Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

dennyk
Jan 2, 2005

Cheese-Buyer's Remorse
My last sysadmin job I had an interesting schedule: 12-hour days, 3-on, 3-off, 4-on, 4-off (basically working Thursday-Saturday and every other Wednesday). Only downside was having to work every Saturday. The 4x12 weeks did get long sometimes, but Saturdays were usually pretty dead, so it wasn't too bad, and always getting at least three days off and four days off every other week was awesome. Shame they were paying me way too little; I got a 60% pay bump coming to my current job (which is a very similar position) and it's not like I'm being overpaid now.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dennyk
Jan 2, 2005

Cheese-Buyer's Remorse

theangryamoeba posted:

That schedule sounds suspiciously like my last sysadmin job. Was your office above a liquor store and several bars?

Centennial Tower in downtown Atlanta, so we were over a (very overpriced) bar, but no liquor stores. I'd imagine that shift is probably pretty popular at 24x7 places that run lean on staff, though, since it lets you cover a full 24x7 week with just four people using a fixed schedule. We had two night guys and two day guys in the sysadmin department on that schedule, plus a few more who worked normal M-F schedules to help cover the busier parts of the weekdays and who would get shuffled around to cover for us 3/4x12 folks when we took vacations.

Also:

Rhymenoserous posted:

Oh god gently caress iMail.

although I will say that iMail wasn't even the worst email platform I've worked with (and I've never really worked with Lotus or Exchange... :v: )

dennyk
Jan 2, 2005

Cheese-Buyer's Remorse

underlig posted:

The assholes who worked here before apparently thought "everything must be saved/stored".

Picture this except with all of the server hardware at a web hosting company and you have my last job. :v: Though, in fairness, we did at least periodically recycle the stuff that was truly nonfunctional.

When we actually did buy new hardware, it was always the cheapest possible stuff we could get away with, too. Protip: five-year-old remanufactured Seagate Cheetahs should not be used for server hard drives unless you just like listening to a chorus of RAID alarms beeping away forever.

dennyk
Jan 2, 2005

Cheese-Buyer's Remorse

Powdered Toast Man posted:

Well, thanks to friends and professional connections I am now in the running for positions at Google, HP, Lexis Nexis, SunTrust, NACR (large Avaya reseller/partner), and Peer1.

...I think I might be able to get something out of all this. :stare:

Peer1 seemed pretty cool; never worked directly for them myself but some of us sysadmins squatted in their spare cubicles for a while after my old company sold 'em our DC and all our dedicated poo poo, so I worked around their folks for a while. Several of our good admins also went over to them over the years.

They also had a beer tap in their break room. :cheers:

dennyk
Jan 2, 2005

Cheese-Buyer's Remorse

Che Delilas posted:

It's funny to me that you picked the annoying example, rather than the reverse situation that can allow a malicious user to destroy or poison your data.

HTTP request type has nothing to do with properly sanitizing your inputs to prevent injection attacks. :colbert:

CitizenKain posted:

I'm starting to think my boss is losing his mind. He mentioned on Monday that I was joining a bunch of other IT people as we convert a new location to our network next week. This is apparently an all weekend thing, and unlike everyone else, I have to drive the 8 hours to get there, while they fly. I'm not really upset about driving, its just the notice is really short for working over the weekend.

Last time I had to travel several hours for work and work all weekend, I had two hour's notice; my boss literally greeted me one Friday with "Hi, go home and pack, you leave for Miami in two hours." :psyduck: And this was at an entry-level $12/hr 0%-travel tier 1 tech support job, not a gig where you'd actually expect to have to leave town on short notice. (Didn't get paid for the travel time or per-diem or any expenses except the hotel room, either.)

dennyk
Jan 2, 2005

Cheese-Buyer's Remorse

CitizenKain posted:

I've got coworkers who spends hundreds on a new smartphone, hundreds more a year on a plan, and never use it beyond texting, calling, listening to music, and occasionally looking up something online.

This is me, pretty much, except that I also don't call or text much. But I have a cheap old Optimus and I'm only paying ~$300/yr for service, so at least I'm not like one of these suckers who buys new iPhones every year and has a $100/mo unlimited plan and still never uses their phone for anything, I guess. :v:

As for computer knowledge in general, I think us tech folks sometimes forget that figuring out how an unfamiliar and complicated device or process works and troubleshooting issues are actually skills, and like any skill, they require a bit of aptitude, a bit of talent, and a shitload of practice. We just spend so much time using those skills in the course of our jobs and hobbies that we tend to forget they aren't actually second nature to everyone.

dennyk
Jan 2, 2005

Cheese-Buyer's Remorse
If you can't say something in Fixedsys then it doesn't need to be said. :colbert:

I wish there was a way to make Outlook convert every email (sent and received) to plain text automatically. All my new emails are plain text, of course, but replies always have rich text enabled if the original message had it. My replies always end up being a mix of dark blue and black text, because for some inexplicable reason Outlook defaults to dark blue for font color and then changes the color to black when you paste plain text, and I can't be arsed to fix it.

dennyk
Jan 2, 2005

Cheese-Buyer's Remorse

Something called "Trust Center" is clearly where one would expect to find message formatting options, ayup. :v: That's awesome, though, totally doing that tomorrow.

Speaking of fonts, one thing that pisses me off is when I'm trying to read a web site that uses one of those godawful fonts that doesn't render properly unless you have that "ClearType" crap enabled:

Not all of us want our fonts to be as soft and fuzzy as our neckbeards, thank you very much. :colbert:

dennyk
Jan 2, 2005

Cheese-Buyer's Remorse

HalloKitty posted:

I changed my text in PuTTY to green because it's just more awesome :colbert:

Yellow Fixedsys is where it's at. (Also, displaying a screenful of yellow text on black makes my Dell LCD monitor emit a high-pitched whine. :v: )

dennyk
Jan 2, 2005

Cheese-Buyer's Remorse
Eh, I've been using Winamp 2.95 for ten years and will probably keep using it until it just doesn't run anymore. Never considered upgrading again after the abortion that was version 3. Besides, 2.95 will be around as long as OldVersion.com is, at least. :v:

dennyk
Jan 2, 2005

Cheese-Buyer's Remorse

I know it can be frustrating sometimes, but when you're a sysadmin for internal systems, the folks who use those systems are your customers, and you really should treat them that way. Having an antagonistic relationship with them is only going to make your job harder. Think about how "I'm not qualified to explain these logs, but your database isn't special and it's not our fault it crashed," sounds from their perspective. A better response would be to say "All right, give me some time to examine these," then look over the logs, address the entries they're concerned about, and look to see if there is any actual indication of the problem while you're at it. They aren't looking for you to write a book on how their OS works, they're looking for assurance that those unfamiliar log entries don't indicate a problem.

As for not being "qualified" to explain those logs...as a sysadmin, your job is going to involve troubleshooting software, often software that you aren't familiar with. If you don't know what something is, Google it. If you can't (or don't want to) take some failing application that you don't know and sit down and at least attempt to do some basic research and troubleshooting to figure out why it's not working, then the sysadmin field may not be the best career choice for you.

Also, the DBAs wanting to know what puppet is doing on their system is perfectly reasonable. They don't care how puppet works on a code level, they just want to know what stuff it's managing/changing/adding on their system, which should be easy to figure out and document for them.

dennyk
Jan 2, 2005

Cheese-Buyer's Remorse

Powdered Toast Man posted:

AAAGH. gently caress you for reminding me of my horrific tenure in shitbox shared web hosting support in 2003!!! :mad:

Trust me, there are much worse things in the world of mail servers than iMail. I used to work with a system that one of the many companies my place merged with built entirely in-house (with no documentation, of course); the POP3 and SMTP daemons were both Java applets running on a Solaris 8 box, all mail messages (including attachments) were stored in an Oracle database, and the webmail front end was a ColdFusion page running on a Windows 2000 server. :psyduck: As far as I know, that monstrosity is still in service today and serving paying customers.

dennyk
Jan 2, 2005

Cheese-Buyer's Remorse

skooma512 posted:

Speaking of Java. I hate how applications are so drat picky with it. It gets even worse when there are two applications and both their own specific version of java and no other ever made could possibly do.

Does it really change that much from version to version?

If your app is requiring a specific point release or something, it's probably just lovely (and it is also creating a major security risk if you can't install patches, since Java is mostly made of giant gaping security flaws held together with a little duct tape). The major releases are pretty different, but apps written for the previous Java version (and often even older versions as well) will usually work in the new one, barring certain specific incompatibilities. (Apps written for the new version generally won't run under the old one, of course.) That said, most vendors will only certify a particular major version (usually whichever one was around at the time they started writing their current codebase), so if you need vendor support, you're stuck with whatever they wrote it for. Luckily it's not too painful to run multiple versions of Java on most systems.

dennyk
Jan 2, 2005

Cheese-Buyer's Remorse

Casull posted:

I decided to try some Brother Thelonius to celebrate my YOTJ and my new USB bottle opener. Holy Christ this poo poo is strong.

Welcome to the wonderful world of Belgian ales! :3: Now go get yourself a Chimay Grande Reserve, a St. Bernardus Abt 12, or a Brouwerij Huyghe Delirium Nocturnum to celebrate some more. :toot:

On topic, I love that we give devs an account with sudo root access to their systems so they can set up their software, but I still get called at 9PM on a Friday night because they suddenly remembered they needed a bunch of directories and NFS exports set up on their test system and had apparently forgotten how to do it themselves despite pasting the exact instructions into the ticket they sent us to request it. So far it seems all they've managed to do with their own root access is to give their jboss user sudo access to run any command as root without a password. :cripes:

dennyk
Jan 2, 2005

Cheese-Buyer's Remorse

Caged posted:

Give them a quote for roughtly what it will cost in your time to figure out how to roll a poor-man's AD instead of a couple of Windows Server licenses.

Money for server licenses shows up in the balance sheet, but the unpaid overtime worked by an exempt employee to try to get (and keep) some free-as-in-beer kludge working doesn't. :pseudo:

dennyk
Jan 2, 2005

Cheese-Buyer's Remorse
One place I worked for had a group of BSDi servers named after people in the Book of Mormon. No one knew how to spell or pronounce any of 'em and several of them were derivatives of each other ("wait, was I supposed to reboot Gidgiddonah or Gidgiddoni?"). That place was fun, because they bought so many companies and consolidated so many data centers that we had sets of servers with dozens of different naming conventions all at once and most of them didn't actually reflect the physical location of the server anymore, nor did anyone really know what many of the names that actually meant something really meant anymore.

dennyk
Jan 2, 2005

Cheese-Buyer's Remorse

evol262 posted:

If you're a salaried exempt employee, it's a violation of federal labor laws to deduct pay, including making you take pto, if you worked at all that day, because the nature and structure of your job is such that it doesn't want fit into normal hours.

No partial days. No PTO for working from home. If you get called and you have to work for 15 minutes in the middle of the night, they can't (legally) make you work or threaten your pay if you don't go in. Not that I'd recommend pushing it, but I'd let them know what the law says so you don't end up in this situation again; the whole point of the classification is that they need to measure your performance and deal with expectations differently or fire you if you're not meeting theirs, not treat you like a secretary, because your job is different (off hours, at home, etc). Don't take this.

Unfortunately, Federal labor laws do not require employers to give employees any paid time off and therefore don't restrict the application of PTO policies in any way. There are a couple of states that regulate PTO in some way or another, but for the most part, companies can legally do anything they want with PTO. Charging an employee a PTO day isn't docking their pay, so it's perfectly legal; if a company chooses to charge an exempt employee a PTO day because they took a lunch break, or because they didn't come in on a Saturday, or because they worked from home, or because they wore a red tie on a Friday, they can. As long as the policies in question are enforced equally and the reason isn't "because you are a member of an EEOC protected class" then it's perfectly legal.

Also, if you are exempt, your employer can demand that you work whenever and however long they want you to and they aren't required to provide any sort of extra compensation or comp time. They can't dock your current pay unless you are absent for at least a full day, but they can do pretty much whatever else they want, including reducing your salary going forward or firing you outright, if you refuse to work a weekend or don't answer a midnight phone call.

dennyk
Jan 2, 2005

Cheese-Buyer's Remorse

luminalflux posted:

Some people just don't get complexity. We had one script that would do
code:
for ($region in @regions) {
  @lines = `cat $file | grep $region  | cut -f1`
}
on a 5G file over NFS over iSCSI. while(<FILE>) was apparently hard.

I write horrible poo poo like that, but only when I'm banging out a quick script in thirty seconds to do some one-off task and the input in question is a list of a couple hundred entries, not gigs of data. :cripes:

dennyk
Jan 2, 2005

Cheese-Buyer's Remorse

pixaal posted:

I'd seriously try talking to someone or "making up" the half day and work a half day on a Friday of your choice.

Maybe do this if your manager is cool with requests like that, but in general, if you're salary and your company isn't in the habit of jerking you around with using vacation days or otherwise trying to screw you over, then complaining about something like the office closing early on a day you had vacation just seems kind of petty. Looking at it from the other side, how would you like it if your boss told you "well, since our entire department had to put in four hours of emergency OT on that day you took vacation last week, we're going to have to charge you an extra half a vacation day..."?

dennyk
Jan 2, 2005

Cheese-Buyer's Remorse
The dress code at my last job was pretty much "don't be naked." I think we did have some sort of written dress code at some point, but since the corporate office was in another state, no one cared as long as you weren't literally coming to work in nothing but your underwear or something. I usually wore a henley and jeans every day, and it was awesome.

Sadly, my current company is old-school and grudgingly has a "business casual" dress code for the non-managers in the IT office. The corporate HQ building is pretty much suit-and-tie only; I don't even think they like it when we IT slobs wander into there in our khakis and polos to reboot servers in the data center, but they like their applications being down even less, so they manage to restrain themselves from actually throwing us out. :v: They only just started a "casual Friday" in IT where they allow jeans (but not sneakers or shirts without collars). Before that, you could occasionally buy jeans days with donations to the United Way (which I never did because I don't care for the United Way and don't really care that much about wearing jeans).

I get by barely skirting the dress code with Carhartt polos, Dockers, and some New Balance Dunhams that technically count as dress shoes but are basically black leather sneakers (and comfortable as hell). Hell if I'm going to ever wear a tie to work. I think I wore one to my interview, but I don't even remember where it is now. :v:

dennyk
Jan 2, 2005

Cheese-Buyer's Remorse
My current place doesn't track sick days (or vacations, actually; they leave that up to the managers). I've only been here a year and a half, though, so I've only had to call in sick for one day so far. Actually, I'm getting over being sick right now, but it was just a pathetic little head cold, so I just worked from home for a couple days to avoid passing it to my coworkers.

Either the other teams in my building frown on taking any sick time at all, though, or everyone is trying to be the guy who never ever calls in sick or works from home, because half the building is constantly hacking, sneezing, or coughing up various internal organs for most of the year.

dennyk
Jan 2, 2005

Cheese-Buyer's Remorse
One of our business units has just now decided that the maintenance window we arranged for their quarterly server patches (which overlapped with some other systems that also needed overnight maintenance windows) won't work for them this quarter, so now after working day and night all next weekend patching other servers and doing some big server moves, I'm going to have to get up at 3AM on a work night the next week and spend a few hours rebooting their stuff (and then go into work for a full day afterwards, of course, since after-hours and weekend work is in addition to your normal work hours around here... :sigh: ).

dennyk
Jan 2, 2005

Cheese-Buyer's Remorse
Man, we had a fun one today. Someone hooked a workstation up to our network whose hostname was set to "localhost" and it automatically registered itself in our Infoblox system as "localhost.companyname.net" on our internal domain, which all of our servers have as a DNS search domain. We have a bunch of AIX servers which default to using DNS before the hosts file (because AIX), so they all suddenly started resolving the hostname "localhost" as one of our DHCP workstation IPs. Luckily it didn't appear to break anything except a bunch of monitoring checks that used that hostname for a command, though (and it's lucky it broke those, otherwise I wouldn't have seen any alerts and we might never have known about it until something actually did go horribly wrong). Our DNS guy nuked the offending entry and add a bogus "localhost" host to Infoblox with a null MAC so nothing else can register as that hostname again.

Of course my RHEL boxes didn't care because they're all configured properly and use the hosts file first. :smugbert:

dennyk fucked around with this message at 02:55 on Jan 25, 2014

dennyk
Jan 2, 2005

Cheese-Buyer's Remorse

nitrogen posted:

Do you guys mean making a host, eg. hoobastank.contoso.com A 127.0.0.1
or doing something like localhost.contoso.com A 10.1.2.3.4

The latter is pretty weird, and probably very broken, but the former is common depending on what you're trying to do.

Yep, it was the latter. Workstations on our network are auto-registered in our DNS system (as computername.companyname.net) when they get a DHCP lease. Someone managed to DHCP up with a system whose name was set to "localhost", which resulted in a DNS entry "localhost.companyname.net" pointing to their DHCP IP (some 10.x.x.x address).

Edit: The only thing worse than a 17-hour work day is a 17-hour work "day" that lasts from noon Saturday till 5AM Sunday. With no comp time. :(

dennyk fucked around with this message at 09:45 on Jan 26, 2014

dennyk
Jan 2, 2005

Cheese-Buyer's Remorse

Humphreys posted:

I see the hours some people put in to their job like dennyk - is there any fatigue management rules/guidelines/laws where you are from?

Only if you are in a handful of federally-regulated fields where being too tired can kill innocent bystanders, like driving trucks or flying commercial aircraft. Otherwise, you work however long your company wants you to work. And if you're an employee and you're exempt from overtime laws, then you don't even have to be paid anything above your base salary for the extra time. 95% of the folks in this thread who are employees (as opposed to contractors) are almost certainly exempt; the overtime exemption level for salaried employees in "professional" fields (which includes basically all of IT) is less then $24k USD per year (a salary level which, if you're the sole breadwinner in a family of four, literally puts you at the poverty line in the US).

dennyk
Jan 2, 2005

Cheese-Buyer's Remorse

nitrogen posted:

Have you introduced yourself to the manager of that group, or other peers over there?
Have you let yur current manager know that that's where you want to be?

It seems simplistic, and if I sound like a jerk, I apologize, but those two steps are stuff you should do if you havn't yet.
Either manager should tell you what they'd need to see to have you take a spot in that dept. Ask 'em.

Definitely do this. My tier 1 tech support MSP job (a web hosting company in the old days before "MSP" was really a thing) was how I went from barely knowing how to log into a Unix system and change directories to essentially being a junior sysadmin in all but title within a couple years. If you show the ability and desire to learn new stuff and you aren't a complete fuckup, they'll probably be happy to work with you on moving up to a higher team. And if for some strange reason they don't want to work with you, then don't waste any more time with them; go find yourself a position somewhere else with room to grow. There are plenty of other good companies with good people out there, so don't get yourself stuck in a rut just because your current place is familiar and comfortable and a new job is unknown and scary. After several months in a new job, it'll be just as familiar and comfortable as your current one.

Also, don't stress out about screwing up in a new job with more responsibilities; it'll happen eventually no matter how careful you are. If you aren't breaking something now and then in your IT career, it means you're not really doing your job. Just make sure you don't get careless and start making stupid mistakes, and when things do go wrong, make sure that you own up to any issues that were your fault and fix them instead of trying to shift blame or hide them, know (and document) what went wrong and how to avoid it in the future, and don't make the same mistake twice.

dennyk
Jan 2, 2005

Cheese-Buyer's Remorse
That ain't old, son. When your company hosts paying customer accounts and critical internal systems today on servers (and OSes) that were manufactured when years still began with "19", then you're allowed to bitch about old hardware. Hell, your fancy new stuff there probably even has USB ports and everything. :colbert:

dennyk
Jan 2, 2005

Cheese-Buyer's Remorse
Was on a conference call with one of our network admins and a network hardware vendor support guy today, just to provide some details from the server end about a problem we were having. Not being a network guy, I'd literally never touched one of the network devices in question before and knew nothing about the user interface, so it kind of worries me that fifteen minutes into the call I was having to tell the vendor support guy how to run configuration commands on it. :ohdear:

dennyk
Jan 2, 2005

Cheese-Buyer's Remorse

Sweevo posted:

40MB PDF "manuals" that consist of:

1 cover page containing a huge image scanned at 600dpi
2 pages of legal bullshit in 3pt font
1 blank page to make the next section start on an odd numbered page (it's not a loving real book nobody cares!)
3 contents pages listing every single diagram, table, and sub-sub-sub-subsection
1 blank page to make the next section start on an odd numbered page
4 pages of marketing waffle about the company and their ISO 9001 certification
4 pages of contact information and how to obtain sales brochures
3 pages of static electricity warnings in 15 different languages
1 blank page to make the next section start on an odd numbered page
3 pages of actual content
2 blank pages marked "Notes:"
2 pages describing how and where to buy the product
3 page index

We had a vendor provide us a quote for a build once and it was literally a 90 page PDF that had 87 pages of marketing bullshit followed by 3 pages containing the actual quote. :argh:

dennyk
Jan 2, 2005

Cheese-Buyer's Remorse

Volmarias posted:

"This month, 87 tickets were opened against storage, and only 3 were valid. On average, time spent resolving tickets where storage was not at fault took 15 minutes. We have spent 21 man hours diagnosing other teams issues, which is $Xxxx in unnecessary lost opportunity costs, to say nothing of morale issues."

"In looking at your team's timesheets, I do not see an additional 21 hours of work on top of your normal hours, so clearly this is incorrect. Also, I do not know what this 'morale' thing is or why it is having issues, but you need to stop working on it and manage your time better. Also, my Youtube is slow, please fix the SAN immediately.

Thanks,

Management"

dennyk
Jan 2, 2005

Cheese-Buyer's Remorse

topenga posted:

My boyfriend will do this. He claims that I know how to Google better than he does. And I think it's true. I watched him search for stuff once. He does it...wrong. He's either way too specific or he uses the wrong words or something. Error in whatever game he's playing? He will swear he searched for an hour and can't find anything. I do one quick "battlefield crashes to desktop" (Because holy poo poo, that's what's happening. How can you not just type that?) and BAM a bazillion hits and a solution.

I think we IT geeks sometimes forget that troubleshooting an issue and being able to break it down into keywords that will yield relevant search results, not to mention being able to glance through those results and quickly identify which are going to be useful and which are worthless, is a skill, and like any skill it requires a little aptitude and a lot of practice. If our careers and/or hobbies didn't require us to google unfamiliar stuff on a regular basis, we'd all probably be flailing around searching for "my cpu doesnt work halp" and clicking on all the spam and expertsexchange links too.

dennyk
Jan 2, 2005

Cheese-Buyer's Remorse
Access permissions are easy: every time a user tries to open Access, break all of their fingers. Eventually, none of your users will be able to double-click the Access icon and then your database will be working properly. (Also, you will be in prison, which is a far better situation than being the "DBA" of an Access database.)

dennyk
Jan 2, 2005

Cheese-Buyer's Remorse
I'm starting to get a little tired of weekend work. Already this year I've worked 17 hours straight Saturday through Sunday morning on a server move, spent another weekend patching servers, and another full weekend on "NOC" duty (which means staring at our monitoring system for 15 hours a day). And next weekend we have a dusk-till-dawn scheduled maintenance outage for all our systems, then a couple weeks after that I'm watching monitors 9AM-midnight Saturday and Sunday and also patching servers from like 3AM till probably 7AM Sunday morning. Not to mention all the random phone calls and the minor work that happens pretty much every single weekend. And since we don't get comp time (and no OT of course), all of this is on top of our normal 40-45 hours a week. Last year I worked almost 2500 hours total (we have to track our time even though we don't get paid for it). I'm afraid I'm going to start burning out eventually. :(

dennyk
Jan 2, 2005

Cheese-Buyer's Remorse

Alereon posted:

Note that IT workers are specifically not overtime-exempt and must be paid overtime under federal law, though you may need to fight your company in court to argue that you are not a "computer professional" (system analyst or programmer) to collect. The bright line is that if you engage in break-fix work you must be paid overtime.

Help-desk and some junior IT positions might not be exempt, depending on what the person's exact duties are, but almost all senior sysadmins fall under the FLSA administrative exemption.

dennyk
Jan 2, 2005

Cheese-Buyer's Remorse
You can tell us folks who grew up in Florida in the 80s because we all have burn scars shaped like the logos of various automakers from where we were foolish enough to touch the metal seat belt buckles in our moms' cars. :v: If you grew up there and are used to the heat and humidity, it's not bad, but if not, you're probably going to be miserable eight or nine months a year for a while (and the other three months of the year, everyone you meet will think you're insane because it's like 57 degrees out and you aren't wearing a heavy jacket).

The downside of growing up there is that I'm so acclimated to Florida weather that even after having lived in Atlanta for nine years, the winters here are still loving miserably cold and my nose still cracks and bleeds constantly when the humidity drops below 40%. :argh:

Moey posted:

Are there Linux shops that actually run GUIs?

A lot of the older RHEL servers at my place have Gnome desktops installed, but I don't think anyone actually used them; they were just too lazy to deselect them or remove them from whatever kickstart or template they used to build 'em. None of the systems I've built have a GUI, though. We do still have to install xauth on the Oracle servers so our DBAs can run the Oracle installer via X11 forwarding, but that's because Oracle installers are terrible. I can't imagine how you'd call yourself a Linux admin if you never use the command line (or how you'd not want to start smashing things in frustration after a while; I used to have to administer Windows 2000/2003 servers as well and the lack of a useful CLI toolset regularly drove me insane).

dennyk
Jan 2, 2005

Cheese-Buyer's Remorse

scroogle nmaps posted:

The breadth of knowledge required in modern IT pretty much guarantees that you're going to have significant knowledge gaps somewhere. I can't tell you jack poo poo about anything below the network layer beyond "switches/ethernet/802.11x/CatX/FC/etc. is voodoo magic operated by gremlins.

A good admin doesn't have to know everything, but they should at least be able to figure stuff out given some time and Internet access. Hell, I don't know much about networking beyond how to configure a server so its packets go to the right places and don't all disappear up its own rear end in a top hat, but I've helped our networking team troubleshoot issues several times. I was on a conference call with a network hardware vendor once while we were working on a particularly annoying issue, and fifteen minutes into the call I was having to frantically google up manuals so I could tell the vendor support guy the right command syntax to run on the network device whose interface I'd never laid eyes on before that call. (I also ended up finding the workaround for the issue we were having in the end, so the vendor support kinda struck out entirely that time... :v: )

dennyk
Jan 2, 2005

Cheese-Buyer's Remorse

frogbert posted:

Realtalk here Lum: Your stuff is constantly breaking, are you sure you're not cursed?

My brother and my mom are the same way; any electronic device they own will usually have serious issues or up and die within months, maybe a year. Meanwhile, my stuff pretty much lasts until it becomes completely obsolete, or until the volatile bits like batteries finally wear out and it's not worth the cost of replacing them.

dennyk
Jan 2, 2005

Cheese-Buyer's Remorse

NullPtr4Lunch posted:

Half of the cubicles at my office have dead plugs because of this which resulted in even more daisy-chained power strips. If your loving legs are that cold dress appropriately for work. :argh:

When cold people don't get their space heaters, the next step is usually bitching at and/or bribing facilities until the office thermostat is set to 80 degrees year round, so be careful what you wish for... :v:

dennyk
Jan 2, 2005

Cheese-Buyer's Remorse

wintermuteCF posted:

Separate incident:
3. Helpdesk analysts with horrible language skills, for example: "heared" instead of "heard", "explination" instead of "explanation", along with mutilated sentence construction (to the point of being difficult to follow). This is the sort of poo poo I expect a high-school graduate to possess.

Oh god, at my last job we had a tier 1 tech who I think was actually functionally illiterate. Half the words he used were misspelled despite the fact that he never used any words over six letters long, and he literally couldn't string together a proper sentence. On a good day, he'd submit tickets that were somewhat legible but uselessly vague like "cu sais it dosnt work but it shud pls," but sometimes he would get inspired to be more verbose and would submit tickets that were just utterly incomprehensible word salad, like "cu it cliks and does works in the blue pls and no isnt ther an then it gos now to cant". I felt kind of sorry for the guy, but honestly, if your sole job duty is "write down what the customer on the phone is saying" and you're not actually capable of writing things down, you should probably reconsider your choice of careers.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dennyk
Jan 2, 2005

Cheese-Buyer's Remorse

Sprechensiesexy posted:

This is how it is where I work as well, help desk takes the call and if they need to go over to someones desk they do that as well, there is no seperate team for that.

Our "Service Desk" is the first and last point of contact for all desktop PC support and the first point of contact for literally all other IT issues in the company (everything from "Hey, this application has a bug" to "Holy gently caress the data center is literally on fire"). Those guys are ridiculously busy, but they somehow manage to stay on top of things, and aside from the occasional misdirected ticket (which is understandable given their volume and the fact that we literally have dozens of separate IT groups and subgroups and even we don't always know who's responsible for what), they do a really good job.