Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Sophia
Apr 16, 2003

The heart wants what the heart wants.
I liked this episode, it was actually extraordinarily busy story-wise but didn't feel overburdened and British accents always lend a jovial air to the proceedings. As much as I do indeed love Sherlock, this show has a lot more fun with their re-imaginings of the staple Holmes characters I think. Joan Watson is amazing and the twist on Lestrade I thought was actually somewhat inspired. I got really excited to see this show back on my DVR and am glad it's back.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sophia
Apr 16, 2003

I kind of liked that P=NP was the solution as it was possibly a (weak) reference to the fact that a few Conan Doyle stories are literally impossible given what we know of science now, even though at the time I'm sure they would have seemed plausible to people reading. Conan Doyle himself probably knew better - the Adventure of the Creeping Man being a good example here - but if it was a sort of purposeful wink to his small dalliances into fringe science solutions, I'm a fan.

Sophia
Apr 16, 2003

The reason I know that Lucy Liu and Johnny Lee Miller are good actors is that it should be impossible for two people that hot to have no sexual tension with each other. But they do it and I'm glad. It's always one of the first points I make when recommending the show to people.

I really hope some of the non-Clyde tertiary characters are making some appearances soon though, like Mrs. Hudson and Alfonso. I've liked the backstory deep-dives but I'm missing that world-building ensemble feel a little.

Sophia
Apr 16, 2003

Platystemon posted:

Me too. Sherlock’s diagnosis of the situation was so quick I assumed he was lying.

I thought the early scene where he sent Joan those pictures of crime scenes and she instantly deduced the cause of death was a relatively clever set-up to the idea that Holmes, who's much more advanced than Watson, would be able to do that on most murders even more easily. We only see the weird or clever cases, and this guy was not particularly clever at violent crime. At the very least they laid the groundwork nicely that he could just bang out an analysis like that and be completely right.

Sophia
Apr 16, 2003

IcePhoenix posted:

I'm starting to miss Detective Bell and Captain Gregson. I know they want to focus more on Holmes and Watson but the interactions with the police were great and they've really scaled them back so far this season, I think.

Bell's "I don't know why you're complaining - I make it work!" about the bulletproof vest was my favorite throw-away moment of the episode.

Sophia
Apr 16, 2003

Regy Rusty posted:

It was the curious incident of the dog in the nighttime. :allears:

Hah, I didn't even catch that. I like it.

Sophia
Apr 16, 2003

Sign me on as someone who was really confused. I thought Joan was uncomfortable because she knew Mycroft was sick and didn't tell Sherlock about it, and she made up the sleeping with him thing as a plausible story for discomfort that he would believe because he is a baby about these sort of things. If it's true that's really weird because they have like, negative chemistry on screen.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sophia
Apr 16, 2003

Snipee posted:

I agree with this. Moffat is much better at writing for Doctor Who (a show about a time-traveling alien who really is superior to everyone and everything else in the room) than for Sherlock. Their interpretation of Moriarty was disappointing for the same reason. The guy was flatly insane, and he was constantly built up as this Nietzschean Ubermensch that no one could touch. I mean, I wanted a little more evil from the Moriarty in Elementary, but I was still very much satisfied with the writing. Elementary is just a much more realistic show about someone who just happens to be a few standard deviations above the norm; Sherlock is about someone with more or less magical powers explained away as "deduction".

Do not get me started about how perfect the Moriarty interpretation was for the Sherlock interpretation in the BBC show because I have so very very very many words about it in my head. There are aspects of Sherlock that I think hinder it, but none of them are the characters they made within the construct of that world.

I really like both shows because I agree with what someone else said that Elementary is the show you'd make if you didn't like Sherlock. They're almost complete negatives of each other in every significant take on the character. I think the magical haughty Sherlock wizard works for the 90 minute movie format, but one of the things that immediately caught my interest in this show was a speech Sherlock gives early on about how hard he has worked to develop his skills, to the exclusion of not only other facts but things like social graces or tact. In order to do what he does he couldn't take the time for anything useless, so instead of his largely anti-social behavior being something he was completely born with, it's a learned trait. One that, over the course of this show, it appears he will slowly unlearn. And the nice part is both interpretations are supported by the original work. Watson definitely sees Sherlock as a magical wizard (and often Conan Doyle himself gets tired of explaining the connections and just sort of hand-waves his deductions), but the story Sherlock also does an insane level of work and research to attain his skills and he's also able to function within a society.

Anyway, I would put both versions of the show in my Top 10 if they'd aired this year. They're offering different, good, stuff.

• Locked thread