Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Sudden Infant Def Syndrome
Oct 2, 2004

teethgrinder posted:

Internet is probably better than Australia, but worse than much of the world, including third-world.

There are at least options nowadays for resellers with effectively unlimited bandwidth, but the "big 3" (Rogers/Bell/Telus) have been loving with them every chance they get. The problem is that the big companies control the "last-mile" of infrastructure -- lines to homes -- which are supposed to be opened to third parties by federal regulation. Also one of the more popular resellers, TekSavvy, basically grew too big. They became popular through word-of-mouth at how great their service was, but even getting someone to answer your call now is an exercise in frustration. (No out-of-country call centres at least?)

I seriously lucked out recently. I live in a downtown Toronto condo and the building got fibre hooked up. Completely independent of those horrible companies, amazing speeds, unlimited bandwidth, reasonable cost. Also just an ethernet jack in the wall.

It really depends on where you live. My local cable ISP provides great speed and unlimited bandwidth. The ISP that provided just down the street (literally) was bought out by Shaw and then Rogers, and went from fantastic to crap in about 6 months.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Oct 2, 2004

My work insists on using web-based email through Webgator because of the high cost of Exchange or Google Apps.

We just switched our hosting to a VPS the other day and last night our name servers finally switched over. Thankfullly, we save the last 14 days of emails on the server. Which Outlook was for some reason very happy to download 15 copies of into each person's inbox this morning. I have ~4500 emails sitting here that I've already received before. Hurray! :suicide:

Oct 2, 2004

Arguing for going from paying approximately $500 yearly for web hosted email to ~$14200 yearly gets me absolutely nowhere.

Oct 2, 2004

Daylen Drazzi posted:

get IT to fix it since "it plugs into an electrical outlet"

I once got an urgent "something's wrong, you need to get over here right now!" call from this woman that was a little off her rocker. Getting nowhere with her on the phone I walked over to the building she worked in across the road and found out that her issue was that her battery powered desk fountain stopped working. It might have been out of batteries, I dunno. I just asked if she was serious, and then left to go on lunch.

Oct 2, 2004

Haha, we've been running our stores off of a trial version of SQL Server 2012 - and the trial just ran out.

:siren::siren::suicide::siren::siren:

Oct 2, 2004

Hahaha, SQL Server has the key embedded in the install, we can't just update our old version.

:suicide:

Also, while this is down, why not move our Apache install to the new server?

Oh look, half of the company's computers are using hardcoded HOSTs files.

:suicide::suicide::suicide::suicide::suicide::suicide:

Oct 2, 2004

New software for controlling the LED sign out front of the store... coded in Windows Media Player???

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Oct 2, 2004

What kind of emails would get two people fired if its just between them?