Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Coredump
Dec 1, 2002

Weekly hour long team meeting. Boss mentions that we should look at ways to improve and work more efficiently, look at ways to automate. We're a desktop support team of 4 to support a college of 11,000 students. They told us the same thing with our last director 3 years ago. We re-organized, specialized, and generally stepped our game up. Why don't directors realize that you can't only get so much work out of people and if at the end of the if things still aren't getting done then maybe, MAYBE, we need more people. I don't know how it is at other colleges around the country but I think 4 full time techs and a hand full of student workers might be a little too lean of an operation.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Coredump
Dec 1, 2002

Manslaughter posted:

Apparently it starts in spring and ends in fall, which always confused me, wouldn't you want to save daylight when there is less of it?

Remove DST, remove timezones, this system is so dumb.

e: also DST kills people

Yeah I don't like waking up with the sun up for an hour and then coming home in the dark. I'd rather we move forward an hour right now and leave it there.

Coredump
Dec 1, 2002

If the company is going to hand out iPhones they should either charge the department for broken ones outside of life cycle replacements or buy good cases along with the phone. People are children when it comes to taking care of company equipment.

Coredump
Dec 1, 2002

Sign in as user to setup Peoplesoft. Go to connect to a network share. Oops forgot I need to connect to it with my credentials as Windows tells me I don't have permission to access as user. No problem go to map a drive using different credentials and get the "the network folder is currently mapped using a different username and password..." gently caress. No its not mapped, I tried to connect to it and got denied, just let go of the connection Windows. No I have to look up the command to list network connections and drop them.

Coredump
Dec 1, 2002

psydude posted:

Anyone ever bring lunch to work but still went out for food as an excuse to get the gently caress away from the office? This is one of those days

When the weather turns cold sometimes it nice just to sit in the car somewhere with the window cracked and the stereo on.

Coredump
Dec 1, 2002

If Banner is so important to our workplace, and Banner insist on having an old out of date version of java to work, then put the program on a virtual machine somewhere where you can control IE and Firefox's attempts at blocking java from running. I hate being stuck in the middle between some enterprise piece of software insisting on using some out of date version of java and all the web browsers trying to be security minded and blocking them.

Coredump
Dec 1, 2002

Gyshall posted:

Dude, try having to work with a Healthcare broker who has to have 3 different browsers for different client websites, have to have various versions of java to support the various applications they have, etc. All while trying to wrangle the place into a HIPPA compliance.

What was the banned catchphrase from E/N.. something something kill. ADP pulls this poo poo with us too and its rear end. The thing is, for our situation it seems a solution to make everyone's life easier is within reach, but no one want to implement it.

Coredump
Dec 1, 2002

Methylethylaldehyde posted:

True Snowpocalypse conditions are when you call your buddy to come pick you up, the power fails shortly afterward, and you end up riding back home on the back of his snow machine. If you can still drive someplace, even if attempting to do so is retarded, bordering on suicidal, it's not a true snowpocalypse.

Snow machine. There's a word that gets under my skin. It's a snowmobile. Why would you refer to a snow mobile with a less specific word? A snow blower is also a snow machine.

Coredump
Dec 1, 2002

Goon in well here, need some advice.

Every job description always has the "and other duties as assigned" line in it right? Well the place I work at has 4 desktop support guys including me. Thing is, the job I do is vastly different from the other 3 guys. I have to do a more manager type role of looking after student workers and keeping an eye on the frontline helpdesk. I've done scheduling in the past and still have a hand in training. However, all four of us have the same job description according to HR. Brought this up to my associate director and the director of the department and they point to the "and other duties as assigned" and an internal reorganization of the department back in 2010. However, as far as I can tell, with this reorganization nothing was done with hr as far as job titles, job descriptions, etc.

I know the response is YOTJ and I've been trying on and off for two years but in the meantime I want to make my stay here better and more beneficial to me. Any advice?

Coredump
Dec 1, 2002

poo poo pissing me off: working with these lazy, corner-cutting student workers who don't give a poo poo. Student asks me to remove a computer from our domain so he can add it back to the domain. I ask him if he double checked to make sure he's got the right computer name. He says yes. I asked him if he checked the service tag of the computer to make absolutely sure he had the right computer name, he says yes, this time being annoyed.

I remove the computer from the domain and go to the computer in question and log in locally so he can add it back. While I'm there I look at the computer name and service tag.... YUP. Different name/service tag from the one he gave me. Now I'm facing the possibility of some computer on campus having a domain trust relationship error. Goddammit.

Coredump
Dec 1, 2002

I'm using the restroom. I take my time in there, wifi works, you know. I get an email and a text from my boss that just says, "where are you?". I rush back to the helpdesk and I see nothing obviously on fire, so I go to my boss's office and ask, "hey is everything okay?" He gets super defensive saying he was checking on me this morning to make sure I alright, I knew he was going to be late this morning, he didn't see me, etc. etc. What the hell? I've been doing this for a while now, if I need help I know how to get it.

Coredump
Dec 1, 2002

I'm glad someone made the joke.

Coredump
Dec 1, 2002

Coredump posted:

I'm using the restroom. I take my time in there, wifi works, you know. I get an email and a text from my boss that just says, "where are you?". I rush back to the helpdesk and I see nothing obviously on fire, so I go to my boss's office and ask, "hey is everything okay?" He gets super defensive saying he was checking on me this morning to make sure I alright, I knew he was going to be late this morning, he didn't see me, etc. etc. What the hell? I've been doing this for a while now, if I need help I know how to get it.

mewse posted:

You'll have to send him an email every time you have to take a dump from now on, preferably work hours only

Same situation this morning. I leave the office to answer the call of nature before my boss gets in. He's running late again too just like earlier this week. I email and text him "I'm not in the office, in restroom." and this is what I get back.

quote:

In order to be leader, you have to accept authority. The email below is to make a point since I asked where you were the day before yesterday.

Thank you for let me know but you do not need to tell me you are in bathroom unless you intend to stay there for 30 minutes or more.

Yeah, sooooo...

Coredump
Dec 1, 2002

nitrogen posted:

Well i just had a fun customer call.

We were lightly joking around because a few of the folks on the customer side were late, telling jokes, when THIS happened.

The director of the storage team is blacker than midnight, so I expect this to end well.

Oh wow yeah he's gone.

Coredump
Dec 1, 2002

nitrogen posted:

Yeah! That way we can trade fighting the greed and out-of-touch management with greedy and out-of-touch union leadership!

If that was the choice we were faced with, and its not, I'll still rather go for the unions because there's a higher chance the greedy unions will at least indirectly provide us benefits vs. greedy management.

Coredump
Dec 1, 2002

Hey if you're using Excel have you used MS Project?

Coredump
Dec 1, 2002

My cubicle is in the middle of the room our helpdesk is located at where I work. A student worker from another department within IT comes to the helpdesk with a laptop asking for my boss.

:downs: Hey Coredump, is <boss's name> here?
:confused: Let me peek in his office. Nope he's not here.
:downs: Well <other employee who student works for> sent me down here with this laptop for Jacky.
:confused: You know what's going on with it?
:downs: ...
:confused: Alright I'll take it for him and put it on his desk.

I didn't want to get involved because if you guys remember earlier with the whole restroom ordeal, boss has been acting pretty weird. Now I made a mistake, I did not put a note on the laptop saying who dropped of the laptop or where it came from when I put it on his desk. After that I put the laptop out of my mind.

Well my boss comes in later that week saying that <other employee who student works for> was asking about the laptop. By this time I had completely forgotten what I did with the laptop. After some search we find the laptop in his office.

Here's the email I get: "Following up with the incident with the laptop for <student worker>. Next time, please make sure to add a tag/yellow/ticket to the equipment with the name of user, a short description of what I need to do, a deadline if mention by the user then place the equipment in a visible location in my office. Either create a ticket when appropriate then assign it to me or send me an email to let me know I have an equipment waiting for me that need my attention.

In the above situation, I had to find the user to identify the serial number then look around for a match serial number. It was not very effective to find the laptop.

Thank you for attention in this matter,"

Maybe I'm over reacting but I feel like, you loving kidding me?

Coredump
Dec 1, 2002

My thing is that my boss and the person who sent the student worker apparently already had a conversation going about this laptop that I wasn't included in on. So should I be getting reprimanded for not creating a ticket for a machine that I have no idea if a ticket exists already or if it really needs a ticket? He's telling me I should leave him a note on what he needs to do with a machine I leave him in his office. I didn't have this information, the person who dropped off the laptop didn't have this information, but he did already. No doubt I hosed up not getting a note on the machine, but I don't think that little slip warrants all that.

But hey if I'm reading into weird then I'm willing to accept that too.

EAT THE EGGS RICOLA posted:

Your boss is totally right and you're being ridiculous.

Oops, just saw this. Alright, I'm being ridiculous.

Coredump
Dec 1, 2002

mewse posted:

You've already had a bunch of responses but just imagine getting equipment dumped on your desk with absolutely no indication of who it was from, what the problem is, what the hell you are expected to do with it, etc etc. He didn't even know you had left it there so that he could ask you where it came from. This is the kind of bullshit that tier 1 helpdesk has to deal with ("oh I left it on your desk, didn't you look at it?") so if it's your manager then he's right to expect that someone working for him doesn't do the same poo poo.

And trust me, this will happen to you.

Please read what I wrote before you respond. He had an email conversation about this that I didn't know about. So apparently he was expecting this piece of equipment to show up. I already acknowledged my mistake that I didn't label it. Every time I posted about this I acknowledge that mistake. What I was getting irritated about was he wants me to create a ticket about what's he's supposed to do with this laptop when I didn't know this information and he did due to his previous email conversation.

Yeah I get poo poo left on my desk all the time and I get irritated about it. But I don't get irritated about when someone drops it off on my desk and I had had an email conversation with someone expecting it to show up. See the difference?

Coredump
Dec 1, 2002

Voicemail is not that bad people, sheesh.

Coredump
Dec 1, 2002

Jeoh posted:

gently caress phone calls, unless it's a genuine emergency.

Sometimes instead of emailing back and forth over the course of a day I just like to get something resolved over a 10 minute call.

Coredump
Dec 1, 2002

Collateral Damage posted:

I have a contact at our sister company who will email you with "call me" and nothing else when you ask him to do something. If you call him, he'll ask for some little bit of information, then put you on hold for 30 minutes while he works.

I just hang up on him when he does that.

Yeah, if you're not his direct report there are ways to address that.

Coredump
Dec 1, 2002

BaseballPCHiker posted:

Just COI it? How do you even get to this point without COIng every new hire?

Hi I'm dumb, what does COI mean in this context? Conflict of Interest?

Coredump
Dec 1, 2002

ChickenWing posted:

My personal favourite was the sheer number of people who didn't know how to do a hard shutdown and looked at me like I was a wizard when their "completely dead I need a replacement" computer miraculously turned on afterwards.

I mean come on, it's 2015 how do you not know basic computing?

I use the year I was born as the turning point. If you're younger than 30 at this point in time and don't possess some basic computer knowledge then I give my users a rough time. Computers where getting to pretty mainstream and ubiquitous by the time I first got to college so the younger generation should have literally grown up with them.

Coredump
Dec 1, 2002

Bob Morales posted:

If you are a blind gently caress I'm ordering you a 27" 1080P monitor. Problem solved.

Hey! You don't have to be blind to use a 27" 1080p monitor! :(

Coredump
Dec 1, 2002

Pissing me off: I'm finding out that the majority of our infrastructure is run off oVirt and is unstable.

Coredump
Dec 1, 2002

evol262 posted:

What part is unstable? Running oVirt Nodes or plain CentOS/RHEL/Fedora? I may be able to help...

We have vm's that will randomly pause and one of our nodes is having issues. Unfortunately I'm too new and dumb to be able to interface with you and give you any good usable info. I hear the gripes from one of our more senior admins and the systems I use are on Ovirt.

Coredump
Dec 1, 2002

The VM that runs our portal has gone belly up. Plus everyone on the server team is out today except me, the new guy. I love Fridays.

Coredump
Dec 1, 2002

devmd01 posted:

Could be worse, could be a VM host failure. :unsmigghh:

Oh hooray, Microsoft System Center 2012 Endpoint Protection is also freaking the gently caress and locking up my computer for 5 minutes on reboot.

Coredump
Dec 1, 2002

Coredump posted:

The VM that runs our portal has gone belly up. Plus everyone on the server team is out today except me, the new guy. I love Fridays.

Coredump posted:

Oh hooray, Microsoft System Center 2012 Endpoint Protection is also freaking the gently caress and locking up my computer for 5 minutes on reboot.

Hooray the Pharos print server is acting up and I've followed what was put in our wiki to fix it and no love. Did I mention its just me today? Literally the only person above me I can go to for help today is the VP. Director and AVP are both off today as well as the other server admin.

Coredump
Dec 1, 2002

Skandranon posted:

I'm sure he's been fired / hanged by the neck by now.

Nah thankfully I got someone else from my team on the phone and we got the portal working again. Now did anyone from OIT sent out an email explaining the service interruption, what we did to fix , etc? Nah.

As for the ovirt advice I'll pass along when I get back to work next week.

Coredump
Dec 1, 2002

Tab8715 posted:

Why haven't you migrated to Office 365?

What if Microsoft makes all their poo poo obtuse and difficult to use because their master plan is to get everyone on the 365 gravy train? How many people went to hosted exchange because it was less headaches than trying to get exchange working on their premises? That's what happened here. Now there's hosted sharepoint. Soon, SCCM 365. :stare:

Coredump
Dec 1, 2002

Crowley posted:

It's no secret they're moving everything Office into a subscription, but making it obtuse on purpose? nah.

I'm talking about Microsoft software beyond office though.

Coredump
Dec 1, 2002

dogstile posted:

I do already but its covered (mostly, you can see the black shading just peeking if I reach for things). Going to be that stereotype IT guy with sleeves though, so you make a good point!

My director has a 3 foot long ponytail, wears black cargo pants, and a black tshirt everyday with visible tattoos on his forearms. Meanwhile I wear khakis and button down shirts tucked in.

Bob Morales posted:

I'd rather just wear long sleeve button ups if I have to follow a dress code. Short sleeve dress shirts make me think of Geek Squad, dirtball appliance salesmen, or Jehova's witnesses. Then polo shirts make me have flashbacks to working retail. Ugh.

Counterpoint: Colin Furze does the short sleeve dress shirt look quite well.

Coredump
Dec 1, 2002

spog posted:

'Hmm. Today I have to co-host an important training session with senior management. I need to convery a very professional image. In that case, I better wear my very best heavy metal t-shirt and my shiniest pentagram necklace. And this new conditioner makes my shoulder-length hair look full of body, just like Hurley from Lost'

Looks in mirror....

'Yup, I am going to earn the respect of those senior business advisors. I am just like them'

...Thoughts from an IT guy last week.

Seriously: you're presenting to a room full of three-piece suit wearing execs and you couldn't even muster up a polo shirt?

This is my director, just less conditioner in his hair.

Coredump
Dec 1, 2002

Pissing me off: When sub-menus of programs lock the rest of the gui until you close the window. In this case, I've popped out a window of a windows update details for Onedrive. Now that I have this handy little window with the details of this particular update, it would be nice to be able to click into the "Installed Updates". BUT NOPE, the whole window is locked out unless I close this other window.

On another note, has anyone's one drive for business been loving up and saying "credentials needed" for files and not syncing?

Coredump
Dec 1, 2002

spog posted:

Just started happening for me

Very reassuring as we've just migrated and I assumed I'd screwed something up

I'm suspecting some sort of windows update that has gone out has screwed things.

Coredump
Dec 1, 2002

spog posted:

Our IT guy randomly waved a dead chicken over it and it seems to have started working.

Probably just a glitch in the matrix.

I found this for people using onedrive for business https://community.office365.com/en-us/f/148/t/413709
Apparently the answer is KB3085566 is bad bidness.

Coredump
Dec 1, 2002

feedmegin posted:

USB is a serial protocol :3:

(Serial as in RS232 has never been a thing for keyboards, that was mice)

Yeah but who calls them that?? Call it usb.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Coredump
Dec 1, 2002

Sweevo posted:

Apparently tons of people who don't know what they're talking about think "serial" means "everything that's not usb".

Serial (i.e RS232) keyboards do exist. They were never used on PCs, but older Sun keyboards are serial, and you can buy serial keyboards for industrial uses.

Tons of people? Really? Its maybe two people who are confused. You callin them fat? :hampants: