Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

GnarlyCharlie4u posted:

I am about to lose my goddamn mind.

I don't know how you deal with the poo poo you do. Sounds super frustrating.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

The Fool posted:

Dumbass in house council bought a new cell phone in the middle of a pandemic and is now complaining about mfa not working.

checks out

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

Whipstickagostop posted:

How on earth do you tell an iPad to open .ica files with Citrix Receiver?

Girlfriend is trying to get her WfH stuff set up and had this issue. She tried to call her companies IT support, who couldn't seem to grasp she was on an iPad, not Windows.

Never worked with Citrix before but sure, I'll have a look.

She video calls me on Facebook messenger, picture quality like a 2003 Nokia, kids screaming at each other in the background.

I think I've aged 30 years in 30 minutes.

You download the Workspace app and use that to add the connection. At no point should you see an ICA file.

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

Whipstickagostop posted:

We tried the Workspace app, it connects fine, logs her in and she can see she is signed in on the app settings, but when you open the app list, it is blank and says "sign in" at the top.

The Receiver app logs in fine, however when you click on an app or the desktop tab, it tries to download an .ica file, but the ipad doesn't know how to open these.

She is getting paid either way regardless if she can log in, so we are done messing about with it. It was just incredibly stresful providing tech support for another company on a platform I am completely unfamiliar with while the user has screaming kids in the background and the only view I get is wonky pictures on Messenger.

It's been a little while and I haven't touched their new Workspace app, but in the past there was a toggle between Apps and Desktops, can you check to make sure you're going to the right "tab"? Also, in the past they only showed things that you or IT marked as favorites on that first screen. Is there an option to browse for additional Apps or Desktops?

If not, sorry, that's all I've got. The link Thanks Ants posted is worth a look, but connecting that way is less than ideal.

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

just lol if you're not doing drugs constantly during the apocalypse

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

I love Microsoft support. Open a ticket in the O365 portal, user is having problems with Outlook for Android app. "We do not support that app, have them use the in-app support request." Use the in-app support request, they will only talk to the user and the user only, and only through the Outlook app. Try to find a way for an internal O365 admin to be involved in the request, it's apparently not possible. Microsoft, I will never, ever, send my users directly to you for support because you are garbage and I don't want to deal with that fallout.

I just can't these days.

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

The Iron Rose posted:

This exact reason was how I got our CEO to move off outlook. We’re a gsuite shop and he was the only person still using Outlook. The in-app support, as you might expect, was useless. Emails just stopped being delivered to his inbox one day, both outlook and google kept tossing the problem at each other. Back when I was still doing some tickets at this company I spent probably about 12 hours white glove helping through it before the inevitable conclusion of “just use Gmail” was finally reached.

It was lovely tech work but it was easily the most useful time I spent all quarter. the CEO was great and now he knows my name and thinks I walk on water, and that’s how I survived the literal decimation of our company on Tuesday.

Fantastic. The twist here is we're a Microsoft shop and use O365. Good luck ever trying to get help with the iOS Mail app, Gmail, or any of the built-in email apps for Android, from Microsoft. It blows my mind that this is their idea of "support" on their first party apps.

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

I swear to gently caress I need to get the hell away from any role that involves dealing with Microsoft support or end-users in any capacity. I just loving can't anymore.

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

Yes, definitely. But Microsoft support is absolute garbage and I am sick of dealing with them.

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

Implementing a working DR strategy isn't something with a hard deadline. Part of having a working DR strategy is limiting your technical debt and having sufficient expertise available to handle important projects. It sounds like the company has failed their first test and they should spend time evaluating why. Please do not pull crazy hours to bail them out.

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

Wicaeed posted:

I mean yeah, isn't that why salaried employees exist? To dump ridiculous deadlines and insane workloads on.

salaried != salaried exempt

You're salaried exempt? Oh? So you frequently work less than 40 hours a week?

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

Well you at least show up at whatever time you want and leave at whatever time you want, right?

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

Wicaeed posted:

I will be the first person to say that our company abuses our FTEs and salaried employees, expecting them to work extra hours with little to no expectation for comp time or other perks.

Salaried employees are not inheritently exempt from overtime. There is a specific category of salaried employees that are exempt from overtime. Stop conflating salaried and not being paid for extra hours.

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

The Iron Rose posted:

The level of internal pushback I get on any security item is absolutely appalling. If I wasn't on this team, I'm pretty sure nobody would give a poo poo. We're failing on the basics - encryption, patching, offboarding - and every time I try and campaign for it I get told to sit down and shut up in nicer words.

It's incredibly frustrating.

yeah, sounds about right

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

If that worked for you, that's awesome, but I would say it is not a given that a breach would lead to things changing. I certainly have seen it not. In fact, I'm not sure I've ever seen a breach or really any other catastrophic event lead to improvement. And I have seen my fair share of "company-ending" level of events.

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

Well, I found the guy you can probably get rid of!

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

xzzy posted:

A veteran IT guy would have been "oh crap I was cleaning up some DNS stuff and must have fat fingered a command, give me a minute to fix."

I mean it's still embarrassing but if you frame it as a mistake instead of intentional the hammer may not come down as hard. :v:

Assuming the TTL is set to something sane. :allears:

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

Antigravitas posted:

Negative results aren't cached in any sane implementation, luckily.

Definitely not something I trust. I have seen NXDOMAIN responses cached for days.

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

Shot seems reasonable. Let's not make engineering concessions when we don't need to. :colbert:

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

Being on-call loving sucks, but I am not sure dealing with helpdesk tickets every day is better.

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

Weedle posted:

my boss idly floated the idea the other week of promising 24/7 helpdesk monitoring (we have three techs) and i said (paraphrased) "gently caress offffffffffffff" and haven't heard about it since

I did a short stint for an MSP that expected people to be on-call for a week with waaaaayyyyyy too many customers for a single person to handle. On top of that, they had a 24/7 contract that customers could pay a ton of money for and get "full time" support, but they wanted the on-call person to monitor circuits 24x7. For hundreds of locations, most of which were small businesses running basic Comcast cable internet. I raised so much hell about that, 24x7 monitoring for 8x5 customers ended and they started paying way more for on-call.

There's some bullshit going on in our industry (all industries) where "on-call" is used instead of a second/third shift. Being on-call is like, something unexpected happens with a frequency of about once a month. Not so that you can bilk your employees for free or lower-cost work.

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

Thanks Ants posted:

I have this argument a lot - "on call" means P1 escalation, it doesn't mean "help me print" at 11pm.

For sure. And if your core business is dealing with P1 escalations 24x7, then you need to staff for it.

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

The number of people I have worked with, places I have worked at, that don't understand that it's okay to have things in a queue unassigned is mind-boggling. Set up an email alert for emails that are 15 minutes in unassigned. All tickets must be assigned, even if you are not working on them. Why?

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

This is why IT should stay the gently caress out of websites. Have marketing figure out what web designers / developers they want to work with and host the site on something you have no control over. I might monitor SSL/TLS cert for expiry and maybe do some basic up/down monitoring, as a professional courtesy, but that's about it.

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

Maigius posted:

I am the web designer in this case, making things more annoying that they changed things without going through my team.

Ahhhhhhhhh, that makes more sense. Yeah, it seems like murder might be justified in this case?

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

J posted:

The VPN isn't down, your internet connection is just a piece of poo poo :argh:

I regularly get "I saw the number of VPN connected users drop!" Yeah, Comcast in our region went down. Or CenturyLink in our region went down. Stop bothering me with random nonsense that users haven't even opened a ticket about. And find something more production to do than watch our concurrent connected user count on our VPN.

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

This is affecting production!!!

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

duffmensch posted:

That’s normal for me in my home office (usually have the temp set at 78° for the rest of the house). The joys of living where it’s supposed to be 108° today.

Good lord. I get sweaty when it hits 75.

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

xzzy posted:

I think they give you 30 days to run offline, yank the network on your computer and I believe it'll work fine.

But perhaps they forgot to handle the case where the local internet connection is still there but the remote server is spewing poo poo, which is pretty shameful.

I am way too intermittently familiar with how Adobe handles sign-in and licensing and the fact that it ever works at all is actually super impressive.

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

The Fool posted:

I have a cisco ucm right now and there is no limit to the amount of company money that I would spend to get rid of it.

Truth

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

Even if you give out the passwords to accounts, it will only let you have 5 devices active per account. I'm not doubting, it just sounds even dumber than it sounds on it's face, which is amazing.

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

Prism Mirror Lens posted:

Do you ever open a wiki/confluence/readme trying to figure something out, then see it’s filled with loving jokes and gifs that you have to waste your time reading around like an obstacle course for the eyes

I hate this poo poo and try to put a stop to it any time I can. I mean, it's a miracle if anyone else is typing documentation, but I hate it. Same thing with changing font color and holding and font sizes. Yeah let's start an arms race for "this is the most important!"

Header yes. Info/warning/critical callous, yes. Bullet points, numbered lists, all yes. But poo poo needs to be organized and easy to read, not a loving Jackson Polluck painting.

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

For sure, sfc /scannow and dism /online /cleanup-image /restorehealth.

I mean, I don't really do too much desktop stuff these days and really haven't most of my career, but I have seen it help in some circumstances.

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

Ritualistic IT. "I do this dance and then the thing is usually fixed! Why? No idea, but it works!"

Then as you get higher up, cargo culting. My god, so much cargo culting.

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

Antigravitas posted:

THE gently caress IS THIS poo poo MICROSOFT. WHAT. THE. gently caress.

:agreed:

Microsoft learned the term "minimum viable product" and has been going all in on that ever since.

Internet Explorer fucked around with this message at 15:24 on Jun 10, 2020

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

Antigravitas posted:

I can't believe I'm writing this but

Couldn't they have used Access for that?

shoulda stuck with your gut

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

Super Soaker Party! posted:

But yeah Microsoft gets a hearty gently caress you from me this week, this was some bullshit.

This is the modern Microsoft I know and love!

At least some sort of always-on VPN seems to be supported in Azure now? For the longest time it wasn't. Also, Microsoft's P2S VPN in Azure is just atrocious. I ended up spinning up an OpenVPN server instead. Much happier.

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

Bob Morales posted:

Are these people just coddled so much that they don't need to call the help desk? This is something they can fix in 30 seconds. But they call the drat IT Director, who was apparently driving somewhere and then has to call us?

Yes, and the bad "IT Directors" and "CIOs" encourage it because it makes them look good with the in crowd. Talk to them and they'll get their top engineer on it right away.

I always fight it when I'm in management. Right now I'm a "senior engineer" and my management partakes in this idiocy and it drives me insane.

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

Bob Morales posted:

I think part of it is that the IT director was the 'IT Department' back when they re-organized the hospital a 8-10 years back.

For sure, I am sure that contributes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

I love, love my 34'' 2:19 ultrawides. I have one at home and one at work. It's true that snapping a window to one side or another isn't the same as your standard 16:9, but the vast majority of things work great in that aspect ratio. There is also PowerToys that you can use to set a custom snap-point for the center that's larger and more similar to 16:9. There are also super-ultrawides that are coming out, but honestly that may be a bit much.