Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

Why is Windows so utterly poo poo? Set up a backup using the tools built into Windows 7 to backup onto an external drive (permanently attached to a desktop), tell it to use the whole disk and delete old backups when the disk is full.

Works wonderfully, until the disk fills up when it starts popping up balloons about low disk space. Why doesn't telling the backup to use the entire disk and remove old backups when it's full disable these?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

cozpop.exe deployed via GPO to run on startup

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

Also all the answers are wrong and people get very angry over minutiae.

So like the internet generally.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

So not only are they awful at writing software (specifically installers), they also appear to be unable to keep a website secure. Nice going Adobe.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

Bob Morales posted:

Synology DiskStation
It appears you have more than one problem.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

What do you use? CrashPlan PROe is decent enough, but I'm 99% sure that you don't have any money.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

Bob Morales posted:

I told my boss "So just buy another $35 dock. We're eventually going to need to store more than 1.5TB on each drive anyway..."

WELL WHAT USE WILL OUR LEFTOVER 1.5TB DRIVES BE THEN? WE CANT JUST WASTE THEM

I really do have to worry about people who block progress being made on a particular issue because it will render an old piece of hardware that costs very little and has already achieved what it was purchased for obsolete. I had to work for someone like that and it was a nightmare.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

"I have no idea how to use Excel to do my job, what the gently caress is wrong with the IT team"

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

It was tongue-in-cheek, but some people fail to draw a mental line between the scope of work being to ensure that you are provided with functional tools with which to perform your job, and training in how to do it.

And yeah, it is the ones that think "MS Office" counts as a skill worthy of appearing on a résumé.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

Syano posted:

Its even easier than that. Right click and choose print defaults. No group policy or scripting necessary

If you're really flash you can make two print queues with different defaults. Did this to make two different queues based on whether you're printing onto label stock vs plain paper. People thought I was a goddam wizard.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

Also condolences for having to run a print server on Server 2003.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

I had an internal group that had a software package that we were responsible for keeping an SQL server online for, and they had paid for support but didn't have a clue how to use the client software.

My manager was flat out insisting that we should learn it, write a set of instructions, and then offer to teach them it. It didn't really go anywhere because that was the point that I walked out the room.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

Sirotan posted:

We're planning on rolling out Office 2013 company-wide, so I went to install it on my computer to begin to familiarize myself.

And then I uninstalled it because our Exchange server is 2003 which doesn't work with Outlook 2013. :suicide:

:suspense:

Awaiting the tales of a hurried Exchange migration.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

It's not as bad as "well that's how I've always done it, and I've been doing this x years".

You're right - why bother trying to keep up with your industry when you can just keep doing things the way you were taught all those years ago?

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

Every time I try to use Office on my Mac it wants to update, and then the updater doesn't quit and eats CPU until I force quit it.

It's like they made it bad on purpose.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

I wouldn't expect to get one any other way than paying before the order is placed, if you take a list of names and then place an order you'll be chasing people for money that is never going to arrive.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

Yes. I struggled to convince someone that files still needed somewhere to go, and CPU and RAM capacity had to exist, that virtualising didn't just magic resources out of the air.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

nitrogen posted:

Things pissing me off? Support mgr yelling at me for performing a change that was scheduled. He is demanding I get written up for some reason. My boss cannot stop laughing at least.

I can't get my head around this at all. I can understand someone being irritated with something that you did, I can understand them wanting assurances that it won't happen again, but to insist on that assurance being something documented by HR just seems so loving petty and doesn't address the original issue at all, except perhaps making them feel better.

Is this person that guy who would continually grass people up at school or what?

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

EAT THE EGGS RICOLA posted:

Today, I'm mad that I can't just apply for a job with a cover letter email linking to my CV on my personal domain.

Or at least everyone seems to think that I'm super weird for wanting to do so.

LinkedIn's application process is loving awesome. Attach cover letter PDF, click Apply.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

To be fair to him he thought to ask before imaging the machine whether there was data saved on it or not. Experience will tell you that nobody who ever said all their data was saved to a network location actually means that, but you can't discipline someone for acting on incorrect information from someone who was the loving manager of that department.

I agree with everything Misogynist has said, your employer has a lot more problems than this guy.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

I've always called that a figure-8

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

Pissing me off currently are technical phone interviews. Not being able to get any visual feedback from the interviewer as to whether you are headed down the right path or not is massively off-putting. Hopefully everyone was as poo poo as me so the playing field is levelled a bit.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

Sudden Infant Def Syndrome posted:

high cost . . . Google Apps.

:psyduck:

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

I'm more amazed that an organisation large enough to have such a high migration cost would be able to function on a basic hosting-provided email service. Which sounds like it's POP based.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

I'm praying for you that the agreed upon solution isn't to have some sort of hybrid system where you have hosted Exchange accounts for like 30 people and then it passes anything else through to the free Google Apps and you have to implement some horrible hacks to sync directories.

Edit: I would hit Google up to see if they can help you with the sell as well, since it's in their interest.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

The amount of people who I've had to deal with that think because they don't specifically see an invoice coming in for it means something is free is mind boggling. It doesn't matter if it takes up 2 days of someone's time each week which severely delays other projects or impacts the ability for anything proactive to be done, it's free.

Edit: Of course as soon as someone important buys an iPad then the emergency rushed unplanned Exchange migration has to happen.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

Currently pissing me off is Google Apps and the Outlook sync tool. It was always a bit flaky but a necessary evil for people who wanted to use Outlook (meaning most staff who have learned by rote how to use it), and as long as you didn't push the boundaries too far with the size of the mail cached locally it was OK.

Then along comes Office 2013 which overwhelmingly seems to be delivered as a click-to-run app (unless you're a VL customer, at which point why would you be on Google Apps), and the sync app doesn't play ball with it at all. Google pretty much have a "won't fix" attitude to it, and if you use some convoluted workaround then you end up with the chance of emails addressed using Outlook's autocomplete appearing to send as normal but not actually going anywhere.

It's like 2010 was the peak of interoperability between these large services and since then all the effort has gone into making it as difficult as possible for people who don't fully buy into one system.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

Agreed with the above - why is the end client's willingness to pay linked to your overtime? You don't get paid more if sales manage to get more money for certain contracts, so why should you suffer when the opposite happens?

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

evol262 posted:

I know VMware is your schtick. And everyone loves VDI. But every so often I want to take that hammer away from you or introduce you to a screwdriver.

I don't do any Windows stuff these days, though. Is there some way in which VDI would have prevented them from getting hit with Cryptolocker again with idiotic group policy?

I'm guessing because you can enforce policies on your virtual desktops in a way that you can't if you have a bunch of poo poo laptops with users running as admin connected directly to file shares.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

evol262 posted:

Dilbert asking about GP implies that it's a domain environment (possibly roaming profiles on the laptops), and the file shares should be enforcing granular permissions with only domain users allowed to connect. If you end up with a "policies in virtual desktops" policy, it does nothing to protect badly configured shares

What I got from his post was that they have a bunch of BYOD laptops that aren't on the domain and hence don't have the software restriction policies applied. Just someone's personal laptop connecting to a share that they have permissions for and then those files getting wiped out by Cryptolocker. Forcing those BYOD laptops to RDP into a virtual desktop which is locked down and not allowing the network they are on to access the file shares would have gone a long way to helping prevent the issues.

I guess we'll find out soon enough.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

Because someone read that BYOD means people can use poo poo laptops that are cheap and then stopped reading.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

Also gently caress Outlook that isn't running in cached mode. Slight network blip? Not responding.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

I had a guy who used to refer to a ticket as a 'log'. To be fair to him that was a pretty accurate description of a lot of the tickets we'd receive.

:nexus:

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

It sounds like you'd be YOTJing to repeat what you've done for your current company all over again except possibly with less support this time around. Is that just me being cynical or is there something else to it?

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

Helushune posted:

I haven't done any investigation yet but all the students can only read/write. The teachers have modify so it's possible that they deleted it and were too embarrassed to say anything. Our IT team is only 5 people and two of them work at other campuses so I guess it's possible that one of the other two had messed up somewhere.

Get auditing enabled on those shares. Even if you aren't allowed to call people on deleting stuff accidentally it at least gives you a bit of a lead in tracking down if it's some dodgy software wiping things out.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

Since you can't pull the disks out and analyse them individually you need to stop anything happening on that server that is writing to the disks. Cancel all scheduled tasks, turn off as much poo poo as possible. As for the recovery I have no idea. But if for example that box also caches Windows Updates then each minute that goes by is reducing the amount of stuff you can get back.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

Isn't that where people turn to PaaS over IaaS or just sign contracts with MSPs if they really need an on-site element?

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

Yeah but would you want to pull them off whatever projects they were doing for some dumb infrastructure problem?

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

I'm trying to get an understanding of how this would be handled myself so maybe I'm just way off the mark here, but wouldn't a contract with another company to look after that sort of stuff be better in the long run? It doesn't involve someone extra being employed, and it means your guys who don't do infrastructure day to day don't have to drop into infrastructure mode to fight fires.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

And I guess the movement towards treating email as any other service you'd buy in falls into that trend, because why the gently caress would you want to purchase and replace Exchange servers and employ someone to manage it when you can get someone else to do it for a flat fee a month.