Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Japanese Dating Sim
Nov 12, 2003

hehe
Lipstick Apathy
Support jockeys - how many tickets would you say you typically have in your name at any given time? I'm especially curious about Tier 1/2 types.

Right now I have about 50. One of the guys next to me has 70. So we've got those tickets, and we're also the front-line people who answer all the calls that come in.

There are - in theory - six of us, plus our team lead, in the software company's customer support department where I work. But our team lead doesn't really have time to work many tickets (I don't hold this against him) and one of the other guys has basically converted into QA, they just haven't moved him yet. So there's 5 of us really. I think that you could double the number of people in support and we'd still be slightly understaffed. We continue to get new customers with no new hirings in sight.

I'm about to start jumping at those random 6 month desktop support contract jobs (that I know will suck) from the recruiters that keep emailing me. I'm so done with this place, and it sucks because the people I work with are actually really cool.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Japanese Dating Sim
Nov 12, 2003

hehe
Lipstick Apathy
Wasn't the thing where the guy's boss wanted him to set up a projector in the middle of a field supposed to happen today? :ohdear:

Japanese Dating Sim
Nov 12, 2003

hehe
Lipstick Apathy

BaseballPCHiker posted:

Haha yes sir! Headed out in about an hour. Can't wait to see what it looks like.

I wish I could request pictures, but I'll settle for a write-up afterward.

Japanese Dating Sim
Nov 12, 2003

hehe
Lipstick Apathy
11GB .pst files covering emails from '99. :argh:

Japanese Dating Sim
Nov 12, 2003

hehe
Lipstick Apathy

HFX posted:

What specifically is wrong with this? It comes in handy when a client bugs me about something I did 8 years ago for them.

Honestly I don't mind. I would argue that I seriously doubt this person needs access to 15 year-old emails, but that's more of a philosophical debate.

USMT though hilariously just said 'nope' to that file and ignored it, while grabbing the other, more reasonably-sized .PST's (said user has several). I'll have to look at my XML's or something. :shrug:

Japanese Dating Sim
Nov 12, 2003

hehe
Lipstick Apathy
Shared offices. I hate shared offices.

"What? He's getting <literally any computer accessory>? I want <literally any computer accessory>, too."

The most annoying part is when they're both there when something gets delivered, and the other person is dropping hints instead of asking me outright (which is still a waste of their time, but at least then I'll tell them who they should talk to).

Japanese Dating Sim
Nov 12, 2003

hehe
Lipstick Apathy
Yeah, I just finished setting up a special snowflake 9020 with an SSD for someone. It did have an i7 (and 32GB of ram, which is ~24GBs that will never be used).

Japanese Dating Sim
Nov 12, 2003

hehe
Lipstick Apathy
Special snowflake users who want us to pay a premium to get Macbook Pros, and then basically want them turned into a slightly shitter Windows machine anyway via Parallels. Bonus points if they've never used a Mac before.

I'm probably being incoherent, because the week where we're short-staffed coincided perfectly with the week where we get more encryption failure and "fix these pop-ups I get from installing literally any piece of software that asks to be installed. also I need it back in 20 minutes" type tickets than any week before.

Japanese Dating Sim
Nov 12, 2003

hehe
Lipstick Apathy
I hate "do the needful" so loving much. It's completely irrational but I do.

Japanese Dating Sim
Nov 12, 2003

hehe
Lipstick Apathy

Caconym posted:

I've had a JIRA ticket open with a vendor to fix an issue where some special characters will choke the client application.
Got a patch to test today, installed it, opened the application, held down shift and dragged my finger from 1-9.

Boom. :downs:

Did you even attempt to test this? I mean...

I did tier-one application support for a program where if the user entered an open bracket or quote ([, ], or ") into basically any text field, it would break an important part of the program. I somehow became the "expert" at fixing these issues because I would copy-paste the text in question into notepad and do a control+f to find the rogue symbol.

I didn't work there for long, but I was amazed that something like this was just accepted and not considered a bug that needed to be fixed. It was considered a user education issue. :shrug:

Japanese Dating Sim
Nov 12, 2003

hehe
Lipstick Apathy
Boy do I love being asked to put in a ticket with Dell for an issue that I haven't verified (or done any troubleshooting on) on a machine that I haven't even seen.

Japanese Dating Sim
Nov 12, 2003

hehe
Lipstick Apathy

Spazz posted:

"We have an issue that nobody has been able to figure out, so now we're giving it to you!"

:negative:

WHY ARE YOUR METRICS GOING DOWN? :rant:

Japanese Dating Sim
Nov 12, 2003

hehe
Lipstick Apathy

Sarcasmatron posted:

New gig - I had a one-on-one with the Senior VP of our division. He referred to staff members as resources throughout our discussion. At the end, he asked me if I had any other questions.

I asked him if he would mind not referring to people as resources in my presence, as I found it personally offensive. He asked me how he should refer to them. I suggested "people".

Off to a good start :laugh:

:ohdear: Fight the good fight, dude. I would probably have not done the same, but I would've wanted to.

Japanese Dating Sim
Nov 12, 2003

hehe
Lipstick Apathy
Man, people complain about Dell support, but they're ridiculously easy compared to Lenovo's obtuse support site.

I know this is going to be a pain. New, out-of-the-box X1 Carbon blue-screened shortly after imaging, and is now blue-screening during imaging. MemTest86 tells me it's bad RAM, but I know it's not going to be that easy after this form I just filled out.

Edit: Okay, I take all of the above back. Decided to just call them (I wish they had a chat like Dell because :spergin: but oh well) and they handled it nice and quick.

Japanese Dating Sim fucked around with this message at 23:29 on Nov 12, 2014

Japanese Dating Sim
Nov 12, 2003

hehe
Lipstick Apathy

psydude posted:

Anyone ever bring lunch to work but still went out for food as an excuse to get the gently caress away from the office? This is one of those days

More often than I wish. TBH I don't really get that stressed here often, but I still need to leave fairly often.

Japanese Dating Sim
Nov 12, 2003

hehe
Lipstick Apathy

meanieface posted:

the sharepoint guy--who says to use IE

He's already dead inside, what did you expect?

Japanese Dating Sim
Nov 12, 2003

hehe
Lipstick Apathy
I think my next career goal is to have - if not a job title that guarantees it - the understanding that I am not expected to ever touch printers again.

Japanese Dating Sim
Nov 12, 2003

hehe
Lipstick Apathy
Well, you want to get a long lease to lock in the lower monthly rents for a long time.

Japanese Dating Sim
Nov 12, 2003

hehe
Lipstick Apathy
Not getting into the full story, but I just realized I've been interfering with my own troubleshooting efforts on this $7000.00 desktop by injecting x86 storage drivers into a 64-bit Win 7 system, which was preventing it from booting after MDT installed the OS. And I wanted to blame Dell so much. :sigh:

Japanese Dating Sim
Nov 12, 2003

hehe
Lipstick Apathy

Thanks Ants posted:

Did anyone else know HP have officially given up and are shouting to the world "don't buy our poo poo!"?

Yep. I'm just at the desktop support level, but I've managed to convince my boss that we should only ever buy Dells or Lenovos at this point, since they're the only two companies I know of that can be bothered to put all of their drivers into easily-obtained packages suitable for enterprise deployment.

HP's got that awful SoftPaq manager which ostensibly does the same thing, but it seems like random chance as to whether the device I'm trying to image will have a package on there or not.

Also, :lol:'ing at your cloud-to-butt extension.

Japanese Dating Sim
Nov 12, 2003

hehe
Lipstick Apathy

Erwin posted:

Why does the teacher have a key to the sysadmin office?
Was my first thought.

Japanese Dating Sim
Nov 12, 2003

hehe
Lipstick Apathy

Spazz posted:

poo poo pissing me off: Bitlocker. It's such a piece of poo poo that our IT department has acknowledged this and given us a self-service recovery page so we can unlock our laptops when it has to repair. In other words, every time I get a Windows update, I have to run through the recovery process.

Weird. How are your devices set to unlock at boot? We have 40+ devices using Bitlocker (they're all just automatic unlock using TPM) and I can only think of one device that's ever had a problem, which was caused by it shutting off during a Windows update install.

Japanese Dating Sim
Nov 12, 2003

hehe
Lipstick Apathy
Why do I need to go into Group Policy editor to install .Net Framework 3.5 on a Windows 8 machine (rhetorical question)? Oh well, at least it worked. http://www.askvg.com/fix-cant-install-microsoft-net-framework-3-5-in-windows-8-and-later/

Japanese Dating Sim
Nov 12, 2003

hehe
Lipstick Apathy

Yeah, I do. I followed that guide you linked before moving onto the one I found.

Given that it was me telling it to bypass WSUS, I'm assuming it's a problem on our end, but the WSUS server guy is so far removed from where I am that this was much less effort.

Also, from the article you linked:

quote:

Windows Server Update Services. An error can also occur if your administrator has configured your computer to use Windows Server Update Services (WSUS) instead of Windows Update for servicing. Ask your administrator to enable the policy to use Windows Update instead of WSUS.

Japanese Dating Sim
Nov 12, 2003

hehe
Lipstick Apathy

TWBalls posted:

Did you do the part where it says no internet connection? It's built into Windows, so I'm not sure why it wants a connection to begin with, you just need to enable it. I'm quite certain I've done it before without the system being connected to any network/internet connection.

Being completely honest, in this case no I didn't.

I messed with this same issue on a different machine about a month ago and at the time I did use the DISM command unsuccessfully. The user ended up not needing the .Net framework after all so it never did get resolved, so that very well could have been on me.

Sorry for being a little snarky! Didn't mean it.

And yeah, we just install from images so I'd have to mount an .iso or something to try, but it's worth trying regardless.

Japanese Dating Sim
Nov 12, 2003

hehe
Lipstick Apathy

soy posted:

hahaha your companies are still using sharepoint/anything made by microsoft

2007 called they want their garbage software back

http://forums.somethingawful.com/forumdisplay.php?forumid=219

Japanese Dating Sim
Nov 12, 2003

hehe
Lipstick Apathy

sfwarlock posted:

He also printed out a Server 2012 screenshot, open to the server manager, and labelled it "Modern. Discoverable. Simple."
I refuse to believe that this is a real person. He sounds more like a unicorn. A retarded unicorn, but a mythical creature nonetheless.

Japanese Dating Sim
Nov 12, 2003

hehe
Lipstick Apathy

sfwarlock posted:

One of the higher techs came in and found his laptop - which had been running Linux - reinstalled with Windows 8. I hear thirdhand that in the ensuing polite, genteel, and quiet conversation, it was mentioned to him that: it was not 'his' laptop, but the company's; any data lost should have been backed up anyway, because hard drives fail; and if we had any procedures which were cobbled together using "non industry-standard tools", we needed to discard those and use the "industry standard".

Something along the lines of if he sees a car mechanic using a stick and a heavy rock to change a tire, he's going to hand said mechanic a tire iron instead, and if the mechanic doesn't know how to use the standard tool, then he's an incompetent mechanic.

The tech then mentioned that perhaps he wasn't the incompetent person in the room, to which he was invited to depart the premises immediately and permanently.

This is amazing. :allears:

Japanese Dating Sim
Nov 12, 2003

hehe
Lipstick Apathy
All this blizzard talk - http://www.weather.com/weather/today/l/USTX0327:1:US :toot:

Japanese Dating Sim
Nov 12, 2003

hehe
Lipstick Apathy

Dick Trauma posted:

I had my interview this morning with that confrontational HR VP and it went really well. In person she was friendly and asked good questions. The company is lacking for systems and instead of hypotheticals she asked me about what I could see implementing for her (HR department of one) as well as accounting. Toward the end of the interview she said "I like you, and I want you to meet the CFO and managing director as well." Those will be scheduled separately.

I was prepared for it to be as ugly as that phone call but it went as well as possible. Everything she told me about the company tech environment issues got the wheels in my head turning as it's all stuff I've dealt with before in one way or another. At one point she said "I don't want to try and fool you into thinking everything runs perfectly here" and I said "If you told me everything ran perfectly I'd want to work here to see what you're doing. If you said you had problems I'd want to work here to fix them."

Also I got to wear my new suit for the first time and I think I looked good. For an I.T. guy. :cool:

Thank you all for being so supportive. I'll keep you updated.

Nice, very well done dude. They'd be dumb not to hire you.

Japanese Dating Sim
Nov 12, 2003

hehe
Lipstick Apathy
Lengthy, awkward silences - when they are not my doing - are always hilarious to me.

Japanese Dating Sim
Nov 12, 2003

hehe
Lipstick Apathy
To: Entire building of 300+ people
Subject: stuff

Subject: Re: stuff

Subject: Re: Re: stuff

Subject: Re: Re: Re: stuff

I'm actually setting up a rule for this specific email's subject line to go directly into my trash. :eng99:

Japanese Dating Sim
Nov 12, 2003

hehe
Lipstick Apathy

Dick Trauma posted:

After almost a full month of phone and in-person interviews and last-minute reference madness the HR VP just called to offer me the job I've been chasing. She wound up insisting on talking to my old CEO and I decided to go with it, contacting him first to prep him. She says he gave me a fantastic, detailed recommendation which helps balance out the stupid bullshit his company put me through.

I start Monday. Sr. Vice President of I.T. with my first six-figure salary, a large increase over my last position. Better late than never! I will put what I've learned at the last job into play here. Now my plan is to try and educate myself on the things that could help keep me at this level for the next part of my career, like project management. At 48 (even a young-looking 48) I have to make sure what I offer is in keeping with what employers expect of someone of my age and experience.

Thank you all for listening to literally years worth of employment drama. I can't tell you how many times it's helped keep me on an even keel, and it's partially responsible for how quickly I bounced back from my flame-out at the last place. I feel much better positioned to deal with this next job due to all the advice I've received.

Congratulations dude, that's awesome. You're totally fulfilling my "gently caress THIS JOB" fantasies by getting a much better job after quitting (I actually do love my current one though), and you deserve it.

Fingers crossed that this one has that perfect balance of staying interesting but not stressing you out every day. The pay's definitely right!

Edit: Are you still working on your Net+? Heh.

Japanese Dating Sim fucked around with this message at 20:14 on Feb 26, 2015

Japanese Dating Sim
Nov 12, 2003

hehe
Lipstick Apathy
Trying to deploy a new HP Envy 15-k118nr (with Beats Audio :whatup: ) with our standard Windows 8.1 image.

I get that this is obviously supposed to be a consumer laptop and was not aimed at business use (and I have no idea why it was purchased) but holy poo poo, is it that hard to put drivers in a pack for IT people? They already do it for a lot of their models here... and then the individual drivers that they have download as executables that install themselves instead of just giving me package that I can extract the .inf files from. :argh:

Japanese Dating Sim
Nov 12, 2003

hehe
Lipstick Apathy
Yeah I'm not really following what's unreasonable about your boss's reaction, sorry. You (maybe I'm misunderstanding) placed an unlabeled laptop on his desk and didn't tell anyone about it?

Japanese Dating Sim
Nov 12, 2003

hehe
Lipstick Apathy

Coredump posted:

My thing is that my boss and the person who sent the student worker apparently already had a conversation going about this laptop that I wasn't included in on. So should I be getting reprimanded for not creating a ticket for a machine that I have no idea if a ticket exists already or if it really needs a ticket? He's telling me I should leave him a note on what he needs to do with a machine I leave him in his office. I didn't have this information, the person who dropped off the laptop didn't have this information, but he did already. No doubt I hosed up not getting a note on the machine, but I don't think that little slip warrants all that.

But hey if I'm reading into weird then I'm willing to accept that too.

quote:

To: Boss
Subject: Laptop tag # on your desk
Body: <student> dropped off <employee's> laptop for you and I wanted to make sure you saw it. <student> didn't know what should be done with it but seemed to think that you would. Let me know if you need me to do anything on it.

Attach post-it with employee's name to said laptop, and promptly forget about it.

Japanese Dating Sim
Nov 12, 2003

hehe
Lipstick Apathy

seadweller posted:

If you are going to image it with the same OS version why not just get to the desktop of the preinstalled OS and run doubleDriver on it? Create a structured folder of all the drivers which you can then use to add to your image or at least quickly get the missing devices installed.

Edit for link:

http://www.boozet.org/dd.htm

Too late now, but I'd never heard of that. That's a pretty nifty utility that I'll remember in the future. Thanks!

Japanese Dating Sim
Nov 12, 2003

hehe
Lipstick Apathy
SH/Coffee Chat (I'm not complaining! :v: )

Japanese Dating Sim
Nov 12, 2003

hehe
Lipstick Apathy
I work somewhere that has no real "production" and I have only seen the word "needful" used once. :smug:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Japanese Dating Sim
Nov 12, 2003

hehe
Lipstick Apathy
Remember it's a stupid FW: FW: FW: level personality exam and promptly forget about it.