Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Rooted Vegetable
Jun 1, 2002

Ursine Asylum posted:

Unless he means "I'm talking to a lawyer about it and not talking about details on the internet", in which case, good job.

If however it is battered wife syndrome and he's serving dart-throwing-dude dinner with trembling hands, bad job and he needs an intervention.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rooted Vegetable
Jun 1, 2002

Super Soaker Party! posted:

Then he stood up in the company meeting and everyone clapped.

Don't forget the high fives and sacks of money with dollar signs on it handed to him without asking.

Rooted Vegetable
Jun 1, 2002
This is why I have my issue with predictable questions prewritten in notepad or in the clipboard ready to go when I'm now connected to a made up name agent.

However, occasionally I think this something I shouldn't have to so6

Rooted Vegetable
Jun 1, 2002

Thanks Ants posted:

Azure Virtual Desktop

poo poo that pisses me off: Microsoft killing Azure RemoteApp 3 years ago just as I was about to deploy it, forcing us onto Citrix, then launching this just as we're stabilizing on that.

Still, if this is as good as it claims, at least I can run Windows 7 for a bit longer before I have to drat a certain virtual app back into the crypt.

Rooted Vegetable
Jun 1, 2002

spog posted:

I'd rather suck dicks by the docks than be in London again.

Lived there for 2.5 years, without a commute (just a nice walk) before deciding on the following approach to my "career" there. I reckon there could be a whole thread on hating it despite liking some things about it.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Rooted Vegetable
Jun 1, 2002

Mute_Fish posted:

Indeed. I loved my first 6 months of living in London but after a year I was very much over it and wound up immigrating to Vancouver for a change of pace. I think I am drawn to cities where its impossible to afford a house larger than a shoe box.

Same but lasted slightly longer (not a good thing, moving more quickly as you did was the better move). In summary I kept ignoring very red flags waving in very blustery wind in a manner that shouldn't have been ignored. Didn't help that my younger self believed that you should never quit a job before a year (and people said the same in the more honest pub sessions).

In summary to any new starters in the industry that think they are in the wrong job, look at the facts and your real opinion (not what you're telling yourself) and make a move whenever you wish. I have subsequently made a mistake moving to a job that just wasn't what they hired for, and got out quickly afterwards. Now I just say it was a temporary role. Technically it was.

Where were we? poo poo that pisses me off? Forgetting to add your own baby AD group to a moved server. It may be my fault but I want to blame anyone but me.

Rooted Vegetable
Jun 1, 2002

nexus6 posted:

• I submitted my notice here almost a week ago but the higher-ups are still umming and ahing about giving me an official leaving date. I have suggested Dec 21 (4 weeks from when I submitted my notice) but they want me to do 3 months notice despite the fact I've been here less than a year.

This is one of the few things that cannot really be argued. In North America, 2 weeks notice is customary, in the UK it's 4 weeks. Perhaps, your contract might have some reasons to give more notice or stay longer after notice but it cannot trap you into doing so beyond not paying you past the leaving point. Typically these reasons relate to bonus payment (above hourly rates). It sounds dramatic, but I think slavery laws stop them saying "you must be in work until we say so".

I'd set your leaving date for them. Send a second letter now, referencing your first notice (by date), something like:

"[Today's Date]

Dear Manager,

Further to my letter on [Today's Date - 1 week] where I gave Notice of Resignation, I am informing you that my Resignation will take effect at the end of [Today's Date + 3 to 4 weeks].

Sincerely

[me]"

Say no more. I'd be so tempted to add "I had hoped that discussions would have given an agreed date between the Company and I, but regrettably a decision was not forthcoming by your side". Don't put this or any apology for doing what you have to. This letter is going in your file at HR and you don't want them saying later "look at this letter where he apologizes, and therefore acknowledges, that he's screwing us [even though you are not]". Brief and to the point.

EDIT: I see you're in the mother-cuntry. If you want to be nice, give them 4 weeks from the date of this later letter, but you're not being a dick by giving them 4 weeks from the first letter (e.g. 3 weeks from now). Looking at the calendar, 4 weeks from tomorrow would be 28th December (so you'd have the Christmas and Boxing Day bank holidays) but you can still set the date for 21st December because that makes sense.

And make sure they give you your holiday pay, you've earned it.

Rooted Vegetable fucked around with this message at 19:33 on Nov 29, 2018

Rooted Vegetable
Jun 1, 2002

TheCog posted:

I made a minor error (I left a curseword in a log in a dev branch, which we brilliantly gave to a client)

Probably worth mentioning that Employment Laws still apply during notice periods and if they fired you for a minor issue, even on the notice period, you can still go to an Employment Tribunal to get paid out. There are plenty of, usually fast-food related, examples where minor issues which should have been, at absurd worst, written warnings, were handled by firings, later paid out.

Granted the payout will be reduced because the notice period was ticking down, but a Notice of Resignation is not a licence to disregard all else.

Although the horror stories I hear certainly make me speculate differently...

Rooted Vegetable
Jun 1, 2002

Weedle posted:

Got an update to this one too. The admins are panicking because the radios are picking up Russian chatter on whatever channel they’re using. Combine this with the fact that a Russian account followed us on Facebook this morning and it’s like we’re loving living Red Dawn or something.

The opportunity to gently caress with them must be ripe. See if you can get some students to throw toy army men with parachutes off the roof. Just maybe they won't notice the perspective for a second... the look on their face...

Rooted Vegetable
Jun 1, 2002

pixaal posted:

500GB MP3 player completely full of songs the CEO had purchased from iTunes specifically for hold music. He didn't want people to keep hearing the same thing.

Did he feel 500GB of MP3s strongly about it? Even with the longest hold times and most frequent calls in the world, I cannot see needing that much even if he wanted to ensure no human would ever hear the same song in their lifetime. Or perhaps he didn't want people hearing the same song not only from the company hold music, but any other hold music.

Rooted Vegetable
Jun 1, 2002

nexus6 posted:

I give no shits about a final payment or holidays due. I just want out.

Do give a poo poo about getting paid for hours worked and holidays earned. It's also typically simple to get local labour standards to help you enforce that on them. If referring to some sort of bonus payment, well only give a poo poo about what's been agreed in writing.

Rooted Vegetable
Jun 1, 2002

spog posted:

I can totally understand why you wouldn't want to play this card, but it really is a high-value one to have in reserve.

It's also not one that you necessarily get all the time even if you have a visible (or not) disability. The employer still has to do the discrimination part for that card to become active (so to speak).

Frankly, if they've done it, mention it nexus6. Likewise I understand the hesitation, although I'm also of the attitude that such hesitation should not be used as a license for the employer to get away with it.

Rooted Vegetable
Jun 1, 2002
poo poo that's pissing me off: hardware which wants their own drivers installed without good reason. Not only is this nice and keyboards, but somehow Win 10 didn't have a certain usb wireless adapter's driver and it couldn't use a generic one. I had to use an actual CD for the first time since Pompeii was wiped out.

Rooted Vegetable
Jun 1, 2002

Methylethylaldehyde posted:

Yeah, there really isn't a way to say "they lied to me in my interview, and that set the tone for the next year at this dumpsterfire of a firm" in an interview.

I once had to leave a job after just 3.5 months, and if I'm honest, I knew by the third day (first being orientation, 2nd being training and 3rd asking some direct questions) that this role was a huge mistake. In the job interview, which I ended up getting an offer out of, I was asked why I was leaving so soon. The following things were said:
1. I was on a temporary role, but what I left out was that it was temporary for 2 years.
2. I did say something to the effect of "expectations that were set did not line up with the reality of the role", being brief but direct about it.
3. I then followed up that the experience had taught me about what I truly was looking for and said that I'd be asking a few questions about the new role later. I would have always done this, but used it as proof that I had no intention of letting it happen twice.

It was so long ago I cannot remember the exact words, but I can say that it was perhaps 2-3 sentences and less than 20 seconds of talking. We then carried on with the interview, which I was decently qualified for and I nailed it.

I'm being a bit cavalier I'll admit, but I'd say deal with it directly and say you know what you want and this wasn't it.

Rooted Vegetable
Jun 1, 2002

ponzicar posted:

I think questions like that are designed to weed out terrible candidates, so if your answer is anything professional sounding, they'll just move on to the next question, but if you decide to use it as an opportunity to vent about how terrible your current boss is and how stupid your coworkers are, you'll probably not end up working there.

That reminds me of another story, that a manager-friend told me ages ago: He had a person say, with only light bashfulness at best, that he'd burned his bridges with his old company. This was early in the interview and manager-friend spent some time interrogating him before not hiring.

In conclusion: Don't say that.

tactlessbastard posted:

Joke's on you, your interviewer loving hates (x)

Generally I find that if that's the case, (x) will be handed to you and they'll walk away. Your task is to determine the amount, and what kind of poison is in the challis of (x)

Rooted Vegetable fucked around with this message at 01:25 on Jan 22, 2019

Rooted Vegetable
Jun 1, 2002

The Fool posted:

Being able to communicate technical concepts to non-technical stakeholders.

90% of IT projects I've been a part of that have had problems were because the PM and/or management did not understand what was actually going on.

I absolutely get the hell out of my own way when I'm the PM and I don't understand a technical concept well enough to talk authoritatively on it. I've got well informed technical staff who are better able to make the decision and my job is to support that in this case. I'll ask questions that any stakeholder may ask, sure, but I'd rather gamble my role learning something than appear as some sort of Oracle to my boss.

I've seen too many PMs make decisions just because they haven't swung their dicks in the last 10 seconds.

Also this is why I like this thread, how not to piss off your project team members lessons.

Rooted Vegetable
Jun 1, 2002

Thanks Ants posted:

Google Calendar is hosed :toot:

It's more than hosed, it's not even at the orgy:

Google Calendar's page posted:

Not Found
Error 404

Rooted Vegetable
Jun 1, 2002

Potato Salad posted:

With or without socks?

Without socks, but always use protection from the sounds of it

Rooted Vegetable
Jun 1, 2002
This thread is making me want to get my knee healed up and spend my lunches doing something other than work.

Also, yes, if you suspect a heart attack of any sort, dial 911/112/999/000 or whatever the local number is and get help there ASAP. If it is close (as in a couple of minutes), go straight to hospital.

Rooted Vegetable
Jun 1, 2002

cage-free egghead posted:

Well that's easy enough to remember.

0118 999 881 999 119 725 3

If you dial that, find a bystander and say you're also having a stroke

Rooted Vegetable
Jun 1, 2002

Agrikk posted:

Kill me.

Marcade posted:

If they complete this project without a serious injury or death I'll be rather surprised.

Agrikk, there's an exciting opportunity in the construction industry!

Also, Marcade, I trust your company is dragging this construction company over hot coals and leaving them in a salt & vinegar bath or something for these safety violations.

Rooted Vegetable
Jun 1, 2002
I've got a tea mug on my desk that has a habit of growing things if left untouched for a few days with anything in it.

It's been 7 weeks and I can't remember if it was bone dry...

Rooted Vegetable
Jun 1, 2002
I have to card reader my way into the washroom. Before anyone asks, it only works for one of the washrooms. I presume it helps avoid unintentional errors.

Rooted Vegetable
Jun 1, 2002

Bob Morales posted:

Rooted Vegetable took a 45 minute poo poo on Monday!

Note to self: add an exit scanner for the toilet door too. Maybe even put them on the stalls.

Rooted Vegetable
Jun 1, 2002

tactlessbastard posted:

E oh cool now my desktop image is a marketing graphic. :discourse:

Must admit that I like our dark theme with gracefully sized logo desktop wallpaper.

Rooted Vegetable
Jun 1, 2002
Anyone else forget (or didn't know to) update your .eu domain contacts from UK values set 14 years ago to ones that are still in the EU?

poo poo that's pissing me off: EURid, despite it being my fault.

Rooted Vegetable
Jun 1, 2002

zokie posted:

Apparently a lot of Dell notebooks have some lovely fan that needs to be replaced. .

Which ones? My new work laptop blows constantly when connected to it's dock.

Rooted Vegetable
Jun 1, 2002

Internet Explorer posted:

Lid closed? Open it. Modern laptops use the chassis as a heatsink and also exhaust through the keys. Closing the lid reduces thermal capacity. If you're using wireless, that will work better too as the antenna is in the lid.

This'll sound ridiculous, but no more ridiculous than other stories in this thread... My desk is built in such a way that I cannot easily open the lid.

I'm using the closed laptop as a light duty table too.

Rooted Vegetable
Jun 1, 2002

Number_6 posted:

... Google Reviews ....

It's almost total poo poo, for purposes of doing any serious research on a product or a business. Doesn't anyone notice?

That one answers itself.

Rooted Vegetable
Jun 1, 2002
This thread just confirmed to me that SA wasn't affected. I was wondering if I'd get part of my $10 I paid 19 years ago, proportional to the outage this morning.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rooted Vegetable
Jun 1, 2002
It was only one customer...

The headline I saw on BBC News was One Fastly customer triggered internet meltdown

Since the BBC was affected, I can only assume they are calling for a price in blood.

Edit: The Guardian too

Rooted Vegetable fucked around with this message at 15:05 on Jun 9, 2021