Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Wallet
Jun 19, 2006

Super Slash posted:

In the same vein using some actual semblance of language is a big help, yesterday I was trying to help someone who only have me a series of "Yup" to every multiple answer question I threw at them.

I get this all the time, along with people just messaging me "Hello Wallet" and waiting for me to respond instead of just asking whatever the loving question is. I'm convinced they do this to hide how lazy they are because if I'm busy and I don't respond immediately, when I get around to asking them what they wanted they have somehow magically found an answer without my help.

I also have a number of people who have finally realized that you can @ people in Slack but don't at all understand what it does, so now all of their direct messages are "@Wallet hello wallet!"

Wallet fucked around with this message at 14:23 on Mar 29, 2019

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wallet
Jun 19, 2006

Sickening posted:

Its googles version of excel. You can create a document with a free google account, share it with your colleges, and then change the password on the document when you get fired and there is nothing your company can do about it.

Except that's just Google Sheets. Google suggests that smartsheet is some kind of product that works on top of GSuite?

Wallet
Jun 19, 2006

HiroProtagonist posted:

Google sheets is plain rear end and I say this as someone with a hatred for Excel that borders on the pathological.

Google sheets is fine and for a significant portion of users has all of the functionality they need or understand. It starts falling behind dealing with large or complex sheets, but most of the people I work with can barely figure out how to calculate a sum with a formula.

HiroProtagonist posted:

If you've never encountered a brain genius that suggests you "work collaboratively" in a spreadsheet only to have someone accidentally change a cell value without realizing it and spending the next few hours chasing down the source of it, then I envy you.

Collaborative spreadsheeting is a stupid idea no matter what you're using, but version history usually reveals whatever dumb poo poo someone did on a shared file pretty quickly.

Wallet
Jun 19, 2006

22 Eargesplitten posted:

Too many people have been getting promoted out of the support department, so to prevent the loss of further knowledge of the proprietary software, a freeze has been placed on transferring out of the support department.

But hey, if everyone quits all that knowledge will still be in house! It's a perfect solution.

Wallet
Jun 19, 2006

AlternateAccount posted:

Nothing like being hired for your expertise and experience and then being consistently overridden by a know-nothing blowhard who reads C-NET articles like :hmmyes:

I love it when people ask for my advice, I provide it alongside a clear explanation for why a particular approach is better than the alternatives, and then it's entirely ignored. It makes me particularly happy when I then get blamed for the alternative that was selected having exactly the issues I explained it would have six months ago.

Wallet
Jun 19, 2006

I just get email threads where people gently caress up reply all in Gmail until there are six commingled threads with each thread going to a different subset of the original recipients.

Wallet
Jun 19, 2006

It's a less immediately satisfying but I've personally found the most effective way to deal with poo poo like that is to very calmly tell them that their behavior is unacceptable and that you're not going to engage with them until they act like an adult. Depending on how much of a gently caress they are this usually either makes them irate or they reign it in. Yelling back is tempting but it just tells them that that's an acceptable way to behave in a professional environment. If they keep it up I tell them that I'm not willing to be treated that way and then I leave.

I had a boss that would occasionally decide that he wanted to get into a shouting match with someone (anyone) about something (anything) and this was the only approach that worked for me. After I walked out a couple of times he decided it was better to—I assume—find someone else to yell at. Depending on your position and how much they need you that may or may not work for you but, particularly at a small company with no HR, management probably isn't going to intervene unless you make it more work for them to continue to ignore it than it is for them to deal with it.

Wallet
Jun 19, 2006

Steakandchips posted:

Who carries a styptic pen around at work?

People who shave their ears at work, obviously.

Wallet
Jun 19, 2006

Bob Morales posted:

Zero tech questions can mean nobody really knows how anything works. You can potentially end up with people who don't know anything and just bullshitted their way in.

At smaller places it can also mean that people know what they don't know, which I take as a good sign. A small team is pretty likely to be hiring for skills that they don't have—I'd rather they not pull questions out of their rear end that none of them know how to actually evaluate the answer to anyway. Of course, it could also mean that they have a massive mess that no one knows how to fix and they're looking for someone they can dump it on.

Wallet
Jun 19, 2006

Jaded Burnout posted:

There was me feeling stupid for thinking I was missing the uninstall option somewhere. Thanks for preinstalling an app you can't remove that's nonetheless going to run all the time.

I had a test Android phone for work from Verizon or something and it came with a pre-installed and unremovable copy of the loving NFL app. As I recall the only way to genuinely remove it was to root the phone. I guess at least the NFL app probably isn't spying on you to sell your information to recruiters.

Wallet
Jun 19, 2006

bull3964 posted:

Carriers and OEMs like Samsung are garbage about making pre-install deals for software (for example, all Samsung devices have loving McAfee embedded as a core part of the system.) This is why you buy a Pixel device.

I personally use a Pixel, yeah. Just seemed particularly absurd to me that the NFL is paying Samsung or whoever to force everyone to have the NFL app on their phones like people are going to accidentally open it one day and realize that they've secretly loved football all of their lives and they just never knew it.

Wallet
Jun 19, 2006

The Iron Rose posted:

I'd love to hear how people here have dealt with anything similar, or hear strategies for how they communicate these sorts of thing.

I've run into a similar issue sometimes (minus the potential sexism) when dealing with non-technical co-workers and I think part of the disconnect is because of this:

The Iron Rose posted:

Which means if you understand exactly what you're telling a system to do, you should be able to predict the results.

Below a certain level of technical understanding people might agree that this is the case in principle, but it doesn't feel true because it doesn't match up with their experience. When most of what goes on inside of a computer is a mystery, it's equally mysterious why things sometimes work and sometimes don't. From a technical perspective answering questions about how something works or how something can break is just sharing information, but it can come off very differently from a non-technical perspective.

I've seen this repeatedly with non-technical folks asking me if a tool or product can do something. Often they're asking if it can do something that it's impossible for it to do because it doesn't have the right data or doesn't function in the right way or whatever—even though I haven't read every piece of documentation or googled the thing they want it to do I can confidently answer "no" without much thought.

Someone on the tech side might ask follow up questions, but in my experience they aren't going to question the validity of or intent behind the answer itself unless they think I'm an idiot. From a non-technical perspective there's no way I could confidently answer their request in a couple of seconds unless I've already looked into it previously, so it seems like I'm being dismissive of their request because I'm a jerk, or that I'm a cocky gently caress that thinks I know everything, or that I don't want it to be possible/don't want to do the work to make it possible so I'm pretending that it isn't, or I don't care enough to put in the leg-work to find out.

For some people explaining why the thing they are asking for isn't possible (or why something won't break in such-and-such circumstance, etc) makes them feel a lot better about the interaction even if they don't follow half of the explanation. Other people take it better if I say that I have to look into it and then go do some other poo poo before I answer.

Wallet fucked around with this message at 00:03 on Sep 3, 2020

Wallet
Jun 19, 2006

Prism Mirror Lens posted:

In a >1hr lunchtime meeting to discuss processes even though people mainly keep asking “what’s wrong with the process as it is? Why are we having this meeting?” :woop: but of course if you give people an hour to complain they’ll suddenly find a load of pointless grievances

e: And I suspect, from having been a lead before, that the reason behind these meetings is just that the lead feels insecure and wants to ‘do something’. Nothing to do with actual process problems.

Personally I found that those kind of process meetings can be extremely useful for a new team if you keep people on track and give them some kind of anonymity, but once you've done them for a while it just turns into petty grievances and nonsense; I suspect it would be even worse if you started them from scratch with a team that already has long established processes.

Wallet
Jun 19, 2006

Thanatosian posted:

I got tied of Twitter prompting for a login, so created a Twitter account just for browsing Twitter, with no phone number.

They immediately locked the account and won't unlock it until I put in a phone number.

You're lucky, they banned mine (which had never sent a tweet) and denied my appeal for... reasons? (which they didn't provide)

Partycat posted:

The new call of duty game does phone number verification too. You can play for free with a phone number, but it won’t accept my cell, VoIP, or office numbers so …? Guess I won’t play it.

A lot of them you can get around using a Canadian VOIP number because Canada has made it sort of a pain to do carrier lookups.

Wallet fucked around with this message at 13:28 on Oct 9, 2021

Wallet
Jun 19, 2006

chin up everything sucks posted:

A service that exists for temporary phone numbers to tie services to sounds like something that is needed.

You can get regular rear end phone numbers all day, the issue is finding a provider that is willing to lie for you about what kind of carrier they are when the number gets looked up. It's very simple and inexpensive (half a penny through Twilio without any kind of contract) to do carrier lookups on numbers people enter into your service to just bounce anything that isn't registered as a mobile number.

To be allowed to perform carrier lookups on Canadian numbers (even through a third party) you need a contract with the Canadian Royal Phone Number Authority or what-the-gently caress which is a slightly higher bar and if a service hasn't bothered then it comes down to how it handles cases where it can't retrieve carrier data.

Wallet fucked around with this message at 20:34 on Oct 9, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wallet
Jun 19, 2006

This has been a feature in Google Sheets for years and it's quite useful :shrug: