Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Alctel
Jan 16, 2004

I love snails

autodiscover stopped working in exchange, someone removed all the user rights on the root of our main file share of 1tb and the helpdesk is having a really REALLY dumb slapfight between themselves in the IT lync channel

yaaaaaaaaaaaaaaay, its times like this I wish i kept a stash of meth in my drawer

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Alctel
Jan 16, 2004

I love snails

Helushune posted:

Over the weekend there were 65mph winds which knocked out the power for 24 hours in most of the county where I live/work. It took six hours to get our aging NetApp FAS 3020c back up and running (it was refusing to even talk over the console) which basically just reaffirms that we need to replace this thing.

Things pissing me off today: Came in and was promptly informed that the finance server was down. OK, no problem, the virtual machine probably just didn't come back up from the power outage over the weekend. I fired up Hyper-V manager and someone had deleted the finance virtual machine from the host. Thankfully, all of our virtual machines are backed up by several machines running DPM so this should be simple but I'm getting a strong sense of deja vu. :tinfoil:

Yeah, someone is loving with your environment in a big way

switch auditing on EVERYTHING time

TheFuglyStik posted:

I started at a conservation non-profit this year, which is great on most days. I say most, because I've been drafted as the impromptu IT guy. Most problems run the range from kindergarten problems like power supply failures to restarting a router. I pull something from the spare parts bin at work or home, or unplug something for ten seconds. Problem solved, and they look at me like I'm a wizard, despite only a bit of work in real IT in the past.

I recently ran into a problem with a bit of legacy software that requires Windows 2000. The computer was already on it's last knee, and they had it placed in a desk compartment that allowed no airflow. Their first idea was to build a new machine and install 2000. I had to shoot that down because of driver issues. Meanwhile, the machine kept crashing on an hourly basis, and it was mission-critical.

I finally got hold of a Windows 2000 machine through an auction batch at the local Sheriff's department. Throw in an extra 256MB of RAM for good measure, and install the software. The thing runs like a dream after tossing a few 120mm fans in to pull air into that compartment.

It recently started having problems with overheating, and only during lunchtime. I finally gathered that it only happened on days certain employees were present. I finally caught on to what was happening one day when the machine was emanating the distinct aroma of Dinty Moore beef stew.

Come to find out, a few folks were microwaving their lunch, then placing the food in the case so the fans could cool it off. Thus raising the temperatures to the point that the system would reboot.

I never thought I'd have to draft a memo reading "DO NOT cool your lunch inside PC towers. Thanks."

holy poo poo

Alctel
Jan 16, 2004

I love snails

We just had to stop the company-wide roll out of forcing corporate branded standard signatures via exchange 2010 (instead of having individual ones) because it doesn't support postnominals and all the engineers are mad that they won't be able to put letters after their name in their signature

i'm rolling my eyes so loving hard right now

Alctel fucked around with this message at 22:50 on Nov 25, 2013

Alctel
Jan 16, 2004

I love snails

We use Sophos as well and it's pretty good.

Alctel
Jan 16, 2004

I love snails

I'm pretty sure working with no compensation is illegal as well

Alctel
Jan 16, 2004

I love snails

Bootstraps

Alctel
Jan 16, 2004

I love snails

We just moved to 2008R2 from 2003. Baby steps.

Alctel
Jan 16, 2004

I love snails

The best thing about working in IT is not having to worry about wearing business stuff to the office

I feel really sorry for you people who have to dress up

Alctel
Jan 16, 2004

I love snails

TKovacs2 posted:

Pissing me off:

Backup Exec 2012. Every single thing about it.

The quality of my life has actually eroded in the two weeks it's been (attempting to) work.

Backup Exec is the goddamn worst

Alctel
Jan 16, 2004

I love snails

I've been trying to get an evaluation license from RSA for FOUR WEEKS at this point, between 5 different sales reps

Alctel
Jan 16, 2004

I love snails

dogstile posted:

Also, desk time is rigid as hell, if they see me with my phone on the desk they tell me to put it away and if i'm a minute or two late signing onto the phones then they actually dock it off my annual leave, meaning that yes, I had 7 hours 58 minutes worth of leave I could take and they expected me to come in for the two minutes. I wasn't allowed a full day off. This poo poo is depressing. I like the people here, but the boss and the rooms manager are just stressful as hell.

holy poo poo

Alctel
Jan 16, 2004

I love snails

Haha Backupexec is so poo poo MY GOD

we are finally phasing it out FINALLY

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Alctel
Jan 16, 2004

I love snails

dennyk posted:

I'm starting to get a little tired of weekend work. Already this year I've worked 17 hours straight Saturday through Sunday morning on a server move, spent another weekend patching servers, and another full weekend on "NOC" duty (which means staring at our monitoring system for 15 hours a day). And next weekend we have a dusk-till-dawn scheduled maintenance outage for all our systems, then a couple weeks after that I'm watching monitors 9AM-midnight Saturday and Sunday and also patching servers from like 3AM till probably 7AM Sunday morning. Not to mention all the random phone calls and the minor work that happens pretty much every single weekend. And since we don't get comp time (and no OT of course), all of this is on top of our normal 40-45 hours a week. Last year I worked almost 2500 hours total (we have to track our time even though we don't get paid for it). I'm afraid I'm going to start burning out eventually. :(

errr isn't it illegal to work extra time that is unpaid