what your company signed up for when it chose to use their products. You will get audited eventually if you are big enough for them to care.

Not in Europe it hasn’t. BSA has no teeth here, It’s entirely up to us to allow it. If Microsoft asked the police to verify if we haven’t paid them for currently running software we would have to comply and provide proof of purchase for anything at gunpoint but AFAIK it has yet to do so for any company I ever worked for and double so for my current one which is government.

SlowBloke fucked around with this message at 15:28 on Jan 11, 2020

SlowBloke
Aug 14, 2017

Ghostnuke posted:

That's not the half of it. The room they dedicated to this is ENORMOUS. Originally it was supposed to have this dome that would come down around you, and multiple projectors so that you could like walk around inside your 3d model. So of course what actually happened is that there's only one projector, one screen and a movie theater sized room just being wasted. Even if I can get this crap working, it's going to be very underwhelming. We have other rooms with actual 3d TVs and glasses, it's not interesting or cool at all. My boss just wants to get this poo poo working so that it wasn't a complete and total waste of a TON of money.

There is a local firm here in my town ( https://www.arsenal.it/ ) which specializes in what your boss originally wanted, hemispheric projection with two overhead proj, the whole shebang. Unlike your boner pill seller this firm is still active. If you are desperate to steer the boat, you might want to send a email and see if they have any ideas but i don't think this is solvable in a short interval of time.

SlowBloke fucked around with this message at 16:59 on Jan 16, 2020

SlowBloke
Aug 14, 2017
Teams is going to add walkie talkie mode ( https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/microsoft-365/blog/2020/01/09/8-new-capabilities-microsoft-365-empower-firstline-workers/ ) along with a special samsung phone with a dedicated button mode if you have decent 4g/wifi coverage in that warehouse and a o365 plan.

SlowBloke
Aug 14, 2017
Most license servers are just flexlm/lm tools. As long as the MAC address and host name is identical you could replace them as you like. We in-place upgraded our Autodesk license servers from 2008r2 to 2012r2 without a hitch but I think I could have done the same by just reinstalling from scratch while keeping the license file

SlowBloke
Aug 14, 2017

Antigravitas posted:

Our hypervisors have USB hubs attached because we ran out of space for dongles. They are passed through to the VMs but lack proper identifiers so after a reboot the VMs can't start because those dongles race against each other for addresses. And we still have vendors being pissy because they aren't running on bare metal. :smith:

We have solved that problem by using moxa nport usb to ethernet converters, the vm gets its own matched usb dongle and can happily flop around hosts all day with no repercussions.

SlowBloke
Aug 14, 2017

Thanks Ants posted:

What's people's preferred way to run console applications as a Windows service? I have a big VM in Azure that I am going to power up on-demand as it's used to render images, and I need to load up the render node and pass a very basic command line switch along to it to tell it where to look for jobs.

Is there any reason not to use the PowerShell New-Service command?

I would use a machine level startup batch instead of a service for that. Unless you need the script ran after a specific service going up it’s more flexible that way.

SlowBloke
Aug 14, 2017

ChubbyThePhat posted:

wmic bios get serialnumber

For when your eyes fail, there is always wmi.

You are supposed to use

code:
wmic systemenclosure get serialnumber
As "bios" tends to not be properly populated on multiple brands(lenovo for instance has different codes on bios or system enclosure)

SlowBloke
Aug 14, 2017

Toupee Groupie posted:

the POP in my area has 2.5 Gig down and 1Gb up and service has been oversold.
That sounds like gpon but this is the first time I heard about deploying a optical tree with more than 48-96 users.

We are getting slammed isp speed wise but not terribly, thankfully my town has full ftth coverage but not so many subscribers so speeds are still decent.

SlowBloke fucked around with this message at 18:52 on Apr 2, 2020

SlowBloke
Aug 14, 2017

Mr. Clark2 posted:

MDT question while we're on the topic. I need to reimage a Dell 3379 that has no built in ethernet port so I have to use a Dell branded USB-C to ethernet adapter. I'm able to PXE boot the machine and bet the imaging started. However, during the task sequence the machine reboots into Windows (vanilla v.1909 ISO downloaded from VLSC is what is being deployed) and then no longer recognizes the USB-C to ethernet adapter, and loses contact with the server that's running MDT so the task sequence fails. Obviously, I need to get the ethernet adapter driver to come into play somehow but I'm not quite sure where, at what step, to do that.
The funny thing is, I imaged about 20 of these same machines a couple years ago and I don't remember having any problem at that time :iiam:

There has been some generational changes in the asix chipset(most usb to Ethernet adapters use these) so with new chips a new driver is required to be integrated into the base image.

SlowBloke
Aug 14, 2017

Super Soaker Party! posted:

I understand there was a years-old uservoice thread on this with thousands of upvotes, but.......why? Why do people want this? I have enough windows to manage without spilling a shitload of separate chat windows all over my monitors. Having all the chats in one window, easily selectable, is much cleaner. Is this just so you can see when one particular chat is flashing in the taskbar? (But if you have 80 billion chat windows open and the names are shortened, how do you read which one is flashing?)

Not a slam, different people like to operate different ways, I'm just curious as to why you find this preferable.

Everyone i've meet that has been vocal for teams to have multiple chats/channels in tabs or popup windows has been a trillian or pidgin user, i wonder what's the link 🤔

SlowBloke
Aug 14, 2017
I moved from a 29" 21:9(UW-FHD) to a 32" 16:9(Q-FHD) and i honestly prefer the conventional ratio(beside the small size bump), windows scaling has still some catching up to do and most apps are designed for 16:9, making some menus/panes stretched up.

SlowBloke fucked around with this message at 14:22 on Jun 17, 2020

SlowBloke
Aug 14, 2017

Sonic Dude posted:

Me: Hey, no one can log into this admin portal or, you know, do their jobs. Here’s a screenshot of the error, a video of the weird stuff it does first, and every log file in the known universe.

VMware support: Ok, can you please confirm if the issue is still occurring?

Me: The one I just told you about 5 seconds ago? Yes, it’s still occurring.

VMware support: Ok, please provide a screenshot. (Repeat for literally every other file I already provided when I opened the ticket.) Ok, can you please confirm if the issue is still occurring?

Me: Yes, you’ve done literally nothing to fix it, and as a surprise to no one, it’s still happening.

VMware support: Ok, we will escalate your ticket and you will receive a response in 30 to 47 business months.

Thanks, “premier” support.

Nobody working in the business consider paying VMware support contracts for anything but getting software updates. Their support was lackluster well before getting bought by dell.

SlowBloke
Aug 14, 2017
IMHO there is zero value currently in airwatch, whatever they do for mobiles you are better off even with intune or the barebone phone management google provides to apps users. If you are using airwatch for managing macs move to jamf, if you are using it for windows use sccm or intune. Staying on airwatch is just delaying the inevitable(when vmware eventually offloads it like zimbra or EoL like mirage).

SlowBloke
Aug 14, 2017
Keep in mind that signage monitors are designed to keep the image quality constant for years, while a general purpose tv is stress tested in a much limited way during the design phase. We have several units of an older version model of that nec in our offices and they were kept on for about a decade with minimal lumen loss, a couple of sony bravia consumer tv were bought six years after those nec and they got ghosts and heavy backlight intensity loss in a couple of years of usage (also they are pretty much busted now). It's like comparing a bestbuy special laptop with a business model.

SlowBloke fucked around with this message at 13:55 on Aug 13, 2020

SlowBloke
Aug 14, 2017

Bob Morales posted:

You guys sound pretty dumb in denial that any job can be done better from home or that every employee is better off wfh

And some people are overly paranoid about companies “forcing people” to go back to work. A lot of industries never went home and everyone didn’t die , believe it or not.

You are sounding dangerously like the people that tries to justify having a local exchange/sharepoint farm in 2020 rather than just paying for office365. If your white collar workflows doesn't work in a WFH setting it's not because WFH is wrong but because the workflows are designed in a way that requires physical user interaction(and should be updated from the 70's to a more modern way).

And your point about firms forcing people to work being fine -> just check all those mass contamination events in meat packing plants across the world. The more people you put in a building, the more higher the contagion risk becomes.

SlowBloke
Aug 14, 2017

angry armadillo posted:

I just use display port now so that's better.

Maybe better at ripping out metal, here it's not uncommon to have towers or monitors chassis and connectors being ripped by those metal anchor pins

SlowBloke
Aug 14, 2017

klosterdev posted:

Pissing me off: Bomgar. They support deploying their jump client packages via MSI, and you can't create a jump client installer without it having an expiration date when the installer is no longer valid. Maximum amount of time is one year. It's now been a year and the GPO-pushed installer doesn't work for new systems. Contacted their support to ask for information on upgrading the jump client MSI without causing a whole bunch of duplicate jump clients to install.

What kind of company forces you to plant a time bomb in their supported deployment method, supports setting it up with accompanying documentation, but will do nothing to help you when the bomb explodes a year later and declares that problem out-of-scope? Espec given the stupid-money we have to pay every year for support on the box that we own.

if you use sccm, you can deploy the msi as an app and then retire it on a certain date. I think intune does let you do the same.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SlowBloke
Aug 14, 2017

Roghie posted:

Isn't Windows Update mainly updates to .NET?

iirc you usually manually install it from Server Manager.

Dont really see why pushing .NET 4.8 would be bad.

Some poo poo apps (i'm looking at you autodesk installers) are hardcoded to search for a 4.5.x version of .NET, with a bigger number they won't work. It's rare but it happens