Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Irritated Goat
Mar 12, 2005

This post is pathetic.
Reading 2 threads worth of IT peoples and I've come to the conclusion, I am a gigantic door mat. I've got relevant certs but I've been on the Tier 1 Helpdesk for almost 4 years. It's an MSP so I'm not getting much experience working in a normal enviroment. Problem is, I like the company and the people. I'm just not going anywhere. :sigh: If I move on, I'm worried I'll not have the hands on experience I need and screw up. Hi to you anxiety :(

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Irritated Goat
Mar 12, 2005

This post is pathetic.

Sickening posted:

This is the first time I have ever heard of someone saying they are having a hard time touching things at a MSP. Have you tried asking to learn new stuff at your current gig?

As helpdesk, I just get to answer the most basic calls like password resets. Due to circumstances, another group handles normal Tier 1 stuff like break\fix. I'm trying to get on that for more of what I'm used to but can't guarantee anything.

Daylen Drazzi posted:

I quite liked a number of the places I worked and got along fine with the people. The work was easy and I was well-liked and very much appreciated. But once I decided I had learned all I could and realized I wasn't going to get a raise I decided to move on for something more challenging.

The anxiety is perfectly natural, and quite frankly I find it reassuring because you won't go into a situation brimming with over-confidence and royally screw something up. It's when you no longer feel anxious about something that you need to start worrying. I'm surprised that the vast majority of competent (and I like to think I'm included in those exalted ranks) CJs and System & Network Administrators aren't on a cocktail of anti-anxiety meds.

Take the plunge and put yourself out there - your checkbook and brain will thank you later. Your best bet is to plan on where you want to be, then work to make it happen. I started out in 2006 on Helldesk and did that for 30 months, then moved to another job 650 miles away and did CJ/Desktop Support for another 30 months for 2 different companies. Did helldesk for another 6 months after that (but for 45% more pay), before finally jumping into my current job as a Systems Administrator/Server Farm Technician for the last 10 1/2 months. It's starting to feel like old hat, so I spoke to my PM yesterday about moving to the Virtualization team.

I'm going to figure out where I want to be first and then push for it. I'm leaning towards specializing in storage since it's something I enjoy.

Irritated Goat
Mar 12, 2005

This post is pathetic.
Slightly off topic but lack of "competition" for Calendar and Contacts on the internet. If I want to keep a calendar I can sync to my phone\pc\tablet, I'm pretty stuck with Google Calendar. This wouldn't be an issue except Google turned off support for ActiveSync and so I have to jump through hoops to get any of this synced to my tablet. I could always give up my Gmail account I've had for years and go to Outlook.com but who wants to give up an e-mail address they've had and where everyone expects mail to come from? :sigh: Large corporate slap fights are the worst thing for the public

Irritated Goat
Mar 12, 2005

This post is pathetic.

MisterOblivious posted:

You can't figure out why a drive that's physically warped and broken is having problems reading a disc. For some reason that's Apple's fault?

Does it have a small hole where you can shove a paperclip to force the disk out? No? Bad design. Yes? President Ark's bad. Somewhere, somehow, one of these things is bad. Maybe even both.

Note: I had the same problem on a disk that wasn't warped on an iMac. It blew rear end.

Irritated Goat
Mar 12, 2005

This post is pathetic.
gently caress Other Departments. (TM) :tizzy:

I page you. You respond. This is how this works. It isn't loving rocket science. I give you 20 minutes before I call your stupid rear end. You know you're on call. I've been on call so I know how much it blows. I don't need to babysit some loving ticket because you don't answer. :sigh:

Let's also touch on the wonderful direction. If X happens, page A. If Y happens, page B. Ok, what if it's a draw between X and Y? gently caress it, I'll just guess cause lord knows I'll get kickback from the team I guess on for not sending it to the other one.

Sometimes I like MSP cause I get to work with different people but some clients make me want to eat a bullet.

Oh, before I forget, gently caress overly complicated e-mail signatures. Yes, I can copy and paste it. This doesn't stop it from being damned irritating.

Irritated Goat
Mar 12, 2005

This post is pathetic.

Bob Morales posted:

We have a company policy that emails can't go out with the 'standard' signature.

We don't have a policy like that. Just that we have to use the standard signature instead of any other. It has just become more complicated over the years. Now we have clickable links and social buttons. :(

Irritated Goat
Mar 12, 2005

This post is pathetic.

Ynglaur posted:

Why are you copy/pasting? I can't think of an email client that doesn't have auto-signature. Lotus Notes doesn't, perhaps?

myron cope posted:

Was this for me? I use Outlook's signature thing to pick between 4 sigs (with the one I use 95% of the time set as the default). I probably could just have two though.

If it was for me, I meant copy\paste into my signature file. It's still damned annoying though.

Irritated Goat
Mar 12, 2005

This post is pathetic.
Things pissing me off today all the time

I work for an MSP. We have 2 large clients among many others for Tier 2 work. Company A is heavy amounts of tickets but we were doing ok. We get Company B and start drowning in tickets because we weren't told the truth on number of tickets per day they expected. We get told to save\focus on Company B. Company A suffers and gets angry. We get told to save both and there isn't enough people. Solution? Hire a PM to see what's wrong with our flow for Company A. :sigh:

What's pissing me off is just being screwed by sales and unrealistic expectations with a staff already facing manpower issues.

Irritated Goat
Mar 12, 2005

This post is pathetic.
Citrix environments. Well, just 1. A hospital runs about 90% off this poo poo and only allows 1 session but fails to realize when a session is logged out. We get calls 24/7 on THIS issue. Software company is like :shrug:

Meanwhile, I'm getting fussed at with no fix in sight. :(

Irritated Goat
Mar 12, 2005

This post is pathetic.

John Kruk posted:

You can change a timeout setting to allow disconnects to close rather than hang waiting for a reconnect.

If you manage this infrastructure PM me Monday and I will take a peek at the exact setting. We have ours set to 60 seconds and it works fine. We still have an occasional errant session that still thinks that it is active when it isn't but it is very rare now.

http://support.citrix.com/article/CTX127318

Not sure which version you are using but check that.

To expand a bit, when you have an environment that allows only one session, if your gateway wants to send the user to a different application server than the one they disconnected from, it gives a concurrent connection error if there is still a disconnected session in the pool. You set a timeout to kill those disconnected sessions to avoid the problem.

Sadly, I don't have any control over it. We're just their 1st tier helpdesk. Yay for being an MSP!

Irritated Goat
Mar 12, 2005

This post is pathetic.
Holy loving god, how hard is it to remember you submitted a ticket? You have a site that tells you what tickets you have open! If I tell you it's for 1 thing, don't ask if it's for another thing. :rant:

:) Hi I'm calling about <issue a>
:v: Is this about <issue b>?
:) No, <issue a>
:v: I don't think we put a ticket in for that
:) I'm looking at it?
:v: Oh, yeah. I guess we did.

Irritated Goat
Mar 12, 2005

This post is pathetic.
I just need to vent. I'm sorry.

Within the last 6 days, my company has laid off people for the first time. To compensate, I was put back on Tier 1 duties. To make matters worse, the clients I support need a site-to-site VPN so only 1 subnet works. I'm not on that subnet. The solution? Send an IM if we need anything. Today, the newest solution is to remote into a PC on the subnet so I can remote into the remote server to do my job. We're a loving IT company and we can't get our own site to site VPN fixed in a week.

I won't even go into the fact I've been on helpdesk for like 4 years and despite being told I would move up, I never do. I used to love this company but in a short 3 months, I've completely lost all faith in them.

I know I'll get told to :yotj: but when I have 0 idea what I want to do, I'd just be moving into another helpdesk :sigh:

Irritated Goat
Mar 12, 2005

This post is pathetic.
poo poo pissing me off today:

OneNote. gently caress it. OneNote wants a password to sync a notebook? Click the bar. Nothing happens. Fix is to wipe credentials out of manager and put back in. Which ones? It won't tell me. Guess I won't contribute to the departmental knowledge base. :shrug:

Things not pissing me off:

I think I'm working Mon-Fri now! No more weekends with the client I don't like! I actually get a day off work that I can spend with my wife!

Irritated Goat
Mar 12, 2005

This post is pathetic.
Things pissing me off: People who can't pick up the drat phone and call me themselves so I get to do the "What's your name? What's the issue" dance TWICE. Person ALSO giving me a shortened version of their name when they have a common as hell last name and names are listed in the system by given name, not nicknames. These people call almost every god drat day. This isn't a new procedure. These employees call helpdesk like it's some new and scary thing when it hasn't changed in the 3 years we've had them as a client. I have to drag information out of them for something as simple as first name, last name and issue. Don't deal with healthcare IT kids. It might actually shorten your lifespan.

Things not pissing me off: I finished my CCENT training :D Going to schedule my 1st attempt for next month :D

Irritated Goat
Mar 12, 2005

This post is pathetic.

MrMoo posted:

Conversely it is pretty lovely that you don't add common names to your database, the system should adapt to the people not the other way around.

Also, so many organizations use VoIP integrated apps these days, you should be able to automatically pull up all the issues and people associated with the phone number calling.

That's difficult as it's a hospital and different users use different PCs\phones during the day.

Now, common names if it's what you go by is fine but when you go by Joe and your last name is Smith and there's like 10 Joe Smith entries, that's where giving your given name becomes necessary.

Irritated Goat
Mar 12, 2005

This post is pathetic.
Pissing me off: Other people

Why yes mr sales guy, IM me about an issue. I don't have my status set to "e-mail helpdesk@company.com for assistance with issues" or anything. Twice.

Hi Mr infrastructure guy who makes probably double what I make. Did you know GPOs can conflict? YOU DIDN'T? :o: What do you mean the client is mad cause you tried to fix an issue they told you not to touch because it'd cost them more? :negative: The guy is the epitome of "gently caress it, Do It Live"

Irritated Goat
Mar 12, 2005

This post is pathetic.
Pissing me off:

I work for an MSP.

In the last few months:

We finally said we were going to treat ourselves like we do our clients. Previous admin team who is constantly booked with client work retains control and doesn't bother responding when I put in a change request to help clean up our systems.

We show work by ticket time\utilization. Today I've had a grand total of 3 tickets taking less than 10 minutes each. Anxiety of worrying i'll be fired is now permanent.

Previously a Infrastructure Engineer, now I'm Service Desk Tier 2. :sigh: I worked 5 years to get out of Tier 1.

Speaking of that, Tier 1 is short handed so we're taking some of their calls for call transfers, password resets and general junk that I think I deserve not to deal with after 5 years of proving myself.

Not pissing me off:

My family is closing on their 1st house (3bd\2bath) in August and the mortgage is only $40 higher than what I pay in rent for an apartment (2bd\1 1/2 bath).

Sorry for venting but holy poo poo, I'm just losing all faith in this company :(

Irritated Goat
Mar 12, 2005

This post is pathetic.

pixaal posted:

Staying 5 years in T1 and "working up" is usually a poor option unless you are in an area where IT jobs aren't common. No company sees you as proving yourself, it just doesn't happen. How do you read these threads and no just apply to other jobs for better stuff? Go apply for a system administrator job you have 5 years in field. Unless you are one of the people that likes helpdesk, then apply for helpdesk someplace else and make more.

I won't get into lots of e\n junk here but having a steady paycheck was\is necessary. I love the people and what the place does for its employees but practices are just :sigh:

Irritated Goat
Mar 12, 2005

This post is pathetic.
:phoneb: Hi Vendor, I'd like to buy some headsets please.
:v: You need a Plantronics license to buy them. Do these steps

:psyduck:

I want to give you money. Why am I jumping through hoops for this bullshit?

Irritated Goat
Mar 12, 2005

This post is pathetic.

Zamboni Apocalypse posted:

<click>
:phoneb: Hello New Vendor, I'd like to buy some headsets please.

We just got some non-Plantronics ones. Problem solved.

nielsm posted:

Plantronics? Those we use have nice physical design and cool features, but the failure rate is way too high. I'm not the one managing them, but it seems like at least a quarter if not half of the 20 or so headsets we got a year ago have had to be replaced. The failures are also showstoppers like being unable to connect to base, dropping calls, and being unable to accept calls. Also sensor failures causing them to mute and unmute at random.
(We're using the Voyager Focus UC, no idea how their other models fare.)

We've had some real good luck with them. Usually ours lose the little foam padding before any issue with the actual headset. :shrug:

Irritated Goat
Mar 12, 2005

This post is pathetic.
Things pissing me off:

Our SPF record is hosed. We asked our Infrastructure team to fix it with links on how and why as proof.

:clint: No, our senior technician looked at it and says it's fine.

:stare: No, you daft motherfucker. It isn't fine. Every check shows it's broken. Your "senior technician" didn't do poo poo if he said that's fine. We'll just keep getting flagged as spam and making people whitelist us I guess.

Irritated Goat
Mar 12, 2005

This post is pathetic.

Lord Dudeguy posted:

Did you hit him with ye olde MX Toolbox for some solid 3rd party validation of the misconfiguration?

Bob Morales posted:

Is he checking the right one? Include the proof that it's failing and send it back

We included the proof before he said the senior technician looked at it. We could fix it in like 5 minutes but they only want that department to do those kinds of things so :shrug:

Irritated Goat
Mar 12, 2005

This post is pathetic.

RFC2324 posted:

Oh, you totally include your boss and theirs in your reply with the solution spelled out, as well as attaching proof they are wrong.

The best part of going up the chain is his boss is the owner of the company. By contacting the owner, I'm actually bypassing my own chain because this place is weird. Either way, short of a miracle, I doubt it'll be fixed.

I had to stealth fix the Guest wireless because it wasn't giving out IP addresses to iPhones. Pointed it out for a bit and nothing till I just up and did it.

Irritated Goat
Mar 12, 2005

This post is pathetic.
poo poo that pisses me off:

We have 2 people with my name in the department. Our names are spelled differently. Company does an internal survey each year for each department. 1 name gets called out in good responses repeatedly but is it me or the other guy? :confused:

Some toolbag called our department "poorly trained and incompetent". I'd like to see them handle like 40+ applications, each with particular issues and configurations, hardware, branch offices all over the state. It's probably some jerk in like 1 easy department I could probably do with 2 weeks training when I'm still finding out about applications this place uses almost 4 months later.

:sigh:

poo poo that isn't pissing me off:

I get to see Guardians of the Galaxy 2 next week :shrug:

Irritated Goat
Mar 12, 2005

This post is pathetic.
poo poo pissing me off:

IE 11 breaking on all of our intranet sites...randomly. :sigh: Of course, they don't work in loving Chrome so I get to google and try every fix under the sun for an issue that might not even be fixable.

Of course, my test laptop works perfectly to boot.

Irritated Goat
Mar 12, 2005

This post is pathetic.

Bob Morales posted:

That's the ticket someone put in yesterday

We get that occasionally. If it's a non-intranet site, Chrome is fine. Intranet sites are busted as gently caress on the other hand. I've got C levels breathing down my neck cause they can't run reports and junk without a ton of hassle. :sigh:

Irritated Goat
Mar 12, 2005

This post is pathetic.

milk milk lemonade posted:

What's running your intranet?

Oh god. I just noticed that some 3rd party site kind of like Wix wrote it. :sigh: I'll bet it's cobbled together and isn't worth crap on newer versions.

It's something with IE though because MS Report Manager doesn't work right against these issues either.

I've tried adding the domain to intranet sites, lowering security modes, resetting IE settings, recreating the user's profile. Nothing.

Irritated Goat
Mar 12, 2005

This post is pathetic.
Things pissing me off: People sending in multiple tickets for 1 issue only minutes apart.

:sigh: I hate users. I'm still in the process of getting this place working like a more efficient department so every e-mail makes a ticket. Some jackasses can't understand the concept of having other people in the queue before them.

I'm also rolling out our Mobile Device Management poo poo. So many people don't know their god drat Apple ID\password.

Irritated Goat
Mar 12, 2005

This post is pathetic.
Things pissing me off:

Asset management. :sigh: It's a god drat nightmare here and I've wrangled it to a better state. The problem is everything is just so drat unorganized in our Inventory. Our ticket system will "audit" PCs that answer but just randomly fail out because :shrug:

Speaking of ticket system.. TrackIT! What in the loving christ are Work Orders and Assignments? gently caress you. Incident and Request. It isn't that god drat hard. :argh:

Irritated Goat
Mar 12, 2005

This post is pathetic.

Aunt Beth posted:

We use TrackIT! here. Work Orders and assignments are one of the parts I don't have a problem with. It's nice when someone puts in a request that's just "XYZ is starting Tuesday" then you can split their request into assignments for the desktop team, account creation, telecom, etc. most ticketing systems have some sort of linking feature where you can create child tickets or something, don't they?

I've tried merging tickets and it just flat out doesn't work. We're also on 11.2 and not 11.4 SP1 so :shrug:

Work Orders just prevent the seperation of Request and Incident without making differenty Priorities that say Incident Severity 1-5 and Request. I'm picky about things.

Years of MSP life will do it to you.

Irritated Goat
Mar 12, 2005

This post is pathetic.
Petty poo poo that pisses me off:

Don't bother to include the god drat driver in a package. Make me install your poo poo tier software. I'm a simple gently caress and can't IT. :argh:

gently caress you Canon.

Irritated Goat
Mar 12, 2005

This post is pathetic.

I grow increasingly frustrated with my job. We have ports in offices that just aren't hooked up. We have hidden SSIDs on all of our wireless and all of them are guest wireless so devices like laptops\tablets have to VPN in to get work done. No documentation on mission critical things like Application A talking to Application B. No imaging solution. Jank rear end VPN solution using RSA apps. No real-time chat for the small IT department that has a 99% remote worker. DNS issues out the rear end. Replication issues. That's really just the beginning.

I'd drink but I don't cause I can't afford it cause my health benefits are $800\mo.

Shoot me now.

Irritated Goat
Mar 12, 2005

This post is pathetic.

Judge Schnoopy posted:

Sounds like you have some proposals to write. If your proposals get shelved, ignored, or denied (assuming they're sound ideas following best practices and don't create downtime), that's great interview material when a new company asks why you're looking for a job.

There were some minor issues at my last job, i wrote up proposals on what I would do to fix them because I had nothing else to do. Even a minor GPO change was tabled for three weeks, then shelved because the duct tape solution was working fine. I put my two weeks notice in at exactly one year.

Thanks Ants posted:

Why can't you fix any of that?

Right now, I'm just helpdesk basically. I'm one the admin trusts to make GPOs and such but most of my verbal proposals have gotten hand waved away so far. :sigh: I just want to make the drat place better. poo poo, I've already put more into documentation of things than it seems they ever have.

It's just terribly frustrating when your last 7 years were MSP "helpdesk" in varying forms and despite being surrounded by people in IT, simple concepts like rotating passwords and having real-time group communication were struggles.

I guess I'll start writing and worst case, I won't be surprised when everything gets tabled.

Irritated Goat
Mar 12, 2005

This post is pathetic.
Remember all that bitching I did earlier? Yeah, I forgot to mention, the C levels are scared of the :smithcloud:

Being in financial means ":supaburn: Security!" but it seems the research side of figuring out what's actually secure just doesn't happen.

On prem Exchange 2010 and Home\Small Business copies of Office 2010 are fine cause well, you know, our stuff is secure :sigh:

I apparently need to learn how to write proposals instead of e-mails\verbal discussions of "holy poo poo guys, this is incredibly outdated and, most likely, insecure"

We also have File Storage I'm literally moving files off of to my work machine because it's run out of space cause people have 10.2GB of god drat music on there. :sigh:

Just kill me now. I haven't slept properly in around a week, not to mention Sleep Apnea as it is. I'm gonna crawl in a hole and die.

Irritated Goat
Mar 12, 2005

This post is pathetic.

Peachfart posted:

.... Delete the music. Unless it is a C level person putting it on there, in which case 'accidently' delete the music.
Edit: Then again, it is only 10 GB, maybe add some extra space?

It's a C Level. I already told my boss and the IT Director. They said they'll work on it. I even included a screenshot of the usage from Photos and Music on the drive since another one has 1.2GB of Vacation photos.

My boss has been saying we need more space but hasn't been able to make someone cough up the money. :shrug:

I could probably go on and on about this place. I like being in normal non-MSP IT for a change but holy gently caress, it needs some modernization\better practices.

Irritated Goat
Mar 12, 2005

This post is pathetic.

sfwarlock posted:

The new things I learned today from Marvin Graystache:

- In terms of image quality, VGA = DVI = Displayport = HDMI. It doesn't matter what you pick, as long as the computer(/docking station) and monitor both have the right port.

Kinda late but I do this. :( Mostly because my eyes can't tell the difference rather than ignorance. I KNOW HDMI\DisplayPort > DVI > VGA but hosed if I can tell you how.

Things kinda pissing me off:

Branch office had a power outage. No alert triggered and no remote way of powering the server back on. :sigh: My company is kinda cheap when it comes to nice stuff like that.

Learning MDT. Holy poo poo, can this thing be any more obtuse? I'm about to settle for handwriting scripts for the things I want to do rather than learn MDT. :stare:

Irritated Goat
Mar 12, 2005

This post is pathetic.

Thanks Ants posted:

If you have a remote office with no IT staff and you don't have out-of-band management on anything then :sigh:

At least for that particular location, it's pointless as we can just shut down that server later this year for good. The others though... :sigh:

Irritated Goat
Mar 12, 2005

This post is pathetic.

Super Slash posted:

Generally depends on the monitor as some old piece of crap will be very obvious, the simple way is VGA is poorest and anything is great. VGA is a bit of a crapshoot as modern monitors can be pretty good in dealing with it at 1080p but it's pretty common to get some bluriness going on.

I'm using VGA on this 1080p monitor and it looks perfectly fine to me. :shrug:

I also can't tell when fps drops in games unless it's super obviously lower than like 15 fps.

Irritated Goat
Mar 12, 2005

This post is pathetic.

Paladine_PSoT posted:

Displayport > HDMI/DVI > VGA

HDMI is a direct pin to pin adaptation from DVI with the VGA analog pins removed and audio channels added.

Sad part is, that kind of proves how bad my eyes are. :sigh: Ah well.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Irritated Goat
Mar 12, 2005

This post is pathetic.

devmd01 posted:

You joke but Domain Users is added to local admin on every workstation via gpo at my company. Yeah.

:negative: Mine too. Not by GPO but still.