Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

TWBalls
Apr 16, 2003
My medication never lies

RFC2324 posted:

Holy poo poo is that Colbert?

Yeah. That clip is from a show he was on back in the 90's called "Strangers with Candy". Great show.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lR5wvSTKe5g

VVV yeah, the SWC movie wasn't so great. Mostly recycled material from the show and not performed nearly as well.

TWBalls fucked around with this message at 21:04 on Jun 7, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TWBalls
Apr 16, 2003
My medication never lies

pixaal posted:

Of course sunk cost we bought this as a 12 year investment because previous IT manager said it would be good for 12 years so it can't be replaced until then make it work, and make it work well until then

Christ. We have a poo poo ton of computer carts (I work at a hospital, it's for the computers on wheels) that are busted and don't have parts to replace them. They're no longer under warranty and we don't have any kind of servicing plan for them, so they cost way too much to have them serviced. We've since bought newer, better carts, but we can't get rid of these old carts because they said that they have a 15 year lifetime (where they came up with that number, I have no idea). So, they're currently taking up a ton of storage area in empty rooms and have to get shuffled around every so often when they decide they need to use the room.

TWBalls
Apr 16, 2003
My medication never lies

DizzyBum posted:

I'm sorry, I'm this guy sometimes. :(

I really try not to do this, but I have an awful nail-biting habit and if I don't clip and file my nails I'll start biting them instead. I'll try to step out to the bathroom to do it, but sometimes I just need to fix my nail right now so I'll do a few quick clips above my wastebasket and then I'm good for the rest of the day.

I don't bite my nails, but sometimes I'll be typing and can't stand that my nails are a tad overgrown and have to clip them. If it helps, I do wait until my co-workers are out of the office (or, like you, go in to the restroom), since I know the *clip* *clip* *clip* sound can be annoying. I also have these nail clippers, which do a good job of keeping the nails from flying everywhere. http://a.co/j8beRSr

xzzy posted:

I sit within earshot of a person that belches a couple times a day,
The co-worker that sits closest to me slurps his sodas quite loudly then does the "aaaahhh" afterwards. He often belches quite audibly throughout the day. He and another co-worker often talk/joke loudly (loud enough that I can hear them even with earbuds in).

TWBalls
Apr 16, 2003
My medication never lies

Sickening posted:

The thought process of someone like that bugs the poo poo out of me. It takes more effort to email 5 different groups separately than going to one single location. The amount of effort people put into doing everything but what policy dictates is just loving mystifying.

I will never understand people who refuse to use these processes and then get upset when they don't get what they want.

You've just described a good portion of my end users. They'll call all 5 techs desk phones as well as the directors' and leave messages for them before they'll even attempt to open a ticket. "Because it takes too long to open a ticket". It takes maybe 5 minutes. It probably took them about 1-2 minutes per person that they called, waited for VM to pick up and leave them a message.

TWBalls
Apr 16, 2003
My medication never lies

Proteus Jones posted:

I'm not that subtle. I had a CA team that kept scheduling calls at 4 PM Pacific time (I'm Central).

poo poo, I'm in CA and I'd skip that as well. What kind of rear end in a top hat schedules meetings at 4PM?

TWBalls
Apr 16, 2003
My medication never lies

MC Fruit Stripe posted:

I don't want to hear from you until you've joined a meeting, immediately muted, set your headset down, and walked away for good. That's how Stripe does 7pm meetings, baby.

I don't have a headset, so my version of this is join, mute and turn the speakerphone volume all the way down then either continue working or watch YouTube videos if it's slow.

TWBalls
Apr 16, 2003
My medication never lies

22 Eargesplitten posted:

Dark beers are the best, although maybe not in Summer. Left Hand’s Winter seasonal Fade to Black is fantastic, as is New Belgium’s Clutch special release. It’s really hard to find, though.

It had been a while since I'd had a dark beer, so I decided to try one from Belching Beaver. I bought a 6pack of the Peanut Butter Milk Stout and split it with my brother. It was quite good. Altamont Beer Works (one of my favorite local brewers) also has a really good Stout called Something New. It's also one of the few beers that they've been bottling and distributing. I managed to find it at Total Wine.

TWBalls
Apr 16, 2003
My medication never lies

pixaal posted:

Not work related but someone here might have an answer:

My brother's Galaxy S6 has a broken micro USB port, he can charge it using a wireless charging platform. He wants to get all the data onto his new phone, which will be some flavor of Android (possibly a Galaxy S9). He wants to get data off the old phone, is there any app that will do this 100% wirelessly? He's probably picking out and getting the new phone tomorrow. I think the most important thing to him is he's used the built in notepad to take tons of notes and doesn't want to transcribe them. (I'll get him to switch to Evernote, but that doesn't solve the current issue).

I've had good luck with Samsung Smart Switch. It has the option of USB or Wireless transfer.

***Edit***
It's built in to newer Samsungs. Older phones/non Samsung phones will likely need to download the app from Google Play store.

TWBalls
Apr 16, 2003
My medication never lies

Bigass Moth posted:

My four year old can flush the toilet. Why can’t my adult coworkers?

I see I'm not the only one having to clean up after my adult coworkers after they've pissed everywhere. JFC, I'm the youngest and I'm 40. There's no excuse except that they're disgusting assholes.

TWBalls
Apr 16, 2003
My medication never lies

DelphiAegis posted:

Sounds like you need to stop making coffee for everyone else and let the place burn to the ground due to lack of caffeine. :getin:

This. Do what I did and buy your own coffee maker and keep it at your desk. This reminds me, it's been ages since I've gone to my favorite coffee spot (because I no longer live there and is quite a distance). If anyone is in the Santa Clara, CA area, do yourself a favor and check out Chromatic Coffee. It's amazing.

TWBalls
Apr 16, 2003
My medication never lies

ratbert90 posted:

The problem with Santa Clara is that it's in the bay. Plenty of better Santas in SoCal (best Cal.)

SoCal? No thanks. I'll stick to the Bay any day of the week.

Also, if you guys are interested in roasting your own coffee, I'm a big fan of Sweet Marias. Good coffee and the owner seems like a good dude. He likes to visit the coffee farmers and often post pics of his excursions.

TWBalls
Apr 16, 2003
My medication never lies

Partycat posted:

Better than throwing it on the lawn
Or in the case of FedEx, they'll say it was delivered on time only to suddenly show up days later. After they pulled that poo poo for the 3rd time (in 2 different locations no less), I refuse to use them. I'll pay a few dollars more for anyone else to deliver.

TWBalls
Apr 16, 2003
My medication never lies

Moo the cow posted:

That's not a parody?

Like when people claimed the next iMac would have the keyboard replaced by a spinning character wheel?

I would legit prefer the Chinese to be stealing all my personal data than put up with that poo poo.

eh, compared to that Bixby button, it's far less noticable. Today was the first time I've ever bothered to click on that tab. I didn't get ads because I haven't gone thorugh the setup (and don't intend to).

TWBalls
Apr 16, 2003
My medication never lies

devmd01 posted:

Snagless is great!

To be fair, that's an incredibly stupid place to place a button, especially since snagless ethernet cables weren't exactly new when those switches came out. They should have put them on the far left side, like they did prior switches.

TWBalls
Apr 16, 2003
My medication never lies

regulargonzalez posted:

First machine that comes preloaded with Windows 11 showed up today.

You now must have an internet connection and Windows account to set up the device. No way around it that I can find.

I'll probably just throw the default image on it but wanted to see what the setup experience was. More annoying than 10, anyway.

I can't speak to pre-loaded installs, but I installed Win11 on a couple of PC's at home and had no issues setting up local accounts during the setup process. I didn't find it any more or less difficult than I did with Win10.

TWBalls
Apr 16, 2003
My medication never lies

skooma512 posted:

Tell me more :munch:

Here's the spec bucket story

***edit***
How is this classic not in SAclopedia?

Also, while searching, I noticed that Sirotan mentioned that she was auditioning for Jeopardy! Just wondering how that went?

TWBalls fucked around with this message at 23:51 on Dec 16, 2021

TWBalls
Apr 16, 2003
My medication never lies

Potato Salad posted:

threaten them with a good time, and give them a day to save face

"hey it got delivered this morning, wouldja lookat that, we're good!"

adults act like children sometimes, that's just reality, everybody makes mistakes when they get pissy about their favorite toys

It's possible they're telling the truth. I've ordered stuff, FedEx claims it was delivered even though it hasn't, only for it to show up days later (This is on different occasions and different cities, so it's not just one driver doing this). I once got a nice Code Keyboard for free due to that. If given the option of shipping, I'll gladly pay extra to use anyone but FedEx. gently caress FedEx.

TWBalls
Apr 16, 2003
My medication never lies

Sickening posted:

This. If this person had sso for everything and their password never expired, this stuff would almost disappear.

You would think so, except that we have SSO at the hospitals I support and the amount of people that don't know how to use it (They're trained on using it during orientation and get a printout 'cheatsheet' on how to use it) or outright refuse to use it is staggering. Granted, their passwords do expire, but I have no control over that. The docs & nurses are pretty good about using it as that enables them to badge in/out of WoWs & desktops, it's more the office workers & admitting folks that do that.

TWBalls
Apr 16, 2003
My medication never lies

Sickening posted:

What do you mean "know how to use it".
Well, they claim they don't know how to use it, despite being shown how to use it during orientation, documentation on the intranet and training on the training site. If I'm not bogged down with tickets and they're willing to learn, I'll gladly show them how to use it (and many do stick with it as they no longer have to remember passwords or keep track of post-its).

quote:

Why give a choice? And password expiration no longer being best practice is exactly for this reason.
I'm just a tech, those choices are all made by folks beyond my paygrade.

The Fool posted:

What sort of garbage SSO implementation do you have that requires "training" to use.

It should be a seamless experience indistinguishable from any other login prompt.
Caradigm (looks like they may be going by Imprivata now?). Again, not my choice.

TWBalls
Apr 16, 2003
My medication never lies

Thanks Ants posted:

The nurse is already issued with a badge, it should be a smartcard, everything else should be SSO'd to that account

They're issued a badge, then during orientation they enroll the badge, along with their credentials for their various programs. Or at least that's how it's supposed to go. I'm not sure if HR/Education depts are doing their jobs or not. I'm guessing not, since there's plenty of folks I've had to help enroll their badge & creds.

I do notice that our badging system isn't as nice as Kaiser. They can walk up and it'll detect them and log them in. If they walk away, it locks the workstation. Ours, you have to tap the badge against a reader to log in/lock workstation.

TWBalls
Apr 16, 2003
My medication never lies

xzzy posted:

Nurses don't get A badge, they get a stack of them and each one permits access to a different unit or a secure area within a unit. Or a device in a unit.

I guess technically that could all be managed with a single badge, but I don't run a hospital I just stare in amazement at the collection of plastic my wife has to hang from her scrubs.

Depends on the hospital I guess. At one I work at, they just gave a single badge. At another, they give 2. They're both basically the same, only one is printed in portrait, the other landscape. They also gave us some 'shortcut' cards that explain some of the acronyms & codes they use (which apparently aren't yet standardized across all of the hospitals in their network).

TWBalls
Apr 16, 2003
My medication never lies

BaseballPCHiker posted:

Just wait until you have to relearn the right click context menu! Unnecessary fun times.

I hate that poo poo. However, a quick Google search says to just check the 'launch folders in a separate process' should get rid of it. Gonna give that a go when I get home. Hopefully, the regular right-click context menu comes back.

TWBalls
Apr 16, 2003
My medication never lies

Wizard of the Deep posted:

Unless something changed recently, this didn't fix the useless context menu in File Explorer. I had to dig up a registry edit.

I haven't gotten annoyed enough yet to restore the taskbar right-click menu to something useful, but I'm real drat close.
No, you're right.. That didn't work, so I ended up finding the registry entry to edit. Thanks!

TWBalls
Apr 16, 2003
My medication never lies

regulargonzalez posted:

Ain't nothing more fun than the IT Director wanting to make a few registry tweaks in 8 newly imaged machines.

End result: now, no one who isn't a local admin can log in. These specific machines are needed for a regional conference we're hosting that starts Monday. Same IT Director won't let me just reimage the machines, he would rather I try to fix them. Making everyone a local admin for the duration of the conference is also not an option.

Can you not roll the changes back via system restore? I would ask if your boss could tell you which registry keys he modified so that you can change them back, but I'm sure we already know the answer to that.

TWBalls
Apr 16, 2003
My medication never lies

KillHour posted:

I was talking to a barista at a coffee shop I go to and we got on the subject of him being in a band and just finishing their first full album. He gave me a CD that I have no way of playing without digging something out of storage.

But then, where do you put your coffee cup? :v:

TWBalls
Apr 16, 2003
My medication never lies

Polio Vax Scene posted:

We have, what is supposed to be, a 10 minute status check-up meeting with our team every day. The intent is you give a brief summary of what you're working on that day, and to ask the team questions if you have any for them.
What happens every day is the first 5 minutes are always spent by one guy talking about the weather, or his cat, or video games. The meeting goes over time because of this. When I had had enough and kindly mentioned during one meeting that we stay on topic, I am now mocked for it. It sucks so bad, I just don't want to attend this meeting any more.

When I'm dragged into meetings like this where it's not really necessary, I'll either join early or late (so that they see me join), then quietly drop off after a minute or two. I've better things to do than listen to poo poo that doesn't concern me.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TWBalls
Apr 16, 2003
My medication never lies

Agrikk posted:

Finally got around to trying Windows 11 on my laptop and I already hate it. I mean yeah, it's a spiffy new look and they've replaced the spinning dots on the startup screen with a solid line but

WTF Microsoft? Right-click - copy / right-click paste has been an option forever. This is where you decide to make changes?

Funny not funny how whenever I install a new Windows version I have to spend weeks putting everything back.

/luddite

I quite like Windows 11, but also hate the new right click menu. Here's the fix (C&P into CLI):
code:
reg add "HKCU\Software\Classes\CLSID\{86ca1aa0-34aa-4e8b-a509-50c905bae2a2}\InprocServer32" /f /ve