Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

afflictionwisp
Aug 26, 2003
IT Director :downs:: "Hey, [problem] is happening and its impacting my day-to-day, what's up?"
:v: "Yeah, that's happening because of [situation]. We're on top of it, I'm building [solution] but its a couple weeks out. In the short-term you can do [workaround]."
:downs: "Oh, ok. No need for [workaround], I'll sit tight and wait on [solution], its not really that big of a deal."

One weekend later :downs: emails my manager an the CIO: "[Problem] is still happening, this is UNACCEPTABLE, I need [workaround] right now. Why was this not offered to me before? RAAAWWR!"

Luckily my boss put him in his place. It's so nice to have a manager that has your back. IT Director is almost a ceremonial title, he was such an obstruction to my team that my boss has reported directly to the CIO for over a year. Dude is such a cocksucker.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

afflictionwisp
Aug 26, 2003

nitrogen posted:

Can someone explain to me why people that infect their orgs with cryptolocker aren't immediately fired?

Hearing so many stories about how companies are getting multiple infections (sometimes from the same person) and I hear people spending so much energy on preventing infections instead of terminating employees who are too stupid to follow some simple security rules? I guarantee if people started getting canned over stupidity that is required to infect with cryptolocker, it'd probably do wonders.

Our's came through the user's gmail account, and our internet usage policy doesn't state that people cant check their personal email. That poo poo is now filtered, and the domains for the most common mail providers are black holed on our DNS servers, but no grounds to fire the person responsible.

afflictionwisp
Aug 26, 2003
My company's archaic remote access policy, which is "We dont allow telecomuting, RAWR!" The owners actually get angry whenever anyone brings it up. Even though we've had to build a rather robust RDS environment to facilitate people doing there jobs because, well, it isn't 1992. Unfortunately this meant that, earlier this week when we had ice and snow dumped on us and no one could get anywhere and I was working from home, I was still forced to take PTO.

And since its our busy season, they wanted asses in the chairs this weekend, just in case. Like we're not always on call by default anyway. And, since its our busy season, we're not allowed to make any changes right now. So here I am, in the office on a Saturday with next to nothing to do, not even getting comp time.

afflictionwisp
Aug 26, 2003

evol262 posted:

Not that I'd recommend pushing it

Basically this. They know full well that they're skirting legality in quite a few ways, but their compensation policy is written in such a way that my equivalent hourly rate is lower than my actual salary and something something "so we're technically paying you."
I wouldn't have the resources to fight it and I'm lucky enough that my boss doesn't give a poo poo when I'm here as long as work gets done. If he leaves, I'll be getting my resume together, but for the moment I'm just crabby.

afflictionwisp fucked around with this message at 19:17 on Dec 14, 2013

afflictionwisp
Aug 26, 2003
Hey, so, Dude, who is our senior on our entire virtualization stack, from SAN to blades to host to VM, is quitting. we know you're not fully up to speed on all of it, but you've worked with it enough that we'd like you to step into his shoes and be basically our only admin for all that poo poo, we'll train you up, dont worry. We're promoting someone from helpdesk to take on your old responsibilities, so you'll have to train them.

...4 weeks...

Yeah, so, although he's been officially promoted, Helpdesk Dude's responsibilities on the helpdesk are far too important for him to start his new job yet, so we're going to need you to go ahead and keep doing your old job for now, too.

afflictionwisp
Aug 26, 2003
There was a salary bump involved, and I am excited, I'll walk out of this place in a couple years demanding mid-six-figures easily. I'm also pissed that its seen as more important for Helpdesk Dude (who deserves the promotion) to continue answering phones instead of getting up to speed on important systems and alleviating some of this workload. There is political bullshit going on between the managers that's resulting in things not getting done. I could be working 24/7 right now and I'd still be behind.

afflictionwisp fucked around with this message at 19:06 on Aug 29, 2014

afflictionwisp
Aug 26, 2003
an incorrect setting on part of my san is causing periodic downtimes on VMs and inconsistent datastore connections in VMware, but I'm not allowed to fix it right now because my boss thinks that the redundancy mechanisms that are in place to allow me to fix it without anything dropping a single ping might cause a multi-second loss of network connectivity if I use them, so we have to leave poo poo broken for a week so there can be a CAB vote to make sure its OK. :rolleyes:

afflictionwisp
Aug 26, 2003
I found out yesterday from a coworker that, some time ago, when he was promoted from Helpdesk 2 to Junior SysAdmin, it was framed to him as a lateral move and he wasn't given a raise. I was given a raise at that time, instead. This occurred because, if they hadn't, Dude would have been making more as a junior than I was as a standard. Which means not only did they know I wasn't being fairly compensated, that I didn't earn that compensation based on my skill and work, but also that I was used as an excuse to gently caress someone else over.

Funny thing, when people who are angry at their jobs find out that other people are, too, they start talking about what is making them angry. This is just the latest in a long string of bullshit, but at least I was doing interesting work. This one made me sick, though. I'm still nauseated.

afflictionwisp
Aug 26, 2003
VP of IT says, "So hey Parent Company acquired this Other Company. They're primarily going to be working with Subsidiary, and since Subsidiary's IT dudes don't have any experience with this kind of merger, we're going to let them handle the onboarding and integration and we're just going to be here to advise Subsidiary people. I don't want you making decisions. Oh BTW, Other Company's office lease is up at the end of march so we need to have them fully moved and online in 6 weeks. Oh, also, they can't bring any equipment with them because they still have a bunch of data from other clients that they need to destroy, so they need all new equipment."

This has quickly turned into us at Parent IT being involved in every single conversation with no one knowing who is doing what, who is responsible for anything, what decisions have been made, trying to get between Sub IT and vendors to guide quotes for overbuilt systems because there's no time to do proper sizing, Sub IT half-scared to commit to anything, wondering if any of it matters because there's no new office space lease yet, plus any other thing that you can think of that could get overlooked in a scenario like this.

afflictionwisp
Aug 26, 2003
ITSec taking deployment of AV and definition updates away from Systems. Because how hard can SCCM really be? I haven't had to actively work with SCCM in years but I still nurture a healthy fear and loathing of the platform. There are so many ways to break that stupid pig into removing custom policies and rerolling default settings with no exclusions to clients, which fucks with Developer workflows every time it happens. And since ITSec is incapable of following change control procedures, the whole of IT looks like complete dicks every time it happens.

Also pissing me off: I haven't been disillusioned enough with my job to regularly look at or post in this thread in a long time. I am not happy to be here again.

afflictionwisp fucked around with this message at 14:11 on May 31, 2023

afflictionwisp
Aug 26, 2003

SlowBloke posted:

Nobody sane of mind pushes ... from SCCM

I've been primarily storage services / vm hosting for near a decade now, so I just kinda watch from the sidelines. Seen so many people come and go on that platform. The lifespan of an SCCM admin seems to be about two years max from enthusiasm to complete burnout.

I've tried to warn them. One of my fondest memories is a colleague coming to me and saying, "I understand now. You were right. I thought you just hated your job, but this thing is loving awful!"

afflictionwisp
Aug 26, 2003

BaseballPCHiker posted:

I hate Elasticsearch so loving much.

"Why am I suddenly seeing a constant 30k+ IOPS on my storage? Its all metadata ops, wtf? Oh, someone made a new elasticsearch instance."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

afflictionwisp
Aug 26, 2003
Consumer power strips used in every rack in the site's server room instead of PDUs.