Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Lum
Aug 13, 2003

demonachizer posted:

To lovingly foster it for around 4 years before finally pulling the plug?

I was thinking more of realising that it was a poo poo idea and getting rid, but ok I guess. BYOD has been around a few years now hasn't it?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lum
Aug 13, 2003

Sirotan posted:

I've found my hell, it's setting up new print servers.

FTFY

Lum
Aug 13, 2003

HalloKitty posted:

gently caress, that was my first thought.

Mine was "Why the gently caress is the sound defaulted to IRQ10? Everyone knows they come set to either 5 or 7". Then I realised that no-one knows that any more as it's irrelevant.

I do kind of miss the days when I had much respect from my circle of friends as the person who could write a CONFIG.SYS/AUTOEXEC.BAT suitable for any game they acquired, complete with pretty menus and everything.

Lum
Aug 13, 2003

Sweevo posted:

There was some reason the COM ports had to be on different IRQs. I can't remember what it was (maybe mouse driver?). IRQs 3/4/5/9 were the only settings the card allowed, and 7 was already used for the on-board parallel port and couldn't be disabled. So 10 was the only free IRQ for the sound.

Setting up your perfect fantasy IRQ allocation is easy. In real life you have to work with what you've got, and work around the restrictions.

I do remember having internal modem on COM3 and mouse on COM1 used to cause issues. I just set it to IRQ2/9 (and yes I can remember why 2&9 are the same thing!), with the SoundBlaster on IRQ7. IRQ10 was for the third IDE controller I happened to have, since in those days having a CD burner sharing with any other device would screw things up.

I think the Gravis UltraSound may have defaulted to 10, but I was never rich enough to own one of those, and back in those days you either owned a SoundBlaster compatible card, or you didn't get sound in half of your games.

hihifellow posted:

Thank god I wasn't the only who thought that. So many years in that blue menu on grey background setup.exe setting sound card IRQs and DMAs it's permanently etched into my brain.

SET BLASTER=A220 I5 D1 H5

Only for 99% of games to ignore that and demand manual configuration.

Lum fucked around with this message at 15:44 on Nov 13, 2013

Lum
Aug 13, 2003

Fil5000 posted:

Didn't you also need "T4" or something in there? I'm sure mine used to have it in.

Yes, you do. I wrote that post from memory rather than Googling.

By which I mean memory in my brain.

Conventional memory, if you will.

Lum
Aug 13, 2003

GargleBlaster posted:

Don't you 'SET' me! :stonk:

SET GARGLE=TCP

For the Americans who probably won't get this joke: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Trichlorophenylmethyliodosalicyl

Lum fucked around with this message at 21:50 on Nov 14, 2013

Lum
Aug 13, 2003

Stealthgerbil posted:

gently caress scanners. I don't understand why this canon dr-2580c isn't showing up in the list of scanners in adobe. It is recognized as a scanner under devices. loving canon. I just plugged it into an identical machine with the same drivers (we move the scanner a lot) and it works fine. Did the usual uninstall drivers and software, etc too.

I've found that some of the more recent Canon DR drivers are missing critical files necessary for TWAIN support. If you still have the CD for that one anywhere installing their lovely CapturePerfect software fixes it.

I put together a package of the necessary files, though this was for 64bit Win7 and based on a DR-5010C. Happy to send it to you, though no idea if it will help with a 2580.

Also are you using USB or SCSI?

Lum
Aug 13, 2003

Kyrosiris posted:

I had the same issue with one of their all-in-one printers that have a scanner.

Well, no-idea if it will work for you, but here's the package of necessary files I found so you can avoid having to install CapturePerfect

http://www.lum.co.uk/temp/DR5010c%20Missing%20Files.7z

Lum
Aug 13, 2003

Distribution lists are pissing me off today. They've been broken for the last 3 days and it has been glorious.

Context, we have two that are relevent for this post.

(SiteName) Everyone - This is every employee who reports to a manager at SiteName, this is pretty much the entire company, including me.
(SiteName) Staff - This is people who actually work at SiteName. This does not include me as I'm 5 hours drive away

Most folk understand this, but one person does not understand the difference. He's also the office do-gooder, self-appointed parking attendant and self-appointed enforcer of a few other things.

Lum fucked around with this message at 17:15 on Nov 29, 2013

Lum
Aug 13, 2003

Fil5000 posted:

We had someone reply all to an email to an entire department (around 3000 people) with "please remove me from this list", which was in turn greeted by many, many people reply all telling him not to reply all, and it looked like it would all stop when the head of said department sent a reply telling everyone to knock it off.

Then some guy sent an Anchorman "that escalated quickly" meme. And immediately tried to recall it.

Someone add a tumblr email-submission address to that distribution list.

Lum
Aug 13, 2003

underlig posted:

I like how the masking is actually in the shape of. ..

Oh good, someone noticed.

quote:

At oldjob i put a filter like that in the exchange-server, for emails from our ticket database that started with "boss has", as i would get tons of emails telling me that boss either assigned a new ticket to me or updated an existing. While he sat three meters away, completely silent.

Our helpdesk emails everyone every time anyone updates any ticket. Those get deleted server-side.

I just wish mark-as-read didn't make it a client side rule. Why can't this be done on the server?

Lum
Aug 13, 2003

You think you got cable run problems?

This thing from Sweden in 1890 turned up on IRC the other day. It carries phone calls. The cables probably aren't insulated.

Full set: https://secure.flickr.com/photos/tekniskamuseet/sets/72157629589461917/

Lum
Aug 13, 2003

rolleyes posted:

I'm glad I'm not the only one who had a "bwuuuh?" reaction when confronted with the Bra for Windows.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eUEemQeInjE

Lum
Aug 13, 2003

Rhymenoserous posted:

If the domain controller goes down no one can unlock the bra.

Now if Microsoft started getting into that sort of industry, that would be truly terrifying.

Lum
Aug 13, 2003

MS also did a hell of a lot better than Netware on the user experience front too, little things like if two PCs have an explorer window open viewing the same shared drive and one makes a change, the other gets to see that without having to hit F5 first. It's this kind of stupid poo poo that senior managers make decisions on. Netware rapidly started to look dated and clunky.

The main thing that used to bug the poo poo out of me with Netware was its reliance on mapped drives, and increasingly clunky login methods. It was basically impossible to get a Windows service to authenticate with Netware without some serious flaky bodging, so if you need to run a service that does anything with network files you're basically hosed.

The rest of the problems I encountered regularly were caused by implementation stupidity that was supposedly best practice advised by Netware certified people. A common setup in Netware orgs I had was that users would have their own home directory, typically F: or H: mapped to SERVER:VOL1\USERS\JBLOGGS) and the manager would have access to everyone's home directory for their department via S: mapped to SERVER:VOL1\USERS.

Some manager would then come along and realise that they have a copy of their work on the F: drive and then another copy on the S: drive, and helpfully try to free up space by removing the copy on the S: drive that they never use, then suddenly all their work is gone!

Not the fault of the OS, but I encountered it so many times it got silly.

Don't even get me started on login contexts, another clunky as poo poo mechanism that would result in failed logins if someone else had used your machine. Basically the same problem as the desktop engineer leaving the domain set to Local PC, only instead of a choice of Local/Domain you had to go browsing through a tree structure several layers deep to find your exact location within the directory. You could guarantee that the directory services would be having a slow day on the day someone important has this issue.

Lum
Aug 13, 2003

Caged posted:

I'm not a manager but I consider that way more important than a little thing. Have phone calls constantly because someone can't see the files that someone else swears are there, or use something different? Easy decision.

When I say "little things" I mean like the person who builds a perfect house, but forgets to paint the doorframes vs the person who slaps something together using sheets of plywood and a staple gun, but then tarts it up really nicely, really good paint job, thoroughly cleaned etc.

Lum
Aug 13, 2003

dogstile posted:

That's all well and good, but I want to work dammit. I've had so much free time that i've read this entire thread in about a week.

You could always start on the old thread? It had a few thousand pages IIRC :)

Lum
Aug 13, 2003

evol262 posted:

Use IPA if you want a non-AD LDAP+KRB5 solution.

Agreed:

Lum
Aug 13, 2003

Caged posted:

Haha you just reminded me that Windows Update was handled in a browser in XP. What the gently caress caused someone to think that was a good idea.

Going to go against the grain here. The Windows Update website, and ActiveX plugin, was a fantastic idea...

...in 1995, when it was launched.

Back then, most folk were on dialup, if they even had internet access at all, and 386s were still in daily use. The last thing you wanted was a background process chewing on lists of patches and causing you huge phone bills as it downloads things silently in the background.

Back then, if you wanted to patch your OS, you had to manually obtain lists of patches, probably from a website with a huge list, download them one by one and install them by hand, possibly rebooting after each one unless you knew how to use QChain.

This wasn't just sysadmins, home users had to do this too, only most didn't bother. Until this point it wasn't a huge issue as most home systems wern't online, but since dial-up was becoming increasingly common and you didn't even have NAT-as-a-firewall protecting dial-up users, this needed to be addressed. Internet worms and email viruses were a rising threat that looked set to displace the more traditional viruses that spread attached to that warezed copy of Doom II you got from that one person at school.

So having a website you could go to, at a time of your convenience, ideally at a time when the dial-up fees were cheaper (after 6PM, and before 9AM for the UK folk) and have an ActiveX plugin run that told you what patches you need and then automatically download and install them for you was a huge step forward that encouraged more people to protect their PCs.

To do this silently in the background, would have had people cursing Microsoft for killing the performance of their PCs and costing them a fortune in phone bills, especially those who had autodial configured. Plus it'd probably try to dial out while you were making a call on the same line, and that sucks, especially if you had your modem configured not to wait for a dialtone.

The automatic updates client that XP acquired (I think it was in SP2), and was also available for Windows 2000, was the first baby step towards the windows update we now know and love, but even in the early 2000s, it was not appropriate for everyone.

Lum fucked around with this message at 15:04 on Dec 18, 2013

Lum
Aug 13, 2003

Sweevo posted:

When did Windows Update stop supporting IE6? I know they stopped supporting IE5 a while ago (I want to say about 18 months) because I remember it being an issue with Windows 2000 and having to install IE6 by hand first.

WindowsUpdate works fine with IE6, though it will demand that you install a small update first, then it will demand that you install GenuineAdvantage, then you get the updates.

Lum
Aug 13, 2003

H1KE posted:

I'm going through this poo poo right now with a crappy Dimension 5150. It wanted IE8 to run updates, so I clicked the link for IE8 download and it sent me to a short url that ended in 'pixel.gif' instead of the IE8 download exe?! Now after doing everything it asked [IE8, NET 2.0 and SP3] it still throws an error, so now I have to download the 'Windows Install Agent' and try again after that. I forgot how lovely a fresh install of XP can be to get working properly. I've been spoilt by 7 and 8.1 just working right out of the gate.

Oh god, no wonder you people are having poo poo.

Start with an XP SP3 CD. If you don't have one then either :filez: one or make one using nLite.

gently caress installing XP from an RTM CD. Seriously. Just no

Lum
Aug 13, 2003

skipdogg posted:

Having been involved with call centers for many years I love it when that happens. My wife works at a credit union and their call center has been just destroyed with the volume of calls from Target shoppers and people flipping out. It's always fun to watch the incoming trunks fill completely up.

Gonna need some context here. I know Target are a major US chain store, I get the impression they're #2 to Walmart.

Have they gone bankrupt or something?

Lum
Aug 13, 2003

ookiimarukochan posted:

A Robert X Cringely article for you - he's one of a handful of IT pundits who is right almost as often as he is wrong, and his suggestions here are certainly believable (I know that there've been issues where UK data has leaked via poorly paid Indian outsourcers at least) - even better, read through the comments for a guy who totally fails to understand how chip and pin would mitigate against whatever happened here.

To be fair, chip+pin is pretty easy to defeat, since the PIN is stored on the card and it's a boolean "PIN verified" flag that gets sent back to the card provider.

The only thing chip+pin does is let the banks say "not our fault, you must have revealed your PIN", and then refuse to refund you. See also: 3D Secure.

Lum
Aug 13, 2003

ookiimarukochan posted:

Means that you need the vendor to be corrupt now as well, so it should stop some of the hilariously goofy skimming that used to happen.

Nope, there's ways that avoid this, especially now since the cashier probably wont even see the card, or it's a self service till.

quote:

3DSecure is a loving stupid piece of security theatre though - is this the point to reveal that in my experience the worst programmers out there are the ones who work for banks? Weird as hell given what a slog it actually is (again, in my experience) to get a job working for one.

Does it still require cross-site scripting to function? I know no-script used to regularly block it because of that, but these days I do my online purchases on a card that doesn't require it.

Lum
Aug 13, 2003

Crowley posted:

Especially when it's so much easier to just tighten the screws with a small pair of pliers. I think we all know how difficult is it to unscrew a VGA plug when it's tightened down firmly.

It's easy you just unscrew the thing the plug screws into as well and then wail in horror as the VGA socket disappears into the internals of your machine.

Works with serial ports too.

Now loctiting that little component is something I could support.

Lum
Aug 13, 2003

potato of destiny posted:

Dearest users: your stupid buttcoin-of-the-week program is not an appropriate use of company resources. Yes, we can and will remove unauthorized software from "your" computer, particularly if it twigs your virus scanner. No, it is not in fact your computer, nor your bandwidth, nor your electricity.

Please tell me it was dogecoin!

Lum
Aug 13, 2003

So the PSU died in my monitor. Annoying but not the end of the world as it's external.

I look up the correct replacement (the stock one is known to fail regularly) and order it from a site called replacement-batteries.co.uk who claim to have it in stock and in the UK.

When querying why they haven't sent it, I get a reply in broken English that is using that distinctive font that is always used when the author is using a far eastern character encoding. A week later I get a tracking number that ends in MY.

The supply itself seems genuine, and they've chucked in something vaguely resembling a UK power cable, only the plug is physically too small to fit a fuse (legal requirement in the UK) and the earth pin, which is supposed to be solid metal, is part plastic and snapped when prodded. The reason it's supposed to be solid metal is the earth connectors in the socket are right at the front, with the live and neutral more recessed, causing the earth to always be connected first, but when it's half plastic like this one it means it's never earthed.

Not that it matters because despite this being a 3 pin telefunken cable (laptop cloverleaf type) it only used 2 core cable anyway.

Guess I get to buy a new cable now (the old PSU had a kettle lead instead).

Lum fucked around with this message at 15:01 on Dec 30, 2013

Lum
Aug 13, 2003

ookiimarukochan posted:

Unless I'm missing something their order page is all over pure http (didn't want to put in payment info in case I accidentally bought something but certainly the form you put in the billing address etc is submitted over http) which would have me looking for a different vendor straight off.

Or am I unusually paranoid about that sort of thing?

Their payment is paypal only, so that's ok.

If you can find somewhere else that sells a Li Shin 0227B24130 power supply, I'll bear it in mind for next time.

Lum
Aug 13, 2003

ookiimarukochan posted:

Side effect of having a degree in (amongst other things) electronic engineering is that I buy to spec rather than model number when picking up replacement power supplies. Power supplies are just about the shittiest (nosiest, furthest out of spec etc) electronic part you're going to find in a system and their quality has only been going down over time.

Well the original was 24V 5A but even this was hard to find short of ludicrously expensive bench PSUs. I certainly wasn't averse to chopping off the cable off the end of the old one, and soldering it onto any generic PSU I could find, I just couldn't get above 19V short of spending stupid money, so I ended up just searching on model number.

Is ultimately worth the hassle as I am very fond of this monitor. Hazro HZ26Wi owns :3:

Edit: Well for laughs we took it apart.

Turns out it is actually 3 core, but the copper is 0.5mm2 and lovely copper at that.

It also has two black wires and one blue wire. The blue wire connects to earth!

Straight in the bin with this thing I think.

Lum fucked around with this message at 21:32 on Dec 30, 2013

Lum
Aug 13, 2003

Had a guest staying with us who has Windows 7 laptop, it's unlikely she's messed with it from its default configuration, but the build is OEM of some sort.

It was preferring IPv6 tunnelling (sixxs.net) and the DNS server provided by that tunnel provider, rather than use our actual network which is especially dumb as we have an IPv6 capable router and use one of the few UK ISPs that offer native IPv6

In short, it couldn't resolve any local machine names, couldn't connect to our NAS, and because it was tunnelling in preference to native, it means reduced performance, which is why so many tweak guides out there tell you to disable IPv6 completely.

I just got her to disable the tunnels, so when her ISP does finally upgrade, IPv6 will work properly.

Lum
Aug 13, 2003

yes, my win8 laptop (unmodified Microsoft build) has tunneling enabled and it works fine.

Results on hers were:

ping 192.168.1.x - works
ping NAS - fails to resolve
ping NAS.domain.suffix - works, resolves to IPv4

\\NAS - fails
\\NAS.domain.suffix - fails

Turning off tunnelling seemed to be the least harmful fix, given we didn't have long to sort it.

Lum
Aug 13, 2003

Ynglaur posted:

This type of manager will happily bitch about his worthless IT department the moment some virus from 2007 compromises the network and publishes customer PII.

Why would a virus publish this company's preferred choice of desktop CPU?

Lum
Aug 13, 2003

I thought the response to salary questions was "It's covered by NDA".

Lum
Aug 13, 2003

Paladine_PSoT posted:

Also by saving his number under the name "Customer - Do not answer". When you see that, make sure it rings twice then hit ignore. That way he'll know you ignored it.

One of the phones I had (I think it was the Nokia N97) had a wonderful feature where ignore was separate to hang up. It would silence the ringer but let the call keep ringing before being dealt with however your network would normally deal with an unanswered call (e.g. 7 rings then voicemail).

It was great for not aggressively hanging up on people while at the same time not being disturbed by the call.

Someone should make an Android app that recreates this feature, if there isn't one already.

Lum
Aug 13, 2003

The Dreamer posted:

Most phones let you just press the vol down button to silence a call.

Problem with that is I never remember to turn it back up again afterwards >.<

Lum
Aug 13, 2003

Kyrosiris posted:

No no, while the ringer is active, just press vol-down once. That mutes the ringer (but it keeps ringing on the caller's end) and IIRC doesn't modify your volume, either. Works fine on my Droid 4 (which last time I checked, is the same phone you use).

I do still use it.

Must've gotten burned doing that on an earlier Android and not tried again. I shall give it a go, thank you.

Lum
Aug 13, 2003

Is this the part of the thread where the work from home crowd get all :smug:

Today's ticket

ShittyApp is slow
Go to webex in and the customer makes me wait 5 minutes for Internet Explorer to load.
Yeah, I think this issue is not confined to just ShittyApp.

Lum
Aug 13, 2003

Caged posted:

Is it an 11 year old XP install on a GX260?

Not far off actually

It was installed in 2004. It's a dual core P4 2.8GHz and it's made by Dell.

Not sure the exact model or the amount of RAM.

It runs a highly specialised ShittyApp, OCR with heavy customisations by a now bankrupt company, that somehow got slipped into our support contract without anyone noticing.

I'll probably try to bully it into working on Win7 at some point!

Lum
Aug 13, 2003

Dick Trauma posted:

I'm going to have to stage an intervention for this guy:

What's going on there is actually understandable.

Looks like he has one of those Dell docking stations with the built in monitor stand, the ones you then have to screw your monitor to.

With those you end up with your primary monitor at a height that an identical monitor with the stock stand can never reach.

It's annoying as gently caress to not have two identical side-by-side monitors line up like that.

(I used manuals for VB 5 and 6 from the bosses "don't throw anything away" cupboard)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lum
Aug 13, 2003

Trastion posted:

And you expect anything different? Just be glad that it didn't somehow take down your whole organization when you browse their website. Remember their tag line is "We've hosed up over a BILLION devices!" or something like that anyways.

"Java runs on a billion devices, but the only ones that are any good are running a really heavily modified version that someone else wrote from scratch, and we're currently suing the people who did that because we can't compete on technical merit. Here, have McAfee so the rest of your system becomes just as slow as whatever Java poo poo you're trying to run."

or alternatively.

"Java runs on a billion devices, but this is a PC so don't bother unless you play Minecraft"

Lum fucked around with this message at 18:04 on Jan 16, 2014