Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

DONT TOUCH THE PC
Jul 15, 2001

You should try it, it's a real buzz.

teethgrinder posted:

I used to imagine this was going to happen when the boomers died off ... but gently caress, my peers are just as incompetent at technology.

Plenty of our peers (and their kids) have not been taught anything about computers because people believed people would MAGICALLY adopt the skills needed by way of.. I don't know, i usually tune out at this point.

Needless to say, the same people now say my profession (Librarian) is useless because of this magic ability of kids to... and then this axe suddenly appears in my hand. The next thing that is considered useless will be elementary school and then we can reintroduce the feudal system.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DONT TOUCH THE PC
Jul 15, 2001

Daylen Drazzi posted:

Because there's still a huge crop of lower- and middle-level managers who are just as computer illiterate as their employees, and they know that if they fire someone for being unable to perform the work they'll open themselves up to the same treatment since they've always been "Aww, call IT and have them send one of the computer nerds up here to teach you."

In my current organisation, a Public Library, there's the tendency to put the blame on IT for everything and being able to solve simple problems (or at least explain them in a manner that's helpful to IT or the Patron) would ruin part of that narrative (like: "printer problems" being more often than not refilling a stack of paper). I've been pushing for certificates and courses, but they have been deemed "too technical" by my supervisor, yet she expects me to instruct my colleagues on these things (like sorting a row in Excel) during my reference desk duties.

Now that I'm leaving suddenly everyone realises it's not that smart to throw up your arms going "What is this witchcraft? I didn't sign up for this!" when you encounter a problem and wait for me to come down from the heavens.

quote:

And it's not just the fact that these people are older - there are actually a huge number of younger people who've literally grown up with technology and used it every day who are also completely clueless as to how to use it without being trained for a specific role. They've never built a computer, never had to troubleshoot anything, and don't know the first thing about setting any of that poo poo up.

This is also due to their parents that keep kids away from as much of that stuff as possible to stop them messing things up. Poorer kids usually get no computer at all (they have to use the locked down library computers), Richer kids get a Tablet or a Laptop that is locked down. Parents also overestimate the kids' skill level by a huge margin and you regularly break their little hearts when you say (very politely) that their kids are worse with computers than the 85 year old sitting next to them.

quote:

The fact is that unless a person possesses even the slightest amount of curiosity then they'll pretty much always be technically illiterate. Curiosity is necessary to overcome the fear that they're about to break some very expensive piece of equipment if they do even the tiniest thing outside the scope of exactly what they've been trained. And let's face it - companies are not exactly bastions of independent thought and action, and it would be very easy for a manager to crush anyone they thought was breaking company equipment, especially if they have no clue how it works to begin with.

Curiosity and Confidence. Confidence in this context also means the ability to admit that you have no clue and you need to gather information before you can figure out what's wrong.

DONT TOUCH THE PC
Jul 15, 2001

Bohemian Cowabunga posted:

Been booked to a meeting, by a guy who is now on vacation, with a (rather expensive) external consultant.
The only infomartion I can find about the meeting is in the subject of the invitation "Talk about the assignment".
:sigh:

"mention the cheese"

DONT TOUCH THE PC
Jul 15, 2001

Roargasm posted:

If you run out of ideas, the ASCII production of Star Wars: A New Hope is still available via telnet at towel.blinkenlights.nl :shobon:

I met the guy who made that at a LAN party.. 14 years ago? It's still as magical as it was back then.

DONT TOUCH THE PC
Jul 15, 2001

The only people worse with laptops than employees are students in my experience, difference being that students generally have to continue working with broken screens, missing keys and non functioning touchpads.

...still, the stories you hear about how they mess up hardware they can't replace on a whim.

DONT TOUCH THE PC
Jul 15, 2001

poo poo not passing me off: First year not at the (former) in-laws where you'd do IT support on the attic computer just to get away from the goddamn political discussions.

It's a whole new world.

DONT TOUCH THE PC
Jul 15, 2001

Lightning Jim posted:

There's a reason that my alma mater switched from Blackboard to their own system. Yes, they decided to switch to an in-house web application for registration
Which was a pain in the rear end the first couple of years when poo poo looked and acted like it was written by undergrads. Which it was. Registration was a pain during couple of years.

How topical, a student just complained in the student newspaper about how they "deserver a better blackboard" and "the university doesn't use blackboard to it's fullest potential". Listen kid: IT is understaffed and even if they could spare a few people to update and maintain blackboard, you'd be screaming at tutors about how they aren't using it correctly.

Just get your degree and then you get to complain about sharepoint in your shiny new job.

DONT TOUCH THE PC
Jul 15, 2001

psydude posted:

Doesn't BlackBoard offer a service similar to O365? Move to that.

Not my call to make, this organisation moves at a glacial pace and if they decide on doing something they have to do it differently from other universities otherwise they're not doing it at all.

DONT TOUCH THE PC
Jul 15, 2001

Things that do not piss me off at the moment: I got to talk a bit about the danish language with student that came in to return her books about the danish language. This thread has a tendency to be really weirdly relevant at times.

DONT TOUCH THE PC
Jul 15, 2001

Baconroll posted:

I work with a Dutch guy whose name is an American racial epitaph if pronounced correctly (though its spelt differently).

Koen?

DONT TOUCH THE PC
Jul 15, 2001

Dimestore Merlin posted:

We recently got a new "HR platform" that they tried to sell us on as "like Facebook, but for work!". Mostly a thing for HR, Sales, and Marketing as this has been met with nothing but derision from Support, Ops, and Dev. In a fit of misplaced whimsy, I made my bio pic Mr. Butlertron from Clone High. Got an email this morning from HR that was very polite, but indicated that they were not amused. I was asked to replace it with a "professional head shot", but notably they failed to mention that it needed to be of me. I'm thinking I'll be Ruth Bader Ginsburg next.

A student got away with a picture of Justin Bieber on his student-ID for four years. Usually people check for this sort of thing as people pose with chicken masks, horse masks, Guy Fawkes masks and Balaclavas, this one slipped through because no one knew Justin Bieber at the department.

DONT TOUCH THE PC fucked around with this message at 11:51 on Feb 18, 2015

DONT TOUCH THE PC
Jul 15, 2001

skipdogg posted:

You know what pisses me off? Early adopters. Corporate IT moves slow, things have to be validated in new environments. Don't come bitching to me because you had to have the latest OSX version and now a corporate app doesn't work. It's been out less than 2 weeks shithead.

ratbert90 posted:

then there's the opposite problem.

Since the actual IT department has jettisoned the student IT support the moment they no longer got paid for it, the library has been (a bit too) eager to pick up the slack (so they could justify their existence. No really, that's the official line).

Librarians are nice people, they want to help you, they're not cut out for IT support, because they have even less of a spine than the IT department.
This leads to them trying to support both amazingly outdated hardware and software or some bleeding edge stuff that hasn't been officially out because they think that's what IT support means.

I am trying to curtail it, but by Jove, it's hard to get through their skull that trying to support all the weirdness that students bring in is a fools errand.

DONT TOUCH THE PC
Jul 15, 2001

Gunjin posted:

"Immersive Telepresence". It's a thing, but a dying thing, as people realize that 500-700k per room, plus 10k+ in support and bandwidth bills per month aren't really worth it.

Something like this http://www.polycom.com/hd-video-conferencing/realpresence-immersive-video-telepresence.html

Scientists love their teleconferencing with this poo poo, they als love tinkering with the settings on their end and they're not aware that they're calling in on a service that CERN is providing (and is not managed by us).

gently caress teleconferencing.

DONT TOUCH THE PC
Jul 15, 2001

flosofl posted:

Well, to be fair, I'd be pretty salty if I was told I had to use any version of Python 2.x

Ha, I know of too many researchers here that are reliant on old rear end python 2.x scripts to do their dirty work for them until their dying days. Luckily that's all contained in a software package I do not have to support.

DONT TOUCH THE PC
Jul 15, 2001

pixaal posted:

My employee handbook has rules about food having to be clearly marked with your name and date, 2 days after the date it goes free for all and the day after it gets tossed. This is apparently because there used to be someone that would leave stuff in the fridge for weeks and it would get funky but no one else would touch it because it wasn't theirs.

The person I am replacing left for a sabbatical and didn't clear out his closet, we found several woolly loafs of bread.

DONT TOUCH THE PC
Jul 15, 2001

xzzy posted:

I've been a unix admin for around 20 years now, and every time I poke at PowerShell I get more impressed by it. I worry that it's going to end up being too clever for its own good which means scripts will suck to maintain years down the road, but the things you can do with the pipeline are a mindfuck for someone that's been dealing with text only pipes for a while. Output is passed as an object that you can run selects and conversions on it? :psyduck:

Both my Windows and Linux-sysadmin colleagues start snorting when I open Powershell, once I heard "Is that still used?", this place is weird.

DONT TOUCH THE PC
Jul 15, 2001

Crowley posted:

Your colleagues are idiots who won't last long unless they turn that attitude around. PowerShell is in everything MS is doing in the foreseeable future.

They're set until their pensions or until the institute folds and happy as a clam. I'm gone within 2 years no matter what (new hiring policy).

DONT TOUCH THE PC
Jul 15, 2001

After 5 years of preparation, a burn-out, a cancellation and some dry-runs my colleagues finally ran the script that would sync LDAP and AD.

It deleted all the AD groups, which is not what it did during the dry-run.

DONT TOUCH THE PC
Jul 15, 2001

Manslaughter posted:

Don't worry, you'll wake up once you realize this is all a bad dream.

It's not my problem, it's my day off tomorrow.

DONT TOUCH THE PC
Jul 15, 2001

Nuclearmonkee posted:

I assume there is a rollback plan in there somewhere.

I wouldn't count on it, but I just got an e-mail everything was back to the way it was.

DONT TOUCH THE PC
Jul 15, 2001

poo poo pissing me off, someone actually admitting that he refuses to use python because it was invented by the people next door and they don't like their IT department (which has nothing to do with python, but hey.. academic tribalism is important!).

DONT TOUCH THE PC
Jul 15, 2001

xzzy posted:

I'd love if I could holler over a cubicle wall and ask what the gently caress van Rossum was thinking when a thing was implemented.

One guy did admit to running over to the other building trying to find him and punch him in the face.

DONT TOUCH THE PC
Jul 15, 2001

ming-the-mazdaless posted:

What does he prefer to use?

Perl, which is fine.. the reason is just dumb.

DONT TOUCH THE PC
Jul 15, 2001

devmd01 posted:

A certain retail company I left 3 years ago had to keep 4:3 aspect ratio monitors, because the piece of poo poo java-based point of sale application that they were working on migrating to was hard-coded for the resolution of the application window.

I just had to undo a massive network change that would've made our lives so much easier because the library software has hardcoded folder links. The programmer has retired and isn't coming back to help us with it.

DONT TOUCH THE PC
Jul 15, 2001

Pissing me off: Documentation never having any priority, there's so much undocumented stuff here and I just got told that I better not try to document it because there's more pressing matters (which would be easier to solve, if there was any documentation on it).

DONT TOUCH THE PC
Jul 15, 2001

DigitalMocking posted:

One of the absolute best things that came out of our new IT director 18 months ago was the abolishment of ALL non-standard printers.

We have a couple of printers that do not exist according to us, which is fun when people try to get support on these mythical personal printers.

DONT TOUCH THE PC
Jul 15, 2001

Crowley posted:

If you really have to do this, at least change the GPO so it makes .\INTERACTIVE the local admin. That way the only user currently logged onto the local machine (physically, not remotely) is admin, can't use admin-privs to spread malware through the network to other machines.

hey this what i was looking for! thanks

DONT TOUCH THE PC
Jul 15, 2001

People here are still using post its to label computers, understandably this lead to computers being scrapped that weren't supposed to be scrapped because there was data on the machine that was still needed.
Luckily this time it wasn't that much of a problem, but I have this sinking feeling that our luck will run out at one point.

DONT TOUCH THE PC
Jul 15, 2001

Why do we even keep this?

Documents/Planning/SeatingPlan/OLD/EVEN_OLDER/OBSOLETE_DO_NOT_USE_SeatingPlan_POC_2014.psd

I haven't taken a look, but I'm almost certain it's gonna be the old office.

DONT TOUCH THE PC
Jul 15, 2001

At this job it's usally relatively short term stuff (think 5+ years) that has simply not been looked at and might be useful, but at the old job the poo poo we had was stuff dating back 40 years that had to be kept around for future research.
You had to wonder if they will be able to read the data from the files though.

DONT TOUCH THE PC
Jul 15, 2001

the current seating plan is also outdated and has stuff like people on the plan not being employed for years, parts of the office that have since jettisoned still on the map and loads of other things.
Since I just started here, i have a hard time knowing where to find people and an UPDATED seating plan would've helped.

DONT TOUCH THE PC
Jul 15, 2001

Jeoh posted:

From the previous page: Got offered a job! 30% pay rise, way more interesting environment, pretty happy!

now eat the peppers.

DONT TOUCH THE PC
Jul 15, 2001

poo poo pissing me off: we're using KACE and paying a premium for it, while there's an unused SCCM license supplied by our main company that we can't touch because reasons.

DONT TOUCH THE PC
Jul 15, 2001

It's me, I am pissing myself off.

Someone needed an windows upgrade on one of our "specials", found a mishmash of bootloaders, partitions, drives and filesystems.
and an external drive that was used as back-up for some personal files. A legacy system courtesy of one of my predecessors.

I let him disconnect his external drive and then tried to rebuild everything in a more sensible manner.
Long story short, somewhere in the process the external drive got re-attached and I've nuked it and 8 years worth of work.

It's a simple enough process to restore it, but I feel really stupid for not checking what drives i was cleaning out.

Oh well, didn't someone here say "If you haven't made a mistake you're not working long enough in IT"?

DONT TOUCH THE PC
Jul 15, 2001

That crashes several of our internal tools, so no. :-(

DONT TOUCH THE PC
Jul 15, 2001

Well, half my office decided to put their profit shares into bitcoin.
If you hate money so much, why not burn it?

DONT TOUCH THE PC
Jul 15, 2001

The Claptain posted:

poo poo pissing me off: my coworker won't shut up about cryptocurrencies for four days straight, somebody please kill me now.

this, but half the office...

DONT TOUCH THE PC
Jul 15, 2001

Sefal posted:

Yeah. I wish the 6 figures salary wasn't USA exclusive.

Beyond 45K you'll get pretty diminishing returns on the amount of happiness you're being paid out in.
It's nice, but it's not a goal in itself.

I'm not making that much more at my new job, but the colleagues are worth it.

DONT TOUCH THE PC
Jul 15, 2001

Thanatosian posted:

This is closer to 70k in the U.S. in general, and closer to 100k if you're living in a major city in the U.S.

Like Sefal, I am located in the Netherlands so I responded with the corresponding figure.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DONT TOUCH THE PC
Jul 15, 2001

I'm slowly but surely getting fed-up with both of my colleagues refusing to do anything that reeks of a command-line interface.

The worst thing is that I'm not even a trained IT-professional and they're both loaded with certificates, I learn as I go on and they just look at letters and numbers and go "it hard, you do".