Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Johnny Aztec
Jan 30, 2005

by Hand Knit
That Pentium CPU is worth a fair bit,due to the gold content in it. Around 20 dollars according to :http://www.ozcopper.com/computer-cpu-gold-yields/

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Johnny Aztec
Jan 30, 2005

by Hand Knit

HalloKitty posted:

Hm, so I thought I'd check ebay. If you look up Pentium Pro, sure enough, they're flagged as being for gold recovery. Oh well, people know.

Yeaaaah, you aren't likely going to find any deals on ebay. However, I always keep my eye out for ancient PCs at yard sales/flea markets, but they are usually Slot P2s, if I find anything that old at all.

And there was a post here, or in the other thread about trying to get hard drive magnets, and some place threw out a ton of hard drive chassis. Those things are aluminum and while not as pricy as gold, is still valuable. I have a heatsink out of an old G4 print server that is a solid two pounds.

Johnny Aztec
Jan 30, 2005

by Hand Knit

SEKCobra posted:

Im not in korea and I wouldnt have to pay anything back, but I wouldnt get any of my certs that they are paying for/organizing. Its a metric shitton which is the only reason I keep up with this poo poo. Also I still like my job when I get to actually do it anymore these days.

You need a hat with a camera in it, and just record everything. Next time douche boss is all " I just don't see any of this", you can open palm slap a tape in and let the truth be revealed, in a tasteful montage.

Johnny Aztec
Jan 30, 2005

by Hand Knit
I could probably make a decent living just following this dude around.

Johnny Aztec
Jan 30, 2005

by Hand Knit
With DickTraumas, and blackswordca (and that other dude who stopped posting a few years ago) stories, I find it hard to believe that ya'll jumped all over Cobra like that.
I don't see you getting in on Blackswordca " Maybe the problem is YOU, buddy. Maybe you should just TALK to your boss, GOSH."

Bravo on escaping, Blackswordca. Rah Rah!"

Johnny Aztec
Jan 30, 2005

by Hand Knit
Didn't someone have some pictures/stories of finding working switches and/or servers drywalled in between walls? Or a room got drywalled over, still containing working equipment.

Johnny Aztec
Jan 30, 2005

by Hand Knit
YOU'LL PRY WINRAR FROM MY COLD, DEAD HANDS!

Johnny Aztec
Jan 30, 2005

by Hand Knit
Burn it. Burn it allllllll. Make them suffer for their crimes.

Johnny Aztec
Jan 30, 2005

by Hand Knit
DnF, you went a little too far. Now, I know you're just a gimmick troll.
Cosplay at work? Anime? Little too much.

Johnny Aztec
Jan 30, 2005

by Hand Knit

ratbert90 posted:

poo poo happens, I wouldn't fire somebody over a honest mistake either.

The second time though, yeah, I would fire him instantly.

How do you saw through the buildings water main by mistake?

Johnny Aztec
Jan 30, 2005

by Hand Knit

Agrikk posted:

HR always gets the final say because typically they hold the last paycheck until all boxes are checked.

I had one gig tell me I had to drop my laptop off at the office a 90 minute drive away. When I arrived to drop it off the receptionist said, "just leave it with me."

Because I knew how hosed up this company was I took a picture of the serial number on the laptop, the laptop sitting on the receptionists desk, the receptionist, the receptionists ID badge, the receptionists business card and the newspaper rack sitting out front.

Sure enough, HR said they never received my laptop and threatened legal action, withholding of pay, etc. every time they emailed I sent them all six photos and demanded my money.

gently caress Infosys forever. gently caress them hard forever.

Pretty sure it's came up in this thread before that they can't withhold your paycheck.
Like, incredibly illegal for them to.

Johnny Aztec
Jan 30, 2005

by Hand Knit

MC Fruit Stripe posted:

I don't even understand what they're saying - their product helps people with Cryptolocker, but since there's other attacks now too, they're packing it in?

Translation: They got paid off by the Russian Mob.

Johnny Aztec
Jan 30, 2005

by Hand Knit

Wrath of the Bitch King posted:

With an SSD and a UEFI/Fast Boot enabled chipset reboots aren't much of a thought anymore.

Who reboots anymore unless they have to? I go weeks/months without rebooting.

*checks uptime*
Yep, 25 days since last reboot.

Johnny Aztec
Jan 30, 2005

by Hand Knit

BaseballPCHiker posted:

Was he just freaking out because he couldnt keep PCs, monitors, and peripherals straight as they moved or was it part of some greater existential crisis?

The phrase he used " have everything perfect" seems to imply the dude probably has major issues of some sort.

Johnny Aztec
Jan 30, 2005

by Hand Knit

ConfusedUs posted:

gently caress you. I've been waiting on you. I can't make you do anything. I've reminded you three goddamned times in the last five business days. You knew about this! We talked about this! WHY THE gently caress IS YOUR LACK OF RESPONSIBILITY MY GODDAMNED PROBLEM?

I unno man. Did you tell him this or just meekly accept the bollocking?

Have some spine. You saw how much good it did Larch.

Johnny Aztec
Jan 30, 2005

by Hand Knit

ConfusedUs posted:

Yeah, we've talked about it. He always just doubles down on the bullshit. I had to go to a goddamned C-level a year ago or so to get something overturned in one of my quarterly reviews, because he would not update it.

I think he literally believes what he's saying.

Yeah, sorry. I know. I follow the thread. I was mostly being a bit tounge-in-cheek.

also loving love your A/V

Johnny Aztec
Jan 30, 2005

by Hand Knit
Hopefully he got (re)booted.

Johnny Aztec
Jan 30, 2005

by Hand Knit
I thought of this thread today. I was reminded of all the talk that has been in this thread(and the ticket thread) over keeping legacy systems alive, and how much industrial machinery are still running on 486-era systems.

What reminded me of this? I picked up a box with 15 Western Digital Caviar 280s. 85.3 MEGABTYE drives. There are some sold auctions on ebay for 50 bucks on these. Guess I'm spending my weekend running CHKDSK on these things!
(also several 286/386/486 boards/cpus/ram and expansion cards)

Johnny Aztec
Jan 30, 2005

by Hand Knit

Jerk McJerkface posted:

I stick to my guns. My manager is great and always has my back. The PM is a cool guy too, so it's all good. I'm 100% onboard to hello my coworkers male money but I'm was too busy to help someone that won't even meet me halfway and treat me like a human being.

It's probably not a good idea to "hello your coworker's male money". It never ends well. Not to say you cant Hello some Male Money outside of work though!:getin:

Johnny Aztec
Jan 30, 2005

by Hand Knit

Arsten posted:

Then you are hanging around people with overly expensive cars. The average joe buys a car in the 20-30k USD range. If you get a 6% loan (middle of the road credit) on $30,000 over 5 years, that's only $580 or 590 a month.

For $1,000 a month, you're looking at about $55,000 USD. That's solidly in the luxury car.

(Unless people are talking about all of the ownership costs, e.g. fuel, maintenance, insurance, etc)

Then you are hanging around people with overly expensive cars. The average joe probably spends less than 5K per vehicle off craigslists.

Johnny Aztec
Jan 30, 2005

by Hand Knit

BOOTY-ADE posted:

Not to mention, anyone who doesn't want to attend or isn't able to is stuck doing support for clients of the people who DO go to the outing. So even if we wanted our own little office grill party or whatever, we'd be constantly interrupted by people calling us while everyone else is out. Just sucks that they gently caress over a bunch of people because rather than be inclusive, it's "play or you can't go" and no compromise. Not the first time it's happened but my resume has already been updated and posted online, because this whole place has turned 180 from what it used to be even a year ago.

It would have been amusing if people picked up beat up dirt cheap set of clubs at some pawn shop, and pretty much went Caddyshack on the green.

Johnny Aztec
Jan 30, 2005

by Hand Knit

ptier posted:

:stare:

I'm just imagining a factory full of bearded dudes telling the new HR lady wat-for!

For pretty much all of July,in Arkansas, the heat index has been well over 100 degrees.
105,110. Think it hit 112 one day?

Johnny Aztec fucked around with this message at 17:18 on Jul 26, 2016

Johnny Aztec
Jan 30, 2005

by Hand Knit
The company WoW guild?

Johnny Aztec
Jan 30, 2005

by Hand Knit

ChickenOfTomorrow posted:

did you know that bar codes actually work on the empty spaces not the black stripes???

I did not. That is very interesting. Please, tell us more.

Johnny Aztec
Jan 30, 2005

by Hand Knit

DigitalMocking posted:

I love my company, its growing, has a great culture, but holy poo poo are their salary policies stuck 15 years ago.

The greatest trick Satancorporations ever did, was convince you he didn't existthat you'd get that raise if you just " wait a little longer".

Johnny Aztec
Jan 30, 2005

by Hand Knit

mewse posted:

The batteries bulge when they get really old, you will have to force it out or replace the whole unit

Spray it down liberally with some PB Blaster

Johnny Aztec
Jan 30, 2005

by Hand Knit

Jerk McJerkface posted:

He said "No, I'm not. I just walked in, let me get settled and have my coffee. Listen, JMJF, I know you are new and want to impress everyone, but you don't need to scramble everytime a client calls with a critical problem. Just chill out. Mark (the manager) talks a lot, but you don't have to kill yourself answering calls.

It's kind of funny that you are making GBS threads on him for this, when people in this thread have said the exact same things (albeit not when there are legit critical problems happening)

Johnny Aztec
Jan 30, 2005

by Hand Knit

Virigoth posted:

I'm not sure what the gently caress you are talking about here and it's pissing me off because I'm now invested.

His co-worker talked him into making an office meme that OP thought was remaining internal, and the co-worker posted it to reddit.

Johnny Aztec
Jan 30, 2005

by Hand Knit

skooma512 posted:

More poo poo that pisses on you: Nearly Naked Nuns

Fresh from Germany!

Johnny Aztec
Jan 30, 2005

by Hand Knit
I did have a yahoo and Hotmail accounts, but on both of them, I either forgot my password or something, and Yahoos password recovery thing is all hosed up. Not like I used the accounts anymore, so I just let it go.

Johnny Aztec
Jan 30, 2005

by Hand Knit
Throttle his rear end back to Dialup days.

Johnny Aztec
Jan 30, 2005

by Hand Knit
I'd rather spend 10 minutes with a dremel than spend 260 bucks for a faceplate.

Johnny Aztec
Jan 30, 2005

by Hand Knit

stevewm posted:

It's not just Windows 10... Since they eliminated most of the QA staff there hasn't been a single month without a update loving something up in a semi-major way.

We were burned several times by it to the point I now wait several weeks before approving updates to install unless it's some huge security issue. And now with the switch to all-in-one updates I won't even be able to do that anymore.

Wait, they fired most of their QA staff right as they move to " you have no choice about updating" system?
Are they just TRYING to push people away from desktops?

Johnny Aztec
Jan 30, 2005

by Hand Knit

codo27 posted:

Has anyone. ever. Ever. Ever? Been able to recover a hotmail/live/outlook email address using their automated form? Or in any other way? A sad number of users out there have no loving idea what their passwords are and are absolutely hosed if they need to sign in on a new device. In my case, my friends facebook password was changed somehow maliciously and his hotmail account is associated with the account. Hasn't logged in to the thing in god knows how long, doesn't remember at all what a password might be. This is his fault. However, by entering in all his personal info on the forgot password form, we should be able to get it back. Nope. I have never once, not once had success with this form, I suspect mainly because due to inactivity/stupidity they never know what to enter in for recent emails sent. But all their personal info is A-OK but that doesn't account for very much apparently.

So I contact chat support. And for a while it seems like they would have given me the reset password link for almost any email I asked for, I even said I was helping a friend and it wasn't my account. But they just send me the link for the same old form you get anyway. I contact them again, they give me a different form that I think will do the trick. Nope, they email me back with the exact same email as the first time. I contact them again, they ask when it was accessed last. I dunno over a year, "oh your account is deleted, you agreed to this in TOS. inactivity for 365 days=deletion to make space for other accounts". Okay, thats pretty cool, then why didn't it show up the first time you looked up the account that it was deleted? Why can I still try to login but get told the password is wrong?

I look up the head office number, start going through their loving automated voice activated poo poo box, I say need help with "password". "Okay, password" says the robot. Call drops. Twice in a row. I dont get headaches but my head is literally hurting at this point

I've tried all I can with facebook, even contacted the better business bureau because their automated recovery is also useless and it wont let me do anything by any other method than sending a reset link to this doomed email address. But all that did was have them write me back with again, copy and paste links and jargon until after a few messages they finally said "we will not respond to further messages".

So yeah obviously all of us are set up with two step authentication and poo poo but for the average person, you are loving hosed son if you forget your password and dont know the exact email addresses and the entirety of the messages you sent last month, along with any associated IP and MAC addresses of the destination devices along with detailed info of what the receiver ate for lunch that day.

Best thing to do, would be to start bitching up a storm on social media. Companies don't/wn't do poo poo until it starts hitting twitter.

Johnny Aztec
Jan 30, 2005

by Hand Knit
Wowee, saved yourself 3 clicks. THE FUTURE IS NOW, PEOPLE

Johnny Aztec
Jan 30, 2005

by Hand Knit

Woogles posted:

Officially lost my cool and shot out a message / rant to some project staff stating:

- Don't expect me to magically know poo poo, I'm a sysadmin first and a project engineer a veeery distant second, I don't attend your scrums etc.
- gently caress off, I'm not updating documentation for something I haven't even done yet because the client took weeks to do what should've taken half an hour and I was told NOT to modify the system in question

Also shot an email out to HR saying:

- WTF, you can't hire an IT junior despite me being on my own for a year but you can hire a totally unnecessary office admin?
- Get your poo poo in order and make some changes or I'll make some of my own

I expect fun times.

So, any updates on this?

Johnny Aztec
Jan 30, 2005

by Hand Knit

Woogles posted:

Yes indeed!

Full disclosure: I'm coming off certain mood stabilising meds and one of the fun side effects is extreme "irritability", which is what made me send that email in the first place.

I'm going to stop writing now because I could go on and on and on. If anyone wants me to, I'll write it up another time.

tl;dr: IT is crashing and burning but I don't care because I'm out.

I feel for you, I've been in that same situation (top line)

(Bottom line) There must always be a Midilene/Dick Trauma/Larches

Johnny Aztec
Jan 30, 2005

by Hand Knit
AND THUS BEGAN THE SAGA OF ~WOOGLES~

Johnny Aztec
Jan 30, 2005

by Hand Knit

Jerk McJerkface posted:

After work I was hanging out with them, and they took me by a McDonalds and snapped a pic of me in front of it and put it on Instagram with a caption like "THE AMERICAN IS SAD HE CAN'T HAVE MCDONALDS".

Italians are assholes. Big surprise, there.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Johnny Aztec
Jan 30, 2005

by Hand Knit

MANime in the sheets posted:

We got a ticket from some asshat VP of ~*EQUITY RESEARCH*~ saying that his desk chair had broken, he found a replacement in an empty office, but he needed someone to come up and take the broken one away.

Bear in mind that we are an MSP many states away from his office in Boston. He knows this.

It'd be great to send him a bill covering the cost of flying someone out there just to remove a chair.