Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
CampingCarl
Apr 28, 2008

Khanstant posted:

I think you know what they mean when they mean console. That second paragraph is saying that people want the comforts of living-room gaming from their PC games and that controllers are really good for some games.
He seems to mean anything that is attached to the TV in the living room is a console. If I moved my PC into the living room I don't think most people would call it a console. How is people wanting the comforts of living room gaming and controllers being good for some games polluting PC gaming?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fergus Mac Roich
Nov 5, 2008

Soiled Meat

CAPT. Rainbowbeard posted:

/\/\/\/\/\ What Khanstant he said.

I guess I'm coming from the console end of the spectrum, and years upon years of PC elitist echo chamber complaints. Those are the two big factors I've noticed that people state when they give reasons why consoles are suboptimal. Well, that, screen resolution (not a huge issue anymore), and these "mod" things which, more often than not, are the fanfiction of software.

Again, I like the way this is headed, but I can't help but notice that suddenly it's okay to like a console for some people.

What are you talking about, dude? Tons of PC gamers have been hooking up their PCs to their TVs and playing games with a controller for a long time now. This isn't some new thing.

CampingCarl
Apr 28, 2008

I guess I'm coming from the console end of the spectrum, and years upon years of PC elitist echo chamber complaints. Those are the two big factors I've noticed that people state when they give reasons why consoles are suboptimal. Well, that, screen resolution (not a huge issue anymore), and these "mod" things which, more often than not, are the fanfiction of software.

Again, I like the way this is headed, but I can't help but notice that suddenly it's okay to like a console for some people.
To start with PC users have been using controllers for a while and it is consoles that are the more restrictive on input devices which is why an open design for a controller from Valve would make a lot of people happy. Second, are you really saying the ability to have mods is a negative?

People are not acting like it is suddenly okay to like a console, people like it because it is not a console.

psyman
Nov 1, 2008
I hope Valve push ahead with their modular controller. Thumbstick for movement + trackball for aiming is the way to go and it's surprising that Razer/Logitech/etc haven't created a controller like that yet.

In terms of replacing a keyboard for couch gaming, this can already be achieved with an Xbox chatpad/PS3 keypad which connect flush to the respective controllers.

The Xbox pad has 2 modifier buttons (the green & orange keys in the bottom row) for a combined 80+ effective keys, plus it's backlit. MotionJoy supports the PS3 keypad, and unofficial drivers support the Xbox chatpad here: https://code.google.com/p/chatpad-super-driver/issues/detail?id=46

Great Enoch
Mar 23, 2011

bigmandan posted:

Yes exactly this.

Right from the SteamOS page "Users can alter or replace any part of the software or hardware they want." At it's core, SteamOS/Steam Machines are PCs that have improvements that are focused on gaming. If you really wanted to, you could install OpenOffice and do work from your couch since it's still a PC.

Weird thing is, I've always wanted to bring the living room paradigm to the desktop, especially living in a country where increasingly residential homes don't even have living rooms (or where the government is busy taking them away from the poors) any more. Having some sort of standard hardware unit for a pc platform for both productivity and games seems like a seriously untapped thing. It's the "get a mac mini", "but I want to play games" discussion one used to have a couple years ago.

If Valve even threw half a glance at promoting productivity software on steamOS (light office work, finance software - already available on steam, bibliographic software for students etc.) I could really see them making some headway in the market for students and young adults.

Taffer
Oct 15, 2010

We should maybe define some terms here since you seem to be on a totally different page than everyone else. "Console" doesn't mean "computer hooked up to a TV". A console is a device with locked hardware and software, strictly defined and limited input options, and is generally a very closed system. It's designed and built exclusively under the control of one company, and they can control and change any aspect of its software, including built in locks and restrictions. A PC is an open system with freely modifiable hardware and software, and virtually unlimited input and output options. People aren't treating the steambox like a console because it isn't one. It's a PC built specifically for being a "living room" device, and for using steamOS. But it's open, meaning you can freely load another OS on it, or install any Linux compatible software, or attach any variety of input devices, from keyboards to mice to joysticks to controllers, or even open it up and change out hardware components. In other words, not like a console at all.

Also, you're not doing yourself any favors with "PC elitist echo chamber complaints". That's like us saying "console kiddies :rolleyes:"

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

Chimp_On_Stilts posted:

You cannot say this, since none of the hardware has been announced.

I think it's a safe assumption that Steam Machine hardware will run a huge gamut, especially if SteamOS becomes popular. Remember: Valve is using a strategy similar to Android - Valve makes the OS, anybody can make hardware. So, using the Android ecosystem as an example, it seems strongly likely that we will see a huge range of Steam Machines.

Big boxes. Quiet boxes. Sub-$100 boxes that can only stream games from another gaming machine in the same residence. Gigantic quad-SLI XTREME GAMER boxes that cost thousands of dollars. Whatever else people are willing to pay for.

Valve has a huge boner for openness and letting market forces rule when possible (see: user created content in TF2, Counter-Strike, DOTA2, Steam Greenlight, etc.). SteamOS and Steam Machines are a new product using some of the same principles.

Personally, I do hope that Valve releases their own hardware as an example of what a 'pristine' SteamOS experience can / should be, and also to give game makers a hardware anchor point to design for. This would capture some, but not all, of the advantage of having fixed hardware in consoles. Otherwise Valve risks the Android fragmentation problem.

This is mostly in agreement with what I said. I still think most Steam Machines sold at first will be in the HTPC form factor in order to ride the living room hype wave Valve is building. But other than that, what you say is true. There will be a ton of different varieties of machines that fit any possible PC archetype. Or you could build your own or put SteamOS in your current PC. The point I was actually making is that they're still just PCs, so trying to say that SteamOS isn't for PCs like that guy was seems to be really heavily missing the point.

Dolphin
Dec 5, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Yeah! First Jim Crow laws now this?! Console gamers have clearly been some kind of minority for some time now.

OXBALLS DOT COM
Sep 11, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
Young Orc
I hope that they actually lock down the hardware specs a bit to just a handful of variants, which all must work with official Valve drivers. This would help programmers optimize and also hopefully exercise some quality control over the stuff that's officially branded as a 'steam machine.'

spincube
Jan 31, 2006

I spent :10bux: so I could say that I finally figured out what this god damned cube is doing. Get well Lowtax.
Grimey Drawer

psyman posted:

I hope Valve push ahead with their modular controller. Thumbstick for movement + trackball for aiming is the way to go and it's surprising that Razer/Logitech/etc haven't created a controller like that yet.

In terms of replacing a keyboard for couch gaming, this can already be achieved with an Xbox chatpad/PS3 keypad which connect flush to the respective controllers.

The Xbox pad has 2 modifier buttons (the green & orange keys in the bottom row) for a combined 80+ effective keys, plus it's backlit. MotionJoy supports the PS3 keypad, and unofficial drivers support the Xbox chatpad here: https://code.google.com/p/chatpad-super-driver/issues/detail?id=46

There's a difference between a controller attachment designed to make punching out download codes and quick person-to-person IMs simple, and something you'd use as part of a gaming PC. They're designed for thumbs, not five fingertips; and both systems at a minimum support USB keyboards anyway, for text input in their respective web browsers - so it's not like they solved this problem any more than that ridiculous GameCube controller:

'It didn't work for GameCube, so we bought up the warehouse overstock for GabeCube' :shepface:

[e] I would imagine that, given how Steam rates its catalogue based on full/partial/no controller support, they're not hoping to replace the keyboard, but make it easier to pick out everything you can play using the single controller in your hand from Big Picture mode on your Steam Machine

spincube fucked around with this message at 21:53 on Sep 26, 2013

CampingCarl
Apr 28, 2008

I am not a big controller person but is there any reason why a qwerty keyboard and the rest of the controller have to be on the same device? I can't see anyone using those tiny keyboards for game input, just communication or browsing where having a small wireless keyboard nearby seems fine if you won't be using it all the time. In Dota 2 Valve added the chat wheel which is a way to say various things in chat, defined ahead of time, with only a couple buttons which seems perfect for controllers.

Cream_Filling posted:

I hope that they actually lock down the hardware specs a bit to just a handful of variants, which all must work with official Valve drivers. This would help programmers optimize and also hopefully exercise some quality control over the stuff that's officially branded as a 'steam machine.'
I don't think lots of hardware variants would be a problem as long as they are all going through a unified driver standard. I think it is unlikely there will be much emphasis on an 'official' Steam machine except possibly at initial release anymore than there is an 'official' Windows machine.

OXBALLS DOT COM
Sep 11, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
Young Orc
Developing for a billion different combinations of hardware and software is a big part of why developing for PCs is harder than for consoles, though.

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

GET LOSE, YOU CAN'T COMPARE WITH MY POWERS
Sorry that gamecube controller kinda rules.

Jeffrey of YOSPOS fucked around with this message at 22:10 on Sep 26, 2013

Heran Bago
Aug 18, 2006

spincube posted:

There's a difference between a controller attachment designed to make punching out download codes and quick person-to-person IMs simple, and something you'd use as part of a gaming PC. They're designed for thumbs, not five fingertips; and both systems at a minimum support USB keyboards anyway, for text input in their respective web browsers - so it's not like they solved this problem any more than that ridiculous GameCube controller:

Great now I want it.

Hobo Siege
Apr 24, 2008

by Cowcaster

spincube posted:

'It didn't work for GameCube, so we bought up the warehouse overstock for GabeCube' :shepface:

[e] I would imagine that, given how Steam rates its catalogue based on full/partial/no controller support, they're not hoping to replace the keyboard, but make it easier to pick out everything you can play using the single controller in your hand from Big Picture mode on your Steam Machine

What game even used that monstrosity? PSO and... PSO?

CampingCarl
Apr 28, 2008

Cream_Filling posted:

Developing for a billion different combinations of hardware and software is a big part of why developing for PCs is harder than for consoles, though.
That is why you need unified drivers, API, ect. Rather than making software to fit all the hardware, you have the hardware fit with a set standard of software. This is part of why it is important that Valve got ATI, Nvidia, ect. on board.

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

Hobo Siege posted:

What game even used that monstrosity? PSO and... PSO?

Nintendo making a Gamecube peripheral that only 1 game uses? Well I never! -stares at broadband adapter, microphone and GBA Link cables-

OXBALLS DOT COM
Sep 11, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
Young Orc

CampingCarl posted:

That is why you need unified drivers, API, ect. Rather than making software to fit all the hardware, you have the hardware fit with a set standard of software. This is part of why it is important that Valve got ATI, Nvidia, ect. on board.

Except this does nothing for optimization, performance targets, etc.

Beefheart
May 5, 2003

Cream_Filling posted:

Except this does nothing for optimization, performance targets, etc.

It does if that unified API allows low-level access to the hardware which is what AMD's Mantle API is promising.

psyman
Nov 1, 2008

CampingCarl posted:

I am not a big controller person but is there any reason why a qwerty keyboard and the rest of the controller have to be on the same device? I can't see anyone using those tiny keyboards for game input, just communication or browsing where having a small wireless keyboard nearby seems fine if you won't be using it all the time. In Dota 2 Valve added the chat wheel which is a way to say various things in chat, defined ahead of time, with only a couple buttons which seems perfect for controllers.

The Xbox chatpad is really useful for space sims with lots of functions, so it does have a purpose outside typing :)

I wonder if that would work with Xpadder via a GC controller-to-PC USB adapter?

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

univbee posted:

Nintendo making a Gamecube peripheral that only 1 game uses? Well I never! -stares at broadband adapter, microphone and GBA Link cables-

Super gameboy? 4 way Gameboy link cable? N64 tilt pack? Gameboy printer/camera? (Was this cool? It seemed sort of popular.) The list goes on and on.

EDIT: Just saw you said gamecube but eh, still funny.

Bovineicide
May 2, 2005

Eating your face since 1991.
Why is it that there are PC gamers who still act like game controllers are a new thing? My AppleIIc had a joystick attachment for chrissake.

I guess the main sticking point for me would be if I could play Dark Souls I and II on this thing without streaming. If not, no dice :colbert:

Germstore
Oct 17, 2012

A Serious Candidate For a Serious Time

Jeffrey posted:

Super gameboy? 4 way Gameboy link cable? N64 tilt pack? Gameboy printer/camera? (Was this cool? It seemed sort of popular.) The list goes on and on.

EDIT: Just saw you said gamecube but eh, still funny.

It's basically true for all Nintendo systems. Wanna come over and play with my R.O.B.?

ColHannibal
Sep 17, 2007

Germstore posted:

It's basically true for all Nintendo systems. Wanna come over and play with my R.O.B.?

Only if I can bring my Super Nintendo mouse.

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

Make sure you bring the four player adapter.

JakeP
Apr 27, 2003

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Lipstick Apathy

poverty goat
Feb 15, 2004

Bovineicide posted:

Why is it that there are PC gamers who still act like game controllers are a new thing? My AppleIIc had a joystick attachment for chrissake.

I'm surprised that those people still exist. I'd never consider playing anything remotely similar to GTA, Arkham Asylum or Assassins Creed with a M+K anymore; anything relatively new that isn't a shooter or a strategy game probably plays as well on a 360 gamepad if not better (which shouldn't be surprising since consoles are generally the target platforms nowadays). I've even been caving on some less shooty shooters lately- Farcry 3, Hitman Absolution, Dishonored, even New Vegas and Skyrim are all pretty solid on the 360 gamepad (with some caveats, of course, based on choice of playstyle).

poverty goat fucked around with this message at 07:33 on Sep 27, 2013

Veotax
May 16, 2006

Germstore posted:

Eh, R.O.B. ins't really the same thing. Wasn't it just made to trick US stores into carrying the NES as a toy because no one wanted to touch video game consoles after Atari crashed the market?

Blast of Confetti
Apr 21, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

gggiiimmmppp posted:

I'm surprised that those people still exist. I'd never consider playing anything remotely similar to GTA, Arkham Asylum or Assassins Creed with a M+K anymore; anything relatively new that isn't a shooter or a strategy game probably plays as well on a 360 gamepad if not better (which shouldn't be surprising since consoles are generally the target platforms nowadays). I've even been caving on some less shooty shooters lately- Farcry 3, Hitman Absolution, Dishonored, even New Vegas and Skyrim are all pretty solid on the 360 gamepad (with some caveats, of course, based on choice of playstyle).

I had no clue they existed either. I like M+K on anything shooter related, but in games like FC3 or Just Cause 2, I have a controller in my lap for the second I hop in to a car or do anything that's not aiming a gun. It'd suck having to play a lot of games today without something as precise as a controller when it comes to movement. :psyduck:

That Fucking Sned
Oct 28, 2010

Driving with the mouse and keyboard in GTA IV is terrible, because it's designed for fully analogue steering and acceleration. Trying to drive with WASD just leaves you skidding all over the place.

Baron FU
Apr 3, 2009

That loving Sned posted:

Driving with the mouse and keyboard in GTA IV is terrible, because it's designed for fully analogue steering and acceleration. Trying to drive with WASD just leaves you skidding all over the place.

Totally agree. It's also why I find some PC gamers claim that mouse and keyboard is more "precise" for anything and everything dumb as hell. Analog is clearly the superior control form for driving in games much like mouse/keyboard is for shooters.

Raygereio
Nov 12, 2012

Baron FU posted:

It's also why I find some PC gamers claim that mouse and keyboard is more "precise" for anything and everything dumb as hell. Analog is clearly the superior control form for driving in games much like mouse/keyboard is for shooters.
Any claim that one control form is superior then the other is generally dumb as hell. As long as the control mechanics aren't outright broken for one form, which one is better for you should just come down to basic preference.

Baron FU
Apr 3, 2009

Raygereio posted:

Any claim that one control form is superior then the other is generally dumb as hell. As long as the control mechanics aren't outright broken for one form, which one is better for you should just come down to basic preference.

But for GTA games mouse/keyboard is pretty close to broken. Especially the flying controls in the older games are completely impossible. The Vice City toy helicopter mission comes to mind.

Rolling Scissors
Jul 22, 2005

Turn off the fountain dear, it's just me.
Nap Ghost
Meh, as one of those people I just honestly find M+KB more comfortable to use and find no difficulty controlling things even in those type of games that people necessitate a controller to be used. Last such game I played was Sleeping Dogs and the only thing that infuriated me was the camera snapping when you reversed a car, did the same thing happen with a controller?

Rolling Scissors
Jul 22, 2005

Turn off the fountain dear, it's just me.
Nap Ghost

Baron FU posted:

But for GTA games mouse/keyboard is pretty close to broken. Especially the flying controls in the older games are completely impossible. The Vice City toy helicopter mission comes to mind.

And I played that too with M+KB and found the controls perfectly "controllable", maybe I'm just weird.

Io_
Oct 15, 2012

woo woo

Pillbug
I'm not sure that "console" is really a valid term with the switch to X86-64 this generation. It's more a case of "closed" pc or "open" pc.

Baron FU
Apr 3, 2009

Rolling Scissors posted:

And I played that too with M+KB and found the controls perfectly "controllable", maybe I'm just weird.

Well I guess we can agree that having the choice is good then. Since I had to put down Vice City until I got a controller mod before I could do the toy chopper mission.

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

Baron FU posted:

I found flying easier in GTA:SA using exclusively the keyboard than with a controller or with kb+m. Something about how the planes control with button inputs just made it much easier to make small subtle tweaks and I was able to pull off crazy stunts with ease (throttle and rudder with wasd, pitch and roll with keypad). Similarly, I found driving much better with keyboard and mouse. Mostly because the PC port of GTA:SA added full mouse look while driving. The increased situational awareness that gives you is huge. The camera controls while driving with gamepads were clunky. The driving model was such that analog input didn't really add much.

I do agree that there are some games out there that are just plain better with controllers, and I don't think that's a bad thing at all. But GTA:SA I feel is better in pretty much every situation with KB+M, rockstar did those controls really drat well. Which is great considering how poor the controls were for 3 and VC.

Anarchist Mae
Nov 5, 2009

by Reene
Lipstick Apathy

BigFatFlyingBloke posted:

I'm not sure that "console" is really a valid term with the switch to X86-64 this generation. It's more a case of "closed" pc or "open" pc.

I thought Closed HTPC or Open HTPC, but then HTPC is a "Home Theatre Personal Computer", consoles are more like "Home Entertainment Computers", there's not much personal about them :)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Baron FU
Apr 3, 2009

Dr. Video Games 0031 posted:

I found flying easier in GTA:SA using exclusively the keyboard than with a controller or with kb+m. Something about how the planes control with button inputs just made it much easier to make small subtle tweaks and I was able to pull off crazy stunts with ease (throttle and rudder with wasd, pitch and roll with keypad). Similarly, I found driving much better with keyboard and mouse. Mostly because the PC port of GTA:SA added full mouse look while driving. The increased situational awareness that gives you is huge. The camera controls while driving with gamepads were clunky. The driving model was such that analog input didn't really add much.

I do agree that there are some games out there that are just plain better with controllers, and I don't think that's a bad thing at all. But GTA:SA I feel is better in pretty much every situation with KB+M, rockstar did those controls really drat well. Which is great considering how poor the controls were for 3 and VC.

My biggest problem with GTA games and driving is the fact that you are supposed to hold down W and either A/D while also holding down S for breaking while turning. I can't see how that's good controls.

Edit: Heck add in a Q/E for sideviews at the same time in the older versions. It just gets way too cramped around the ASD area.

• Locked thread