Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

tomapot
Apr 7, 2005
Suppose you're thinkin' about a plate o' shrimp. Suddenly someone'll say, like, plate, or shrimp, or plate o' shrimp out of the blue, no explanation. No point in lookin' for one, either. It's all part of a cosmic unconciousness.
Oven Wrangler
I was at a IT management seminar today at NY Interop, one of the attendees was bitching about funding at the university IT shop he ran. Fess up which one of you was it?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

tomapot
Apr 7, 2005
Suppose you're thinkin' about a plate o' shrimp. Suddenly someone'll say, like, plate, or shrimp, or plate o' shrimp out of the blue, no explanation. No point in lookin' for one, either. It's all part of a cosmic unconciousness.
Oven Wrangler

Moey posted:

Looks like someone is having a meltdown.....

http://charlottesville.craigslist.org/res/4103554487.html

drat that's great, would love know if he actually lands a job as a result. This sealed the deal for me "In a world full of Fraggles, I am a doozer."

tomapot
Apr 7, 2005
Oven Wrangler

Sickening posted:

It appears my boss has just outlawed working from home for all the admins. He decided this while he was working from home it appears. It seems he is worried about our dept image if we don't have all the staff in the office everyday.

The irony hurts.

One of the group directors I used to work for didn't even want you closing the door to your office. He didn't want to take the chance the VP might walk down the hall and think his people were out.

tomapot
Apr 7, 2005
Oven Wrangler

Motronic posted:

Yes janitors would get this too in bad companies. Anything that is a cost center gets hammered.

IT really is on par with janitorial work to places like that: they really don't look past it being a cost center in the accounting system to realize what it actually contributes to the organization.

When our facilities department got squeezed a few years back the VP said gently caress it and cut out watering plants to save money. He lost head count, it wasn't a core function of his department so he dropped it. All the plants around the departments started dying off until either their admins took up watering them or they hired an outside firm which came out of the departmental budgets instead of his. A few years later they squeezed him again and he cut heads out of his mailroom. Want your mail?, well instead of dropping mail at everyone's desk you'll have go get it yourself at the dropbox we put at the service elevators on each floor.

So yeah, janitors are seen just like IT (or vice-versa),

tomapot
Apr 7, 2005
Oven Wrangler
Not pissing me off: one of my guys has been building a project request form / workflow / dashboard for our team. He called it Project Intake Management Platform.

tomapot fucked around with this message at 18:00 on Nov 16, 2013

tomapot
Apr 7, 2005
Oven Wrangler

Gweenz posted:

Fellow Americans, coming in to work sick is not a badge of honor. Nobody is going to steal your job if you stay home.

I know this conversation degraded a bit but I'm just going to add that since I YOTJ'd last year I only go into the office once a month to pay the lottery lady and grab lunch with some friends in the old department. After watching Contagion recently, I'm really happy about this arrangement.

tomapot
Apr 7, 2005
Oven Wrangler

Ynglaur posted:

:v: Hi, would you like to donate to the Wounded Warrior Project?
:reject: No. I don't like disabled vets.
:v: Really? Well, how about donating to the United Negro College Fund?
:reject:
:v: You know, on second thought: don't answer that. Never mind.

Reminds me of that scene from airplane, http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=qse_wf57tZM

tomapot
Apr 7, 2005
Oven Wrangler

Agrikk posted:

Yogurt talk
The Fage package pisses me off. It has that little fruit section that you fold over the yogurt section. The problem is that it never completely empties out, then you have to scrape the rest of the fruit. But your spoon is too big to get to the bottom, and I wind up feeling gipped.

tomapot
Apr 7, 2005
Oven Wrangler

Volmarias posted:

poo poo that pissed me off today: wet snow, which broke my snow shovel :(

Pissing me off: working from home full time means no days off due to weather. Having to shovel before the days starts then clearing the driveway apron again during lunch after the plows fills it back in again.

tomapot
Apr 7, 2005
Oven Wrangler

Che Delilas posted:

Shitheel just wants butts in seats, make no mistake. I can't call that mindset complete bullshit though, even if it is a little backwards and irrelevant considering the nature of IT work.

I had an old boss who didn't want our doors closed because he thought it looked bad if the CIO walked down the hall. Never mind if I was on a conference call or had heads-down work to do, or was out to lunch and didn't want my stuff to get jacked. It's all about appearances to some managers.

Edit: ^^^^^^
When I took over my current team I told them I did not want them working late or weekends unless I asked them to. No heroic efforts. The only way to show management that we need more resources it to stop falling over ourselves to produce miracles.

tomapot fucked around with this message at 19:21 on Feb 16, 2014

tomapot
Apr 7, 2005
Oven Wrangler
SharePoint patching is such a crap shoot. Was ready to settle in for a movie with my wife when my team lead texts me that the patches they installed aren't being recognized by SharePoint.

Not pissing me off is having MS Premier Support. We were able to get a SharePoint engineer on the phone within an hour on a Saturday night to help us resolve the issue.

tomapot
Apr 7, 2005
Oven Wrangler

<------ A few days late since I'm at a conference and just getting caught up.

Might as well share a gripe, conferences are friggin' exhausting. Especially when they are out of my time zone, I'm waking up early because I'm on easy coast time and running late every night. Finally at McCarren airport headed home but the drat slot machines are dinging and shouting out "Wheel of Fortune" every five minutes and giving me a headache.

tomapot
Apr 7, 2005
Oven Wrangler
Some days I wish IT management was more about IT and less about management. Don't think I've gotten anything done this week except for finance accrual stuff, meetings and management. Very little IT stuff.

tomapot
Apr 7, 2005
Oven Wrangler

Agrikk posted:

my last day is Friday and I'm wrapping up stuff, not starting new projects.

Happy last day of work, assuming you are taking down the office.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RZf21dODzzQ

tomapot
Apr 7, 2005
Oven Wrangler
Signatures: A few years ago our corporate branding VP wanted to standardize and automate everyone's signature. They looked into using AD and Outlook but when they found out that our AD was filled with incorrect titles, department names and phone numbers they just gave up.

tomapot
Apr 7, 2005
Oven Wrangler
How hard is it to put you mic on mute when you are on a Lync conference call / demo. Dude presenting has more patience than me.

tomapot
Apr 7, 2005
Oven Wrangler

QuiteEasilyDone posted:

:stare:

What in the ever living gently caress did I just watch? Why?! Why did I watch it all the way through :gonk:

It started out normal enough, but it went downhill fast.

tomapot
Apr 7, 2005
Oven Wrangler

Sarcasmatron posted:

Ultimately, the success of a project rests firmly on my shoulders -- I manage them accordingly.

I think I'm in love, we could use a few good PMs like you.

tomapot
Apr 7, 2005
Oven Wrangler

Helushune posted:

It seems happier now that we've disabled caching in Hyper-V but it was maxing out everything that we threw at it. My last experience with Sharepoint server was on Server 2003 R2 and it was bad but not nearly this bad.

I run an enterprise level SharePoint service, all our SQL servers are physical boxes. All the rest of the servers can be VMs but we have never had good results with SharePoint SQL servers on VM.

Building out our SP2013 farm right now we're loading it up our cluster with 768 GB RAM, 20 Core 2.20 GHz E5-2680v2 (per node).

tomapot
Apr 7, 2005
Oven Wrangler
Sitting on a call while a paralegal picks apart a software agreement and a professional service agreement with a vendor. I could not do that for a living, I'd claw my eyes out.

tomapot fucked around with this message at 19:50 on May 15, 2014

tomapot
Apr 7, 2005
Oven Wrangler

Ynglaur posted:

I think we're actually agreeing with each other. My point was that you need both "the business" (I hate that term, but it works) and a good legal team to properly craft a good EULA, MSA, SOW, etc.

True, we have a legal team just for IT. They may not know everything but they've seen enough of these that they can ask the right questions.

tomapot
Apr 7, 2005
Oven Wrangler
Pissing me off? When someone doesn't read the last message in the thread after I replied and added someone else. Now there's two different branches to the same email chain. How hard is it to take a second before replying and sort by subject or date/time.

While I'm at it my boss who is so bad at email management she has hundreds if unread emails.

tomapot
Apr 7, 2005
Oven Wrangler
Pissing me off: getting pressured into completing our company employee survey since our leadership wants 100% participation. Guess what forcing employees to complete the survey might not result in positive survey results.

Not pissing me off: One more meeting before I can cut loose for the holiday weekend.

tomapot
Apr 7, 2005
Oven Wrangler
At a conference and apparently the organizer didn't bribe the right union guy at the Javitz so no air conditioning for us.

tomapot
Apr 7, 2005
Oven Wrangler

Inspector_666 posted:

Holy poo poo that place is going to be a ridiculous hotbox. My condolences.

That big glass facade looks great but holy crap when the morning sun comes blasting through I felt like an ant under a magnifying glass.

tomapot
Apr 7, 2005
Oven Wrangler

tango alpha delta posted:

We have over twenty five thousand Sharepoint sites dating back to 2007. About 14000 haven't been used in over a year. Background jobs are trying to run with accounts that may not even exist anymore, so site collections aren't being updated properly in the search indexing. Holy loving gently caress, what a mess I've inherited.

I'm on the other side, not a lot of volume but all custom portals and applications built on SharePoint. Lots of special snowflakes.

tomapot
Apr 7, 2005
Oven Wrangler

slartibartfast posted:

• How can I empower my users to fail in a safe way?

Not end users but my CIO talked about giving a Get Out of Jail card to the IT staff. (I'm sure there are some caveats like blowing up prod systems by willfully not following procedures.)

tomapot
Apr 7, 2005
Oven Wrangler

EAT THE EGGS RICOLA posted:

This is still bad because instead of having it be "gently caress up and you're fired", it's just "gently caress up twice and you're fired".

In a company that is really innovative on the customer-facing side and cranks out crazy patents our internal IT is still kinda pedestrian. I think it was a way to get people to innovate without fear for their jobs (within limits).

tomapot
Apr 7, 2005
Oven Wrangler

Sir_Substance posted:

Be honest here, name one practical reason for wearing a tie.

Because when I tear it off and tie my wife to the bedpost it gets her hot. Since I'm working from home now I have to go fumble for them in the closet so it doesn't have the same dramatic effect.

tomapot
Apr 7, 2005
Oven Wrangler

stuxracer posted:

nepo. the best 'tism. We had a similar thing with QA resources. A director (75+ contractors reporting) "partnered" with a company owned by her loving brother. Somehow this lasted for years without anyone thinking this might be shady.

It makes me quesy that my director goes on golf vacations and Vegas trips with the managers of one of our vendors. He pays his own way, but when you get all buddy-buddy you lose objectivity.

tomapot
Apr 7, 2005
Oven Wrangler

Dick Trauma posted:

My new boss is mad because he asked for a Los Angeles area code number for his new office and I gave him a 424 one. He demanded a 310 one, like anyone in L.A. gives a flying gently caress what someone's work area code is. The best part: his phone is always on Do Not Disturb and he uses the main office number on his business card.

When I was a consultant I had clients in Manhattan. One told me that some companies would put the wrong zip code on their business cards and stationary because it was important to have a SoHo zip code and they were off by a block.

tomapot
Apr 7, 2005
Oven Wrangler

Dick Trauma posted:

This year I will be receiving a separate annual review from each of my four bosses. Yes, my last boss is somehow still one of my bosses even though she and I both report to my new boss and my box is no longer below hers on the org chart. I said "this makes me feel overmanaged" and my new boss said "I would've killed to have that much leadership when I was your age."

Not only is that a stupid thing to say since I don't receive leadership from any of these people, nor can one person be simultaneously led by four people, but I'm actually older than my new boss.

This is less like a job and more like a hallucination. And I didn't even get to choose between the red and blue pill!

Your age?? Aren't you like in your 40s? It's not like your an intern or new guy.

tomapot
Apr 7, 2005
Oven Wrangler

GargleBlaster posted:

Call me cynical but it's amazing how many company iPhones seem to get "accidentally dropped" shortly after a new release and how many of those drops seem to smash up the LCD as well as the touchscreen or are stilletto-shaped etc.

Just after the iPhone 6 came out I dropped my 5s phone on a concrete floor. Even with the protective case the screen cracked. I thought "I've just become one of those guys they talk about in the thread."
Instead I just expensed the $100 for a 5s replacement instead of trying to finagle a 6 out of the deal.

tomapot
Apr 7, 2005
Oven Wrangler

Scaramouche posted:

Thanks for the responses guys; the buildwindows thing looks especially promising but it might be too far into the future I'll have to see. EMC is a big name, but we don't really operate at a scale that requires that level of virtualisation/management.

RE: Vegas, definitely doesn't have to be. I'm out there probably twice a year for vendor trade shows as it is, and have been for the last 4 years. I have 'Vegas fatique' to put it kindly, where the things I notice most are how fake and mercenary everything is there.

Here's some other stuff I've been looking at to give you guys an idea of where I'm at. If any of you have been to any of these please feel free to chime in about your experiences:
http://www.mobileworldcongress.com/ (March, in Barcelona this year moohaha ok that's probably not going to happen)
http://mobilewebdevconference.com/ (Feb in San Fran, ehhh could be ok? Never heard of weave the people or circa)
http://vslive.com/Home.aspx (.NET Several dates, but will probably be desktop focussed)
http://devintersection.com/ (.NET ugggh sharepoint)

The security thing is interesting, but unfortunately would be mostly personally interesting, and not professionally interesting. I'm also scared of what I'd learn since right now it feels like there no actual such thing as security ;)

RE: Snowtires. They are important. I know the guy who brought it up probably won't want to read this, but if you've got snow for more than a month you should absolutely have them. All-seasons are a sick joke in comparison; I thought the whole switch em around thing was a big scam to bring in seasonal tire-installer bucks but then I consulted for a large tire retailer. The difference in elasticity in the tire, the tread depth, the tread pattern, all of it, makes a measurable and possibly live-saving difference.

Thanks Ants posted:

Does MS Ignite in May appeal at all?

Seconding the Ignite conference, http://ignite.microsoft.com. It is MS's new combined Office / SharePoint / Exchange / Lync / Yammer / MS Project conference. Chicago in May, any other goons going?

tomapot
Apr 7, 2005
Oven Wrangler

dennyk posted:

You can tell us '80s Florida kids because we're the ones with the logo of our moms' cars permanently branded onto our hands from the metal seat belt buckles. :v: That said, I'll take that any day over snow. Water freezing outside all by itself is some kind of unnatural voodoo witchcraft and I don't like it one bit, no sir. :colbert:

When the humidity drops below 50%, my nose starts bleeding and my fingers turn to sandpaper. :( I'm pretty sure if I ever traveled to the Southwest I'd dry up and collapse into a pile of dust as soon as I stepped outside. Even the winters here in Atlanta are too loving cold and dry for me.

I travel from NJ to Orlando every couple of months for work. What I'm saying is I get the worst of both places.

Congrats DT, you deserve it!

tomapot
Apr 7, 2005
Oven Wrangler
Dress chat, my progression at my company looks like this:
Consultant = full suit
Hired on full time = Kept wearing the suits for a while then I would drop the tie or jacket
A few more years, promoted to manager = Split time between button down shirt and nice polo shirt, occasional jacket
We got a new VP who relaxed dress code = Less and less button down shirts, more jeans
Transferred to corporate, manage a few more guys plus outsource support team, telecommute full time = Jean, tshirts, occasional sweats, haven't shaved all week

Seems the longer I work here and the higher up I move in management the worse I dress. When I make director I'll just be in a robe and slippers.

MC Fruit Stripe posted:

Argument I had with my boss today: whether or not I will be on two calls at once. Turns out I was right, I won't.

Paladine_PSoT posted:

Your next evaluation: "Not a team player"

Unable to manage multiple priorities.

tomapot
Apr 7, 2005
Oven Wrangler

Volmarias posted:

:rolleyes:

Go watch The Big Lebowski.

That's not what where I was going with my post, but I'm glad you all took it there.

tomapot
Apr 7, 2005
Oven Wrangler

Inspector_666 posted:

What was the joke then?

Must have been my inner Lebowski leaking through without me realizing.

tomapot
Apr 7, 2005
Oven Wrangler

SubjectVerbObject posted:

And that is what I don't get. This is a big change as to how they have handled things in the past, and from my perspective, if you get the 'effective immediately, x is no longer...' that is a firing. So I now wonder if some of the other people who are no longer here really were fired or just quit. The end result is it reinforces a culture of fear, which they are putting in place in other ways to, and is making me want to :yotj:.

At least you are getting some announcement, unless someone sends out a "it was great working with you, here is my gmail" blast email they just disappear from the org chart next time it is published.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

tomapot
Apr 7, 2005
Oven Wrangler
Not pissing me off: I'm in Chicago for the Microsoft Ignite conference, currently at a Cubs game with a bunch of SharePoint geeks.
Any other goons here this week?