Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dradien
Jun 24, 2005
Ask me about shrimp.
It really pisses me off when lovely webapps take over standard browser shortcuts. When I want a new tab, I push Control-T, and start typing away; well, normally. This application we use at work uses that (and a whole host of other commands) for some in-application toggles and it bugs me when I go to open a new tab or whatever, start typing away, and nothing happens.

I know it's something I should adapt to, but goddamn is it ever annoying.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dradien
Jun 24, 2005
Ask me about shrimp.
Re: Salary Chat

Jesus, how the gently caress do places justify paying people that low for “management” positions? I’m a mid tier “analyst” working with a new core claim system in a insurance company in Rural PA and I’m making more than some of the “management” people in this thread.

Dradien
Jun 24, 2005
Ask me about shrimp.

Bob Morales posted:

I share an office with a contractor who does helpdesk etc. Someone comes in with two sales guys. I'm clearly on a call (headset, Teams on screen). They're being loud as poo poo.

They can't get an iPhone off silent.

I mute my call. "Hit the switch on the side of the phone"

They still can't figure it out.

lol iphones suck! androids are better!
laughing, just being loud

:rolleyes:

After about five minutes they realize the case on the phone covers the button so you have to pop out the little panel to access it.

Why would they put it there! That's so dumb! iPhones are stupid! Android is better! Hahahah!

Then my boss went into a schpiel about how he wants to switch us over to Androids because security is better and he also wants to switch us to Tmobile (who has terrrible coverage in our area) :argh:

Maybe get a better loving case and learn to use the poo poo you have? I'm an Android user and have been for most of my cellphone having life, but the little mute switch on the iPhones are amazing.

On that note, getting an iPhone from my new job - screw having company poo poo on my personal phone. Only been in this new job 2 weeks as of this Friday, but I gotta say, that move has been fantastic :yotj:.

Dradien
Jun 24, 2005
Ask me about shrimp.

Wizard of the Deep posted:

Yea, personal policy is that work gets zero control over my personal device. If they want me to have access to email/phone when I'm not at my desk, that's a company-provided device. That's a hard line for me.

Along with the many replies in this vein, this was my thought as well. Work gets absolutely zero control of my personal data/device. I know InTune is supposed to be sandboxed and whatnot, but gently caress that.

Dradien
Jun 24, 2005
Ask me about shrimp.
I have a Latitude 5520 with some decent specs - 16 GB RAM, 11th Gen i5, and some 256 Gig main drive... I run everything off Citrix, so it isn't bad.

However, the TrackPad on this thing is such a steaming pile of poo poo. Holy crap is it bad, I dread using it dockless/without a mouse, for those rare occasions I need to.

Dradien fucked around with this message at 16:24 on Jan 14, 2022